FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Drunken Driving





mgeek
Read this article and tell me what you think.
killerqueen
Sad and depressing but very true. Drunken driving ruins your life and other people's life. There should be more control on the roads about this issue, and tests should be taken randomnly to check the level of alcohol a driver has.
SpellcasterDX
It's so sad...I wish there was some way to prevent drunk driving altogether.
RosenCruz
something no one should never ever tries...my dad had an accident because of it.....please stay safe .... Crying or Very sad Wink Arrow
DoctorBeaver
Although I agree that drunk-driving should be stopped altogether, don't be fooled by statistics.

Here in the UK we are not told the number of accidents caused by drunk drivers. We are given the figure for "Drink-related accidents"; and that is very misleading. The way they are put across makes it sound as if it was the driver of a vehicle who was drunk each time - but that is not the case. If a drunk pedestrian walks into a car, it's a drink-related accident. If a drunk pedestrian falls off a bridge & lands on a car, it is a drink-related accident. If a drunk walks into a cycle, it is a drink-related accident.

Drunken cyclists are also included in the figures. All 1 has to do is fall off his bike & need hospital treatment, or the police attend for any reason, and it is added to the figures.

When I was researching drugs & alcohol for my Doctorate I tried to get the actual figures for drunken-driving. I was told I could not have them as they are not actually recorded. You can believe that if you will; or are the figures less than the government wants us to believe so they keep them very quiet?

Certainly, I came across quite a lot of research on drink-driving that was conveniently swept under the carpet as it went against the official government line.

As I said, it should be stopped, but so should tired driving as that kills more people each year.
XsmashX
No drunk driving may be good rule, but people think, rules were made to be broken Very Happy
PatTheGreat42
If you're having so much fun drinking, why would you want to stop to go drive somewhere?
mattyj
Anyone who drink drives shows absolutely no consideration for themselves, their passengers or anyone else on the road

Its a weak, irresponsible act

i HATE drunk drivers
Wolf1918
My father was killed by some drunk teenagers who were drag racing on a bridge when I was 7 years old. I have always had a zero tolerance for drunk drivers. Saying "But I was drunk when it happened." is NO excuse for anything.

If someone dies because of a drunk driver, it should be treated as a 1st degree homicide with a death penalty option. I know that sounds harsh, but I had to grow up without a father and my mother had to struggle to raise me alone.

Oh, yeah, and the little bas****ds that MURDERED my father, got off scott free because their fathers were wealthy, they were under-age and it was a little hick town.

Chad
gugusm
It's quite simple, if you're drunk, don't drive. So simple, but so many people break that rule...
sulavaryal
yeah and sometimes breaking the rule breaks your leg,hand and even neck worst case you break your relation with this world Rolling Eyes
Donutey
Yea, don't drive drunk, just walk home, call a cab, or take a bus. It's that simple.
Afaceinthematrix
XsmashX wrote:
No drunk driving may be good rule, but people think, rules were made to be broken :D


Oh yes... made to be broken... That will sound nice after I murder someone... rules were NOT made to be broken, especially rules of this magnitude. Drunk driving should have zero tolerance because you're putting other peoples' lives in danger (and your own).
deanhills
It is really very sad. And here is the real tragedy for me. Those who are drunk are usually completely uninhibited and their judgment too impaired to judge whether they should drive or not. In fact they "feel" more able to drive than ever before. How can they be trusted to not make a decision to drive? Isn't it really up to us, the sober bystanders, to stop people who are drinking and about to drive, from driving? And of course this would never be possible in our society as as children we have been taught not to look for any trouble. To let others be. As yes, many of us offer to drive people we feel are impaired, and of course get refused in most cases and then leave it at that.

But what if someone you knew very well, had more to drink than they should have (after a stressful day for example, by accident on an empty stomach, just that one time!), picked up his keys and said he has to hit the road, his wife is waiting? I am sure we would be capable of saying something to the tune of: "do you think you should be driving?". And then of course when he insists, the way we have been trained, we have to let him go? And then when he gets into the car and starts to drive, he is not quite sure where all the lanes are and he wonders why everything is out of focus, but in that state still keeps on going? Do we only blame those who are drunk when they are driving, or should we be blaming ourselves in this particular example as well?
psycosquirrel
I've been in an accident as a result of others' drunk driving. It is quite sad that the problem still exists....

It was about two months ago, and I was on my way home to see my girlfriend. I am alone in my car (at the time a 1995 Infiniti G20), and am stopped at a red light. There is tons of traffic, so no one seems to be able to go anywhere.

The light had just changed, when I am shot forward across the intersection by getting smashed from behind. The vehicle behind me continues to push me forward, so I put on my brakes until the train of cars that I was heading came to a stop.

I got out of the car to see the damage. I had my foot off the brake, and was shifting at the time of impact, so the impact was not great enough to set off my airbags. I was unharmed, but the better part of a Volvo S60 had found its way into my trunk. Smashed through the entirety of the back of the Volvo was a Ford F150. Airbags had gone off in the other two cars.

There were two people in the Volvo - a lady in her mid 30's and her 4-year-old daughter. The Volvo's safety systems had done their job well, and the lady and her child had no major injuries. The driver of the Ford was a man in his forties. He was not visibly injured (save for airbag burns), so I prioritized him down, thinking that the lady and her kid get priority over the guy who caused the accident. The mom was in shock, and it was over 100 degrees outside, so I put both mom and daughter in my car, which was still running, AC on.

By this time, the cops arrived. They beat me to the guy, and immediately smashed his burned face onto their patrol car, cuffed him, and threw him into the back. He was so obviously drunk that he could barely talk or walk.

The paramedics arrived, and took the mom and daughter to the hospital to get checked out.

My car was still running, so with the mom's husband's approval, I revved my engine up and drove my car out from under the completely totalled Volvo. My trunk (and everything in it) was completely destroyed and the car drove a bit crooked, but it was still rolling so I refused a tow truck. The cops (another squad car arrived, leaving the other patrolmen dealing with the drunk ass) gave me the insurance information for the DUI guy, and said I was free to go.

My car was totaled by the insurance company, no questions asked. They could only give my what the car was "worth," $3000. I spent nearly twice that getting the car I have now (a Honda Civic). The G20 was way nicer than my Civic too.

I considered pressing charges, but the man was in jail and in debt from prior idiocy. So I let it lie, and figured my good deeds might pay me back someday.
arquivo
here in brazil the law is very heavy about it, if they catch you drunk driving you go in jail and in the most light cases you just lost your license to drive about one year and i like this because there is a lot of idiots around, those who cant control themselfs so i prefer to drunk at home of to be the target of an idiot car.
deanhills
psycosquirrel wrote:
I considered pressing charges, but the man was in jail and in debt from prior idiocy. So I let it lie, and figured my good deeds might pay me back someday.


Wow what a story, so well written, and awesome in taking responsibility for everyone. Way to go! Sorry about the car, and of course all the hazzles of the paperwork and I cannot imagine that one would easily forget an experience like this.
Nameless
People who knowingly drive while intoxicated should have their cars confiscated (even somebody else's if they allowed it). Furthermore, banned from alcohol for, say, 12 months. Amazingly impractical, but appropriate. That, or forehead branding.
James_Hicks
A person just has to know their limits. Some people can't handle even one drink. I could drive drunk without ever being pulled over and I drank a lot. It was risky but no one ever got hurt. I don't do that anymore. Been sober for years. I admitted that I had a drinking problem and just quit.
dcfive65
Its true, there are those who go over their limit and decide its ok to put your life and another life in jeapordy. I've been a passenger in 2 accidents that involved alcohol.
snowynight
Well I think drunken driving is against the law and those drivers should be sent to prison for months.

If you have to drink a lot and then go home, the best way is to find a friend to drive you home or take a taxi or find a hotel and not go home.

But who knows whether other people are driving after he's drunk? So one should be careful if he sees a car driving strangely or zigzagging.
bonestorm74
Yep it's not good. I've had personal experience with friends being killed after drinking. If you're ever in a position to stop someone driving after they've had too much to drink, please do it.
Gieter
Nameless wrote:
People who knowingly drive while intoxicated should have their cars confiscated (even somebody else's if they allowed it). Furthermore, banned from alcohol for, say, 12 months. Amazingly impractical, but appropriate. That, or forehead branding.


Think it would be rather hard to enforce your last proposition. 'Confiscating' someone's driver's license seems better then. In Belgium even bicyclists who ride drunk get their driver's licenses confiscated. Smile
Arty
They really need to raise the penalty for drunk driving ^^"
ptfrances
Yes I think that the penalty need to be important for people who have an accident when they are drunk.
Because in a way, it's like a murder because people know they are taking a risk

Wink
crimson_aria
that's sad. =( no one should drive drunk. it's too dangerous.
Afaceinthematrix
ptfrances wrote:
Yes I think that the penalty need to be important for people who have an accident when they are drunk.
Because in a way, it's like a murder because people know they are taking a risk

:wink:


They don't know it while they're doing it. I've never been drunk, but I've been around many drunk people. For instance, I was at a party last night and I was talking to my friend, who had drank a lot. I was telling him that he was extremely drunk (which he was) and he was denying it, insisting that he was only "buzzed."

Therefore, people should just make plans ahead of time so that they know from the beginning that they're not going to drive, and sober friends should help out by making sure that no intoxicated person gets behind the wheel and that everyone has a ride.

I usually help out there. Since I don't drink, I'm usually a "designated driver."
zyd666
in israel if u had drink more then 1 beer (750ml) u can't drive ...
watersoul
Beautiful poem, poignant and sadly true. Here in the UK you're supposedly allowed about one and a half pints and still be OK to drive legally, personally I don't drive at all after a drink, and depending on how much I've consumed I'll leave it 24 hours just in case.
I'm not the biggest guy in the world and the question is how big were the test people the health department used when making that 1 and half pint standard?!
No, don't ever want to lose my license, and certainly don't ever want to injure or even kill someone for the sake of a taxi home instead.
Cddhesh
Drunk ed driver driving vehicle can cause any disaster,I have seen in front of my eyes it was so horrible that still if it comes in front of my eyes i feel sad.It was almost evening, i was coming back home from market and at a distance of 50 meters from me i saw some workers sleeping on footpath, just thought came to my mind , that they must have worked hard all the day and taking rest,suddenly a car came with a high speed and from other side a truck, car was in great speed, to miss bang with truck driver turned his car and it went on footpath killing two sleeping workers.Later on i learn t that driver and his girlfriend who had drunk ed a lot were having fun all the way.
After that workers were taken to hospital, but it was of no use, and i participated in the event of beating that driver and girlfriend,Well it was very sad incident.
shkumbin
I think drunk driving is totally wrong and iresponsible, you can put yourself in danger and others, be it in the car with you or somebody else on the streets. Please never drink and drive and drink in moderation.

Cheers,
Shkumbin
Zombie
Drunk driving carries a bigger fine than some people know. Your first offense will cost you 1,000$.
Sphaerenkern
I know this story in german and someone made a short film out if it - we were shown it so many times and I disliked the movie already at the first time. Seriously, it annoys me.
But to the topic itself: I'd never drive drunk. I drove with someone who was slightly drunk ONE time because I had no driving license - so either I drove (I was sober and had a license for driving with parents, so I finished the driving school like everyone with a "real" license, but a year earlier - the german BF17) and would lose the possibility to get a full license or he drove and lose his license.
But I only did that because I trusted this guy - he drove slowly and carefully and took empty side roads.
We arrived without any accident, but I don't want to risk that again. I have a full license now anyway Smile
dalibor
I dont like drivers who drink and drive in same time!
iyepes
Last saturday I was driving my car to my home. I was returning from a Halloween party. I don't drink at all since 10 years ago, so I was sober. In the road to home, I found a terrible accident, luckyly nobody died.

It was my normal route to home, so I thought, it could be me involved in an awfull accident, hit by a drunk person, after being caring enough to stay sober all night. Can't this people be responsible? they could hurt others, why our society is so permissive about this?
Gonzalo
4 or 5 serious automovile accidents by night due to alcoholism around my area. It΄s pretty sad but somehow hard to control.
Seriously, do you all have a designated driver each drinking night? Think not. Me and my friends always end up calling a radio taxi when completely wasted, but they are very expensive, so...something further needs to be done.
tony
Yeah, it's very sad. And the caues of many accidents. People must learn to be smart about drinking or not drink at all.
torboxz
Wolf1918 wrote:
My father was killed by some drunk teenagers who were drag racing on a bridge when I was 7 years old. I have always had a zero tolerance for drunk drivers. Saying "But I was drunk when it happened." is NO excuse for anything.

If someone dies because of a drunk driver, it should be treated as a 1st degree homicide with a death penalty option. I know that sounds harsh, but I had to grow up without a father and my mother had to struggle to raise me alone.

Oh, yeah, and the little bas****ds that MURDERED my father, got off scott free because their fathers were wealthy, they were under-age and it was a little hick town.

Chad


I'm sorry for your father, bro, and really frustrated when you say the boy got off scott free. His father is the one that should be blamed. Irresponsible fathers like that should be penalized so they would remember it next time. Your son is your responsibility, be a good father.
winmark
For me drinking is totally wrong, let alone driving when you are drunk. A man should be in his senses 24/7 and you are not when you are drunk.
mgeek
winmark wrote:
For me drinking is totally wrong, let alone driving when you are drunk. A man should be in his senses 24/7 and you are not when you are drunk.


I don't have problems with drunken driving because I don't drive. There have been occassions however that I get so drunk that someone has to bring me home. If one gets drunk, but he has his own car, what should he do -- should he leave his car and take a taxi instead?
Related topics
Why is the USA in Iraq?
Alcohol
Punk,skinhead,emo jokes
I am getting my driving permit!
Driving sims you should check out
Driving Permit Test
Responsible Drug Use
help and tips for driving fast!!!
Amitabh Bachhan Driving a Car...
What it takes to be a Republican
Prison Break actor "Tweener" arrested
I Went To A Party
Winemaker Extraordinaire
What should the punishment be for drowsy driving?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.