FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who Still Uses Windows 98 "I do!"

Do you use Windows 98?
No I don't have Windows
30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
I Use Vista
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
I Use XP
33%
 33%  [ 19 ]
I use 95 what are you whining about?
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 56

CrearBIn
I think windows 98 is history? if you think so post here
Diablosblizz
Well, Windows 98 was a great operating system, and as the years past Microsoft has developed a much better operating system, including better graphics. The graphics in previous versions of Windows weren't the best. A lot of pixels back then, but that's to be expected. I used to use Windows 98 back in 2000 when my computer couldn't handle anything more, tried XP once but it lagged all the time.

I use Windows XP myself, and I am really tempted to go out and buy Windows Vista and dual boot just to try it out, I've heard both good and bad things about it. But, I don't really have $300 to go buy a "demo."

Overall, Windows 98 was much better than Windows ME which was just HORRIBLE, not even worth the time to make.
Fire Boar
Just a point - you didn't actually add an option to the poll to say "Yes, I use Windows 98"! Oops.

Win 98 was okay, but by modern standards it's inefficient, crashes a lot and is incompatible with modern hardware and software. Technology moves on, and now either Windows XP or Linux are the best choices.
Diablosblizz
True Fire, but like you said as technology moves on more and more are coming out, but back in 1998 it was a great system (for what was out in the world).

I forgot to mention, I use a laptop at school that runs 98 and it's never crashed for me once, although it made me mad when it didn't recognize my flash drive.
bloodrider
Windows 98 SP2 it's a stable system and even now if I need a Windows system to an old PC I will consider Windows 98 SP2 or else I'll use a Linux distribution Wink
swizzy
most indian schools and colleges still feel skeptical to move to windows xp, i remember we used windows 98 with great excitement a few years back after our school upgraded from windows 3.1 to 98 Smile

P.S: Our computer lab had 20 Pentium 1 connected to a Intel 386 server Razz
wicke
I don't see anything bad in Windows 98. Just run it in a virtual machine and you have a perfect solution for your NT incompatiblity problems.

I prefer Linux. Instead running old Windowses, it's exciting to try the most popular Linux distributions on old hardware. System requirements are high and 32 MB of RAM doesn't last long enough to get a complete modern desktop environment running on my old laptop, Compaq Armada 1592DT.
ocalhoun
I have given up 98, but 2000 is, as far as I'm concerned, the best windows available, and I still use that. (when forced to use windows). From XP on, they became more bloated and 'user friendly'. Also, sticking with older OS's lets you have a very fast system despite mediocre specs.
While more expensive computers are being slowed down by their resource-intensive OS's, you're getting things done faster on cheap hardware.
DoctorBeaver
My first Windows PC ran Windows For Workgroups. I've still got it lying around somewhere - probably at the back of the shed.

It is a 450MHz 486, 128k PC and worked great. I never had any trouble with it. OK, it was crap for games, but I'm not a gamer so that never really bothered me.

I liked WFW as I could keep the desktop uncluttered. My problem with later versions of Windows is that you can quickly get too many icons on the screen. When you install a new program, you have to go hunting for the desktop icon and re-position it.

To be honest, I don't remember a lot about Windows98. I didn't use it for long, I carried on using my WFW PC most of the time until XP came along.
balend
Windows 98. Lol. At the time it was a great OS, but seeing how far technology has come along is quite amazing. I personally don't run it, but a few teachers I know use it as their PC at work.
Donutey
Quote:
A lot of pixels back then

You made me lol, in most cases new operating systems have even more pixels! Rolling Eyes. I've still got an old box that has win 98 for some older programs, but I pretty much only use win xp and some linux (red hat and ubuntu). I really can't stand Vista, I installed it on my laptop, but it was generally slower and caused some programs to stop working with no real new features that I care about, so I just went back to xp.
Arnie
Quote:
450MHz 486
Epic overclock.
Quote:
Epic swapping.

I still use Windows 98 on my old Pentium III gaming rigs for compatibility with all Win32 games between roughly 1995 and 2003.
Studio Madcrow
I use a dual-boot Windows Server 2003 (with a few tweaks, it rocks on the desktop and I got it free because I'm a student) and openSUSE 11 configuration. I spend most of my time in Linux, but its nice to have Windows around for the odd game and to learn .NET programming on.
Arnie
Well, that was on-topic. Ever used Windows 98?
biljap
Ive used Windows 98 for several years and I must say that Ive never had any serious problem with it, I liked it. But its old. Newer operating systems come, offering newer and better software.

I currently use Windows XP and I am very satisfied, I dont have problems with it, it doesnt crash. It is easier to use than Windows 98 and it looks so nice and elegant. Smile
kerryworkman
Windows 98se all the way baby!!!! Well actually, to be honest I sold out a few months ago when I bought a new computer with Vista pre-loaded on it. Sad

So far though, aside from the preloaded drivers, I think I prefered my good old reliable 98 to the new stuff.
{name here}
I use that thing in an older system. It's more or less fun to play around with, and I can run old games without problem.
hummer010
My wife just recently ditched her old PIII laptop that was still running win98se. Now she has here desktop using XP and her new laptop is vista.

I've never upgraded beyond Win2k myself.
mehulved
No, I don't use Windows 98. I don't even use Windows.
Even when I started off as a Windows user, I got off with Windows XP, I came too late to the world of computing. Windows 98 was already ready to be put into history books then.
And, neither do I see a good reason to use insecure, unmaintained OS. Being an end user, I wouldn't ever use an unmaintained OS, whatever OS it is.
hunnyhiteshseth
Man i still use Windows 3.1 and DOS. And not just for fun, but for real serious work!!
fadirocks
i got no windows setup under xp
used to install 2kpro on some machines but with current hardware I face XP is easier to setup but then i strip out XP from anything that look like XP even on older system which makes it look like a 2k pro Razz
98se is waste of time i just don't like how it manages network and user settings
Older hardware i just installed linux like Ubuntu

note: both XP and 2k are in same family of Windows NT 5
Arseniy
I use Windows 98 since I saw the computer for the first time and I must say that I love that system Razz
The only thing I need is more powerful PC to run Windows 98 faster Smile
ssthanapati
I had Win 98 on the first computer i had... It was great until xp came... but it was a lot faster than xp. But i preferred xp because it crashed less than Win 98
Variablez
Windows 98. OLD! Lol its very old for me, I use vista now, nice and new, but so buggy!
pll
I used windows 98 in years 2000-2003 after I went to XP and now I'm stuck with Vista (came with my computer).

Windows 98 was a great operating system but now it's a bit old.
It was the very first OS I used and it wasn't so bad.

Used it on a computer with 128 mb ram and something like 10 gigabyte hard drive... And it was a great computer ! (for these times)
Diablosblizz
:O You had a 10 GB hard drive? I had a 4GB. 64 MB of ram and it ran 98 fine! It feels weird how we have such big hard drives now, compared to back then.
warriorpoets
Windows 95 OSR 2B was the best MS-DOS shell ever. Windows 98 Second Edition is a close second. But they aren't operating systems, they still ran on top of ole MS-DOS 7. Razz
devaco
Do you think that DOS are still important for Windows?
surdy
Yeah it is history pretty much . But there are people who still use it.

My dad owns a small business. He needs to maintain his accounts and stuff , for that he has kept an old P1 running on Windows 98 ...you won't expect him to upgrade when this works fine for him ( he doesn't use this system for anything else) . For internet and other stuff he can use the home computer.
dallae
i just went to a reputed newspaper house today to look into there computer problem. they have p4 relatively new one but the os is 98 !!!!. i was surprised. But the reason was valid enough !!!! They have really old version of softwares which are beyond upgrade so they needed to put 98 in. Shocked
leosthenerd
windows 98 is probably the best windows OS ever...XP is ok...
Tphilakone
Oh window 98 very old one i stop using till 2000
Dean_The_Great
Windows 98 may be okay now, but when it first came out it was as big a pain as vista! It wasn't until the service packs came out that it was actually a half decent OS. Then the exact same thing happened with XP. (I never really liked 2000 or ME. Just not great in my opinion)
internetjobs
hi.. windows 98 is very good for those using only c and c++ programing... do you guys know how fast it is?
bigt
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well, Windows 98 was a great operating system, and as the years past Microsoft has developed a much better operating system, including better graphics. The graphics in previous versions of Windows weren't the best. A lot of pixels back then, but that's to be expected. I used to use Windows 98 back in 2000 when my computer couldn't handle anything more, tried XP once but it lagged all the time.

I use Windows XP myself, and I am really tempted to go out and buy Windows Vista and dual boot just to try it out, I've heard both good and bad things about it. But, I don't really have $300 to go buy a "demo."

Overall, Windows 98 was much better than Windows ME which was just HORRIBLE, not even worth the time to make.

Amen.

Mom and Dad are actually still using our second family computer, it's running Win 98, and they've had it about 10 yrs. We finally got rid of all the Win 9x machines at work two or three years ago. Still phasing out W2K machines. We'll probably hold out as many XP boxes for the version after Vista. We have a few Vista machines so far, but nobody has been really impressed.
snowynight
windows 98..... I think the only reason for using it is that it's free.... or it does not urges you to download a WGA software.

However, it is connected with slow cpu low ram and decisions between antivirus softwares because at that time a software consumps nearly half the memory.

A g-cpu era with several gs of ram calls for the debut of a newer operation system.... I don't know whether windows 7 will be better, but anyway, a windows 98 is good enough if you only want to use it to type in words or articles and surf the internet..... of course, 98 is enough to post in a forum.... Laughing
Fire Boar
Windows 98 isn't free, not even free-as-in-beer. It's still very much the proprietary property of Microsoft and you still have to buy Windows 98 or get it free from a friend who doesn't use it any more.

If you want something free, use something other than Windows or Mac because neither of these will ever be free. BSD, Linux, UNIX, OpenSolaris... all alternatives. And all free-as-in-both-beer-AND-speech.
hunnyhiteshseth
Fire Boar wrote:

If you want something free, use something other than Windows or Mac because neither of these will ever be free. .

Well actually, technically speaking, these would become free after 70 years when there copyright expires. ofcourse, it would be interesting to see a thread at that time "Who uses 70 year old Windows 98, I do!!" Laughing Laughing
Arnie
Not all Linux distributions are free (no $ involved).
Fire Boar
They are free-as-in-speech though. Unlike what Windows will be 70 years from release. What you pay for is the high quality setup and professional support. So I see it as paying for Linux support, rather than for Linux itself. It just all comes in the package and if you don't want to pay for that, get something else that you don't pay for. Smile
[FuN]goku
While i have xp, on all my machines, and xp/linux on my laptop, i DO still have one pc with 98 running on it. I love 98, i was using it up until..... 2003,... or 2004 i think then i finally got xp. But i still have it running on onen box mostly for nostalgia... What can i say, it's probably one of my favorite OS's (linux is nice but.. meh) and i had some VERY VERY good times on a 98 machine. In fact, thats when it was just me and my dad living together, and we used to host a huge lan party every weekend. *sigh* sadly those days are gone. Ah well. It was good while it lasted Razz
misterXY
98? lol used every windows that's out from beta to rc to releases, vista beta 2 wasn't bad but if l had to pick a favorite os from windows... ME defiantly, lol because l knew it wasn't going to work. but l choose win 2000 NT is a handy os to this day.
[FuN]goku
misterXY wrote:
98? lol used every windows that's out from beta to rc to releases, vista beta 2 wasn't bad but if l had to pick a favorite os from windows... ME defiantly, lol because l knew it wasn't going to work. but l choose win 2000 NT is a handy os to this day.
EEEEWWW windows me..... i must say.. it was horrible... when that came out, i had it for an hour, and then i went back to 98... but yeah windows 2000 isnt bad
Tphilakone
Very old one window 98 . I used it ten years ago . I stop use it its very slowly
MeddlingMonk
All of my machines now use XP. I have only recently stopped using Windows 98SE, as it was on an older machine which I no longer need.
deanhills
Wow! That is a loooooong time ago! We're talking antiques now? But yes, I seem to recall at the time that is was one of the very best operating software systems. I purchased a copy quite a number of years ago (set of two floppy disks), thinking to use it as I really like software without the bells and whistles of all the add on features, but never got that far to play with it. Windows 2000 was super. I have worked my way around XP, initially not being too crazy about it starting with the Home Edition, the business one is not too bad, but if I could have a choice, the older Windows software was much simpler, did much more for me. I am holding on to XP as long as I can, holding my breath and pinching my nose for the inevitable Vista plunge in the future. Waiting for most of the bugs to be sorted out first. As well as praying that Vista gets competition from someone like Linux. Smile
Arnie
Well whether it gets competition on your computers is up to you, but if you like the way Windows works and you're waiting for a free alternative you should pray for ReactOS. If you're willing to do a switch to the Unix mentality (which can be quite harsh in the beginning and cost you lots of time) then Linux should be usable already.
keane
Wow! I can't believe some are still using Windows 98. Smile I still got it on my old 2GB hard drive. LOL... It's funny, because my flash drive holds 2gb of storage and it's a lot smaller. Technology really flies fast.
DinoBob
<-

I don't remember it at all. Very Happy ~ Ok, well yes I do. And quite well actually. I have one of these nice boxes leftover about 20 ft. from here sitting on an old desk, and to boot, a Win3.1 manual that weighs somewhere between 4/6 pounds, too. Twisted Evil

We'd probably still be using it at my family's restaurant on the account & payroll machine, if the power supply hadn't blown on the box and prompted us to just snag the data off the HD and do a platform upgrade about nine months ago.. The only part that was a pain was the fact that all the entries had been stored in a custom program built back in the mid-90's.. Which meant having to convert/port more than a decade worth of logs. v_vU

Though the OS was certainly still doing the job years after it's EoL tag. It was kind of cool having that window (lame pun-sentence intended x)) to the not-so-long ago past, but I'd see no reason to recommend an out of date version of Windows past legacy games or that kind of specific use.
Arnie
I still have one of those Win311 manuals. They're very useful for smashing mosquitos during the summer. No, really!

Nowadays with XP you get a lousy piece of paper.
misterXY
[FuN]goku wrote:
misterXY wrote:
EEEEWWW windows me..... i must say.. it was horrible... when that came out, i had it for an hour, and then i went back to 98... but yeah windows 2000 isnt bad

lol ME wasn't my choice, l just knew what was going too happen, just crash, dump files, and repeat, now that's reliable! lol My opinion a good operating system is one you know what's going too happen, and volla, no surprises! Vista has too be on my top list though, like l said the beta's weren't bad, and the only thing wrong was the search but it was a beta, what do you expect? 1.5 DDR ram, not DDR2, it ran faster then my xp (after l removed bloatware) which was weird since the sp1 of vista was alot slower, which is confusing. After using Vista on my little brothers laptop, which was technically alot faster and newer then my x86, but was very slow and had nearly the same amount of problems of ME, but after HP(which could be a factor of the issues), gave us a upgrade pc since the last one was in the repair alot (example, the first 3 months of owning it, only two weeks we actually had it!). But the bastards at HP gave us a 32bit instead of 64bit Vista? It's a AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 with 2 gb DDR2.
Anyways, down with ME, remove it from the history of MS period.
jackill
I was using Win98 alongside with old Office 97 at work, to print fies from Excel at old OKI dot-matrix printer Smile In Windows 98 it prints directy to the LPT, under WinXP PT is emulated, so it can be probematic.
steve076
I love Windows 98SE and genuinely think it is the best OS for 32-bit single core processor based systems. It has it's niggles, but it's quick and easy to use. It's not half as bloated as XP and Vista, and therefore will outperform on the same system. Obviously with newer technology coming along 98 now can't keep up, but it's taken almost 10 years to get to that point, which is very impressive.

If you've got a system that's a few years old, stick 98SE on it and you've got a great internet PC - and it's more familiar than Linux for those people more used to Windows systems.

98SE gets the thumbs up from me! Dancing

Diablosblizz wrote:
I forgot to mention, I use a laptop at school that runs 98 and it's never crashed for me once, although it made me mad when it didn't recognize my flash drive.

Oh and, there are people out there still developing stuff for Windows 98 - check out these USB Flash Drive Drivers....
biljap
I can hardly remember how Windows 98 looks like. I am used to Windows XP and I am more than satisfied with it. I also like Vista. I like using new programs.
Why would anyone still use old operating system, unless you have a really old hardware? Confused
I dont know, is there still support from software developers? I am not so sure about it
Arnie
Quote:
Why would anyone still use old operating system
http://www.oldversion.com/
Because newer is not always better.
evilgeniuself
I still use Windows 98 for my desktop, although my laptop is running Ubuntu. I grew up playing Galaxy of Games and other things on the 98, and I never really moved away from it. My mom has an XP desktop, although it runs extremely slow for some reason (we are getting a guy to look at it soon). I think Windows 98 is a fine OS....
o_man
up until last year I still used 98 as my main OS. 400 megahertz processor, 96mb of ram, and that thing screamed. I'm talking about the first edition with hardly any patches. My dad still uses ME, and we've never had any issues. okay, so it crashed once, big deal. I love old windows stuff.
aningbo
this is crap. lol. but anywaz different people have different mindsets... whats the use if they are gonna use it for some specific purposes. no point in upgrades i suppose.
hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:
I am holding on to XP as long as I can, holding my breath and pinching my nose for the inevitable Vista plunge in the future. Waiting for most of the bugs to be sorted out first. As well as praying that Vista gets competition from someone like Linux. Smile

If you have holded for so long, it would be beter to hold for few more months as Windows 7 beta is out and I guess its stable release would be out in few months. So, instead of vista plunge, take Windows 7 plunge!!
Flakky
I am actually shocked about the 13% which still use 95. I use Vista.
Donutey
My Dad uses windows 98, mostly to run older DOS programs that he still uses... Though I think I'm going to upgrade him to XP pretty soon, since he asked for it.
manlear
It is ancient history. So many new O.S's have come out its not even funny. If you like your windows stay with it just upgrade. I would like to try something new like Ubuntu though.
Tuvitor
Windows 3.11 for Workgroups FTW!!

Just kidding. Laughing

I have on occasion in the last few years used Windows 98 in a VirtualBox or VMWare setup to run some old game I had an itch to play, but that's about it. Windows XP or Linux for me.
forkei
many years ago i use windows 98 ,but now i use windows xp ~!
tamilparks
i am using windows 98, its very good not affecting to the virus when using internet, but the latest technology is not there,
Starrfoxx
I wish I could have Windows 98 on my computer for dual booting, since some of my old games don't work correctly on XP. The computer I built, however, has newer hardware that 98 has trouble recognizing, though. So, although 98 will install on my hardware, it will crash when trying to install drivers for graphics, motherboard, etc.

I use XP, and I have Windows 98 running on Virtual PC. I wish there was a more updated version of Virtual PC, so that games would work better.

I like everything I'm reading about Windows 7 and it would probably make my system run much better since I have a dual core, 64 bit processor. However, XP does everything I need. I figure I'll upgrade when I absolutely have to.
Fire Boar
Starrfoxx: You should use VirtualBox, not Virtual PC. Virtual PC is sorely limited in what it can do, and VirtualBox has all sorts of nice features AND is under active development. Check it out.
tw34kfr34k
i've used it for several years and cant say anything bad about it
But its time to move on dude..get vista or at least xp.
Keep in mind old OS's have many security leaks and arent safe at all
JBotAlan
Ahh...Windows 98. I used 98 Second Edition, which greatly fixed USB support (although it was still a hack...unplugging without ejecting caused a blue screen reading "Make sure to eject safely next time"...). I had a 20GB drive (epic WOW at the time), ~300MB of RAM (another epic WOW), and a 233MHz processor (not so wow). It ran beautifully!

I continued using similar systems--I got up to about 500MHz, still running 98SE, this time sticking a wireless G card in and connecting to my neighbor's wireless--up until the summer after my junior year (not this last summer, but the summer before). I then stepped up to XP. I stuck there for a while, and now I'm using Ubuntu. I like it much more than any of my Windows phases, and I really doubt whether I will ever go back.

But 98SE was a good OS...
Starrfoxx
Fire Boar wrote:
Starrfoxx: You should use VirtualBox, not Virtual PC. Virtual PC is sorely limited in what it can do, and VirtualBox has all sorts of nice features AND is under active development. Check it out.

How well does it run games? Does it utilize your graphics card or does it emulate an older card while running the Guest OS?
tamilparks
ya the windows 98 second edition is very good and nowadays we cannot update the windows 98 because they stopped the windows 98 updation
deanhills
dallae wrote:
i just went to a reputed newspaper house today to look into there computer problem. they have p4 relatively new one but the os is 98 !!!!. i was surprised. But the reason was valid enough !!!! They have really old version of softwares which are beyond upgrade so they needed to put 98 in. Shocked
I also had old sofware that became obsolete because of newer versions of Windows. One of those was a light version of Adobe Photoshop. I was lucky and happy to change to GIMP and in the end it turned out to be both an improvement as well as free. Clinging to old sofware is probably not a good idea from a progress point of view. Always an opportunity to explore for better ways and alternative software.
nivinjoy
As of now i am using Xp..But i had liked Windows 98 very much and still likes it very much...!! Still i like Windows 98 more than Xp or Vista...!!
Starrfoxx
nivinjoy wrote:
As of now i am using Xp..But i had liked Windows 98 very much and still likes it very much...!! Still i like Windows 98 more than Xp or Vista...!!

Windows 98 has a certain old school charm to it, unlike 95 or 3.1. Although I have liked XP for many years, I'm becoming a big fan of W7 since the free RC has come out to download and try out. It's a smooth OS that I enjoy using and playing around with.
gtoroap
Well, I think that Windows 98 SP2 was a great OS. However, Win XP has many features and add-ons that is so atractive... and I consider really exciting GNU/Linux. So, it matter of what like to anybody.
soljarag
i think i have windows 98 on one of the computer that i NEVER turn on.. but even my 600 Mhz old computer has XP on it
Maserman
Where's an option "I run Windows 7"?
Marked as Vista . . .
hunnyhiteshseth
Maserman wrote:
Where's an option "I run Windows 7"?
Marked as Vista . . .

You see when the poll was created there was no version of Windows 7 that was in public domain. Smile
Chinmoy
never seen as hackable an OS. But now i use windows7, new core, new features..
abohrandy
Chinmoy wrote:
never seen as hackable an OS. But now i use windows7, new core, new features..

which OS is not hackable?
98 or 7
hunnyhiteshseth
No OS is unhackable. Period.