FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Amazon or Ebay?

Ehere to sell?
amazon?
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
ebay?
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
I don't know.
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

profbis
I have some jewelery to sell. They are handmade and antique, and really elegant.
Would it be better to sell it on amazon or ebay?

Who gets the more traffic, and what kind of business strategy should I use?
tobking
I would go with eBay. I think Amazon.com is good when it comes to books, but with regard to jewelery I don't think it's a good choice.

However, this is my personal opinion and I don't have any proof for it. What do the others think?
selim06
I personally love Ebay. Auctions make me excited, and actually the prices are cheaper. But I think you should use Amazon. I find Amazon more reliable and solid; so for luxury you may want to prove neither you nor your products are unexceptional.
You may also have a look to this: http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/Investing/MichaelBrush/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=9338350
ptfrances
I think Ebay is more complete than Amazon Wink
bogger
fixed price but lower percentage of profit, amazon

debatable price 90% of income, ebay, for antique jewellery, I'd say ebay is a better bet alright Smile
joostvane
I use ebay, because everyone does. In my region there aren't alot of people that use Amazon. I'll just follow the crowd!
Variablez
eBay seems much more popular, I would say eBay, I like it a lot Smile
Cddhesh
according to me ebay is more popular and bigger then amazon.Amazons specialty is selling of books.
ebay sells everything and has better GUI.ebay also provides many many varieties.It looks good then amazon.
00steven
i realy don't know but i only use ebay so i think it is the best

greetz Steven
myhearing
00steven wrote:
i realy don't know but i only use ebay so i think it is the best

greetz Steven

I only use Ebay, but just because they charge such high commission rates, and because they no longer allow negative buyer feedback and because they cant sort out ANY problems if you are the seller, im really starting to hate it. That being said, im making money out of it, so should i be complaining??lol.

It kinda pisses me off that i put all the work in and they get a cut, then again, if i wanted to advertise anywhere else, it would cost me more. E.g local newspaper add would cose me 20 ($35) at least and thats just a local paper, Ebay reaches millions.

Also, some ppl might be interested in this:

http://www.ebaycalculator.co.uk/

It calculates how much you pay in fees to Ebay, PayPal (which is also owned by Ebay!!.lool) Shows just how much of a rip off it is!!

Yes, yes, many of you will say stop complaining..

This is an excerpt from an article from August 2008 on The Register...Fees are just going up..lol

"Fees are split between up-front charges and final value fee - a percentage of the selling price. Items sold for less than 29.99 used to be charged 7.5 per cent, those selling for between 30.00 and 49.99 at 4.5 per cent - both will be charged 9.9 per cent under the new scheme. However, volume sellers can get discounts of up to 40 per cent on these fees if they sell enough volume and provide good enough service. The situation is further complicated by adding in PayPal fees to the total - eBay encourages sellers to use PayPal. PayPal protection will go up from the current 500 to unlimited from the end of September."

So my final question is:
Does anybody know how Amazon fairs up against Ebay interms of Fees, listing prices etc? Ive only ever BOUGHT off Amazon, never sold? Somebodies input would be nice!! Very Happy

Thanksss Smile
carlos007
Ebay is for sure most popular taking into consideration all the World, so if yo think about export sales, you can use Ebay. Amozon, as it was said in prvious posts, is rathere for books, CD etc
the-guide
I think both of them are the good place to sell, however, you will get faster result on ebay.
indianinworld
For Bidding and selling, for sure ebay works out well.

Cool
kimdon5
Amazon and ebay can both be great websites to make money, however each has its downfall. Amazon holds your money and distributes it to your account once a month where ebay distributes it to your paypal account immediately and depending on your feedback and the length of time you have had your account open they may hold it for up to 21 days or until you receive positive feedback.
chiragpatnaik
I am a big amazon fan. I would go with amazon anyday. I like their customer service. UI's and a general good merchant air about them
fullmetalalki
it surely would seem that at least with ebay, your merchandise will probably have a bigger audience and therefore would be able to be sold faster and at a greater profit to you. however, i don't really know how amazon works, so i might just be biased Very Happy
deanhills
If you are going to restrict your market to local Amazon would probably be a really good bet. Internationally though its shipping policies are restricted. It for example does not ship CDs, software, etc. to the UAE. Only books. And my experience lately has been that the more expensive express delivery is anything but express.

With eBay one can come to an agreement with the seller in ways that are different than Amazon. I had PayPal problems right from the bat go, and the seller of software I was buying agreed to receive cash by courier. I had been that desperate to get the software.
rjraaz
deanhills wrote:
If you are going to restrict your market to local Amazon would probably be a really good bet. Internationally though its shipping policies are restricted. It for example does not ship CDs, software, etc. to the UAE. Only books. And my experience lately has been that the more expensive express delivery is anything but express.

With eBay one can come to an agreement with the seller in ways that are different than Amazon. I had PayPal problems right from the bat go, and the seller of software I was buying agreed to receive cash by courier. I had been that desperate to get the software.

Always hear about both of the website but have a question about those sites in my mind.

What is the procedure to sell old used things on these sites?

For example i have a old PC and want to sell it and someone want to purchase it and have ordered, but how they manage to deliver the item is it through me or i have to send that item to website owner first then they deliver to that person. Rolling Eyes Question
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
For example i have a old PC and want to sell it and someone want to purchase it and have ordered, but how they manage to deliver the item is it through me or i have to send that item to website owner first then they deliver to that person. Rolling Eyes Question
As far as I know the delivery arrangements are between the buyer and seller. They are usually up front. I.e when the product is advertised the seller will say how the seller wants to be paid (the more options the better of course) and how the product will be delivered. Usually delivery by courier is the safest and most secure. You also have better control over documentation that the product has been received by the buyer. You'd probably have to watch out for customs regulations of other countries if it is an international deal, hence why so many US companies elect not to do business internationally. Too much of a headache. For example I remember when I was living in Canada, purchasing something that had to be transported over the border to Canada immediately incurred enormous costs with regard to customs duties etc.
rjraaz
deanhills wrote:
rjraaz wrote:
As far as I know the delivery arrangements are between the buyer and seller. They are usually up front. I.e when the product is advertised the seller will say how the seller wants to be paid (the more options the better of course) and how the product will be delivered. Usually delivery by courier is the safest and most secure. You also have better control over documentation that the product has been received by the buyer. You'd probably have to watch out for customs regulations of other countries if it is an international deal, hence why so many US companies elect not to do business internationally. Too much of a headache. For example I remember when I was living in Canada, purchasing something that had to be transported over the border to Canada immediately incurred enormous costs with regard to customs duties etc.

Ok but what about the payment that made by buyer obiously it is more important to everyone:?:

does it make before the delivery or after delivery, or it controlled by website.
standready
profbis wrote:
I have some jewelery to sell. They are handmade and antique, and really elegant.
Would it be better to sell it on amazon or ebay?

Who gets the more traffic, and what kind of business strategy should I use?

I think before I went with either of your choices, I would talk to a local jeweler. They might offer to purchase from you or at least give you an idea of value. Consider posting for sale them on Craigslist. Craigslist will cost you nothing.
With Ebay you must be careful to describe item correctly as "handmade". Ebay will side with buyer on most conflicts leaving you, the seller, with nothing.
lilysc1
Amazon to me is my favorite website to sell stuff on but it's my opinion so it's up to you to decide which one to use.
crystalkey
You can also look into www.etsy.com, set up your shop, and sell directly ....
ujjwalshrestha
According to Alexa.com amazon attracts more traffic than ebay. I think amazon is better when dealing with customer and their website is user friendly than ebay. I have used both for selling with same level of success.