FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best cure for a common cold?

kody
I've been sick for a week and the common cures haven't done anything for me. I've tried soup, sleep, coldFX, ecinacea, lots of fluids, etc. Nothing is working.

Who's got a great cure for the common cold?
eday2010
There is no cure for the common cold. And it's best not to take any medication for a cold either, since they impede your body's ability to fight and become immune to it. Just do what I do and ignore it. Eventually it goes away. Staying warm will help since your body wont have to use energy to keep itself warm and can use that energy to fight the bug. But otherwise, there isn't anything that will cure a cold. Just tough it out.
kody
In other words, "Suck it up, cowgirl!"
kevbailey
Drink lots of tea if you have a sore throat, but asside from that there isn't much you can do. Be thankful that your immune system is getting stronger, maybe?
killerqueen
All you can do is attack the symptoms with things like rest, tea, etc. Very Happy
Vladalf
When I have a common cold I usually stay in house and drink hot tea. I start playing a video game, or I start listening to music, or watching a nice movie, it takes your attention from the cold and it eventually goes away. Tea is my favourite drink. Wink

-Vladalf
Diablosblizz
I was just thinking this this morning. I caught a cold yesterday at school, from being the first couple of weeks and all, and I was wondering. My friend said she takes vitamins to help her body stay away from the cold, to be strong and such. It appears to have worked for her.
Liu
eday2010 wrote:
There is no cure for the common cold. And it's best not to take any medication for a cold either, since they impede your body's ability to fight and become immune to it. Just do what I do and ignore it. Eventually it goes away. Staying warm will help since your body wont have to use energy to keep itself warm and can use that energy to fight the bug. But otherwise, there isn't anything that will cure a cold. Just tough it out.

This is the best answer. There is no cure, the only thing you can do is wait it out and aid your body in the recovery.
DoctorBeaver
My favourite is to eat a stonking hot curry, drink copious amounts of brandy, put loads of blankets on the bed & sweat it out.

It may not work, but jeez it's fun! Very Happy
Idoru
I can give you the usual crap about vitamin C and garlic,
and that's not a bad start.
Though, the best and only way is to wait it out and rest
a lot.

Fun huh? Smile
PatTheGreat42
Due to the nature of the human immune system, nothing is really gonna help you get over it sooner. You can get some stuff that will reduce the symptoms, but it's gonna take about a week for you to really be 100%. Stupid immune system.
Pantherus
Well going with the Roman's theory of medicne and Galen's theory of opposites
The symptoms are cold and wet so the remedy be warm and dry.

Therefore ancient diagnosis would be CHILLI POWDER.

Although my personal fave is bowl of boiling water and you hover your face over with a towel over your head.

It clears everything out!!!

Also Hot Toddy

Whisky, stir in a spoon full of honey with some boiling water and a squirt of lemon juice.

Delicious and something to look forward to when I have a cold

Hope this helps and you feel better soon!!
mattyj
Dont take anything that reduces your fever, that is your body fighting the virus

Drink plenty of fluid and try eating foods with Vitamin C in them
kody
Pantherus wrote:
Well going with the Roman's theory of medicne and Galen's theory of opposites
The symptoms are cold and wet so the remedy be warm and dry.

Therefore ancient diagnosis would be CHILLI POWDER.

Although my personal fave is bowl of boiling water and you hover your face over with a towel over your head.

It clears everything out!!!

Also Hot Toddy

Whisky, stir in a spoon full of honey with some boiling water and a squirt of lemon juice.

Delicious and something to look forward to when I have a cold

Hope this helps and you feel better soon!!

Good call on the Hot Toddy! Thanks for the recipe too, I've had them before but never made one. I'll totally have one tonight! Thanks!
Pantherus
Hey Kody Lemon juice is optional but I quite like it adds a certain something off to make one now too haven't even got a cold lol

Enjoy!!!!
erlendhg
Actually, drinking water is a very good cure for many things. Maybe you should try it Razz
bellebello
Mix honey and lemon with hot/warm water. That'll soothe your throat. Always works for me.
sulavaryal
what i did was i drank a lots of hot water and a more than normal amount of pickle. didn't help much though i just waited it out. Very Happy
sheedatali
My doctor always says that if is only little bit of flu and soar throat then I should let it complete it's run. Taking medication for things like this makes your Immune system rely on medication and not recover quicker. The Immune system should be allowed to overtake on it's own unless there is danger to body for serious infection.
jmlworld
There is no medical promise to cure the common cold. Just keep yourself warm and use large amount of water and tea. Wash your body (or at least your face) with warm water.

Stay home for a while and don't go out for walk.

I think that is a better solution.
psycosquirrel
When I get sick, I usually drown it.

Drink tons of fluids (don't make yourself sick), and just relax. It will simply take time.

I've found that Vitamin C supplements make my colds worse, as does "anti-cold" medicine. It seems to prolong the illness, but make the symptoms a slight bit better.

Read a book and sleep all day.

Don't forget to eat either. Your body needs nutrients to kill off everything. I know I'm getting better again when I start to get really hungry all the time.
Kaseas
Shower lots, eat well, drink well (not alcoholic beverages though), stay active. The faster your metabolism, the faster you'll fight off the bug. (I may be totally wrong there, but it works for me)
kody
Kaseas wrote:
Shower lots, eat well, drink well (not alcoholic beverages though), stay active. The faster your metabolism, the faster you'll fight off the bug. (I may be totally wrong there, but it works for me)

Hmmm... that goes directly against the hot toddy i had last night. Which seems to have killed off the last lingering bits of cold! Huzzah!!
James_Hicks
Vitamin C & Zinc. It it works for AIDs victims then I assume that it will work for anybody. Good luck with that though.
tony
Oranges and Orange Juice -lots of Vitamin C!
driftingfe3s
I just caught a cold also, sucks becuase I haven't had a cold in a long time. I've been taking garlic, zinc, vitamin c and echinacea and trying to drink as much fluids as I can. One down side is you have to piss like crazy all the time. I can't even sit though one of my lectures without wantint to go. Hopefully it is all worth it and it shorten's the duration of the time that I am sick or at least, tone down the symptoms or maybe both!
PennyLane
If it lasts more than a week I go and see my doctor. But otherwise I just use something to keep my nose clear, I dress warm enough and I drink lots of tea... Oh and I take vitamins every day... I've had fewer colds since I take them...
kody
Still got the cold. Guess it's because there's a half dozen other sick people at the office. I start to heal, then just re-catch it from someone else at work! Arrrghhhh....
Crinoid
What usually works for me:
First days:
- compensate exposure to low temperature by applying soft warm on the chest and feet, between heating sessions - warmer, than usual, cover for the same body parts;
- a lot of warm to hot tea with lemon, several cups a day;
- 1-1.5g (this is max dose) of vitamin C first 3 days, if there is flu component - add echinacea;
- aspirin or similar non-steroid anti inflammatory medications, that work for you, stop it if they have no effect.

If more, than week, antibiotics may be due.
But I'm not qualified to give health advice, don't blame me afterward Rolling Eyes
mikakiev
Take a vitamin C tablet per hour. My sister always cures her cold in this way.
kody
mikakiev wrote:
Take a vitamin C tablet per hour. My sister always cures her cold in this way.

and gets a ton of cavities in the process? Yikes!
Like someone else probably already said, you cant really do much other than stick it out... it doesnt last longer than 14 days on avg. And sadly a virus is something you cant do anything about Sad
jenss
kody, You really shouldn't have issues with "recatching" the cold from your coworkers. Once you build up the antibodies to kill the virus your body keeps them around. If another cold germ enters your body the antibodies kick its butt. The cold germ doesn't changes fast enough that you would catch the same thing a week later. It's possible that you actually have Pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough. It's been going around. The Chineese called it the hundred days cough. Research it online to see if your symptoms match. The bad news is that there is also no cure for that but I think that you are no longer contagious after about 25 days.

Jen
standready
kody wrote:
In other words, "Suck it up, cowgirl!"

Yeppers! Lots and lots of fluids, lots of rest and stay warm. Hope you feel better soon. When you do get back to the office wipe everything down with a disinfectant.
kody
jenss wrote:
kody, You really shouldn't have issues with "recatching" the cold from your coworkers. Once you build up the antibodies to kill the virus your body keeps them around. If another cold germ enters your body the antibodies kick its butt. The cold germ doesn't changes fast enough that you would catch the same thing a week later. It's possible that you actually have Pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough. It's been going around. The Chineese called it the hundred days cough. Research it online to see if your symptoms match. The bad news is that there is also no cure for that but I think that you are no longer contagious after about 25 days.

Jen

A few years ago I thought I had whooping cough, I had a cough for 6 months or so. Can you re-catch it?

When you say, "It's going around", where is it going around exactly?
pashmina
Some of the treatment that i use for myself to cure common cold are
I take stream breath with the aroma of the cold medicine, this always seems to work for me.
If the case is unbearable I take the nostril drop, which shows its effects as soon as it is applied.
MunMun2o2o
For me...
I will take a hot bath ...
After that i drink warm water then i start to play computer Twisted Evil
snowynight
Drink plenty of hot water.
nigam
How was it kody? what is the best cure that you have ever took from what they had advice you on what to do?
reiika101
There is no actual cure, I would just recommend eating some soup and taking Vitamin C. Eat fruits that are essential with Vitamin C as well, like kiwi. Believe it or not, kiwi has more Vitamin C than orange. Smile
kody
nigam wrote:
How was it kody? what is the best cure that you have ever took from what they had advice you on what to do?

The wife and I both still have this nasty cough that refuses to leave. The best one that's worked for me in the past is ColdFX though. Hit it hard right when you feel like you're catching a cold (like 10 pills a day), and the cold won't last very long.

I was just too lazy this time around...
Battle_Off
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Due to the nature of the human immune system, nothing is really gonna help you get over it sooner. You can get some stuff that will reduce the symptoms, but it's gonna take about a week for you to really be 100%. Stupid immune system.

I agree!

If we were all robots, we wouldn't need an immune system, we would just need software, and virus protection
houdney
My family would probably say to me:"take a spoonful of cement and harden up"

The best cure is rest and water. Since all the toxins of your body including the cold virus you have need to be eliminated, it's best to flush your system out. It'll also help with the phlegm which you cough up (never take decongestants, the phlegm wraps around the virus to contain it so the quicker you can cough that crap up the better).

Just carry a bottle with you everywhere and keep sipping. Get through 2-3 litres a day.
luxgud
My doctor said that sleep and rest will shorten the duration of a cold. If you don't, the cold will eventually 'go' but it will take longer.

The Vitamin C cure is folk lore and myth.
watersoul
As far as I know or have ever read, there is no cure, just let your body do its thing and win the battle.
I usually just try to make myself feel a little happier with a "hot toddy" my Grand dad suggested:

Half a squeezed lemon juice, a teaspoon of honey, a good shot of brandy and hot water in a decent sized mug. It may not cure the cold but oh yes it makes me feel better and drift into a nice snooze wrapped up on the sofa! Smile
bonestorm74
I don't think there's a magical cure. Best bet is to keep up the fresh fruit and vegetables, drink plenty of water and basically try to live healthy. Your immune system will be stronger, so you'll be less susceptible to colds and you'll also experience a shorter duration and lessened symptoms when you do get one.
bigt
It's not as effective as one would think, my friend swears by orange juice concentrate straight from the can. He eats part of a can like a slushie in one sitting. Not a great idea to eat a bunch b/c the body can only use so much vitamin C at a time and the rest goes down the toilet, doh Smile It might be a mind thing, but I've tried it and it seems to help.
erlendhg
tony wrote:
Oranges and Orange Juice -lots of Vitamin C!

Actually, doctors or scientists claim they have proven that vitamin C actually does not help at all when it comes to the "common" cold.

But still, many knows that it does help. I don't know, but believe that it is a question of psychology as well. That if you think that it helps, it does...?

What do you think?
- does vitamin C cure the cold
- does believing in vitamin C cure the cold
- or does it just fix itself, and you eating vitamin C has nothing to do with it
mmaroman
Tea, Vit C, Zinc, Hot tub, plenty of rest, Vicks and a caring GF
deanhills
Gargling with plenty of Bicarbonate of soda first thing in the morning. I use about 3/4 spoon in half a small cup of warm to almost hot water. It's worked so far for me this season. Also eating healthy and getting regular fresh air.
Radar
I don't know about cure. Preventative measures would all be common sense - stay healthy, exercise, eat well...
appsapps
Bowls of ramen, with lots of cayenne pepper (as long as you don't have a sore throat). It really helps to clear out the nose and reduce post nasal drip.
deanhills
appsapps wrote:
Bowls of ramen, with lots of cayenne pepper (as long as you don't have a sore throat). It really helps to clear out the nose and reduce post nasal drip.
Welcome back! Ramen sounds delicious, I am all of a sudden very hungry.
lovescience
Lemom, and more vitamin C fruits and vegetables.

Guavas, peppers, sprouts, and broccoli are some good fruits and vegetables for getting vitamin C.
playfungames
Just near the new year, I caught a horrible cold from my friend. New year meant a lot of parties for me and I did not want to miss out on any of those parties. So I had to get rid of the cold as soon as possible and this is what I did:

1) Did the thing where you heat up water and use the steam to heat your face by facing the steam in a 2) pot and covering with a blanket from the back. I don't know the term for this.
3) Rubbed Vicks Vaporub in my chest, throat, nose and foreheads.
4) Drank a lot of warm chicken soup and water.
5) Stayed warm in the bed.

Took me two days to get well. I'm glad that my fun was not destroyed by a horrific common cold.
TheGremlyn
Best cure is to avoid it all together. If it's cold out, dress warmly and stay hydrated. Eat well and eat your fruits and veggies. Get lots of sleep so you're rested. Wash your hands when you can, and don't sneeze or cough into your hands because you're bound to touch your face.

If you happen to get sick, get lots of sleep, stay warm, drink hot tea and soups and eat well. If you're suffering you can use something to cover up the symptoms so you can function. Keeps you hands clean and blow your nose often to get the crap out.

Avoid sick people and things they touch. I'm not a germophobe but when I see some person sneezing and sniffling all over the place I cringe when I nearly touch a surface they're been near. I just don't want to get sick.
codegeek
My dad always said that if one takes medicines, one's cold lasts for a week and if one doesn't, it lasts for 7 days. So yeah, it will be over soon. Just don't do anything to make it worse and take more rest than you normally would.
deanhills
TheGremlyn wrote:
I'm not a germophobe but when I see some person sneezing and sniffling all over the place I cringe when I nearly touch a surface they're been near. I just don't want to get sick.
When I was doing shopping in the green grocer section of my favourite supermarket two weekends ago, noticed a very sick attendant sneezing right over the vegetables, some of which was uncovered as well, particularly the leeks that I was going to buy. Poor guy, he was really very sick, but must say put me right off buying anything in the veggie side of the shop. Sort of a real eye opener.
raaeft1
I take Irish coffee before sleeping. Or I mix rum or brandy in hot water; add honey and drink it.
This concoction helps me sleep without bothering about the cold.
dude_xyx
Drink warm stuff like tea and drink only hot water. vitamin C will help it too.
Sabbadon
during the day: freshmade orange juice
in the evening, before going to bed: hot milk with honey and whisk(e)y (or brandy) Wink
Deline
Hmm, when I start feeling bad because of a cold, I take maaany orange juice, vitamin and specially drink liquid...
darthrevan
I remember when I was in school, a science teacher said if somebody made a cure for the common cold, they would be rich. There is no cure, just time. I like to eat hot stuff even more when I have a cold. Makes it easier to breathe Wink
foumy6
Good old chicken noodel soup of course. Razz
D'Artagnan
lots and lots and lots of water, that's how i manage it
chartcentral
I get colds from time-to-time. As for my remedy: I just drink a lot of water and some medicine especially it already makes my head ache. I also make sure I wear protective gears (cap, umbrella, jacket, etc.) to protect me from the heat and cold, and I make sure I don't get drenched in the rain.
spinout
The three W's

Water
Warmth
Whiskey

No that lastt one shall be "resting" instead of an alcohol...
mzprox
Huge doses of C-vitamin is certainly helping. I have it in powder form, Even 1-2000 mg/day is fine.
Colleymax
Hi,
I think There's no cure for the common cold, but it's important to make yourself .
RoylanM
What I do is get a nice bowl of soup some cold medicine then I lay down wrapped in heavy blankets.Then I make sure I dress warm when I go out.
fouadCh
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

It's not the fault of our immune system if common colds are caused by at least nine unrelated groups of viruses, of which Rhinovirus is the most common and least severe, fortunately. Rhinovirus exhibits extremely high mutation rates which explains why there is over 100 different serotypes (viral types reacting to different antibodies/serums).. and why we can't build immunity against common cold.

Recovery from a cold can take up to two weeks.. The best way to combat it, as already said above, is by getting plenty of rest and drinking a lot of fluids... you should also consider taking your usual medicines that help relieve the symptoms: pain relievers, nasal decongestants etc..
likeabreeze
Does Vitamin C really work?
I've been told that it's a rumor...
fouadCh
likeabreeze wrote:
Does Vitamin C really work?
I've been told that it's a rumor...

If you are talking about that general idea that "consuming vitamin C would decrease the risk of catching a cold", then yes it's just a myth... The hypothesis that vitamin C prevents colds (which has been popularized in 1970 by the Nobel Prize-winning chemist Linus Pauling in his book "Vitamin C and the Common Cold") has been convincingly falsified...

Besides, getting mega doses of vitamin C (1000 mg a day or more) isn't helpful at all.. Vitamin C is an essential element (no doubt about that) but our tissues can't use more than 200 milligrams a day...