FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flat-Panel TVs

Favorite flat-panel TVs
LG
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Panasonic
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Pioneer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Samsung
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Sony
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Vizio
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

bigt
I am looking for a new TV. It needs to be a flat panel. A friend recommended I get a Samsung or Panasonic. I'm on the fence about LCD vs. Plasma; leaning towards LCD from store experience. The room it's going in has windows that will be on the right side of the TV and none directly facing it. I do want an HD model w/ several input options including from a PC.

Any suggestions, comments, and experiences would be appreciated! Smile
psycosquirrel
Well, it is all about price.

If you want ultimate performance, go with a Sharp Aquos.

The next price scale down would be a Sony, LG, or a Samsung.

After that, brands like Olevia and Westinghouse.

Finally, in the lowest tier is bargain brands like Vizio.

Basically, you can get a 42" Vizio with 1080p for 1/3 the price of a 42" Sharp Aquos with 1080p.

But the Vizio will have ghosting, tons of little fuzzy anomalies, only last 3 years, and will have terrible decompression, leading to graininess. On the other hand, the Aquos will live longer than you, have colors more realistic than real life, and probably give you an eyegasm (hah, a joke from me.)

How much do you have to spend? Having personally dealt with brands like Vizio, I would advise against them. At least go with a Westinghouse.
bigt
psycosquirrel wrote:
Well, it is all about price.

If you want ultimate performance, go with a Sharp Aquos.

The next price scale down would be a Sony, LG, or a Samsung.
How much do you have to spend? Having personally dealt with brands like Vizio, I would advise against them. At least go with a Westinghouse.

Thank you. Similar to everything I have been reading and everybody's prices. Everything runs together a bit after a while, so it's good to have other opinions. My budget is around the Samsung level. I'm going to see what the local stores have as far as LCDs in that range.
Srs2388
the vizio's don't show a good pic... I have a sony bravia in my room it has a damn great pic... the biggest vizio is in the living room. It wasn't expensive.. but the pic was awfully grainy then we got digital cable and it was a little better.
jonchalk
Here is what I did.

As you may be aware that in 2009, digital broadcast will be replacing analogue signals (TV) so cable companies will be offering digital cable boxes for their customers that will work on almost anything.

That is a good thing for your case.

Why?

Simple: get a decent digital cable box that has HDMI outputs. Choose a computer monitor that has at least 2 inputs: a vga and either DVI or HDMI. If you get one with vga and DVI, all is not lost, just get an adapter that allows you to connect a device with HDMI to a DVI monitor.

That is it. As most TVs with tuners are sort of obsolete (unless you want to pick up digital HDTV signals off air). Even if you have a TV with a tuner, you will still need a digital cable box, PVT or HDTV cable box. So go ahead, do what most people do not expect you to do. Buy a good computer monitor (the biggest you can afford) and you are all set.

Good luck.

Smile
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
Simple: get a decent digital cable box that has HDMI outputs. Choose a computer monitor that has at least 2 inputs: a vga and either DVI or HDMI. If you get one with vga and DVI, all is not lost, just get an adapter that allows you to connect a device with HDMI to a DVI monitor.

That is it. As most TVs with tuners are sort of obsolete (unless you want to pick up digital HDTV signals off air). Even if you have a TV with a tuner, you will still need a digital cable box, PVT or HDTV cable box. So go ahead, do what most people do not expect you to do. Buy a good computer monitor (the biggest you can afford) and you are all set.

I would agree with this (although computer monitors tend to be smaller than most TVs). In this respect your screen could then double as a TV and computer monitor.

In terms of brand, of the few I have had experience with, I find Panasonic is the best. We used to have a Panasonic CRT TV and VCR - they lasted 18 years before finally dying (which wasn't bad timing, considering that digital had come on the scene by then).