FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Animal aggression

speeDemon
Ok, let's start..

I have a labradore, and hez about 6 yrs old now. He has some aggression problem, he doesent like it if you touch it, pat it and stuff....

Well, if he wouldn't like it, then no problem, but the thing is that he growls for less than a second, if you toouch him toooo much, and if you don't get away, then he attacks you!

my sis, who is his bestest friend, has also been attacked...
my dad has also been attacked,
my mom too,
and yess, me too..

by attack i dont mean a fatal kind of thing, but still its dangerous... and really odd, speacially for a labradore.....
He has been with us since he was as big as a rat! but still theres some problem with him... donno what..

If there is any one out there with any solution, please do reply.

And oh yes, if your pet is also having any problem, you can mention it here if you want to..
dcfive65
I had the same problem with a pitbull terrier i had years ago. It must've been its pitbull inheritance or she was born and treated badly. It would never want anyone touching her when she was eating. She would literally bite with no mercy. She also caused a few stitches on my lip once. Crying or Very sad
ocalhoun
If nothing like this used to happen, but it just started happening, try taking him to the vet. It is possible that he's gotten some kind of skin condition, rash, or bug bite that makes it painful to be touched, so he gets aggressive to keep it from happening.

Other than that, such behavior from a dog that you know has never been mistreated mystifies me.
speeDemon
well..

when he was a puppy, lets say.... really small, at that time he did'nt do anything...

but afterwards... as he grew.. the aggression came in.... we took him to the vet 1ce or 2wice but now he wouldnt even go there...

We took out one simple explanation...

we used to give him his injections like anually or monthly... and for that we had to tie his neck around a pole or something with his collar chain.. and we also acted very politely...

we though that when we touch him, he thinks we are going to give him injections.... thats why he reacts... though we think it is a mental problem...

and oh yes dcfive65 when dogs are eating, they sometimes do get angry if you touch them.. so dont do it ,its natural for some breeds
TVme
NaturVet is a company that makes some stress relief vitamins and minerals for dogs like "Pet-Ease" and "Quiet Moments". My Boston Terrier is very hyper and sometimes I give him stress relief pills for short periods and it seems to work for awhile. If you try this, mix it in with wet food. I had some success with this. By the way - at first I actually got a pharmaceutical prescription for anxiety from my vet and it did not work. Good luck to you.
paul_indo
Sounds like you may need to see a professional dog trainer who might understand the psychology of dogs and figure out the cause, and more importantly be able to train your dog to be handled ok.

I have three dogs, two of which were mistreated when young, but both of these grew out of their behavioral problems within a couple of years or so with lots of love and attention.

As your dog is six years old it should be well past this so I think a good trainer might be able to help you.
Crinoid
Have no dogs, cats only. I also would join voices for getting professional help, from both: veterinarian and those, whose profession is deal with such consequences, and know where to draw the line.
My cat, after being adopted from shelter, didn't allow touch itself too much, growled, if someone passed him, when he was eating, could even make fast deep scratch and bite. I think, that he was too concentrated on his food and forgot about everything around. Moving dishes away from foot traffic helped a lot.
Dealing with him as if he was feral cat (which he isn't, just had tough life on street for some time) helped within year. No touching without his wish during this time. Now he is catching up with this and I'm his designated back scratcher Smile

If this is some behavioral or mental pathology, it could be dangerous. Try not to wait until it could be too late (knock on the wood).

Good luck!
zbale
You should definitely get professional help: this dog is under your responsibility and you cannot afford to have it bite anybody.
mikakiev
zbale wrote:
You should definitely get professional help: this dog is under your responsibility and you cannot afford to have it bite anybody.

The dog can be killed by someone as a self-defence if the dog tries to bite someone.
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
Sounds like you may need to see a professional dog trainer who might understand the psychology of dogs and figure out the cause, and more importantly be able to train your dog to be handled ok.
This sounds like the best suggestion to me. Could be that he is also incompatible with the home, that has been known to happen too. Perhaps a professional dog trainer may be able to give the best advice.
jwellsy
Is everyone fearful around him?
What do you do when he misbehaves?
How much exercise does he get?
Has he been neutered?

The shots aren't an issue, dogs don't hold a grudge. He is reacting to his environment and your energy/fear. Use a muzzel and take him to a vet, especialy if it's been a few years since his last checkup.

If he gets a clean bill of health from the vet, then he basicly doesn't trust/respect the energy of his humans. If no one else in your pack will assume the role of pack leader, then he feels it's his job to be the pack leader.

Have you ever put him on his back and held him down by his chest until he submits to you (at this point use a muzzel first)? Have you taught him basic discipline commands like sit, laydown, stay or come? This biting thing sounds like a dominance issue. You, your sister, mom and dad all have to be viewed by him as pack leaders. You have to be calm assertive with him and not allow avoidance behaviors.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
Is everyone fearful around him?
What do you do when he misbehaves?
How much exercise does he get?
Has he been neutered?

The shots aren't an issue, dogs don't hold a grudge. He is reacting to his environment and your energy/fear. Use a muzzel and take him to a vet, especialy if it's been a few years since his last checkup.

If he gets a clean bill of health from the vet, then he basicly doesn't trust/respect the energy of his humans. If no one else in your pack will assume the role of pack leader, then he feels it's his job to be the pack leader.

Have you ever put him on his back and held him down by his chest until he submits to you (at this point use a muzzel first)? Have you taught him basic discipline commands like sit, laydown, stay or come? This biting thing sounds like a dominance issue. You, your sister, mom and dad all have to be viewed by him as pack leaders. You have to be calm assertive with him and not allow avoidance behaviors.
You sound like an expert on this and everything makes great sense in the way you explain it. In your experience, do you think that a 6-year old dog still has a chance to change its behaviour at that age? How about the people as obviously they would have to change their behaviour too? If only one in the pack takes charge, can it still make a difference?
fx-trading-education
jwellsy wrote:

I agree with that. The behaviour of your dog is totally unacceptable and you have to show him that it is. It looks to me that it is an education problem because it doesn't look that your dog wouold have some "mental disease". And Labradors are usually calm and nice.

It is extremly important for a dog to know his place. And his place is the last one in the rank of the family. If it is so he will submit to all family members. But many dogs get agressive because they are not educated well and they see themselves as the dominant member or the second in line (they will obey to their "master" but will be agressive against other family members)

In my opinion the ony way to solve that is to re-educate your dog. he should see that he is the last one for all activities. For instance it is important that he eats the last one after all other people have already eaten. If he is served first obviously he is the boss ! if he complains or get a bit agressive he should be punished (doesn't mean hurt mean but for instance forced him to lay down).

I personally have a dog that weights more than 45 kgs and a daughter that is 3 years old so you can imagine that I can not let the dog be agressive. He is watching the house so he can be a bit threatening to foreigners but if my small daughter shouts to him, grabs him or push him he just moves away. In that case the fact that the dog lives outside and that all the family members live inside helps a lot to show that the dog has a lower status.
jwellsy
TY Deanhills. Every elder/ancestor in my my family that I have known or known of always had hunting dogs. I've had my own dogs for almost 50 years now. I don't claim to be an expert on anything. It reminds me of an old saying "A young man knows all the rules, an old man knows all the exceptions". What that has to do with anything I don't know.

Anyway, a lot of Labs I've known mature later than other breeds. Some don't settle down till after 10 years old. Some Labs never grow out of a puppy stage. Even given that, there is no reason to not make them mind. As cute as the book/movie "Marley and Me" is, it makes me sad how irresponisble those dog owners were to allow that dog to exert his dominance and lack of respect to his humans.

Can a 6 year old change? Absolutely yes! He will probably be glad to give up the role of pack leader and find some balance in his life. He is acting out of instinct. Wouldn't everyone like a less stressful job for the same rewards?

It may be neccessary to bring in a trainer to show the humans how to be calm assertive with him and break this fear-retaliate-fear cycle they have going on. The humans need training, the dog needs rehabilitation.

If only one person becomes the pack leader, it will help for that one person. But, it could cause the dog to be even worse to the other people in the house. He could easily become very possessive and overly defensive of his one human. He needs to accept all of the humans in his family pack and any humans accepted by his pack as leaders.
speeDemon
ah.. guys, I'd really like it if you would answer my question rather than discussing other stuff, you could make a new thread for that if you want to.. but please post any solutions, if you have any,,
jwellsy
speeDemon wrote:
ah.. guys, I'd really like it if you would answer my question rather than discussing other stuff, you could make a new thread for that if you want to.. but please post any solutions, if you have any,,

Are you serious, or trolling?
speeDemon
C re US

serious.. Smile

I dont mind though, but well my problem isnt really getting solved, is it..?
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:

I dont mind though, but well my problem isnt really getting solved, is it..?

Have you had your dog looked over by a vet yet?
fx-trading-education
speeDemon wrote:

I think people try to answer your question.
I already gave my answer but if you want it in short : start to educate your dog. That is ni my opinion the best solution.
And if you cannot do it yourself hire somebody who will educate it for you.
You will probably be surprised to see how your dog will behave with a stranger that knows how to "manage" a dog
kriszara
speeDemon wrote:
Ok, let's start..

I have a labradore, and hez about 6 yrs old now. He has some aggression problem, he doesent like it if you touch it, pat it and stuff....

Well, if he wouldn't like it, then no problem, but the thing is that he growls for less than a second, if you toouch him toooo much, and if you don't get away, then he attacks you!

I agree with the previous posters. If it is recent, check for a physical condition, make sure he is not in pain.
If it isn't physical then it is a dominance issue. He needs to learn that the humans are in charge and you may need professional help at this point.
mikakiev
My Dog is Dog Aggressive.
What Can I Do About It?

By Ed Frawley

One of the most common problems that dog owners email me about is a problem with their dogs being dog aggressive or aggressive to other animals. There are many, many different reasons for dogs being aggressive to other dogs, cats or other animals. This article will only address a couple of areas. I am currently writting a book that attempts to list all of the reasons for dominance and aggression. At this time I have identified a little less than 30 catagories.

To understand the solution to these problems one must first understand the cause of this aggression. The most common causes are:

1- Once a dog has been attacked by another dog or even badly scared by another dog. Many times once a dog has been attacked it will be dog aggressive its entire life. This only needs to happen one time in a dog’s life .

I compare this to a woman who has been raped. Being raped has a life long effect on a woman. A dog who is attacked suffers similar trauma. More often than not being attacked or badly scared often changes them forever.
ponda
Ok, let's start..

my sis, who is his bestest friend, has also been attacked...
my dad has also been attacked,
my mom too,
and yess, me too..

by attack i dont mean a fatal kind of thing, but still its dangerous... and really odd, speacially for a labradore.....
He has been with us since he was as big as a rat! but still theres some problem with him... donno what..

If there is any one out there with any solution, please do reply.

And oh yes, if your pet is also having any problem, you can mention it here if you want to..
------------------------------------------------------

Train him. That's really the best you cand do I think.
natilovesmike
OK,
First of all I need to repeat what others have said, because its important. Then I will give you my advice:
1- Take the dog to the vet, you need to know if the dog is in pain, sometimes dogs developbone or muscle problems and don't like to be touched because it _hurts_ them. You need to rule that out first.

2- Call a professional dog trainer, I STRONGLY recommend you find one that uses positive reinforcement methods and not punishment or pack ideas. (try www.apdt.com to find a good trainer in your area).

Ok, now...I will tell you why using puishment or forcemful methods won't be very effective or humane and I will tell you what you can start doing on your own.

When you use punishment or forceful methods the dog is stressed, and when an aggressive dog is stressed...well, that can be bad. Besides when you use punishment all you are telling the dog is _don't do this!_ but you don't tell him what is OK to do. There will be times when you will say no, but it has to be followed by a yes! otherwise the dog will find something else to do on his own, something you probably don't like either. Also, punishment and forceful methods usually use a leash, which means that if you don't have the dog on a leash...you probably won't have control of him

Positive reinforcement means to use a reward everytime the dog does something good. A reward can be a treat, a toy, attention, a walk, anything your dog likes a lot! So,

1- Make a list of the things your dog absolutely loves! That is what you will be using as rewards.
2- Say a work such as "good boy" or use a clicker (see www.clickertraining.com) and give the dog a tiny treat (small as half of your pinkys fingernail) Repeat this many many times in many many different situations, it doesn't matter what the dog is doing..just say "good boy" (you can say anything you want, just be consistent) and give him the treat within 2 seconds of saying the word.
3- With the las exercise you will teach your dog the meaning of the word "good boy", which in this case is, "I like what you did! do it more often!". And that is what happens when you reward a behavior, the behavior appears more often. (This is basic psychology)
4- Now that you started communicating with your dog, make sure you _only_ reward your dog when he is doing something good. If he is quietly sitting next to you, if you touch him and he is not growling, if he licks your hand...anything that shows you the dog is _comfortable_ around you.
5- If the dog does something you don't like (i.e. growl) ignore him and take the treats away. NEVER hit your dog, chocke him or do anything to make him feel even more stressed, this will only make him NOT trust you. Just walk away from the dog and put the treats away. If the dog follows you, ignore him, give him your back, don't look at him. In extreme cases you can lock him in a room (but only for 10-30 seconds, not longer!).
Hopefully the dog will relax and learn that you won't hurt him. BUT this will only work if the dog has NO medical condition...

And again, call a trainer that can guide you and teach you a lot more on how to build on that communication with positive reinforcement. Its hard to do it in writing, you need to watch an experience trainer to learn how to read the dog, timing, etc..

Hope you find a good trainer and that what I said helped.
andiec
but dangerous, watch out. moka has only one testicle so he goes around like you took it from him. we were gonna get him neutered but the other testicle would have been hard to find and could have hurt him. he's nawing on my leg now. maybe he wants some pomeranian treats. hmm I dunno it's like somedays he likes you and somedays he wants to be alone.
andysart380
dcfive65 wrote:
I had the same problem with a pitbull terrier i had years ago. It must've been its pitbull inheritance or she was born and treated badly. It would never want anyone touching her when she was eating. She would literally bite with no mercy. She also caused a few stitches on my lip once. Crying or Very sad

i just adopted a 4 month old pit terrier , she was a stray and i cant seem to make her wait for the food...if its on the ground shes going for it and she eats it like its her first meal in days every time...any suggestions on that?
ocalhoun
andysart380 wrote:
dcfive65 wrote:

i just adopted a 4 month old pit terrier , she was a stray and i cant seem to make her wait for the food...if its on the ground shes going for it and she eats it like its her first meal in days every time...any suggestions on that?

Some dogs will do that forever- and if there's enough food available, they'll eat so much they get sick and maybe die. Others can be trusted with an always-full food bowl, and will only eat what they need.

If she's getting in your way for feeding, take the bowl somewhere else, fill it, and then bring it to her. Tell her to sit and stay (hopefully she's trained for that already). Then, slowly put the food down, but if she moves, take it back out of her reach again, and tell her to sit and stay again. If she moves before you tell her to, don't let her eat. After doing this for a little while, she should be very well behaved about it, and you might be able to tell her to sit and stay, then fill up the bowl on the floor.
driftingfe3s
ocalhoun wrote:
andysart380 wrote:
dcfive65 wrote:

Some dogs will do that forever- and if there's enough food available, they'll eat so much they get sick and maybe die. Others can be trusted with an always-full food bowl, and will only eat what they need.

If she's getting in your way for feeding, take the bowl somewhere else, fill it, and then bring it to her. Tell her to sit and stay (hopefully she's trained for that already). Then, slowly put the food down, but if she moves, take it back out of her reach again, and tell her to sit and stay again. If she moves before you tell her to, don't let her eat. After doing this for a little while, she should be very well behaved about it, and you might be able to tell her to sit and stay, then fill up the bowl on the floor.

This is exactly what I do with my newest dog who is the same way. She's responded pretty good and actually sits before while I hold the food up. Still once i put the food down she starts eating and its like a tornado and its like she's never eaten in months. I don't know if there's much I can do to fix that. I've tried several things to try and correct it but it seems nothing gets to her when she's in that feeding zone.
LittleBlackKitten
It's all about what you're teaching the dog. If you're not acting like the pack leader, then this dog will take over as pack leader and start telling YOU what to do and what not to do, since you're not doing it. Try looking up things from the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan. The man is a genius!
azil
it depends...