FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Power outages -Hurricane Ike

Wolf1918
As you all probably know Hurricane Ike hit in the gulf coast around Galvastan Texas. That's several hundred miles (close to a thousand, I think) from where I live now in Ohio. But we had severe wind storms from it last Sunday.

My uncle and I had gone out to a movie that started at 2pm. About 15 minutes into the movie the power went out! (they gave us coupons to come back for another movie)

Any way, the news said that 1.4 million people were without power here! Almost a thousand miles from the hurricane. Our power was out all day Sunday, all day Monday, and all day Tuesday. The electric finally came back on at 8:50 pm local time, Tuesday night.

Luckily we had plenty of candles, but my uncle had to drive 30 miles to a place that makes ice to get ice for the coolers to try to save the food because no place locally had ANY left. Also no one had any flashlights or batteries.

Oh and BTW, when we came home from the movie (or rather, the lack of movie) a huge tree had fallen in front of the house next door to my uncle's apartment. My mini-van was parked right there, that tree missed my van by just 4 inches!!!

Chad
Liu
Glad to hear that things are going well for you over there.

I was in Houston last month on a business trip, and the weather was fairing pretty well. Albeit a bit hot, however it was fine. Weird how things can change so drastically just like that in such a short period.
ocalhoun
That's nowhere near as bad as a direct hit though. One year, the place where I lived in Florida had three hurricanes hit within 40 miles. The power went out for all three, and for the last one, the power stayed out for over a month. Nearly everybody in the town now has generators, though it was next to impossible to get one directly before, or for a long time after the storm. (Stores would sell out before they even finished putting a new shipment on display.)
airh3ad
Hurricane and tropical storm advisories, radar, information, and news what if we are not prepare and we didnt know it is coming fear of our self is there.where glad Hurricane and tropica storm here in our country is quite rare.!
apple
I live in the Caribbean and we get storms and stuff almost all year....lucky for me tho I live in Trinidad & Tobago and somehow hurricanes head right to us and they always head away before we can be severely damaged.

people in my country keep saying...."God is a Trini"!

lol
DoctorBeaver
Wolf - look on the bright side; at least you weren't injured or worse!

I've got a friend in Austin and apparently the storm was following him up Highway 30 last week Confused

I live in the UK and thankfully we don't get that sort of storm here.
sondosia
I live in Beavercreek, Ohio and I STILL don't have power, and the people said I won't get it til SUNDAY.

Needless to say, I am not very happy. That's a full week without electricity.
Wolf1918
DoctorBeaver wrote:
Wolf - look on the bright side; at least you weren't injured or worse!

I've got a friend in Austin and apparently the storm was following him up Highway 30 last week Confused

I live in the UK and thankfully we don't get that sort of storm here.

Oh, believe me, I am looking on the bright side. No one in my family was hurt, no one I know was hurt, the tree missed my car, although the force of the wind did blow the tree against the rear bumper and scratched it up. VERY minor compared to what COULD have happened if the tree had fallen and crushed my car or even broken the back windows. I am extremely grateful!

My uncle and I could at least listen to the battery operated radio but my aunt had the worst time of it, she's deaf and her only form of enjoyment is reading and TV with the closed captioning. (she's 83 years old and mostly bed ridden) With no electric, after the sun went down, she couldn't even read. She was bored to tears and candle light wasn't even really enough to talk with her because she couldn't see well enough to even read lips and while I can sign well enough to spell out words, I don't know sign language well enough to just talk. It was a rough few days and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Chad
RosenCruz
you americans have a weird climate out there....full of storms and hurricanes...god help you guys.here we have to deal with Earthquakes Crying or Very sad
sulavaryal
where i live power outage is an inseparable part of our daily life
jmlworld
The US is becoming one of the worst countries when it comes to climate.

@Wolf1918, we don't care whether the electricity is off here, I would say you are lucky if you have 24/7 electricity. The power may outage for a week here and we don't feel it since we keep small electric generators at home. You should get one for your home because you don't know when the weird electricity is going off Very Happy
Donutey
Most of my family is in the region near where Ike came ashore (mostly slightly north of the coast). One just got power back yesterday, and the other (who is closer to Houston) is probably going to have a two more weeks without power. What's bad is that in the towns where people evacuated to (mostly just north of houston), the people are staying in the public schools so all the kids are missing a week of schooling.

They're supposed to be building dedicated shelters, after Katrina, but most of them aren't finished yet.
deanhills
In South Africa there are regular power outages as they are short of power. The reason being that the present Government made a huge miscalculation in shelving future plans for power stations at the end of the nineties. The power outages are unplanned of course and before you know it, you may be driving in an area where the traffic lights are not working and it is completely unpredictable how long that would last, one hour, two hours, three hours or even much longer than that. Or you may be in a shopping mall and all of a sudden all the lights are out, and businesses would just close their doors. Or you may be watching your favourite movie on TV and all the lights going out. Production of small generators has become big business in the country. When I was visiting friends of mine they had a specially designed light that automatically turns on when there is a power outage. And note I am talking about BIG Johannesburg right now, as well as across the whole of the country.

Having said that however I am really sorry for all the natural disasters in the US. This must be pretty awful and beyond comprehension, just to survive having lost all you owned. No comparison. Looks as though those areas in the Gulf region are really not the best to live in anymore.
psycosquirrel
I had a few friends that got hit dead-on by the hurricane. They are back online occasionally through generator power, but the infrastructure is still mainly down.

Bad weather has been demolishing us for awhile. Let's hope it gets better soon...
miacps
ocalhoun wrote:
One year, the place where I lived in Florida had three hurricanes hit within 40 miles. The power went out for all three, and for the last one, the power stayed out for over a month.

Hey ocalhoun, what year was that? It must have been quite a while ago or it mainly connected with central Florida & the pan handle.

Were you around for hurricane Andrew? I live in Miami and was lucky enough to have the eye of the storm pass directly over my house. It was one of the most bizarre experiences I've ever had in my life. The whole house was shaking and throbbing for hours, then suddenly pure calm and silence for about 10 minutes, give or take followed by a relapse of wind blown debris shaking the house's foundation. The whole experience was actually fun as a kid, my parents didn't enjoy it as much as I did though.

Honestly, I kind of like it when a small hurricane knocks the power out for around 3 days. Neighbors quickly turn into family and friends when our electronics are taken out of the picture. It really transforms the neighborhood. People share food, hang out and talk, play cards. Just things that never happen when theres TV or computers around.
soljarag
Hey!

I live north of Houston and I JUST got my power back!!!! its been about 10 days / 11 nights Sad

the first 4 days were ok, because weather was nice and cool, but then it started to get really HOT and that really sucked... I had to sleep downstairs in the floor because the upstairs was too hot

The whole time the power was out I had to resort to doing stuff I used to do when I was a kid... Play with "tinker toys" and shoot the BB gun in the back yard (I just graduated college (in Aug.) and I moved back to my parents house

Its wierd you notice the little stuff you depend on electricity for when its out that long... mainly ICE.... we hunted the entire 10 days for ice..... few days we found places that were handing out free bags of ice... other days had to pay like $6 a bag....

The gas situation was nuts... lines were around 2 miles long... taking about 2 hours to get gas.. I never stood in line.. it wasnt worth it
RosenCruz
in Turkey we have power outages even when there is no natural disaster or anything...we have problems with having enough energy and errors...
jsfdan
Ouch, in Englewood, OH. We got power back last Wed. and we still have no internet. Im at a local coffee station. Man I really wanna keep my hosting account safe!!
tony
Whoa! Hurricans are so scary. I am surprised that you can talk of them so lightly your tone. I would not like to be with ike!
ocalhoun
miacps wrote:

Honestly, I kind of like it when a small hurricane knocks the power out for around 3 days. Neighbors quickly turn into family and friends when our electronics are taken out of the picture. It really transforms the neighborhood. People share food, hang out and talk, play cards. Just things that never happen when theres TV or computers around.

That doesn't happen where I live now, because during or after that long outage, everybody bought generators.

For the first few hours after a storm, it will be amazingly quiet, but then, one by one generators are cranked up, and relative quiet won't come back until the power does.

Since they're all self-sufficient now, they don't get together for hurricane parties anymore, which is a shame, because they made great barbecues, because everybody had food to use up in their powerless fridge, and the only cooking appliance that still worked were gas grills.
watersoul
Wow, reading everybody's posts about the hurricane stuff is so interesting. I'm really glad we rarely have the extreme weather here much, maybe a few tree's down in a rare freak storm but thats usually the worst every few years.
The thing I can't understand about my country is that everyone seems to moan and groan about the weather all the time, ok, it's usually gray and miserable (including summer haha) but thank goodness we don't have all the problems I've just read about.
Good luck with the next one everybody.