FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems

scs
I'm having a nervous breakdown!

I can't run smf unless its not set to below 777

Will someone fix it?
Bondings
scs wrote:
I'm having a nervous breakdown!

I can't run smf unless its not set to below 777

Will someone fix it?

Can you please explain your problem a bit more?

Do you mean you have to change the permissions of a file to 777 in order to work or doesn't it work with 777?
scs
777 on php file caused 500 internal server error

http://southchaddertonschool.frihost.net/Community/index.php
Daniel15
Open your FTP client and CHMOD the file to 0755. It should work then.

If you don't use an FTP client, and instead use the cPanel File Manager, then set the permissions so that:
* Owner has read, write, execute (7)
* Group has read and execute (5)
* World has read and execute (5)

That should work.
scs
SMF on most servers must run 777 to be allow package manager to edit
Bondings
scs wrote:
SMF on most servers must run 777 to be allow package manager to edit

We have phpsuexec installed on this server (recently). It is much safer and files don't need to be set to 777 anymore. Your script should work with 755.
budazz
i thought when you use cpanel you will not experience that kind of problem?...the chmod thing is not a problem when you use the cpanel but there is still a problem...being experience Shocked Laughing
Sunny
I have read your post thrice and still trying to figure out the problem you are asking. You need to understand what CHMOD 755 and 777 means.

755 = owner, group will have permission to write.

777 = owner, group, all users will have permission to write.

So chmod a directory to 777 means opening a door for hackers and a good hacker can exploit the hole.

If any script forget SMF, I am saying any script which works fine with 755 shouldn't be chmod to 777.

You should be happy actually that you don't have to chmod smf to 777 and 755 is working fine and you are comparitevly safer.

If you are curious to find it out why it wont work with 777 and works fine with 755, I believe as Bondings said we have PHPsuexec module installed. It doesn't allows to execute the files which have written permission for all users to make vunerable script more secure.

Quote:
i thought when you use cpanel you will not experience that kind of problem?...the chmod thing is not a problem when you use the cpanel but there is still a problem...being experience

makes no sense in context of the problem.