FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linux and virtulisation

darrenfinch
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my laptop (Desktop replacement). Now I don't want to go down the Windows Vista road and as I have been playing with Linux (for work and home) for many years am seriously considering switching over to Linux (Probably Fedora or Suse).

Unfortunately there are still a few Windows apps and things that I cannot live without and so will either need to go with Wine or Crossover.

I also have a passion for games (I will get a laptop with reasonable amount of RAM and Graphics controller).

SO - for those out there that already have Linux running with either Wine or PC Emulation running - what do you think ?
Fire Boar
Wine works for many older things - you can find out exactly how well a particular program works at http://appdb.winehq.org/ but in the case of other things, virtualization or dual-booting is the way to go. It really depends on what you want to do. VirtualBox is a great free application that you can use to boot Windows from within Linux, but if you want full use of your system's resources and cannot use Wine, dual-booting is your best option.

Personally? I have an XP partition and a couple of Linuxes, but I don't use Windows, ever, any more.
ocalhoun
Dual boot would be the way to go.
Things to consider:
*programs running in emulation or a virtualized computer are much slower
*Linux support for wireless networking is sketchy, and can have hard-to-solve issues
*emulation works best for older software, and can be hard to do (though virtual computers are easy in Linux using VMware)

If it weren't a laptop, and you weren't a gamer, it would be great to use linux and emulate anything else you need, but these circumstances might change things.
Agent ME
ocalhoun wrote:
Things to consider:
*programs running in emulation or a virtualized computer are much slower
*Linux support for wireless networking is sketchy, and can have hard-to-solve issues
*emulation works best for older software, and can be hard to do (though virtual computers are easy in Linux using VMware)

-Some wireless cards have nice driver support, and work pretty well - matters what your system is equipped with. You can test how nice the hardware is supported by trying out a live linux disk without needing to install anything.
-Many programs and games work fine under wine. Wine does not do full emulation, but provides a windows-type api for programs to run on linux. Surprisingly many people have reported some games actually running better on linux under wine than on the same system running windows.

I'd recommend Ubuntu if you're looking for tips on picking a distro - you can test it easily from a live disk to see if its what you like and if your hardware will work nicely.
wicke
It depends on distro and the year, if your WLAN device is supported or not. Linux is good but it sometimes may take some time to configure. The easiest way for me was just installing a driver (called ndiswrapper) that can configure itself using INF files of Windows WLAN drivers. I prefer wired network and Ubuntu.