FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Force that the price of petrol rises:

yimaw
Why price of petrol has risen by a large margin recently, why know ? A friend know? Please say. Thank you.
yimaw
It rises to 4.6 RMB at present from original 3.5 RMB for one liter. Too terrible.
wistom
i dont know why ,maybe someone want it to be.
gonzo
Artifically restricting sales.
illini319
It's not clear to me what is causing the rise in prices, globally. My innocuous guess would be the surging consumption of the Chinese. More demand, less supply etc etc. It may also be a combination of that and a bit of artificial supply restriction. Either way... ride your mass transit options people! by hybrid vehicles, if you have to drive.
psycosquirrel
It is similar to the diamond market; there is not a shortage by any means, but the producers intentionally control the amount supplied to maximize profits. Because gas is an item with static demand (consumer will always buy about the same amount, regardless of price), the producers know that an increase in price will simply lead to an increase in profit.

But, in reality, gas really is a good that there is an unrenewable supply of. Since the demand for it is static, a replacement absolutely must be found before we run out, or the world economy as a whole may decline or change radically...
Nameless
Oil price has gone UP lately everywhere because there is less oil available to sell. simple economics.
hkusp45
Surging demand in China and India account for much of the increase, as well as projected strains on the future supply of refined product.

It isn't just about how much crude can be pulled out of the ground; adding crude to the supply doesn't do any good without the ability to rapidly refine it. The idea that this is all just a bunch of artificial manipulation is laughable. Refinery capacity in many areas of the world is fixed, at this point. For example, in the United States there have been no new refineries constructed in the last 20 years. Why? Because the years of regulatory headaches an oil company must endure to build another one just isn't worth it to them. Reasonable environmental regulation is prudent, but in many areas of the U.S., some of the requirements are insane.
boringest
i bet all of you have heard of the terrible hurricanes in the US...and this is one of the reasons why the oil prices is increasing.

The hurricane causes a fear among oil consumers that they might not be enough ppl who can supply enough fuel once the hurricane passes so they are stocking up their supply and hence causing an increase in the oil price.

also, china is one of the largest importer of oil, so china is somewhat responsible for this as well i think!
bogger
hkusp45 wrote:

It isn't just about how much crude can be pulled out of the ground; adding crude to the supply doesn't do any good without the ability to rapidly refine it.

that is the basic reason, and that people will buy it no matter how much it costs, because they can think of no other alternative (ignorance of the population as a whole is a different topic)
hkusp45 wrote:

Reasonable environmental regulation is prudent, but in many areas of the U.S., some of the requirements are insane.

it doesn't matter how much oil you have ,if the air you're breathing is toxic,
[rant] enviornmental laws in america are too loose at the moment, only there would they dig for oil in a nature reserve[/rant]

boringest wrote:
i bet all of you have heard of the terrible hurricanes in the US...and this is one of the reasons why the oil prices is increasing..

also, china is one of the largest importer of oil, so china is somewhat responsible for this as well i think!

the hurricane had little actual effect. the refineries off shore of new orleans will be back in 3 months, some estimates say,

as for your opinion on china, it is a fact that developing countries have a high need for oil at their boom stage to become a modern nation, americe however, has the lowest taxes around for oil, and while you people complain about your $2 prices, in europe, for an equivalent amount it's been 4. and that's only up from 3.50
ankhezar
consumption is raising, oil is running out, demand is high(so petrol companies think"with all this stress? why not earn some more money?") and it wil raise even higher. The only way is to find alternative energy source but will BIG ONES permit it? think not. Also there is possibility that price will fall if supply will raise, but again there are no reasons to think so... oil is running out, it is something that cannot be replenished or produced. MY OPINION: Buy a bicycle
bogger
ankhezar wrote:
consumption is raising, oil is running out, demand is high(so petrol companies think"with all this stress? why not earn some more money?") and it wil raise even higher. The only way is to find alternative energy source but will BIG ONES permit it? think not. Also there is possibility that price will fall if supply will raise, but again there are no reasons to think so... oil is running out, it is something that cannot be replenished or produced. MY OPINION: Buy a bicycle

consumption isn't rising, just so you know, it's just that people are buying more in advance because they fear higher prices,

in the past prices have been exceptionally low, they should be at $40 normally, so they're only making up for it now

ankhezar wrote:
The only way is to find alternative energy source but will BIG ONES permit it? think not.

conspiracy theory, the thing that's stopping renewable energy investment, is that knowing wants to spend the money on it

ankhezar wrote:
MY OPINION: Buy a bicycle

cars are actually the most effecient fuel users, a study has shown (bikes use your energy, which comes from food) the only thing is that people are unaware of cars that can use rapeseed or linseed oil, which while less effective, is renewable and cheaper
swage
I know a professor at a local university that is helping develop easy methods to turn used cooking grease into bio-deisel fuel as an alternative fuel. Check out bio-deisel, it is really interesting. It would be great to see more people starting to use it instead of petroleum fuels.
Plabebob
yes!!! use the bio stuff...it's really the way to go.

i spin fire and have a couple of friends who do fire breathing as well, and a lot of people in the london scene are starting to switch...better for the environment, better smell!
bogger
i heard somewhere that that already exists in hongkong/asia somewhere, considering the amount of waste they have from their woks, but good on himself
Deji
rather than people worrying about gas prices.. which is a short term thing

people should be more worried about a lack of investment in renewable sources / long lasting fuel sources.. we will run out of oil eventually.. and then it wont matter how much it costs cause there wont be any.

Hydrogen powered cars are a good solution but to make them a good option governments need to generate electricity (needed to get hydrogen from water) with renewable sources such as wind power / solar power etc.

in which case you would have the electricity to create hydrogen to power things without the polution.
silvermesh
any deisel engine can run on used cooking oil. no scientific breakthrough required. theres a small company in california "converting" deisel cars into grease cars, and they have their own little grease station.

they drive a bus around the US that runs on whatever they can salvage out of the grease traps at restaraunts they visit. they use deisel to start the engine, then switch to the other tank.
thiamshui
Natural resources are depleting.. Tht's why prices go up.. Soon there will b no more petrol..
ocalhoun
It has gone down for me!
My price for gas today: $2.01
Previous price (after Katrina): $3.27
There was a time that people would balk at paying $.20 per gallon...
jaam23
Hi,

Totally agree with the sustainable view. Everyone is talking about rising oil prices, the devestating effect of out of control fuel consumption, not withstanding the Middle Eastern crisis(es) that are very probably in at least part related to World Oil control.

Gustav Diesel created Diesel engines to run on peanut oil and the Petrochemical industry simply adapted the engines to run on petrochemical diesel.

Most Western countries now have groups dedicated to running cars/van/s etc on vegetable based diesel products. Most governments are simply not encouraging people to use these as its "not in the interest of economy" or mor eprobably not in the interests of the powerful Petrochemical companies and their cronies in government.

There's many links out there just google but some good ones are:

http://www.dieselveg.com/
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html
jaam23
LOL,

Actually while I'm on the subject yeah biking is a viable alternative.
In the UK we have a charitable organisation called Sustrans who as part of the Millenium Project for the year 2000 were created to realise a vision to create or reuse existing unsed railway lines, canal towpaths, old tracks, bridalways, etc etc to create 10,000 miles of interlinking cycles ways criss-crossing the UK. The idea being that there should be good quality viable cyclesways across the UK and also allow any major conurbation to be reached by these cycleways.

Quality!

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/

Lots of small changes make for better future. Each bit helps.
SNES350
silvermesh wrote:
any deisel engine can run on used cooking oil. no scientific breakthrough required. theres a small company in california "converting" deisel cars into grease cars, and they have their own little grease station.

they drive a bus around the US that runs on whatever they can salvage out of the grease traps at restaraunts they visit. they use deisel to start the engine, then switch to the other tank.

Make your own biodiesel! Any diesel car can run on biodiesel just as well (although biodiesel is not as good in winter). I know most of us have cars that don't run on diesel but for those that do this is nice: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_link.html#homebrews