FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Norse Mythology

Drogarush
Hey,

Anyone interested in Norse mythology? Being a Norwegian myself, I'm very intersted in this. When I was young, my father used to tell me bedtime stories which involved battles, Gods and well-known vikings, such as the bowman Einar Tambarskjelve, whom I was named after.
jmi256
The closest I got to studying Norse mythology was reading Thor, the God of Thunder, comics when I was a kid.
alanw0
Can't say I know anything much, though it seems very interesting (any Norse mythology expert posters out there?).

I know that, having read the book 'Lords of Chaos' that the Norwegian Black Metal bands (that I am a fan of) seem to be well into it...
imera
I don't think many people outside Europe would know much about Norse mythology, it's probably because there isn't many movies made about them. I remember when I was young I used to watch a movie about the gods, animation, I never had anyone that told me stories except the Romanian folk tales my grandmother told me. I find Norse mythology fascinating, besides the books I read and the Norwegian class at school I haven't bothered studying it too deep.

Any stories that are good?
WicCaesar
I'm very interested in Mythology, and yes, I've read a lot about Norse mythology. And found it quite interesting.

I once was game master of a RPG campaign about Norse mythology. Smile
roninmedia
I read a few Norse mythology books when I was longer. I only know some of the general myths about Creation, Valhalla, Ragnarok and mostly stories about Loki. Nothing as much as the Greek epics.

In the United States, if you learn about any kind of mythology, it will be Greek and Roman mythology as it seems to go better along with the Greek and Roman civilizations as far as democracy and republic and other ideals that we got from them. Many of the other mythologies are largely ignored or if taught, taught not in depth and usually not available in many places.

And like a previous poster said, there is little Norse mythology in the media, especially American media. If it is, it's more than likely a comic book or some sort of video game. Greek mythology is prominent in the media in television and movies. Even Chinese and Japanese mythology is more likely to be featured and mentioned but a lot of the times, they get it wrong.
yagnyavalkya
Norse gods
1st : ODIN
2nd : LOKI
3rd : MAGNI
4th : THOR
5th : BALDUR
6th : FREYA
7th : RAGNAROK
8th : ASGARD
9th : TYR
10th : VALKYRIES
JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth saga is stuffed with Norse inspiration and takes the whole thing to a whole new dimension
and maybe JKR too
a few good ref sites are as follows
1. http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/norse-mythology.php
www.bergen-guide.com/345.htm
www.celticattic.com/contact_us/norwegian_connection/mythology.htm
and many more
Xaferrow
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Norse gods
1st : ODIN
2nd : LOKI
3rd : MAGNI