FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Chrome

Tony The Tiger
Now, that I have downloaded Google Chrome, I have four browsers on my laptop. I regularly use Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1. I also have Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16711, Safari 3.1.2 and Google Chrome 0.2.149.19. In my brief experience with Chrome it is probably my second favorite already. However, it is very bare bones.
guissmo
I'd use Chrome regularly by the time it supports the StumbleUpon toolbar and the Multiply toolbar (basically the Firefox plugins). It's really faster than Firefox and has these fun animation effects when opening tabs and all.
cyberbuddy
yes chrome is good in terms of using system resources and a trendy in nature.

Good looks and pop up blocker
GavinJaynes
will chrome take over IE... lets hope so. I am long time Firefox user and lover ( how good are addons)
but chrome has the financial backing of Google and with Google's marketing I'm sure more people will get word of it.

Although it is still beta and probably will soon support addons and flash player it's still number two in my preferences.
bigt
GavinJaynes wrote:
will chrome take over IE... lets hope so. I am long time Firefox user and lover ( how good are addons)
but chrome has the financial backing of Google and with Google's marketing I'm sure more people will get word of it.

Although it is still beta and probably will soon support addons and flash player it's still number two in my preferences.

I've been a Firefox user and lover too since about the time it came out. I'm still happy with it. I guess I will probably wait and let them fix a few more bugs before I install Chrome.
Tony The Tiger
It sounds like everyone has great expectations for Google Chrome, but still prefer Firefox.
wicke
Google Chrome works as advertised in different websites but it eats my hardware too much. I will keep my Firefox.
devaco
Is this one good one?
Chinmoy
Ive tried chrome. It is fast and all of a broadband but it just fails to deliver on out college wifi connection. Opera is always the choice for me. I prefer it over mozilla which is more of a memory hog. Moreover, opera has many integrated features, which mozilla needs plugins for..so its opera, and chrome is , well it is good. The style of chrome is different. It looks like future tech..
tamilparks
welcome to google chrome a very good fast browser, really its faster than internet explorer and a very good tabbed browser
leontius
At least Google Chrome will push other browsers up to higher standards and make Microsoft even more angrier Very Happy
driftingfe3s
I like the look and feel of it. It doesn't feel bogged down and the interface is very clean. Still it has a lot of features missing that I'm use to for my everyday browsing. Opera is still my browser of choice!
Tony The Tiger
Does anyone know market shares for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Chrome?
Chris65536
Wikipedia does (probably not 100% accurate, but for a rough idea):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Google Chrome is still, I think, under "Other"
filesharing
if you are using chrome just because it is faster, then firefox - please google for firefox + more speed, you will find some tweaks how you can improve speeds in firefox...
sabao
I don´t know...
but chrome is in final version yet ?
Bengt
wicke wrote:
Google Chrome works as advertised in different websites but it eats my hardware too much. I will keep my Firefox.

I read that it was ultra light ?
leontius
Bengt wrote:
wicke wrote:

I read that it was ultra light ?

Actually because it separates every tab into their own process, it will be a bit heavyweight. As it is still in beta, however, the features will be minimal and so the speed will be adjust accordingly. Being in beta also means that it is still not heavily optimized yet, so who knows how fast v1 can be ^^
RosenCruz
its light and fast ...but not a mozilla..lets admit it...but its beta and i m sure google will improve it a lot ...!
jurl
Tony The Tiger wrote:
It sounds like everyone has great expectations for Google Chrome, but still prefer Firefox.

agreed...
for uknown reasons I cann't compare FF and Google Chrome...but still prefer Firefox
actually:
if you want speed, tiny size and really simple browser - so get Google Chrome..
if you want a "strong" browser, neat and secured - Firefox is your choise..
Tony The Tiger
sabao wrote:
I don´t know...
but chrome is in final version yet ?

Isn't it an open source platform browser? Open source platforms are never in final version are they?
Tony The Tiger
RosenCruz wrote:
its light and fast ...but not a mozilla..lets admit it...but its beta and i m sure google will improve it a lot ...!

What does everyone mean by the term light in relation to web browsers?
snowynight
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Perhaps you are right, but I think chrome is good looking while firefox is practical. But at last ie 7 is the one.

I hope one day the chrome will have the same functions as other browsers do. It is simple, easy, and it is able to auto correct your English input within the browser....
aningbo
safari is an okay browser, ie 7 still sucks to the core, chrome is fine bt still it is jst a bare bone... firefox is still the best.

nothing beats firefox in the market as of now.
tsuvik
I also use 3 browsers, FF 3.0.3 , Safari 3.1.2, Chrome and IE 7. In my opinion FF3 tops the chart. Then Safari and following it is chrome and last but definitely the least IE 7. Chrome needs to be out of beta yet. Many bugs are being detected.
Tony The Tiger
Why are so few people mentioning Safari when comparing the browers.
KKatiL
I don't Like It Opera Is the Best
cyberbuddy
its new and as a fresher its performance is best ,yes bugs and drawbacks will be there and its sure that Google will rectify it in a professional way and launch its original version ,i think that will better than any Mozilla , and i say that it should be so because then only some new thing we users can expect from Mozilla in there next version
snowboardalliance
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Why are so few people mentioning Safari when comparing the browers.

Yeah, I would expect more Opera to come up...
I use Firefox, but I'm considering trying Chrome.
HamsterMan
I installed chrome on my eee901 after it turned out that the system performance in xp was horribly slow (thanks to the ssd write speed), and so far it have worked better than ff. altough I still prefer the ff interface.
SHARPBALL
Yes Gold a great asset for the browser market.
Also like the layout of it. I used to work with safari firefox.

Now i stop working with safari becouse scroling on a page is so slow i mean the scroll wheel react not as fast like in another browser.

Again chrome rocks
misterXY
filesharing wrote:
if you are using chrome just because it is faster, then firefox - please google for firefox + more speed, you will find some tweaks how you can improve speeds in firefox...

Agreed!
Bump x 1 000 000 000 !!!
It really is alot better tweaking it, disable some things you don't need as well changing those for what you need?
amperx
wow, i guess i better do some tests whether it really is light Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
What kind of time frame are people expecting for google to cleanup chrome so that it is fairly bug-free?
dude_xyx
Well we simply has to wait I guess. They are famous for keeping things under beta status. Take Gmail for an example. But I use chrome to watch videos and stuff because its faster. Pity it doesnt have a youTube Downloader plugin.
bernardnapoleon
I have a brief experience with Google Chrome and I didn't liked the beta version. I have it when i cant scroll while the page is still loading. So I think, I will stick with Firefox for the mean time.
Tony The Tiger
One thing I like about chrome is when I search using Ctrl-f it centers the result on the page instead of making it the top or bottom line like Firefox and Internet Explorer do. I think the beta of Gmail was pretty trouble free as i recall. Does this mean Chrome should be trouble free quickly.
LimpFish
I read somewhere that Google saves everything you do, all URLs you visit and stuff, for advertising purposes.... is this true? Chrome seems really cool, but if thats true, count me out!
Tony The Tiger
I have noticed some more things about the search function in Chrome. I like the fact that on the sidebar it gives hash marks for each occurrence of a search result.
Tony The Tiger
I have also noticed a problem with searching in the wikipedia edit mode in Google Chrome and Safari. It is really annoying to not be able to search in the edit mode after getting use to Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer which allow it.
deadswan
I'm not a big fan of Chrome... I prefer FF and even IE... But that's just me... I just tend to stick to IE...
Tony The Tiger
deadswan wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Chrome... I prefer FF and even IE... But that's just me... I just tend to stick to IE...

Why would you stick to IE?
deadswan
Tony The Tiger wrote:
deadswan wrote:

Why would you stick to IE?

I really don't know lol
I just never have problems with it... I used FF3 for a while, but I stopped using it on my work laptop because it wouldn't access certain sites that I needed....
Kelcey
Chrome is a lot faster than the other browsers for me. But I need my FF extensions and Chrome has some bugs that annoy the crap out of me.
deadswan
Yeah a bug i found was something to do with <br />... or I think </br> didn't work... I dunno it was late lol
chi0
I love Chrome! The speed and the prettiness get me every time.
I'm just waiting for them to support Flash, and the amount of plug-ins that Firefox does, and I'll probably switch over from Firefox.
Tony The Tiger
My Firefox was corrupted by 12000 bad sectors on my secondary hard drive for two weeks. I just swapped out the hard disk last night. However, for two weeks I have been using mostly Chrome and some Safari. In Chrome I was able to import all the bookmarks but I could not get a bookmark toolbar across the top with all my quicklink buttons. I could not figure out how to duplicate to a new tab instead of a window. I could not search in wikipedia edit mode. I was hurting for many reasons. I did prefer its mid-page location of Ctrl-f searches instead of top or bottom-page locations like that used in Firefox. I also think they had a few other preferable search wrinkles in Chrome and Safari.
LimpFish
what puzzles me is that Chrome most of the time is super-fast, but sometimes it just freezes for like 20 seconds, and that's all of the tabs. aren't the tabs supposed to be sandboxed, one freezing not affecting the others?

when i imported stuff from my firefox i automatically got my quicklink-toolbar on top copied from Firefox aswell.
Tony The Tiger
[quote="Chris65536"]Wikipedia does (probably not 100% accurate, but for a rough idea):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Google Chrome is still, I think, under "Other"[/quote

The chart shows Chrome at 0.74%. I imagine this percentage has yet to stabilize since the browser is so new and in trial status for many users who are experimenting with it in comparison to other browsers.
side
i didn't like this browser.
i think firefox is better than it.
Diablosblizz
Jeez, Chrome is a speedy fella. I tried it when it first come out, it was just like Firefox faster than IE which was great.

I just redownloaded it, and holy! It's like 1 second to load a page, while Firefox is at least 2. Although, I still love my Firefox. Smile

Looking at my chart surprised me, I really can't believe that IE is still dominating, it's just a horrible browser. Although, I suppose for average computer users it's not a big deal. But, for web developers it's just horrible, heck it can't even support disabling a button and continuing to the next page.

I hope IE8 is better than IE7.
Tony The Tiger
Is loading speed the most important browser feature?
frenz
i agree google chrome is fast but the problem is you cant use toolbar like roboform, roboform to easily login without typing your password, google chrome save password can use by others, in roboform only you can use the password Sad
sanalskumar
I am not using google chrome as i am a big fan of firefox. If chrome can come up with features like firefox like addon support, definitely i will change my mind. Because its very simple and very faster.
htmltesten
Google Chrome is a really good browser
LimpFish
I really like it a lot too... I would prefer to be able to change the color of it though, they should make it more customizable Smile
Tony The Tiger
Google chrome is able to process my pokerstars tournament summaries much faster than firefox. When I have them emailed to me and attempt to open some of the results summaries it takes several minutes for them to open in firefox. When I open the same emails in Chrome it is just a matter of seconds.
babarus
i think that google Chrome runs faster then all others browsers.
anakin_skyrunner
Have you heard of Google Chrome Frame? That's a nice invention!
Basically it's Chrome inside Internet Explorer. The Javascript and Rendering Enginge inside IE.
Have a look at this screenshot I just made:

http://twitpic.com/j449h/

It's not fake!
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5580
http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/

They say that you will need this plugin for Google Wave.
LimpFish
why would you want to run chrome inside IE instead of running chrome "normally"?
anakin_skyrunner
LimpFish wrote:
why would you want to run chrome inside IE instead of running chrome "normally"?

Ask the 60% of internet users, who are using IE... And some people don't want to change their browser, because they like the interface or so... some companies are forced to use Internet Explorer. With the plugin websites can tell the browser via a meta tag to use the plugin instead of the standard IE rendering engine. Only then it is used and you don't encounter any issues at other pages.
Tony The Tiger
It sounds like the IE Tab extension for firefox that allows you to hit a button to convert any Firefox Tab into an Internet Explorer tab. I have that extension installed on both my laptops, and I use the feature whenever a certain page can only be accessed by internet explorer.
LimpFish
Ok now I get the point... not that I would use it myself, I like chrome's interface way better than IE... But a plugin for chrome like the one Tiger mentions would be really sweet for chrome..
anakin_skyrunner
LimpFish wrote:
Ok now I get the point... not that I would use it myself, I like chrome's interface way better than IE... But a plugin for chrome like the one Tiger mentions would be really sweet for chrome..

Nay, it's not a plugin for Chrome, it's a plugin for IE6-8...
They invented this so Internet Explorer users are able to use Google Wave because it needs HTML5 support Wink
LimpFish
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

They invented this so Internet Explorer users are able to use Google Wave because it needs HTML5 support Wink

Does this mean that you are one of the testers for Google Wave? Smile
anakin_skyrunner
LimpFish wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

I'd wish I was, but I'm not... sorry to disappoint Wink
anakin_skyrunner
LimpFish wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

I'd wish I was, but I'm not... sorry to disappoint Wink
Tony The Tiger
What is the difference between Google Chrome and Google Wave?
anakin_skyrunner
Tony The Tiger wrote:
What is the difference between Google Chrome and Google Wave?

Google Chrome is a web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) developed by Google, though it is based on WebKit, the same engine Safari uses.
Google Wave is some sort of messaging tool (like Live Messenger, AOL) just more powerful and, err, better^^ - it is developed by the same guys who made Google Maps btw.
Google Chrome Frame is a plugin that will be needed for running Google Wave when it is used with Internet Explorer 6-8, as these browsers don't support HTML 5.
LimpFish
Google Wave is supposed to be "email if it was invented today" I read somewhere.. also heard things like "the new facebook", etc etc... enough for me to want an invite! Very Happy
weableandbob
I prefer firefox, but for some reason, firefox refuses to load some pages that it loaded fine before, such as facebook and gmail, so I use chrome for those. It's a nice browser, but there aren't as many add ons, which is one of the reasons firefox became so popular in the first place.
traxion
[quote="HamsterMan"]I installed chrome on my eee901 after it turned out that the system performance in xp was horribly slow (thanks to the ssd write speed), and so far it have worked better than ff. altough I still prefer the ff interface.

chrome is a nice peace of software as browser, but the support and user-content ( plugin) for FF is way more better
Jean-Clod
I also run chrome (the latest dev-channel build, 4.X.something) on my eee900, I upgraded 2Gb RAM, and I moved the chrome cache directory to a ramdisk: chrome is just lightning fast with that trick

meanwhile, back to topic, Chrome is great, in my life, I used first Firefox, until 3.0, then Safari, very shortly, then Opera, until 10.0, and lastly Chrome, which is the best one, with Opera.
Firefox is bad. (ok, ok, I didn't say anything Twisted Evil )
LimpFish
yea I also think Chrome needs more addons... but I do like that they now have themes for Chrome! I run the greyscale theme on my browser and I really like it!
myflos
I like Opera!
Tony The Tiger
anakin_skyrunner wrote:

Google Chrome is a web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) developed by Google, though it is based on WebKit, the same engine Safari uses.
Google Wave is some sort of messaging tool (like Live Messenger, AOL) just more powerful and, err, better^^ - it is developed by the same guys who made Google Maps btw.
Google Chrome Frame is a plugin that will be needed for running Google Wave when it is used with Internet Explorer 6-8, as these browsers don't support HTML 5.

Does Google wave allow webcam conferencing? I am not sure I understand what Google Chrome Frame is? Does Google Wave operate inside a browser? If so, it is very different than Live Messenger. Is running it inside a browser an optional method?
anakin_skyrunner
Tony The Tiger wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:

Does Google wave allow webcam conferencing? I am not sure I understand what Google Chrome Frame is? Does Google Wave operate inside a browser? If so, it is very different than Live Messenger. Is running it inside a browser an optional method?

Well I guess a few more details on these things won't be bad, I just wanted to quickly sum it up, so here are the details:

Google Wave is, at least the developers call it so, e-mail as it would like if it was invented today. You can do nearly everything with it concerning communication. It doesn't matter whether you're just chatting with someone, like WLM, writing E-Mails, like Outlook or GMail, sharing files (documents, pictures, music), you can use it rly for everything - even managers or such can use it as it simplifies online cooperation. It's not like that "ooh, Messenger, only youngsters use it" - it's a serious application everybody can use for everything.
The best thing is, that you can run it on the go, with every browser (though I guess Opera is left out Rolling Eyes ) and that it is open source, so if you miss an application you can just go and create it.
But there are already many many apps available. You can create polls very easily, translate sentences while they're written (yeah, that rly rocks!), twitter from within a wave etc...

The only catch comes with compatibility: As Google Wave isn't a Flash application or such, it uses many HTML5 commands (drag and drop and such) - commands Internet Explorer doesn't know (yet). As the developers of Wave aren't stupid and waste hours and hours on trying to make Wave compatible with IE6-8, they just created Google Chrome Frame.
Chrome Frame is a plugin which does one thing: make IE use Chrome's rendering and Javascript engine. I posted a screenshot somewhere showing IE8 passing Acid3, see:

http://twitpic.com/j449h

Pretty cool!
If you don't have the plugin installed, this shows up:

Btw, I'm not a beta-tester of Google Wave (though I wouldn't mind being one^^) - I just watched Google's Developer Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ
And this is a pretty nice video too (and not so long Wink ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDu2A3WzQpo
Tony The Tiger
[quote="anakin_skyrunner"]Google Wave is, at least the developers call it
so, e-mail as it would like if it was invented today.[/quote

Why aren't all gmail users told to upgrade to this?
anakin_skyrunner
[quote="Tony The Tiger"]
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Google Wave is, at least the developers call it
so, e-mail as it would like if it was invented today.[/quote

Why aren't all gmail users told to upgrade to this?

Because Wave is still in development and currently in closed beta.

If I'm not mistaken they're planning a release sometime next spring/summer. Long time to go, but once it's here, it'll be great.

Sorry btw if this is absolutely off-topic ^^
HalfBloodPrince
Will Gmail still be a separate mail service or will it integrate into Wave?
anakin_skyrunner
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I think that it will stay separate. I guess it's like with mobile phones with touch displays. Even though (imo) touch is better than a normal keyboard, there will always be standard mobiles and mobiles with touch displays.
Tony The Tiger
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I think that it will stay separate. I guess it's like with mobile phones with touch displays. Even though (imo) touch is better than a normal keyboard, there will always be standard mobiles and mobiles with touch displays.

Will gmail continue to be supported or will it become like an old software program that a year or two after the new software comes out begins to lack support. I have gone through this with old versions of Inutit's Quicken and old versions of Norton Ghost.
LimpFish
Tony The Tiger wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

Will gmail continue to be supported or will it become like an old software program that a year or two after the new software comes out begins to lack support. I have gone through this with old versions of Inutit's Quicken and old versions of Norton Ghost.

I haven't gotten the impression that Wave will replace GMail or anything else... so I dont think theres any need to be afraid of that Smile At least not in a looong time. Google makes a ton of money from GMail I'm guessing so... they'll keep it Smile
dickyzin
I think Gmail will stay separate to Wave. Wave is too heavy and complicated to use just for sending and receiving email. Gmail will stay in my opinion and Wave will just use it.
anakin_skyrunner
dickyzin wrote:
I think Gmail will stay separate to Wave. Wave is too heavy and complicated to use just for sending and receiving email. Gmail will stay in my opinion and Wave will just use it.

Well if you look at all the gmail features Wave doesn't seem so heavy and complicated in my eyes^^ Anyways you are certainly right, and as Wave needs Chrome Frame in Internet Explorer I don't think it will spread very quickly or, for that matter, replace a standard email client like Gmail.
welshsteve
I have Google Chrome installed but I don't use it as my main browser. It's there for me to test web pages on. I do try it occasionally for normal browsing and find it very simple to use. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
jigoku05
Google Chrome is my default browser even though I have firefox and IE 8 installed. I know firefox is faster but I dunno why I feel more comfortable using chrome. And the anime custom skins is definitely a plus for me.
Tony The Tiger
babarus wrote:
i think that google Chrome runs faster then all others browsers.

I am quite sure it is faster than many on most tasks, but I am also fairly sure that depending upon the task other browsers are faster at some things. Do you really believe that it is faster than all other browsers at all operations? Keep in mind how many browsers are out there (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Web_browsers ). I only have four on my laptop (Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari). It is quite competitive with those other three. I am not sure what percent of the browser market these four account for.
LimpFish
I would say that Chrome is faster than Firefox from my own eprsonal experience
Jean-Clod
True, Chrome faster than Firefox, especially the third iteration. (even if the betas of Chrome 4 seem a bit behind in terms of speed and performance)
A whole article about it here :http://lifehacker.com/5286869/lifehacker-speed-tests-safari-4-chrome-2-and-more.
Tony The Tiger
Jean-Clod wrote:
True, Chrome faster than Firefox, especially the third iteration. (even if the betas of Chrome 4 seem a bit behind in terms of speed and performance)
A whole article about it here :http://lifehacker.com/5286869/lifehacker-speed-tests-safari-4-chrome-2-and-more.

Does it make sense to compare times in a Windows XP environment. Most people who care about having the fastest software are probably using either Windows seven or Windows Vista aren't they? Also, I would imagine that most of the newest software has been optimized for either of the two latest versions of Windows operating system. Isn't that how it works with developers?
LostOverThere
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Also, I would imagine that most of the newest software has been optimized for either of the two latest versions of Windows operating system. Isn't that how it works with developers?

Not necessarily, I'd imagine developers would still "optimise" their software for Windows XP above everything else, as it has the largest user base out of any operating system world wide. Hitlinks estimates around 70% of the world still use Windows XP, compared to 18% Vista and 2% on Windows 7.
LimpFish
Might be that they optimize for Windows XP right now, but I would think that they will gradually move over to Windows 7, as it is actually really good, so a of people will probably buy it.
Jean-Clod
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Does it make sense to compare times in a Windows XP environment. Most people who care about having the fastest software are probably using either Windows seven or Windows Vista aren't they

Like LostOverThere said, the people who actually care about performance prefer XP over Vista, and even 7. And all the other people who don't care.. simply don't care about upgrading the OS (if they did not buy new hardware) Razz
Maybe developers do optimize their software for 7 (Not Vista, I assume), but for the moment the true reference still is XP.
Tony The Tiger
LostOverThere wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Also, I would imagine that most of the newest software has been optimized for either of the two latest versions of Windows operating system. Isn't that how it works with developers?

Not necessarily, I'd imagine developers would still "optimise" their software for Windows XP above everything else, as it has the largest user base out of any operating system world wide. Hitlinks estimates around 70% of the world still use Windows XP, compared to 18% Vista and 2% on Windows 7.

I bet if you were to look at numbers for the X-mas holiday season sales, the majority of newly-purchased systems will be equipped with Windows 7. Thus, the numbers will be changing drastically and eventually, Windows 7 will be the majority of users. I expect that this eventuality will not be too far in the distant future and probably will occur by the end of 2010, IMO.
dickyzin
What's the new extensions on Google Chrome browser? When I clicked on it, it says coming soon.
anakin_skyrunner
dickyzin wrote:
What's the new extensions on Google Chrome browser? When I clicked on it, it says coming soon.

Do you mean the bookmark-sync or the other thing?

BTW, it's been posted some months ago now but I came across it again a few days ago. Google developed "Courgette", which minimizes update sizes of Chrome:
http://blog.chromium.org/2009/07/smaller-is-faster-and-safer-too.html

Pretty cool, huh?

I'm wondering, why Microsoft doesn't have ideas like that, resp. other Software producers. Thinking of 100MB+ Adobe patches Rolling Eyes
crimson_aria
my sister is using this in her laptop and she says she likes it. i've tried it only twice for a short time, haven't tried it fully yet.
dickyzin
Is there a Google Chrome for Linux distributions?
Jean-Clod
There is, actually I'm using it as default browser in JoliCloud. And the forthcoming ChromeOS is entirely based on Chrome Razz

Just browse to google.com/chrome in your default browser, and then follow all the necessary steps! It's fast and simple!
dickyzin
Google just released a Beta version of the Google Chrome for the Linux operating system.
Tony The Tiger
Last week, while my primary computer (2007 Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV9000 with Windows Vista Home Premium) was being serviced, I was using my backup computer (2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 with Windows XP of some type or another). I forgot to install Google Chrome and test it out in that environment. I will have to experiment next time I am on my backup computer.
Tuvitor
I like Google Chrome a lot. I still find myself using Firefox the most, but Google Chrome gets about maybe 1/3rd of my web time. More than can be said for MSIE. Wink

I guess I stick with Firefox because it's reasonably fast in its current version and it's what I'm used to. Every now and then the Mozilla foundation release a crappy version of FF that lags/memleaks/etc, and that's when I fall back on Chrome full-time.
nam_siddharth
Google chrome is a nice browser. But there is one thing in this browser which stops me from using it. There is no page setup and no print preview.
LimpFish
I like that I never even notice when Chrome updates itself, dunno how that works, but I like it Very Happy
Flarkis
I am personally a power user, and hense i find the lack of features in chrome to be restrictive. That being said since they opened the new extensions site i hope there will be a lot more innovation around.
LimpFish
Flarkis wrote:
I am personally a power user, and hense i find the lack of features in chrome to be restrictive. That being said since they opened the new extensions site i hope there will be a lot more innovation around.

have they opened a new extensions site? Where? And are there any cool extentions that you know of so far? Smile
LostOverThere
Quote:
I am personally a power user, and hense i find the lack of features in chrome to be restrictive.

Interesting! Personally I find the minimalistic feel of Chrome to be quite enticing. Too many "complex" browsers can't co-exist. It's definitely nice to see something different these days, especially on the web browser scene.
Jean-Clod
Flarkis wrote:

Even though I prefer Chrome over Firefox, I must admit I agree that it's kinda too minimalistic
And that's exactly why I'm eager awaiting for other extensions

Well, for the moment there are some really good ones - maybe not as good as FF, but still Razz - so it seems it's on the right path
LimpFish
design-wise I love that chrome is minimalistic. firefox takes up too much space with all it's bars and stuff at the top... extension-wise however, I'd like chrome's selection to not be so minimalistic Smile
Tony The Tiger
HamsterMan wrote:
I installed chrome on my eee901 after it turned out that the system performance in xp was horribly slow (thanks to the ssd write speed), and so far it have worked better than ff. altough I still prefer the ff interface.

Am I suppose to know what an eee901 is? If so, I do not. Please explain.
Jean-Clod
(eeePC 901: one of the first netbooks, made by Asus. It has 12 (or 16, maybe 20, don't remember) Gb of SSD storage, a 9" screen, and an Atom (Intel) CPU. Performance is a critical point on this PC. Basically, it's very slow, but it works!)