FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internal Server Error

Coen
Hello all,

I have an account on server one on which I run a SMF Forum. However, I keep encountering a 500 Internal Server Error:
Quote:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@onsvuurwerk.frihost.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at onsvuurwerk.frihost.net Port 80

I have no clue what could have triggered it except that I updated the SMF software to version 1.6. Is anyone else experiencing this problem too?

I hope somebody can help me. Thanks in advance.
mathiaus
Have you got a .htaccess file? Try renaming it and then see if it works. Paste its contents.
Coen
Try renaming it into?
rvec
anything but .htaccess
Coen
I changed the name but it isn't doing any good. In fact, I cannot reach my site at all now so I changed the name of the file back to it's old name and I can reach my site again now. Still, the problem remains.
Any other suggestions on how to solve the problem?
rvec
what error did you get when you renamed the .htaccess? If you got a 404 you're just using the wrong url (mod_rewrite might change the url)
Coen
I didn't get any errors at all, the page just wouldn't load.
loyal
Best thing to do, when you get a 500 error, with a forum, is to just reinstall all your files.
For SMF, rename your forum directory to something like /forumold

Download the installation archive from the SMF website and unzip it, and upload it to your website.
Then go to the settings.php, edit it and put in the correct details, in other words fill in your mysql username password, and database name, and put localhost. Also put in your administrator credentials. Try out the forum. It should be working. Move the non-default themes to the new themes folder, and replace the packages folder with the old packages folder. Set your forum to your favourite theme, and see if it's still working. If you get the 500 error, it's probably a theme.

I see no reason why your forums wouldn't work after replacing all your files, excluding the packages and non-default themes. Remember to give the new folder containing your new forum files, the same name the forum directory usually has.

Hope it works out. Peace.