FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Want to buy a new mouse

fromegame
Hi,

I'm going to buy a new mouse, as my current one is almost dead (just a standard logitech thingy..). Rolling Eyes

It needs to be a mouse suitable for gaming AND for desktop applications like photoshop, and internet, email etc.

I was thinking about these mouses:

Razor Copperhead
+ Nice design
+ 2000dpi
+ 32kb onboard memory (to 'remind' your profiles when you change from pc)
+ Possibility to change DPI on-the-fly
+ Price (50 euros/70 dollars)
- The 2 buttons on the right seem to be hardly clickable
- I read somewhere that this mouse isn't suitable for desktop applications (no idea if this is true or not, someone experience with this?)

Razor Lachesis
+ Nice design
+ 4000dpi
+ Nine buttons (2 extra buttons just below the scrolling wheel, handy for changing DPI)
- Price (70 euros)
- Not for low-sense gamers (I have no idea what I am, since I've only ever played games with 1 mouse, and it's a cheap budget one..)

Logitech G5 (v2)
+ 2000dpi
+ All buttons are clickable, even the right ones, as the mouse is for right-handed persons only (no problem for me)
+ weights
+ price (40 euros)

Logitech G9
+ 3200dpi
+ weights
- Price (50 euros)

Logitech MX518
+ Price (30 euros)
- design

So, my questions are:

1. How's the desktop performance of these mice?
2. How's the gaming performance of these mice?
3. Which mouse do you think is best?
4. Did I forget some pros and cons?
5. If you have an other mouse and are very happy with it, let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Diablosblizz
I just use a old regular mouse for my gaming. Nothing too it, I don't really need extra buttons except for the scroll wheel button which I use for Vent. I use the Logitech EX110 keyboard and mouse combo. It's really cheap, but it's WELL worth it. It's wireless, which I've wanted for the longest time. Reduces cables, and I really like that.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1543169&Sku=L23-7050

I, myself, would never spend so much on a mouse, even if it was for gaming. Cheap stuff works just as well.
fromegame
Diablosblizz wrote:
I just use a old regular mouse for my gaming. Nothing too it, I don't really need extra buttons except for the scroll wheel button which I use for Vent. I use the Logitech EX110 keyboard and mouse combo. It's really cheap, but it's WELL worth it. It's wireless, which I've wanted for the longest time. Reduces cables, and I really like that.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1543169&Sku=L23-7050

I, myself, would never spend so much on a mouse, even if it was for gaming. Cheap stuff works just as well.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm not sure if I like wireless.
- You have to change batteries. (or accu?)
- Cables don't really bother me, I don't have trouble with them.

About your statement about expensive mice, I don't know exactly if it's worth it, that's why I asked for opinions here. Maybe I'll have to go to a shop some time, to just feel the mouse.

Anyone else got some experience?
Diablosblizz
Yes, you need to change the batteries for a wireless mouse, but for me that's about one per two months, so that's nothing big for me. Go to the store, and see if you can get a demo, I'm not sure if there will be any on display, but you never know.
psycosquirrel
I have the G5 and love it. It makes a huge difference in FPS gaming from a cheap mouse. Pair it with a nice mousepad and you will be sniping like never before.

I don't like cheap mice or wireless mice. Wireless just feels too heavy to react quickly.

Don't worry too much about extra buttons, you'll never use them.
Vaemz
I use a Razer Copperhead and a Corepad mousepad and I must say the performance is stunning! Probably the best gaming mouse out there looking at both price, quality and performance.
fromegame
Thanks all.

My choice now would be a G5, I've looked at the mouse the other morning, and now I did like the design, maybe I just had a wrong first impression of it. However, it seems the polling rate of the G5 is 'only' 500hz, and the razer ones have 1000hz. I guess this is just some marketing trick, and you don't really notice a difference?
william
This is from my own personal experience. Comparing a gaming mouse to a normal one, the gaming one will always come out on top. Now, when it comes to comparing gaming mice with each other, then performance is so similar that it all comes down to which one you're more comfortable with.

500 hz polling rate is HUGE. I think the average mouse gets about 125 hz, which is an 8ms delay. You will not notice the difference between 500 (2ms) and 1000 (1ms), like the way you notice the difference between 125 and 500.

Both the G5 and the Lachesis are great mice. The best thing you should do is head over to some store and see how both mice feel in your hand. Like for me, I prefer Razer mice over Logitech, simply because they feel better in my hand.

So, to sum it up, performance difference is hardly noticeable. Like for example, the dpi. Often you'll find yourself reducing the dpi for certain games. You have to base your purchase on what your price range is, and how the mice feel in your hand. For me, Razer mice feel better than Logitech, but a friend of mine preferance is the exact opposite.

Good luck!
fromegame
william wrote:
This is from my own personal experience. Comparing a gaming mouse to a normal one, the gaming one will always come out on top. Now, when it comes to comparing gaming mice with each other, then performance is so similar that it all comes down to which one you're more comfortable with.

500 hz polling rate is HUGE. I think the average mouse gets about 125 hz, which is an 8ms delay. You will not notice the difference between 500 (2ms) and 1000 (1ms), like the way you notice the difference between 125 and 500.

Both the G5 and the Lachesis are great mice. The best thing you should do is head over to some store and see how both mice feel in your hand. Like for me, I prefer Razer mice over Logitech, simply because they feel better in my hand.

So, to sum it up, performance difference is hardly noticeable. Like for example, the dpi. Often you'll find yourself reducing the dpi for certain games. You have to base your purchase on what your price range is, and how the mice feel in your hand. For me, Razer mice feel better than Logitech, but a friend of mine preferance is the exact opposite.

Good luck!

Bwuh, you make me doubt again. xD

My current favorites (actually other peoples favorites Razz) are:

- Logitech G5
- Logitech MX518 (this mouse is supposed to be better than the G5, because of the optical sensor, and it is cheaper, but it looks like they make the mouse, take it, bash it against the wall, put it in the box, and sell it.....)
- Razer Lachesis
- Razer DeathAdder

Prices:

- Logitech G5: 40 euros + 0 shipping = 40 euros
- Logitech MX518: 30 euros + 10 shipping = 40 euros
- Razer Lachesis: 60 euros + 10 shipping = 70 euros
- Razer DeathAdder: 50 euros + 10 shipping = 60 euros

The Lachesis is much too expensive, so that's one choice less.
The G5 and the MX518 are both 40 euros, I like the G5 design more than the MX518. So I think I'm going for the G5.
I've also heard some good things about the DeathAdder, but it's also a little expensive...

I'm going to a shop in a few days (when I have time..) and I'm going to try the G5. I guess you can just ask the shopping guy (how do you call a person selling stuff? a salesman?) to try the mouse. Will he let you try it on a pc, or just 'offline'?

Oh yeah, one last question (hope you're not annoyed by me Razz). I've read the scrolling wheel of the G5 is very hard to press, you press the left-tilt click instead of the scrollwheel click. Is this true?
psycosquirrel
Not sure about your last question.

I changed to an MX518 since my last post and it was much better than the G5.

Like a lot better. Laughing
ForceRun
The scroll wheel button works fine. The G5 is very nice, I had mine for the last 2 years great for long gaming hours. I just got the Microsoft Sidewinder, and I really like it. I will never go back to a normal optical mouse after using a laser one. I have used the Razer before on my friends rigs and we all hate them. Just are to flat and hard on the hands. If you really want a nice mouse get the G9, the scroll is totally unreal, it is a sweet mouse.
fromegame
ForceRun wrote:
The scroll wheel button works fine. The G5 is very nice, I had mine for the last 2 years great for long gaming hours. I just got the Microsoft Sidewinder, and I really like it. I will never go back to a normal optical mouse after using a laser one. I have used the Razer before on my friends rigs and we all hate them. Just are to flat and hard on the hands. If you really want a nice mouse get the G9, the scroll is totally unreal, it is a sweet mouse.

G9 is a bit too expensive.. I think I'm currently doubting between the G5 and MX518. MX518 is cheaper, people say it's better, but I think it's ugly, very ugly. There are no MX518's without the ugly design right Razz?
fromegame
Seems I can get the G9 for 50 euros. And the G5 for 40.

So I think it's now between the G9 and G5. Can someone compare these for me?
Craeft
I bought the G9 when it came out. I was debating with myself between the Razer and the G9. I went with the G9. I am more than happy with it. I am both a gamer and a graphics designer, and I have to say the "resolution on the fly" thing is friggin incredible. I have it set to high res while gaming, and then really low for design so that I can get into detail. Also, the ability to alter the overall weight of the mouse is actually more useful than it sounds. My wrist doesn't start to hurt from long periods with the mouse anymore. Not to mention the aesthetics of it. Aesthetically, it's sleek and you can change the LED colors. More to that, you can actually set up different profiles so let's say, for instance, you use the mouse... then someone else does. You can set up the profiles so that it's unique to each person who uses it. And if desired, can change the LEDs so that it indicates whose profile it is currently set to.
This mouse comes with an incredible amount of features as well. You can set up various button combinations and macros. To me, this thing is a gamer/designer's dream.

EDIT: If you're a gamer, you're going to want the G9 over the MX518. The MX doesn't have the resolution capabilities of the G9. Check newegg.com and ebay. I got my G9 from Newegg when they first came out. While they were 100 bucks everywhere else, I paid 60.
Craeft
Quote:
Don't worry too much about extra buttons, you'll never use them.

I play a healer. I use them all and often in combinations with ALT, CTRL, etc as well. I have all my heals set up to a click of the mouse and holy jesus, is it useful.
fromegame
Thanks for you comment Craeft..

I have ordered the G9, thanks to everyone for their comments!

This can be locked now.. if a mod ever looks at this Razz
Craeft
fromegame wrote:
Thanks for you comment Craeft..

I have ordered the G9, thanks to everyone for their comments!

This can be locked now.. if a mod ever looks at this Razz

Let me know how you like it. Smile
fromegame
Yesterday I got my new mouse, woo!!

I really like it, the difference is enormous! It's much more smooth, the mouse itself, and the mouse-pointer. It also is much more accurate, I really noticed the difference is various shooters. I haven't really used the weight system, the normal weight is good enough for me. I like the different grips, although I like the smaller one much more (haven't got that big hands). The installation was very easy by the way, I downloaded the newest drivers from the Logitech website, and they installed in one go, rebooted, and I was ready to go!

Again, thanks everyone for the information and reviews!
Craeft
fromegame wrote:

I really like it, the difference is enormous! It's much more smooth, the mouse itself, and the mouse-pointer. It also is much more accurate, I really noticed the difference is various shooters. I haven't really used the weight system, the normal weight is good enough for me. I like the different grips, although I like the smaller one much more (haven't got that big hands). The installation was very easy by the way, I downloaded the newest drivers from the Logitech website, and they installed in one go, rebooted, and I was ready to go!

Excellent. Grats on the mouse. Smile Yeah. I use the smaller grip as well. That big one is for someone like André the Giant.

Glad you like the mouse, though. Another great thing about it is that Logitech is so good at backing their product. I live by Logitech now because of the support I've gotten in the past, and the quality of product is phenomenal.

Now ... um... go pwn noobs or something. Razz
fromegame
Craeft wrote:
fromegame wrote:

Excellent. Grats on the mouse. Smile Yeah. I use the smaller grip as well. That big one is for someone like André the Giant.

Glad you like the mouse, though. Another great thing about it is that Logitech is so good at backing their product. I live by Logitech now because of the support I've gotten in the past, and the quality of product is phenomenal.

Now ... um... go pwn noobs or something. Razz

Haha, I'll try Razz
Craeft
I actually gave in and reactived my WoW account. *sigh* Such an addict. Ah well... I had a good 7 month no WoW run. But being a gamer, I tried others and got bored. But anyway... that's sort of off-topic. To make it on topic, come to WoW and try out your new mouse in a healer's guild. Smile
chatrack
Hi, I have Logitech mouse.
I am thinking of buying an optical mouse. here there are plenty of low cost optical mouse with Rs.200
[ about $5 USD ]. But they are not good for long time use.

I am also seraching for a good usb mouse
Donutey
Logitech makes good mice, just stay away from Microsoft branded mice, they used to be high quality, but they've gotten so they're really overpriced for what they do. My
froginabox
I've got the Logitech VX Revolution for my laptop when I'm mobile and the MX sitting on my desk. Both are very precise, and have LOTS of customizations. I highly recommend any of the new Logitech mouse or keyboard products.
Kaseas
Word of advice: go for the wired.

My Logitech Laser MX1000 battery crapped out on me twice.

I'd take the G5 in your situation. You'll find it more than suits your needs.
guru09
I have the logitech mx 518. its very good and I had it for years and it feels as if I just got it new.
miniman17
Razor Copperhead
+ Nice design
+ 2000dpi
+ Price (50 euros/70 dollars)
- I read somewhere that this mouse isn't suitable for desktop applications (no idea if this is true or not, someone experience with this?)

Razor Lachesis
+ Nice design
+ 4000dpi
+ Nine buttons (2 extra buttons just below the scrolling wheel, handy for changing DPI)
- Price (70 euros)
- Not for low-sense gamers (I have no idea what I am, since I've only ever played games with 1 mouse, and it's a cheap budget one..)

these two mouses my friends have and they think it is one of the best parts of the computer but the G9 is also a good mouse but they are very gaming mouses if you just want a normal multi use mouse just go for a microsoft ergonomic or logitech ergonomic it is cheap and good for most things.
weableandbob
Although I don't have it personally (yet), I've heard that the g5, or it's newer form, the g500 are quite good