FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Decrease MP3 File Size

ginny2689
Hello
Is there any software by which one can decrease the high bitrate mp3 files to low one without losing the clarity.

i know the clarity will lose but it's willn't be very much (just a little bit or looks that it's high quality). Razz

Thanks
Mcfr0st
i use dBpoweramp

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

it can convert to and from a whole lot of formats with the downloadable codecs, its useful and very easy to use
fadirocks
I prefer opensource Smile

http://www.bonkenc.org/
supports lame mp3 3.98 all vbr modes too Smile
AftershockVibe
If you lower the bitrate, you will lose quality. Especially if you are converting from the MP3 and not re-ripping from the original disk.

Whether you will notice of course is another matter Wink
FunDa
ginny2689 wrote:
Hello
Is there any software by which one can decrease the high bitrate mp3 files to low one without losing the clarity.

i know the clarity will lose but it's willn't be very much (just a little bit or looks that it's high quality). Razz

Thanks

I use Super(c) for converting audio and video. In fact, there a an mp3 which wouldn't play on my phone, but played properly in my computer. I just converted from mp3 to mp3, just lowering the bitrate a little, and a got a smaller file which played in my phone as well.
bissoboa
Quote:
f you lower the bitrate, you will lose quality. Especially if you are converting from the MP3 and not re-ripping from the original disk.

Exactly... If possible do the work from the original.
Apart this fact, I use "lame" for all encodings I need, in my linux workstation.
snowynight
I used to use mp3s whose bitrates are lower than 128 . However, then i learnt about ape or flac, and also mp3 players nowadays have larger storage. So now I either use ape format or simply wave files. The qualities are nicer esp. in the car. Do you think so?
ginny2689
Guys now suppose i have a song at 128 CBR
if i will change it's bitrate to 320 VBR does the clarity will decrease or increase or nothing ?

because of lower harddisc i wanna a good clarity at 128 CBR Sad (maybe not possible) but also like orignal or but seems to be orignal Razz
Agent ME
snowynight wrote:
I used to use mp3s whose bitrates are lower than 128 . However, then i learnt about ape or flac, and also mp3 players nowadays have larger storage. So now I either use ape format or simply wave files. The qualities are nicer esp. in the car. Do you think so?

I'm sure .wav files are overkill for mostly anything - A nice bitrate mp3 usually sounds great.
bulek
Convert MP3 to ogg, you will get better quality for smaller file size.
aningbo
ginny2689 wrote:
Guys now suppose i have a song at 128 CBR
if i will change it's bitrate to 320 VBR does the clarity will decrease or increase or nothing ?

because of lower harddisc i wanna a good clarity at 128 CBR Sad (maybe not possible) but also like orignal or but seems to be orignal Razz

i dont think u will get a better quality if u change the bitrate... if you are gonna use in the computer, ogg or rm is a good file extension and it will definitely decrease the file size.

good luck
Josso
Audacity with the LAME MP3 encoder is just fine for this job. I use it myself for compressing songs.

Anyway, I advise not going any lower than 128kbps for your iPod or whatever. Playing on bigger systems I would advise stickings to no lower than 192kbps for example. 160kbps is a good compromise if your not sure Wink
ginny2689
bulek wrote:
Convert MP3 to ogg, you will get better quality for smaller file size.

Name of the software which does allow this?
ginny2689
aningbo wrote:

i dont think u will get a better quality if u change the bitrate... if you are gonna use in the computer, ogg or rm is a good file extension and it will definitely decrease the file size.

good luck

What's the software that convert mp3 to ogg?
ginny2689
Josso wrote:
Audacity with the LAME MP3 encoder is just fine for this job. I use it myself for compressing songs.

Anyway, I advise not going any lower than 128kbps for your iPod or whatever. Playing on bigger systems I would advise stickings to no lower than 192kbps for example. 160kbps is a good compromise if your not sure Wink

yes but i think more i found that the size effects volume so one can also raise the volume of speaker if that person not a good quality lol

i always used 128 CBR lol
FunDa
ginny2689 wrote:
aningbo wrote:

good luck

What's the software that convert mp3 to ogg?

SUPER does this. So do many other free media convertors. OGG is an open format.
But make sure your player supports it.
loyal
.wma is a more compressed form of .mp3
But you'd have to get an mp3 that can read wma files

Peace.
tsuvik
Try Audacity with Lame encoder. It should do the work
ginny2689
FunDa wrote:

SUPER does this. So do many other free media convertors. OGG is an open format.
But make sure your player supports it.

Does the size increase or decrease by .ogg format & what about clarity?
FunDa
loyal wrote:
.wma is a more compressed form of .mp3
But you'd have to get an mp3 that can read wma files

Peace.

Not really.

WMA is Windows Media Audio format by Microsoft .

MP3 is a different format made for Small size audio files with some loss of quality
weableandbob
There isn't a way that I know of to reduce the size without any loss of quality. However, it all depends on how much of an audiophile you are; I can barely tell the difference between any bitrate above 128 kbps.
sevana
weableandbob wrote:
There isn't a way that I know of to reduce the size without any loss of quality. However, it all depends on how much of an audiophile you are; I can barely tell the difference between any bitrate above 128 kbps.

And probably equipment you use to play the audio...
nivinjoy
If you reduce the size the clarity will reduce terribly...
LostOverThere
Josso wrote:

Good advice here. Audacity is an excellent tool, and can export to a number of different files and bit-rates.