FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lightnings

legion
We had some "luck" this week. A big storm Laughing. I think it had over 1000 lightnings in 3 hours! Kind of scary if you don't like them Rolling Eyes.

Fortunately I had my camera prepared Very Happy. I used a Canon S3 with an exposure of 10s and an aperture of f/8.

The shots were taken in Brasov, Romania.

Lightning shots:

From past storms:

Diablosblizz
I don't understand how people get these shots! I could never get that if my life depended on it. Anyways, great shots! Very nice to see.
Fatality
Very nice shots. I too doubt I could even come close to actually getting a picture of a lightning strike. All in the timing or something. Good job.
legion
Diablosblizz wrote:
I don't understand how people get these shots! I could never get that if my life depended on it. Anyways, great shots! Very nice to see.

Fatality wrote:
Very nice shots. I too doubt I could even come close to actually getting a picture of a lightning strike. All in the timing or something. Good job.

Thanks Cool

It isn't that hard to shoot lightnings. You just need a camera which allows you to change the exposure time(some seconds, it depends of the time of the day) and the aperture.
The rest is all about luck Cool . I mean you can shoot just one part of the sky, so if you aren't lucky the lightnings will strike to the left/right of your camera and this will annoy you very bad Laughing

I had luck since we had a lot of lightnings that night. Smile
bigt
Nice shots. I used to live in FL; lots of lightning. Guess I grew up with a healthy respect for it, and I really like to see it.
SHARPBALL
do you take those picture with a large aperture
and how long do you open your lens.
what camera do u use
is it a reflex you use....

great well done
Kashinilaya
Nice pictures! Anything related to nature is a work of art. What really impressed me is that the first few pictures seemed to show that the lightnings were falling on the same spot. If it was 10000 of them, many probably fell around the same place.
la_Duchess
Very nice. I've tried to get lightening but had a hard time. My pictures were not too good. Yours are amazing!!! It makes me want to try again... I just need a storm now.
jsarnold
Very nice images. We have lightning here so rarely that I'd almost never have a chance to take pictures like that. Nice images.
Afaceinthematrix
Nice job dude. I've never managed to get pictures of lightning; it's hard! You have to have some degree of skill and a lot of luck.
Hazim
very nice pictures.. I think cameras with 5 shots feature (5 shot sequence) as a kodak camera I had will do the job...
sefilim
these beautiful nights should be lived there
SonLight
Those are some great pictures. I was impressed by the number of streamers visible in some of the photos. You mentioned that luck is a factor, because the camera may be pointed the wrong direction. How about when to shoot? Is it possible to push the button after you see the flash? I'm guessing not, unless there are multiple flashes. A photocell-controlled trigger should work well if you can set it up, though.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
Those are some great pictures. I was impressed by the number of streamers visible in some of the photos. You mentioned that luck is a factor, because the camera may be pointed the wrong direction. How about when to shoot? Is it possible to push the button after you see the flash? I'm guessing not, unless there are multiple flashes. A photocell-controlled trigger should work well if you can set it up, though.

From what I understand, you generally set the camera up for a long exposure, point it towards the storm, and keep taking pictures. Many pictures will come up black with no flashes, but some will be lucky. The lightning is bright enough to show up in the long exposure shot even though it was there for only part of the exposure.
driftingfe3s
Wow, great shots! I want to try and shoot lightning as well too!
ocalhoun
driftingfe3s wrote:
Wow, great shots! I want to try and shoot lightning as well too!

Try central Florida in the summer. ^.^ Its the lightning capitol of the US, and in the right part of the year, I'll guarantee you a thunderstorm every afternoon.
Radar
Nice work - yeah, impressed that you can get these photos, and that you have the patience to do so!
Joanne
Wew...
Nice to look at.
Though not nice to know if there are casualties.

Confused Confused Confused