FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The new Apple iPod Nano.

Diablosblizz
Don't flame, saying this is fake. It's not, I thought it at first then I realized that it's here. I, myself, think it's freaking stupid. They took the old iPod nano and the iPod Touch / iPhone and put it together. New features include:

1. Genius. Oh yes, the freaking Genius that allows you to search all songs by the same artist your listening too. Wow, every iPod has that! :O Although, one cool feature is where it detects what music it thinks will go with your current song.

2. Just like the iPod Touch and the iPhone, rotate your iPod Nano to view cover flow. Although, the screen is not touchable. Again, whoo not that hard to go to cover flow. Personally, I don't use Cover Flow because it's SO SLOW.

3. "Shake your Groove thing." - What?! Apples can spokes real englibsh? That makes no sense! Neither does "World’s biggest small screen." How the flying heck do you get the biggest small screen? Although, Shake your Groove "thing" basically means you can shuffle your songs, literally. Shake your iPod Nano to shuffle your songs. That's actually pretty neat, but Apple needs to go back to Grade 1 english.

Nothing really much after that, excluding movies on the world’s "biggest small screen." Ugh, just another money-pit by Apple. While I like my iPod Classic, I hate the new features that they're coming up with.

Source: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/
william
You know the main thing that's been bugging me is that these new iPods are coming up with these gimmicks that are counterproductive. When I saw cover flow, I thought, why? It was so inefficient. I want to be listening to music, not spending my time trying to get to the music. I completely agree with you that it's slow...

I don't quite see the point of Genius, and shaking it...seriously (I didn't believe it when I first heard it). Honestly, I can't seem to stand the iPods. I never liked them when they were first launched, and they've just gotten worse. All of these are just marketing schemes to get the average joe to buy one of them.

Why don't they focus on audio quality? Why not work on something that will enhance the experience? A couple weeks back, I tried out my friend's iPod, and the audio quality was extremely disappointing. I had just used another person's Zen and the difference was so clear, any non-audiophile could tell.

Sorry if that seemed like a rant. I just don't get the point of these gimmicks if it's not doing what it's meant to do well. I mean, an iPod's audio quality isn't bad, but it's basically the average.

But these new features, I agree, stupid.
Diablosblizz
Agreed on the cover flow part. I've used it once or twice just to check it out and both times it froze on me, leaving me to restart my iPod. Like you said, the commercials for iPods, and Apple in general, are HORRIBLE. I do disagree with you on one part, I do love my iPod, it's just right. It's a 80 GB Classic, nothing new (except cover flow) and nothing stupid. I think it was one of the well made iPods. Until I realized that they copied the software and put it into the iPod Nano, which was released not long ago.

I just opened up iTunes, of course there is an update. Guess what? It includes GENIUS! Oh, but wait you need an Apple Account. Oh, and guess what, Apple decided it's going to install MobileMe again on my computer, but why? I never asked for this, so why am I getting it? I really want somebody at my school to get one of these, so I can point and laugh.

Oh, and have you noticed that the Apple website doesn't really work very well? The videos never load, and the pages look demented.
ftv_flung
Diablosblizz wrote:
:O Although, one cool feature is where it detects what music it thinks will go with your current song.

Sure, it'll pick up on your "taste" but will probably only be limited to what is on the iTunes Store (which I think is a major draw-back! The other sites, like Grooveshark which I recently joined is awesome. It's very similar to Last.fm, but they've got all the music sorted very early on. Everyone shares their music collections, and everyone can hear any song anytime Very Happy - That's a bit picky of me, but I'd rather be able to know all the other tracks I could hear instead of what Apple thinks I can have from their store.
Diablosblizz
I think that the Genius works with your current list of songs, not with the Apple Store, unless you are talking about the iTunes Genius. If so, then yeah.
chi0
What really irritates me about iPod is that every time they send out a new Nano, it's a different shape. And then they discontinue the older ones, so that you can't get the accessories, covers, etc for your old one any more.

Agreed with the fact that cover flow is a stupid idea. But I think the shake thing is pretty cool.

The best thing they could do for the Nano is put a reset button on it - so that you can switch it off and turn it back on again every time it freezes. Which happens a lot.
Vaemz
chi0 wrote:
What really irritates me about iPod is that every time they send out a new Nano, it's a different shape. And then they discontinue the older ones, so that you can't get the accessories, covers, etc for your old one any more.

I agree, that is really annoying...

chi0 wrote:
The best thing they could do for the Nano is put a reset button on it - so that you can switch it off and turn it back on again every time it freezes. Which happens a lot.

I agree, it really sucks to hold down the centerbutton and the play/stop button on the clickwheel.
psycosquirrel
This is why I don't have an iPod.

The interface is incredibly inefficient, and makes NO sense at all, for the most part.

Its all hype and fanboyism, all hovering around Steve Job's genitals.
ftv_flung
Diablosblizz wrote:
I think that the Genius works with your current list of songs, not with the Apple Store, unless you are talking about the iTunes Genius. If so, then yeah.

After seeing some news about it, it turns out I was wrong and that it only suggests songs within your collection, which I suppose is still okay...
Diablosblizz
psycosquirrel wrote:
This is why I don't have an iPod.

The interface is incredibly inefficient, and makes NO sense at all, for the most part.

Its all hype and fanboyism, all hovering around Steve Job's genitals.

I don't agree with that, I don't like the other iPods, but the iPod Video models (Classic for 6th gen) are the best. I think they were built to be the best iPod out there.

But, some of the ideas from Apple are good, although you better have around $300+ for them.