FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How exactly do domains work?

Afaceinthematrix
I pay namecheap.com about 10 bucks a year and they give me a domain. I could pay register.com about 15 bucks a year and they'd give the same domain. I could go anywhere and pay some company and they'd give me a domain... my question is... where does that originate from? I don't understand how the whole process works. How does namecheap.com somehow make mysite.com (that's not my actual url, I just didn't want to get in trouble for posting my site outside of the advertising board) go to my website? Where do they get the domain from? Can someone please explain the process in a simple way or lead me to a website with a simple answer? I've never really seen a good explanation for this.
joostvane
Well, I'm not an expert or something, but in Belgium (for .BE) we have an organisation providing the domains. www.dns.be controls all the domains ending in .be. (they are from the goverment)

But www.dns.be don't actually sell domains, that up to the agents. Every good hoster can also sell you a domain (so they are an agent). I think you need to pay a yearly fee to be an agent, because agents get the domain for about 4 /year, and they rip me off with 12/year. (talking in EUR here)

I don't know who controls the .com's Razz

Maybe someone can give a better/more expanded explanation about this?
reb00table
I'm not an expert either, I think there is a main service... ICANN I think....
testacct
Its fastest way to make money, is money from air. So exists ICANN who manage domain registrators and gives to them license + manage root dns servers. And than registrators manage whois databases and takes fee for them. For example you can start, giving third level domains for free. But for this you need start whois database server.