FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need question answered about music on my website

jmaninc68
i want to make a website that is a tribute to a band that broke up. i have bios, pictures, i want to put samples of their songs on there, now i kno i cannot put the whole song on there because i would get my account deleted but what if i just put like 30 sec of a song, like the chours. would that be acceptable?
raine dragon
Well, technically speaking the song is copyrighted, from the first second to the last. As far as having your account deleted, it depends on the host's rules...
standready
Get written permission from the band members/song writers to use all or a portion of the songs.
RosenCruz
standready wrote:
Get written permission from the band members/song writers to use all or a portion of the songs.

good idea....and declare on the website about it...
Arty
If you can you can just link to the song. ^^
mgeek
jmaninc68 wrote:
i want to make a website that is a tribute to a band that broke up. i have bios, pictures, i want to put samples of their songs on there, now i kno i cannot put the whole song on there because i would get my account deleted but what if i just put like 30 sec of a song, like the chours. would that be acceptable?

If I were you,

• I'd set aside excerpts from those music
  • convert them to WAV
  • make a javascript for background music that rotates those excerpts everytime the browser loads

You can find music to wav converters in SnapFiles.
There are cutnpaste javascripts available for the purpose described above (see examples in JavascriptKit)
RosenCruz
Arty wrote:
If you can you can just link to the song. ^^

that does not seem to be a solution Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
Well, unless you can get permission from the people who made the songs, then putting them on your website would be illegal, and against Frihost rules. Little excerpts from the song have exactly the same restriction on them. (though I would bet that you'd be less likely to be prosecuted for that, when they've got people pirating whole albums...)

Depending on the people involved though (and how much money they still make off of the songs, if any) permission might be easy to get... No harm in asking.
spring567
well , you can put the song from second second to the last Very Happy

raine dragon wrote:
Well, technically speaking the song is copyrighted, from the first second to the last. As far as having your account deleted, it depends on the host's rules...