FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MAC OS on PC for nerds

cshs
I know that there will be a post out there concerning this but I couldn't find it (please redirect if you know!)

I've been wanting to try out a Mac OS on my PC for a while now. Could someone suggest where I should go to find out more information about this (apart from the wiki site) - or - more importantly if you've done it I'd really like to hear from you and your experience. (please no skin or themes users).
aningbo
you will need a core 2 duo and also a good ram and graphics card. the file is available to try out in torrents. google it.
Studio Madcrow
It's doable fairly easily (just build a system that mayches the Mac's published specs and get yourself the equivalent of a full-blown Mac Pro tower for about $1200-$1300...
surdy
There have been threads on this before ...but anyways ...

I did install Mac OSX on my PC as an experiment as i won't want to keep it (illegally) on my system. Moreover i'm quite happy with Linux.
It worked great but the problems i faced were incompatibility with
1) Graphics card 2) Wireless card

The laptop was pretty much useless without wireless , so I removed it sooner than i had thought.
Here is a link for all the information you would need for this
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I did have to go through the painful process of backing data up and repartitioning my hard disk for this as OSX stubbornly wants to sit on a primary partition and i had only logical ones, but still it was great to have a tripple boot LINUX, Leapord and Windows
Fenlock
i'm amazed at how many of these articles are floating around in here.

if you were to look around, and search it up a bit, you'd be able to find AT LEAST three threads on this subject alone.
Bengt
Studio Madcrow wrote:
It's doable fairly easily (just build a system that mayches the Mac's published specs and get yourself the equivalent of a full-blown Mac Pro tower for about $1200-$1300...

too bad you won't have drivers to make it to work smooth Smile
leosthenerd
sweet...I've never seen anybody do a triple-boot with windows, mac OS X, and linux though Confused
froginabox
I did the triple-boot on my Apple hardware for a while, but it was a bit unstable for my liking. Also, I hate my partition table looking like swiss cheese. I eventually opted for Parallels VM software.

cshs, google the OSx86 project, they have a great wiki and software on how to run the Mac OS on x86 hardware.

Be warned, however, that Apple's EULA strictly forbids this.
leosthenerd
oh well Smile
leosthenerd
sorry, double post, i deleted it Wink
debsuvra
aningbo wrote:
you will need a core 2 duo and also a good ram and graphics card. the file is available to try out in torrents. google it.

Not necessarily. A mere Pentium 4 Processor with SSE2 (atleast) coupled with 512 MB RAM will run Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) just fine. With 1 GB of RAM, (may be 512 MB is sufficient) you can also run Leopard smoothly.