FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hide Program in Process List & System Tray

MeddlingMonk
I would like to know how to hide a specific process in the Task Manager process list while allowing it to continue running. Basically, I don't want users to be aware that it is there, nor be able to see it should they open Task Manager (and restricting access to Task Manager is not an option, unfortunately).

I would also like to know how to hide a system tray icon for a program that does not have an option to do so anywhere in its settings. Simply customising the Windows inactive icon list is not sufficient either - I want to be able to display everything else in the system tray and not have this program easily retrievable.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to do this? Thanks in advance.
[FuN]goku
i can probably think of something if you give me a day or so. I cant look for a solution atm, cuz i'm a tad busy with something else (aside from making this post) but i can check tomorrow when i have time.
MeddlingMonk
Thanks [FuN]goku. It's not an urgent matter, so I'm happy to wait a while for an answer.
Kelvin
you can try using a 3rd party software to hide system tray icons, for example PS Tray Factory or play with the registry key. But i don't know of a way to disable a particular icon. There is only a function to disable tray icons via registry to my knowledge. As for the process list in task manager, i'm also interested to know how that is done. So to the person out there who knows how to do this, please share with us.
mOrpheuS
This could be useful -

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/Hack_Windows_Task_Manager.aspx
firefox-cafe
thanks guys for this info.. it helped me alot
Diablosblizz
Sounds like your building a virus to me. ;P Just kidding, although it would be nice to know if any programs have masked themselves in the task manager.
MeddlingMonk
Thanks for all the suggestions - I haven't yet tested them, but hope to get around to it sometime soon.
aningbo
somebody is tryin to get naughty here....

keep your boss and higher ups away.... you are asking for trouble if u get caught.
MeddlingMonk
Actually, I am the system and network administrator (and this is for my home network anyway) - so I don't think there will be any problem. I am certainly not building a virus either.
ssthanapati
MeddlingMonk wrote:
Actually, I am the system and network administrator (and this is for my home network anyway) - so I don't think there will be any problem. I am certainly not building a virus either.

Good to know.... but it really sounded like u were making a virus