FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Airlines?

lungwah
Hey folks,

Does anyone know which airlines are best as far as being reasonably comfortable and cheap? I would want a ticket with a flexible return date. Should I use a national airline or a US airline? What are the pros and cons? Should I use a travel agent? I was thinking of flying into and out of either Columbia or Venezuala.
crdowner
Travel agents can definitely help. I have heard several people say to contact a travel agent located in or near your destination. A "local" travel agent can provide more information about local activities, hotels, etc.

As far as airlines go, start by searching sites like Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, etc. These sites will at least let you know which airlines fly in/out of your destination. Personally, I would probably stick with a US carrier but that is because I know very little about South American national airlines. I would be comfortable with British Airways or Luftansa but those are the only national airlines I know much about. I doubt either of these fly from the US to South America though.
lungwah
Hi, crdowner. Thanks a lot for your help! U are the best!!!
vetgaar
in germany we have that cheap airlines, comparable to rianair. it's called germanwings or airberlin. they have a lot of cheap flights, to many european destinations...
but necessary to take the reservation some month before you flight.... earlier makes the flight cheaper. so i can imagine, that they even had flights from 29 Euro on...
enjoy it.
ptfrances
Thank you vetgaar. Your advices could help me for my next trip in Germany
thejam
Air Berlin even has intl' flights. I recently booked a one way ticket Beijing-Dusseldorf for only 175 Euro. (This is a intercontinental 10hrs flight!!!)
They fly Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok as far as i know. It's a good entrance into Asia. From China you can use sites like Elong.com or Ctrip.net to book cheap tickets within China/Asia.
Service is ok, entertainment kinda so so, but the quality of the planes is great. I think they fly brand new Airbusses.
bonestorm74
Well if you were coming to Australia I might have recommended QANTAS but to be honest they've had a rough time of it lately. There's been a number of mid flight mishaps, malfunctions, emergency landings and so on. I think their fleet is getting a bit old and possibly maintenance is slipping a bit. Makes me a bit nervous to think of using them really!
justtj
Lufthansa Airlines is best i have traveled so far..
Hospitality, Food, Experience and Service is ultimate...
if u want a nice experience, try it...

else Airberlin is there for economical travel.. Smile
techscholar
I guess it really depends on where you are travelling in the world, but for my limited travelling experience I would have to say QANTAS. The customer service is not the best, but they have the best safety record (that I am aware of!).
If you are after friendly service and reasonable prices I would have to say Virgin Blue in Australia would be my first point of call.

Hope this helps?

Kind regards
palavra
Among the all i travelled was the best one

Turkish Airlines
chi0
Out of all that I've travelled before, I definitely have to say that Singapore Air was the best. I've travelled from Africa to Singapore, and Singapore to Japan using this airline, and they were really really fantastic - really cheap, the service was great and the food was delicious!

Otherwise, Cathay Pacific was really good, too. But they're pretty expensive.
joostvane
lungwah wrote:
Does anyone know which airlines are best as far as being reasonably comfortable and cheap?

Comfortable and cheap? Don't think you will find much. I'll just go for cheap: who cares about a flight? Its only for 5-10 hours, right? I rather spend the money on something more interesting than travelling. Razz

Also try to look for smaller airports, not the big ones. Those flights are sometimes cheaper, and you get less delays.
yunting
singapore airline is the best ! (:
yagnyavalkya
I have read a great deal about a lot of airlines I think from what I have made out
it is Quantas
that is the best
any I may be wrong
but I think it is one of the best
Thanks
zyd666
to israel the best it EL-AL <=
the worst airline company : OnurAir <=
airh3ad
Im sorry im here in the philippines i can't give you the best airline have in your place but be sure to pray for your safety , check it online for fare in there website.
deanhills
If you are travelling to the Middle East, Etihad Airlines is a good bet. They are generally lower cost than Emirates Airlines. Etihad has its hub in Abu Dhabi and Emirates Airlines in Dubai. If you wish to do lots of shopping at the Dubai Duty Free, then Emirates Airlines is the better choice, but if you wish to move fast with the least amount of hazzle, Abu Dhabi is a better bet. Compared with Dubai there is also much less traffic to negotiate around the Abu Dhabi International Airport. Etihad Airlines have some very good specials from time to time. They currently have some good deals provided the return flight is before 10 December. Quality is very good and if you are in business class, they have the usual bed-type situation as with all the other airlines.
formulam
For me travelling long haul from New Zealand to the UK I enjoyed both Singapore Airlines and Emirates. The others I have tried on that route are British Airways (via Sydney - they don't get as far as NZ) and NZ Airlines - both were mediocre at best! Emirates always has good prices, too.
bigt
I've always had great luck with Southwest airlines. Yeah, you don't have an assigned seat but that doesn't matter if you are traveling by yourself. The staff has always been great to me as well.
slashnburn99
American Airlines was good (uk-Newyork)

Virgin airways also good
Afaceinthematrix
I've always liked Southwest airlines for traveling in the US. But I always just use travelocity and similar sites to fine the cheapest ticket. I don't ever pay attention to the airline. As long as they get me there in a reasonable amount of time, I don't really care about the service.
john2
I like Virgin Airlines. They are heaps cheap and have a decent plane for you to travel on!
yagnyavalkya
What are the points with which one can judge the best airlines
please do consider the followin
1. service
2. fares
3. coverage
4. safety record
5. endurance
6. internationalism
7. hospitality
these are a few that one shoudl consider when deciding which Airline is the best
a scale from 1-10 for all the above points shoudl be decided and then totaled up to get the best airlines
Triple_7
Really depends on where you are going to and from. American Airlines has been my choice within the US for my last few flights. Usually if booking for the right dates their airfare is one of the lower ones. I found the leg room to be quite decent. Service is ok depending on the flights. But the longest flight I've been on with them was about 4.5 hours from Dallas to Los Angeles...only that long due to an hour ground delay getting out of Dallas. Stayed comfortable during that flight. Most recently took them from FWA-DFW-OKC then TUL-DFW-ORD-FWA just a couple weeks ago. Service on the flights varied. The 2 longer ones (FWA-DFW & DFW-ORD) we had normal drink service. The other flights were under an hour in the air so drink service was a choice between only water and apple/orange juices. The flight from ORD-FWA was water or nothing. But its like 20 minutes in the air.

I've been on several of American's aircraft fleet. The ERJ-145 is the most comfortable. 737-800 was also quite nice for the 1 hour flight from TUL-DFW. The 777-200ER from DFW-ORD...which will be used mostly on international long hauls, was...ok Confused Was more impressed with the aircraft itself and its power (I'm an aviation nut Wink ) then its comfort Confused Seat was a little more cramped then their smaller aircraft. The leg room didn't feel as spacious either. Plus the overhead bins get full really fast on a fully booked flight, so unless your lucky and get boarded early then you probably wont find much space for your carry on. I ended up having to cram mine under the seat in front of me which took my legroom for the 2.5 hour flight. Only plus side is the personal TV. Which if you have a window seat you will find a metal box for the entertainment system that takes up a decent chunk of your leg space. Their MD-80's and 757s are really nice for comfort.

Worst airline I've ever flown...comfort wise...service was top notch. Malaysia Airlines. Had two long haul flights with them, 14.5 hours from Los Angeles to Taipei and then 13.5 hours Taipei to Los Angeles. Both on a 747-400. The first flight was partly because I had already spent the previous 15 hours getting from FWA-DFW-LAX. This LAX-TPE leg was my first official long haul. The service and the food were both 5 star, constant supply of drinks, and the food tasted great, little amenities such as a hot towel before departure. But on the way to Taiwan the entertainment system was down, and there was nothing to do besides sleep, night flight and over nothing but water anyways.

But on the way back from TPE-LAX everything was great, started with a hot towel before departure, then constant flow of drinks. The food...Supper and...erm...supper Confused were both very tasty Cool Dont know what you call the second meal...besides a second supper, we took off from Taiwan at 10PM and landed in Los Angeles at 7PM same day...got 3 hours younger Rolling Eyes

But with Malaysia it was the seats that killed me..have long legs anyways. No leg room at all, the seats were quite firm, but the recline is great...until the person in front of you uses it...essentially puts them in your lap. I had a window seat and the 2 people next to me on both flights passed out the entire trip. So couldn't get up. Being stuck like that for such long flights with knees buried in the seat in front of me and not being able to even consider getting up it was miserable. Only thing that kept me from going completely insane was a few beers Confused

Really that's the only 2 airlines I have a good idea on. I've flown Northwest and Continental when I was younger and flying was much more enjoyable. TWA was a nice airline too if you didn't mind a few rivets rattling on the wings...and or duct tape flapping in the wind...not something you want to see when your 13, by yourself, and only the 2nd time you had flown Rolling Eyes But I remember Northwest as always being good service.

But anyone that had the pleasure of flying before September 2001 will remember the better experience that went with flying. In 2003 it was still not to bad, 2006 a little worse (Liquid ban went into effect while I was in Taiwan) and now 2009...I love to fly...but the enjoyment is gone. Now its check in on some computer thing at the desk instead of dealing with a living person, security is a nightmare, and the airlines have cut back to the point where your lucky you even get a drink on a flight...forget about getting a snack Crying or Very sad Flight attendants seem to have gotten a lot worse since 2006 as well. These last flights they were quite rude. Confused

Any airline going long haul in cattle class economy is not going to be a pleasant experience, so pick and choose wisely and hopefully find the most bearable Rolling Eyes
malcolmpreen
Personally, I've always used Air Canada where possible.

There have been occasions when I've had problems, but these have been resolved... and I've never been charged excess baggage for hockey equipment or ski equipment... (you now need to advise them of this baggage when booking... but that isn't a big issue).

Having said that... many Canadians I know, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole...

I guess the answer is that "it all depends".

Malcolm
deanhills
Triple_7 wrote:
Worst airline I've ever flown...comfort wise...service was top notch. Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks for the awesome posting. I've been planning to fly to Malaysia and will skip Malyasian Airlines then. There are a few alternatives available. My worst so far was China Eastern Airlines. Probably because the seats have been designed for smaller people and are very compact. The aisle is not straight as you walk through and some of the window seats are narrower than the others. The first seat I got I could barely fit in Smile So asked for a second one with ample space. Some of the seats jutted into the aisle. One of my most unpleasant journeys as well. Perhaps if Emirates Airlines fly that route I will try them out instead. Emirates Airlines are recommended Airlines on the Asian routes.
Triple_7
Quote:
. I've been planning to fly to Malaysia and will skip Malyasian Airlines then.

If its a shorter flight I would take them again, probably anything under 5 hours. The service is better then any airline I've been on, much better then the US airlines. But the seats are meant for a smaller person. I will just never use them for a long haul ever again, unless I can get into Business or First Class Confused
atleetalie
I don't know, most airlines are normally expensive but with the right deal, they could be the cheapest of all, you should find a travelwebsite with all those extraordinary deal.
amfriendsforever153
i like british airways,us airways,kingfisher airlines,air india,qatar airways.
redslazers
If you can fly Singapore, they are the best in my opinion
dickyzin
I also agree with Singapore Airlines being the best airline to fly with. They are currently having a massive sale which they call Super Deal which ends 30th of April. Some flights are almost half price! However, you don't earn any frequent flyer points with this ticket and no date changes allowed. The deal is valid for travel until end of June next year.
yagnyavalkya
After the Ari France Crash I think it is immaterial which is the best airways it is just that how they fly and who flies and what and what not who knows
My deep condolences to the family and friends of the people who were in the tragic plane
dickyzin
Accidents do happen and that's unfortunate. Even the best airlines are not immune to accidents. However, I believe that the chance of accidents can be reduced by taking precautions and reducing any possible risks. Even still, there will always be a chance of a crash. Statistically, it's still safer to fly than to drive a car.
deanhills
I also believe it is statistically much safer to fly than drive. The last Air crash - Air France - was beyond help as far as I can see it was a natural disaster, i.e. electric storm that nixed all the electronics. Hopefully the designers have taken note of it and will incorporate a better way of being immune against electric storms and make it safer to change to manual. Obviously lots of work needed to make it even more safe than what it is.

The Turkish Airline that crashed in Amsterdam earlier in the year was due to human error. Perhaps the pilots should have paid more attention. Maybe this is also a result of becoming too much dependent on electronic readings and electronic equipment.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
The last Air crash - Air France - was beyond help as far as I can see it was a natural disaster, i.e. electric storm that nixed all the electronics.
The experts are saying now that it wasn't any one thing in particular. Alot of things happened all at once, contributing to an all out failure. Bad luck and bad timing is essentially what it sounds like.

I like Aeroflot - Russian Airlines. I flew into Odessa, Ukraine with them and I never felt so safe and welcomed and utterly comfortable on an airline. Except maybe for a short flight on Southwest Air from Phoenix to L.A. when I was 16(the stewardesses sang funny songs on the intercom, it was great).
deanhills wrote:
The Turkish Airline that crashed in Amsterdam earlier in the year was due to human error. Perhaps the pilots should have paid more attention. Maybe this is also a result of becoming too much dependent on electronic readings and electronic equipment.
I agree. All the electronics are there to "help", not to do the job for the pilot. A good pilot should be able to function if some of his computers fail.
supernova1987a
redslazers wrote:
If you can fly Singapore, they are the best in my opinion

Thai Airways is the best. Excellent hospitality and excellent plane. Love it. Others are crap!
Solon_Poledourus
supernova1987a wrote:
Thai Airways is the best. Excellent hospitality and excellent plane. Love it. Others are crap!
So you have flown ALL other airlines to justify this judgement?
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
supernova1987a wrote:
I like Thai Airlines, they probably are marginally better, but then their ticket prices are marginally more as well. I find KLM and Lufthansa best value right at this moment. BAA had some good prices towards the end of last year, but are slightly more expensive. In my direct geography I also like Etihad because of its prices, which are much lower than Emirates Airlines for the same service and seat spacing. I also like Delta Airlines. Although I have not travelled with them for quite a while.
dickyzin
Heard about the unpaid month on British Airways staff? The aviation industry is in the reds and I hope safety is never compromised.
supernova1987a
lungwah wrote:
Hey folks,

Does anyone know which airlines are best as far as being reasonably comfortable and cheap? I would want a ticket with a flexible return date. Should I use a national airline or a US airline? What are the pros and cons? Should I use a travel agent? I was thinking of flying into and out of either Columbia or Venezuala.

Go to PriceLine.Com and bid on your tickets. Priceline didnt take any fees from me last time. You get pretty good deal at times. Also plan 2/3 months in advance so that you get better deals. Choose the shortest route and least number of stops with cheapest price.
supernova1987a
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
supernova1987a wrote:

yes
aakoj
Ari France Question Exclamation
dickyzin
Singapore Airline / Silk Air gets another vote from me. I just traveled on it just recently and I was given great assistance on the plane as well as at the airport. Great service. I'm very impressed.
Christ0phe
I have had only good experiences with Air Mauritius (4 times) and Ryanair (16 times, yes yes, provided you are aware of the rules they apply. 95% on time and this is really what matters to me). Otherwise it really all depends on teh crew and.... the passengers with which you travel. No general rule that applies to all flights of a company.
gandalfthegrey
Definitely United Airlines.

Take a gander at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Lonnie
Some of the best airlines for U.S are:
1.British Airways
2.Continental
3.Virgin Atlantic
4.Delta Air Lines
5.American Airlines.
nepalstar
Here in my country Nepal, just the day before yesterday there was a Place Crash and all the passenger along with the all crew members were dead, so I suggest you plz don't select the cheap and but search for the best and reliable one. for more about plane crash read the news on http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-1-134958-Nepal-says-pilot-errorlikely-cause-of-plane-crash

Thanks

Fly Safely...!
testsoc
Singapore Airlines and Emirates get the highest ratings I believe, and from personal experience, both first and second hand, I get the impression they are the best.

I hear bad things about US airlines, and British Airways isn't too great either.
zimmer
lungwah wrote:
Hey folks,

actually that depends on what area or part of the country you are traveling? here in the Philippines you can check this discussion for your reference in case someone travel http://fastsurvey.org/index.php/blog-discussions/5-DomesticAirline-Philippines/9-share-your-experience-in-domestic-airlines-in-the-philippines
deanhills
During my big trip in September to Canada and Ecuador, I found KLM a really great airline. Great prices, and they allowed me a special air ticket where my in journey was from Dubai to Montreal, and my out journey from Quito in Ecuador to Dubai. Since they are partners with Air France, my in journey was via Paris, and my out journey via Amsterdam to Dubai.

Another new discovery of a really great international airline for me was LAN Ecuador. What was a great novelty for me with them is that one can make changes to one's booking online. I managed to make changes at no extra charge.
Iceaxe0410
I've flown mostly within the U.S. Of the airlines that I've flown, Virgin and Jet Blue were the most comfortable ones. The problem with Jet Blue is they don't have as many flights are other airlines, so that's not always an option. Virgin is pretty good overall. It's actually my favorite airline. I might just like both because they offer television or music during your flight. Helps pass the time.

American, US Airlines, Southwest, Northwest, Delta, Alaska, and United were all about the same. You get what you pay for. It's not particularly comfortable, but it gets you where you need to go for cheap. Most offer at least a free complimentary drink during the flight and most offer a snack like a small bag of peanuts, pretzels, or trail mix.

Whatever you do, never take Spirit Airlines. That airline is the bottom of the barrel. The service is terrible, you have to pay for carry on luggage, there is no free snacks or drinks, and the seats are not so comfortable. You basically get what you pay for; the bare minimum. They generally are the cheapest airlines provided you have zero carry on's unless if it's a suitcase, backpack, purse, or laptop case. Those are still free, but you have to travel light to really benefit from the lower costs. You're better off and probably safer taking the more expensive airlines.
zaxacongrejo
TAP air portugal never crashed and it is for sale lol, and cheap
dharmin
I am not very sure which might be the best airlines in the world, but i really like the new Turkish airlines commercial featuring Kope Bryant and Lionel Messi....

As far as the worst airlines in the world goes, i think it is GO air in India..I had a horrific personal experiance with that airline! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ist-olga
I like Virgin America. For their monitors for everyone and service. I also like Luftganza for free wine and beer and nice outfit.
24aug2013
another vote for Singapore airlines. I also like Lufthansa, but not for the quality of planes, but the overall organisation - every time something goes wrong, they manage to sort out everything for me very quickly.

My biggest disappointment so far - Qatar Airways. I've flown with them a few times and every time I found the staff a bit rude and the planes weren't cleaned properly in between flights.
pravojednostavno
Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines
Pippo90
Alitalia is the most "low cost" airline among scheduled airlines. Maybe the service onboard is not truly amazing, but the prices are really affordable. E.g., Italy-Japan at 600 with return!
georgio777
I really enjoy low cost flights!
interapps
Ryanair for being dirt cheap and resonably safe.
KLM for destinations..
deanhills
interapps wrote:

KLM for destinations..
Agreed KLM is great for destinations, I just don't particularly like all of its partners however, particularly Air France. Transferring through Charles De Gaulle Airport is not the greatest. Think one of its best routes is the one direct from Amsterdam to Vancouver, BC.

Out of all of the airlines, and the routes I like to travel, KLM wins on both price and destination.
johans
georgio777 wrote:
I really enjoy low cost flights!

For me, low cost is my first consideration if i travel and second is the services then third is the convenient or luxury on the plane.

Most airline companies and best airline i have read and reviewed are those in middle east airlines such as emirates, gulf air and many more big names in middle east airlines. they come also on a cheaper price since oil is very low price on where the company came from.

Second best airlines are in europe, but some price are very high. consider also Asian airline because they have the best personalized services specially Philippine Airline, Cathay pacific and Cebu Pacific.
oliviafoster01
Fly Emirates, Lufthansa These are the best airways
richandmaninder
Emirates and British Airways for me personally