FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My monitor is not working when I turn on my computer

feverdream
I recently relocated. I have not run my computer since I moved. It has been about 3 months. When I turn my computer on the display is not working. The monitor says it is working fine, but it is not connected to the computer. I change monitors and still the same thing. Also, I have had to hard boot it in order to shut it down approximately 7 times. I try to open the CD Rom drive and it will not open. What could be the problem.
Psycho_X52
You could try reconnecting the source to the hard drive, cd-rom.... Use your ear to check if the hard drive is working (if you know what sound is your hdd making when it's working)
The videocard could also generate some problems. Make sure it is well in place.
Hope it helps.
psycosquirrel
Sounds like you might need a new power supply. Does the computer even power on?
Kelvin
i was just wondering what has the CD-ROM have to do with the monitor display. Ah you mean your CD-ROM cover does not open when you press eject... I can think of a few reasons to why your monitor is not displaying.

1.) When disconnectng your monitor to relocate... you may have dislodge part of the display card thus it will not display on screen when u plug in the cable. Open the casing to check on your display card position

2.) You plugged the monitor cable to the wrong display port if you are using an independent card. You may have plugged it to the integrated graphics port.

3.) Your graphics card is damaged.

4.) Your PSU is nearing its lifecycle and is no longer giving enough juice to run your computer.

5.) You used to plug your monitor power supply independently from the CPU power supply (as in the monitor power supply cable is not plugged into the CPU PSU but directly to the wall socket. Thus, now that you plugged it to the PSU, there is not enough power to run your hardware
Sunny
Just to add something to what Kevin Suggested....Remove the Ram from the slot and rub the contacts using a rubber and place it back, its a very likely problem. If it still doesn't works tell if the CPU fan is working when u switch on the pc.
Craeft
I am going to assume that Sunny is not from the States. To clarify the post, a rubber elsewhere is not what a rubber is in the states. Wink VERY different. It's an eraser. Just thought that might be some good information to have. Very Happy

I would have to say check all connetions and make sure they're secure. Then check all slot seats (video card, sound card [won't affect your problem, but check it anyway], RAM) to make sure they didn't get bumped, dislodged, etc. Once you have ruled them out as possibilities, start with the Power Supply and work backward.
ssthanapati
feverdream wrote:
I recently relocated. I have not run my computer since I moved. It has been about 3 months. When I turn my computer on the display is not working. The monitor says it is working fine, but it is not connected to the computer. I change monitors and still the same thing. Also, I have had to hard boot it in order to shut it down approximately 7 times. I try to open the CD Rom drive and it will not open. What could be the problem.

Well first check all your connections are secure.... if it dosen't work then try cleaning the pins of the connector using a Contact cleaner (i had a similar problem when the monitor was lying around for some time). If that dosent work then u may like to plug in the monitor in some other CPU to check if the problem lies in it. If monitor is ok then open up the case and make sure the graphics card is well seated... I feel checking the ram is not required as it dosent affect the display (i am no sure about on-board graphics though... so correct me if i am wrong).... then after trying again if u still dont get anything then ask here again
ThePolemistis
feverdream wrote:

could be ur computer.
The battery in your computer maybe dead.

If not, maybe your power supply.

If not that, then your monitor Smile
Brownst
Is it plugged in to the power socket?