FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why is Vegetarian Diet the best for all....





supernova1987a
This is from another post but I thought this would be of great interest so I reposted it seperately. You can discuss in the other one http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-80834-2.html . Thanks! Cool

Quote:

What are the health benefits of a vegetarian diet?

Vegetarian diets are lower in saturated fats, cholesterol, and animal protein. They’re also high in folate, anti-oxidant vitamins like C and E, carotenoids, and phytochemicals. Overall, vegetarians have substantially reduced risks for obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, and some forms of cancer - particularly lung cancer and colon cancer. Vegetarian diets that are low in saturated fats have been successfully used to reverse severe coronary artery disease



Is it possible to get enough protein on a vegetarian diet?


Absolutely, it’s actually difficult to become protein deficient unless you quit eating all together. Just about all unrefined foods contain significant amounts of protein. Potatoes are 11% protein, oranges 8%, beans 26%, and tofu 34%. In fact, people have been known to grow at astounding rates (doubling their body size in only six months) on a diet of only 5% protein. These people are infants and they do it during the first 6 months of life, fueled by breast milk, which contains just 5% protein.

Aren’t vegetarians frail and weak?

No, that one is a myth. Former champion bodybuilder, Bill Pearl is a vegetarian. So is the legendary 6'8, 320 pound wrestler, Killer Kowalski; fitness guru, Jack LaLanne; Olympic gold medalist, Edwin Moses; and 6-time Ironman Triathlon winner, Dave Scott, just to name a few. Burly vegetarians from the animal kingdom include bulls, elephants, rhinos, and gorillas. Try telling one of those guys that you can’t get big and strong eating your leaves and twigs!

What do the experts say?

The American Dietetic Association says that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

How does vegetarianism impact the environment?

Throughout the world, forests are being destroyed to support the meat-eating habits of the "developed" nations. Between 1960 and 1985, nearly 40 percent of all Central American rain forests were destroyed to create pasture for beef cattle. More than four million acres of cropland are lost to erosion in the United States every year. Of this staggering topsoil loss, 85 percent is directly associated with livestock raising, i.e., over-grazing. Much of the excrement from "food" animals (which amounts to 20 times as much fecal matter as human waste) flows unfiltered into our lakes and streams. (4)

8. What does vegetarianism have to do with world hunger?

Raising animals for food is an extremely inefficient way to feed a growing human population. The U.S. livestock population consumes enough grain and soybeans to feed more than five times the entire U.S. population. One acre of pasture produces an average of 165 pounds of beef; the same acre can produce 20,000 pounds of potatoes. If Americans reduced their meat consumption by only 10 percent, it would free 12 million tons of grain annually for human consumption. That alone would be enough to adequately feed each of the 60 million people who starve to death each year.


Okay, please read the quote above.
They come from a FAQ on Vegetarian Diet.
http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/nutrition/vegetarian.htm

In fact, the best diet is the Vegetarian Diet. And it also happens to solve the climate crisis going on because of Global Warming. You save 1.5 tons of greenhouse gas emission per year if you become a vegetarian. And thats per person. Think!

[Check Al Gore's Website: http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/index4.html ]
Kaseas
You mention that it prevents diseases - but all those diseases can be prevented just by being healthy. Meat is not the culprit.The reason the statistic may say so, is because most unhealthy people aren't vegetarians. If you only judge people with healthy diets, and active lives, meat-eaters would be just as healthy as the vegetarians.
RubySlasher
I was always curious about like if you fertilize a plant with a dead fish or rabbit or something, does that make that plant non-vegetarian?





.
Ghost Rider103
I disagree with vegetarian being the most healthiest diet.

For one, it is A LOT easier to increase your growth by eating MORE protein. 5% protein is not nearly enough if your trying to get bigger. Especially if you are trying to increase your muscle mass. They say that people doubled their body size in 6 months. I thought about that twice, and then I had to re-read, and figured this line is the most important of them all:

Quote:
These people are infants and they do it during the first 6 months of life, fueled by breast milk, which contains just 5% protein.


Most baby's do double their size from when they are born, to 6 months. So to say that "people" double their body size is sort of incorrect.

The only reason why they mention those professional athletes that were vegetarians, is because their is such a thing as "protein shakes". Protein supplements are widely used from bodybuilders, to just the average person trying to get enough protein.

I guarntee you that the body builder, and wrestler they mentioned was taking some kind of supplement for extra protein. There is no way possible a vegetarian can balance out a perfect diet without some type of supplement.

Not balancing your protein with everything else would not be all that important if you don't do any serious exercising activity (weight lifting, football, etc.). Fat is easier to turn into muscle. Which is why football players and bodybuilders eat so much food. They gain and gain, and work and work their muscles. If you were to work and work your muscles without getting any lean protein, it would be extremely difficult to gain any muscle mass.

The disease part is also incorrect, to an extent anyways. Like the other guy mentioned, there is a less population of people on vegetarian diets, so their is less diseases on that side of the diet. But of course someone who doesn't eat meat isn't going to get "Mad Cow Disease" because that is only found in beef.

Just because you are healthy does NOT mean you won't get a disease. If you eat some beef that is infected with the Mad Cow Disease, you will surely get it. It doesn't matter if you are the healthiest person to ever live on this earth, you will get it.

However, just like beef, chicken, etc has their diseases, fruits and other vegetarian foods also have diseases. Remember the tomato problem we had a few months ago? That is a perfect example. So their may be less reports of mad cow disease with vegetarians, but there are different diseases with different diets.

The most effective diet is NOT vegetarian. If you are not a vegetarian, you have a lot more variety of food, since you will eat just about anything. A vegetarian diet does not have very many protein sources. If I were to continue my daily workout routine, I would have to eat a lot of beans and tofu, and double, maybe even triple my supplement intake. Which is unhealthy.
catscratches
There are lots of alternatives for getting protein. For example, soyabeans contain more protein than meat.

Eating vegetarian is better for both you and the environement but I hate vegeterians who have the black or white view of the matter.

People should eat less meat, they don't necessarely need to go vegetarian. It's better that 10 persons eat vegetarian one day a week than 1 person eats vegetarian all the days of the week. I think a lot of people are scared of by the black or white thinking, which is very sad. I think a lot more people could be "recruited" if vegetarian organizations said we should eat less meat, not stop completely.

(I'm a vegetarian by the way.)
peaceupnorth
The topic of this post is "Why is Vegetarian Diet the best for all...."... and I have another thing to add:

When I was a kid, I heard in boyscouts how some kids learned how to tie a hangman's noose, and then used that knowledge to hang a cat. The image that provoked in my mind made me upset for a week. Now those boys were being cruel for what seemed like no reason... some would argue that eating the meat would have made the killing justified... but since almost everyone can live on a vegetarian diet, why should we ever eat meat if it's not needed? Why be unnecessarily cruel?

Most people don't think like this, and I am puzzled as to why not... I for one would like to minimize the suffering I create in the world... and being veg I've saved money and become much healthier.

Some reasons people eat meat: "it tastes good" or "I have to to survive". Ok, if you have to eat it to live, well jeez that's a tough life to have to live, and hopefully you or your descendants can live more peacefully. If it's just for taste, well isn't it the same as robbing someone? You want something, and so you take it, regardless of whether the other suffers for it. I would say we have no right to kill and eat animals for the same reasons as we have no right to rape or steal from someone.

Veg diet is good for us, for the animals (obviously) and for the planet as a whole. I am convinced of this, please, if anyone disagrees with me let them speak.
catscratches
peaceupnorth wrote:
Some reasons people eat meat: "it tastes good" or "I have to to survive". Ok, if you have to eat it to live, well jeez that's a tough life to have to live, and hopefully you or your descendants can live more peacefully. If it's just for taste, well isn't it the same as robbing someone? You want something, and so you take it, regardless of whether the other suffers for it. I would say we have no right to kill and eat animals for the same reasons as we have no right to rape or steal from someone.

Veg diet is good for us, for the animals (obviously) and for the planet as a whole. I am convinced of this, please, if anyone disagrees with me let them speak.

The "I have to survive"-reason is just plain idiotic. Like you couldn't survive on veg. food. Besides, maybe You survive if you eat meat, but what about All the other people on the world? They're starving and part of it is cause you're eating meat. It's the classical 90% energy-loss problem. If you don't know about that you havn't studied your biology enough, you should have learned about it in about 3rd grade.
peaceupnorth
catscratches wrote:

The "I have to survive"-reason is just plain idiotic. Like you couldn't survive on veg. food. Besides, maybe You survive if you eat meat, but what about All the other people on the world?


Heh heh yes I'm in total agreement with you scratchez... I was just referring to situations like, say, an eskimo 200 years ago. There's definitely nothing to live off but meat in that climate. But in this day and age the tables have turned: vegetarianism will help ensure our survival far better than meateating will, as you made clear in your example.
handfleisch
Becoming a vegetarian was a big part of a complete turnaround in my health, from very bad to very good.

I have met others who had their allergies go away after doing nothing more than quit meat.

But often it's important that people follow a program that makes sense. Just cutting the meat out of your regular diet might leave you dissatisfied, and if you keep eating all the other unhealthy things (chips and sodas and microwaved food), you might not get to be feeling any better.

People think they will whither away without meat? Elephants are vegetarians! I know a seven year old child who has been brought up vegetarian and he is actually a bit chubby.

I think to stop eating meat is a big step in personal happiness and spirituality.
deanhills
There is a lot of literature available regarding the fact that vegetarian is not necessarily the best diet for everyone. Some people need to have red meat in their diet. Others need to have a vegetarian diet. Depends on your physical make-up, how you digest food and how active you are. There are some books about blood types too, suggesting that Blood type O for example would need to have a high-protein meat diet as well as lots of activity and exercise.
loyal
supernova1987a wrote:


Is it possible to get enough protein on a vegetarian diet?


Absolutely, it’s actually difficult to become protein deficient unless you quit eating all together. Just about all unrefined foods contain significant amounts of protein. Potatoes are 11% protein, oranges 8%, beans 26%, and tofu 34%. In fact, people have been known to grow at astounding rates (doubling their body size in only six months) on a diet of only 5% protein. These people are infants and they do it during the first 6 months of life, fueled by breast milk, which contains just 5% protein.


It'll still be much harder to get enough protein in your diet, especially if you are using weights (bodybuilding). Although i'm suprised oranges have protein in them.

Peace.
TBSC
I disagree. I believe that high protein/fat/low carb diets are best. Like the Atkins diet or the Zone diet. I feel spacy on a vegetarian diet and the Zone diet helps even out my blood sugar and makes me have stable energy levels. Both diets are backed by lots of testimonials and evidence.
HamsterMan
Be fairly warned that studies have shown that diets like the Atkins one could possibly be very dangerous for you, and many if not most people that follow them will regain all the weight they have lost.
TBSC
HamsterMan wrote:
Be fairly warned that studies have shown that diets like the Atkins one could possibly be very dangerous for you, and many if not most people that follow them will regain all the weight they have lost.


Yeah atkins is harsh. I still do eat carbs just in moderation.
peaceupnorth
deanhills wrote:
There is a lot of literature available regarding the fact that vegetarian is not necessarily the best diet for everyone. Some people need to have red meat in their diet. Others need to have a vegetarian diet. Depends on your physical make-up, how you digest food and how active you are. There are some books about blood types too, suggesting that Blood type O for example would need to have a high-protein meat diet as well as lots of activity and exercise.


Dear deanhills,

It's true that vegetarian is not the best diet for everyone. Of course it's true... take a 90 year old american indian who has hunted and fished her whole life and only knows meat as a primary nutrition source... ok the best diet for her is probably non-veg!

And probably there are a few people on this earth who must eat meat to live, for some medical reason.

Do you have some examples of literature that says that some people have to eat meat?

Regarding the blood type diet, to be sure the "Eat Right for your Type" is a top ten bestseller, but it isn't necessarily true at all! See this article for more details:

http://www.earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm

After reading this article, it is apparent that the blood-type theory cannot be used to argue that a large percentage of the population needs to eat non-veg foods.

Not enough people realize that they won't fall over and die of malnutrition if they cut out animal foods. You can get your fats, proteins and minerals from many sources, and plants by themselves have everything you need.
deanhills
peaceupnorth wrote:
deanhills wrote:
There is a lot of literature available regarding the fact that vegetarian is not necessarily the best diet for everyone. Some people need to have red meat in their diet. Others need to have a vegetarian diet. Depends on your physical make-up, how you digest food and how active you are. There are some books about blood types too, suggesting that Blood type O for example would need to have a high-protein meat diet as well as lots of activity and exercise.


Dear deanhills,

It's true that vegetarian is not the best diet for everyone. Of course it's true... take a 90 year old american indian who has hunted and fished her whole life and only knows meat as a primary nutrition source... ok the best diet for her is probably non-veg!

And probably there are a few people on this earth who must eat meat to live, for some medical reason.

Do you have some examples of literature that says that some people have to eat meat?

Regarding the blood type diet, to be sure the "Eat Right for your Type" is a top ten bestseller, but it isn't necessarily true at all! See this article for more details:

http://www.earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm

After reading this article, it is apparent that the blood-type theory cannot be used to argue that a large percentage of the population needs to eat non-veg foods.

Not enough people realize that they won't fall over and die of malnutrition if they cut out animal foods. You can get your fats, proteins and minerals from many sources, and plants by themselves have everything you need.


I read that article before. It is a good one. Blood type aside, I do believe there are people who are different in their needs and that some thrive on animal products in their diets, others don't. I do not know whether you are familiar with Dr. Anne Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush Diet. She struggled to loose weight (before her famous days) and ascribes this to a purely vegetarian diet (including the macrobiotic diet at one stage) being wrong for her type. I would go further to say that we may even change during our lifetimes. Perhaps animal flesh, or fish would be good for a year or two or more, and you may find all of a sudden that you are reacting sensitively and need to change, and that vegetarian may be better for you, or the other way round. Probably best is to listen to your body and what it tells you.
peaceupnorth
deanhills wrote:

I read that article before. It is a good one. Blood type aside, I do believe there are people who are different in their needs and that some thrive on animal products in their diets, others don't. I do not know whether you are familiar with Dr. Anne Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush Diet. She struggled to loose weight (before her famous days) and ascribes this to a purely vegetarian diet (including the macrobiotic diet at one stage) being wrong for her type. I would go further to say that we may even change during our lifetimes. Perhaps animal flesh, or fish would be good for a year or two or more, and you may find all of a sudden that you are reacting sensitively and need to change, and that vegetarian may be better for you, or the other way round. Probably best is to listen to your body and what it tells you.


Thanks for your response. Dr. Gittleman's fat "problem" may have been due to other factors than her vegetarian diet. I know way more fat omnivores than fat vegetarians, and this observation is supported by scientific studies: This one for example. Also, being a little chubby doesn't necessarily equal being unhealthy. In fact, being underweight can be just as unhealthy as slightly overweight. She prefers to be underweight, OK, and eating meat helps her stay that way. Ok good for her. But this doesn't make it good evidence that many people NEED to eat non-veg to be healthy.

Do you have any evidence, perhaps of a scientific sort, that suggests that regular meat consumption makes one a healthier, stronger human being? I haven't seen too much of this sort, although I've read lots that suggests the opposite is true...

I have a question... you suggest "listen to your body", but how do you know your cravings are good? What's the difference between a healthy craving and a sick one? My body cried out for cigarettes when I was quitting, and I didn't listen to it... now I'm 4 years smoke free, and much healthier for it!

Thanks, nice to discuss with you.
HamsterMan
According to some studies, slightly overweight people live longer than "normal" weighing people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/20/health/20fat.html?_r=1

Just thought I'd throw that in.
deanhills
HamsterMan wrote:
According to some studies, slightly overweight people live longer than "normal" weighing people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/20/health/20fat.html?_r=1

Just thought I'd throw that in.


Interesting study with interesting results. Think there has to be some merit in it. Relatives who were very thin, were not as resistant to things like flu etc., but others seem to have been much hardy and robust.
handfleisch
I find it very absurd how people follow the latest fad diets and exercises. Adkins and Pilates. The first sounds like a disease and the second like the judge at the trial of Jesus.

Of course you can be healthy while eating meat, but it's also true that cutting out meat can cure ailments and the opposite is rarely true. Going veg can also make you slim down and feel better emotionally.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
I find it very absurd how people follow the latest fad diets and exercises. Adkins and Pilates. The first sounds like a disease and the second like the judge at the trial of Jesus.

Of course you can be healthy while eating meat, but it's also true that cutting out meat can cure ailments and the opposite is rarely true. Going veg can also make you slim down and feel better emotionally.


You must be lucky handfleisch and it does not look as though you have ever needed to worry about weight. I agree, diet and exercise that are unnatural to our daily living can be regarded as absurd. But perhaps there are people who really battle to loose weight. And then of course there is a multi-billion dollar health industry, trying to cash in and people willing to try anything. Think the right word for the "Adkins" diet is Atkins. it is well known that it is a diet that is not good for people in the longterm. Cutting out meat is good for curing ailments. But it may also be good for people who are generally weak and may need that form of protein to get stronger. Going veg is good, but one has to be careful that you get the right sources of protein and iron. There are plenty ingredients in meat that in moderation, can be very good for you, and cannot be found in vegetarian. Think there are a number of gurus that can testify to that. Of course the meat has to be of a good source, preferable organic of the grass fed variety.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
I find it very absurd how people follow the latest fad diets and exercises. Adkins and Pilates. The first sounds like a disease and the second like the judge at the trial of Jesus.

Of course you can be healthy while eating meat, but it's also true that cutting out meat can cure ailments and the opposite is rarely true. Going veg can also make you slim down and feel better emotionally.


You must be lucky handfleisch and it does not look as though you have ever needed to worry about weight. I agree, diet and exercise that are unnatural to our daily living can be regarded as absurd. But perhaps there are people who really battle to loose weight. And then of course there is a multi-billion dollar health industry, trying to cash in and people willing to try anything. Think the right word for the "Adkins" diet is Atkins. it is well known that it is a diet that is not good for people in the longterm. Cutting out meat is good for curing ailments. But it may also be good for people who are generally weak and may need that form of protein to get stronger. Going veg is good, but one has to be careful that you get the right sources of protein and iron. There are plenty ingredients in meat that in moderation, can be very good for you, and cannot be found in vegetarian. Think there are a number of gurus that can testify to that. Of course the meat has to be of a good source, preferable organic of the grass fed variety.


I think all this is true except:
"There are plenty ingredients in meat that in moderation, can be very good for you, and cannot be found in vegetarian."
You can find all the healthy ingredients from meat in a vegetarian diet.

Also, if you really need to lose weight, cutting meat is a great way, combined with exercise.

Are there lots of vegetarian restaurants in Qatar where you live?
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Are there lots of vegetarian restaurants in Qatar where you live?


Where I am, people love their meat. But very good quality meat. They also love chicken and fish. Not necessarily organic, but there are strict rules for slaughtering according to Islam faith. Most popular restaurants here are Lebanese Restaurants. So they have the typical humus, moutabal, tabouleh, etc. on their memus. They are crazy about juices. You find juice bars everywhere and the most popular juice has layers of all kinds of fruit juice, topped with cut fruit. Another fruit juice they love is avocado juice. Some really good restaurants. You should visit the Middle East some time. Think you will really like it. Will be totally different to what you could ever have expected. One of the most peaceful areas in the world, the safest in terms of crime, and really great people. They have a lot of respect for expats (including those from the US believe it or not!).

By the way, I do not live in Qatar. Smile
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
Are there lots of vegetarian restaurants in Qatar where you live?


Where I am, people love their meat. But very good quality meat. They also love chicken and fish. Not necessarily organic, but there are strict rules for slaughtering according to Islam faith. Most popular restaurants here are Lebanese Restaurants. So they have the typical humus, moutabal, tabouleh, etc. on their memus. They are crazy about juices. You find juice bars everywhere and the most popular juice has layers of all kinds of fruit juice, topped with cut fruit. Another fruit juice they love is avocado juice. Some really good restaurants. You should visit the Middle East some time. Think you will really like it. Will be totally different to what you could ever have expected. One of the most peaceful areas in the world, the safest in terms of crime, and really great people. They have a lot of respect for expats (including those from the US believe it or not!).

By the way, I do not live in Qatar. Smile


Why do you describe the food and culture of the country you live in but are afraid to name it? Don't get me wrong, personally I don't give a rat's arse but you recommend it and cite it as proof of this and that so it's seems weird not to name it.
Crinoid
Quote:
I don't give a rat's arse but you recommend it and cite it as proof of this and that so it's seems weird not to name it.

Laughing Judging from rat's ..., you don't have to name yours Laughing
If seriously, the less real life data are given on Internet, the better (a lot of people insist on that, and don't require me to give their names and addresses Wink ). The information was provided to illustrate the option beyond "black-and-white", "vegetables OR meat", "I'm good-you are bad" version, without offering anything else - like country name and what will follow from it - for attacking.

Vegetarianism is a matter of choice, let the people have their own.

I, personally, believe that plants are living organisms too and deserve not to be eaten - just like animals. If it is matter of highly developed nervous system, allowing suffering during killing - then it is not a matter of plant origin, but belonging to more primitive (also highly disputable term) group on evolution tree.

Is herbivore diet good for carnivore? Or absence of plant products and by-products in omnivore diet? Illustration:
Large groups of people (and their ancestors) lived for thousands years in the same territory, not always abundant in all resources, and generation after generation (could be survival of the fittest for this particular environment) ate the particular groups of food. Seaside dwellers could have significant part of sea food, dry prairies with long winters - grains and well storing bulbous plants, in areas, where agriculture wasn't able to provide sufficient food - meat and milk products, with lesser extent of using plants and their by-products. But they were used - even on the farthest North.

Some of these groups of people didn't have common for other groups diseases, but immigrants from these groups to Northern America started to have them after changing their diet, within 1-3 generations. Others - personal observations, could be wrong comparing to scientific studies above - were able to use the same or very similar diet, that they accustomed to, and still don't have some common diseases, that a lot of people around them have. Some people hereditary don't have ferments to process some kinds of food.

I started thinking about that after several trials to become a vegetarian. Effects were from poisoning-like and indigestion to disgusting (affordable in sufficient amounts plants), just making my life miserable and creating necessity in consuming additional ferments and herbal nerve remedies.

Effect on environment:
Plants also require place to grow, with destruction of wild life habitats just by using the territory for agriculture. If take a wider look on the problem, low density population on the Earth, without industry of any kind, living by gathering and small-scale hunting, will be better for environment. Taking own place as one of the wildlife species and nothing more.

Now, express yourself! Wink
peaceupnorth
Crinoid wrote:

I started thinking about that after several trials to become a vegetarian. Effects were from poisoning-like and indigestion to disgusting (affordable in sufficient amounts plants), just making my life miserable and creating necessity in consuming additional ferments and herbal nerve remedies.

Wow, poisoning symptoms? From eating what?
That's weird that you got sick... perhaps you weren't eating good stuff? Or went in too fast? Like, some people don't digest beans or dry nuts very efficiently, and if they jump into full out vegan-style eating they get a lot of gas and cramps and stuff for a few weeks... they would probably just be better off going into the diet slowly by eating the same as they did as an omnivore minus the meat. And eating lightly, lots of vegetables for a few weeks, then adding more beans and whole grains, with lots of cumin and ginger and other herbs for flavor and to help the tummy learn some new tricks.

I mean, you eat vegetables and grains now right? So it shouldn't cause "poisoning" if you just switch over to just eating those. Some new vegetarians are anxious about protein, minerals etc so they eat some ghastly stuff like protein powders or good food in ridiculous quantities, and suffer for it. Others are eating white bread with jam and margarine or white pasta and tomato sauce or white rice stirfry and then wonder why they are always hungry, get anemic, and fatigued. They don't realize their diet has hardly any whole foods in it.

Omnivores with this type of diet are commonly deficient in minerals and vitamins too, I might add.

I've been a veg for 5 years now, my digestion works great, and I eat less than my omnivorous friends and yet am in good health, with good weight. Granted, I cook a lot for myself, but that's a good way to eat regardless of one's choice of food... home-cooked is best. I don't take vitamins or supplements much either.
Crinoid wrote:

Effect on environment:
Plants also require place to grow, with destruction of wild life habitats just by using the territory for agriculture. If take a wider look on the problem, low density population on the Earth, without industry of any kind, living by gathering and small-scale hunting, will be better for environment. Taking own place as one of the wildlife species and nothing more.

Now, express yourself! Wink

I agree totally that less population density, eating and living closer to nature is a good plan. I hope we go this way, regardless of what people eat.
The main environmental issue with meat eating is the AMOUNT of plants and land and water and petroleum it takes to feed, house, medicate, transport, slaughter, process, refrigerate, ship to grocery store wrapped in plastic, refrigerate and finally cook each food animal. Something like 70% of America's grain harvest goes towards livestock feed... if I'm not mistaken. Getting one's nutrition directly from plants is MUCH softer on the earth, any way you look at it. I agree that agriculture is often very destructive, but look at it this way.... one acre of land can grow enough plant food to feed at least 10 people for a year if it's planted with diversity and the land is good. If it is pasture for cattle... I'm no expert, but by all accounts one acre, even of good land, is not near enough to graze a single cow for a year.
Arty
RubySlasher wrote:
I was always curious about like if you fertilize a plant with a dead fish or rabbit or something, does that make that plant non-vegetarian?

I don't think plants are fertilized with dead animals...
That is kind of counter productive. It takes more plant biomass to produce animal biomass, so why would you use animals to fertilize plants?

I suppose that vegetarians can still eat it, but I'm not sure about vegans. Vegans avoid eating any animal products for ethical reasons, vegetarians are just people on diet that consists of very little or no meat.
toasterintheoven
fruit diet is pretty intense, and then there's sun-gazing and people who claim they can survive on nothing but prana, which I think is mostly hogwash except for maybe one dude who's got it down
jwellsy
supernova1987a wrote:
T

[Check Al Gore's Website: http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/index4.html ]


Have you seen how fat and unhealthy Al Gore looks lately? This is more lies from another global warming hypocrite.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
supernova1987a wrote:
T

[Check Al Gore's Website: http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/index4.html ]


Have you seen how fat and unhealthy Al Gore looks lately? This is more lies from another global warming hypocrite.
Do you think he is on a vegetarian diet however? I agree with you, he really looks unhealthy. I get the feeling however it is as a result of too little exercise. I also don't think that health depends on being a vegetarian. It probably has more to do with a total life style that includes lots of balance in everything, but with emphasis of getting plenty of exercise, not necessarily only of the work-out category, just being on the move and on the go.

This is a link where Gore says he is not a vegetarian, but is trying to cut down on meat:
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/11/al-gore-im-not-a-vegetarian-but-i-have-cut-back-sharply-on-meat.html
Related topics
Why a vegetarian diet is healthier than eating meat
Vegetarianism
why google is best
A Lesson in Creation-Science
FS 17 September
Torturing animals
United Nations tells us to eat less meat!!!
I'm too thin and I don't want to
Vegetarian Diets For Children
Why think so many asian girls are so sexy?????
Vegetarianism
Starcraft vs. Age of Empires II
Do electric cars have a future?
Best Star Wars film?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.