FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

getting rid of smoke damage

Srs2388
I had a house burn awhile ago right?
well i am now cleaning and painting and all that.. could someone tell me things to get rid of smoke damage? I found that using bleach mixed with water works really well.. then going over it with "killz"
(its a kind of paint) it usually is white.. really thick covers up what's left behind. i took it on my ceiling without doing anything to it and it worked perfectly.
any more tips?
what about the carpet? it didn't burn, just smoke damaged.
ocalhoun
^Well, like you said, water, and possibly some kind of detergent (not bleach for the carpet though) might wash out the smoke particles, which is what makes things discolored.
standready
There are capet deoderizers available. Also try plain old baking soda. Best of luck to you.
PatTheGreat42
I'd go with the professionals. They really know what they're doing, and it'll save you time and hassle, and maybe some money if you don't quite manage to do a really good job and wind up like, losing money when you sell the house. Or something.
wellerchap
if you're insured, I'd claim and have it done professionally....the pro's know what they're doing & it'll save you all the hassle.
A good website forum I use sometimes for DIY info is www.diynot.com ....someone on there will give you the perfect answer.
Good luck.