FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to be a good shopkeeper on a retail shop [help!]

supernova1987a
I just started working at a retail shop, pretty small one, its like a stall in a big mall. I want to know the etiquettes for being in this job, like how to handle customers, how to help them find the thing they want, how to greet, etc.

1. What do I say/do if they say 'Just Looking'? How do I help?
2. Do I say 'have a great day after they say 'just looking'?
3. I know I can make better sales, if I help them clearly, like finding the stuff they want, or just helping out even if they say 'just looking'.... Help! I am not able to do anything!
4. How do I make better sales?
5. What are the etiquettes?

These are some questions, I'd ask, but there may be more. If you can help you know what I need to know. hehe Very Happy Question
crdowner
Many people are actually "just looking" and do not want to be bothered by retail staff. Others may claim to be just looking but they have something in mind but hope to find it themselves. I think the best way to handle "just looking" customers is to respond with something like "Let me know if I can assist you with anything" or you may approach customers with "I am happy to answer any questions or to make suggestions."

The important thing is to leave people alone when they tell you they are just looking but to also be available should they need to ask a question. It can be a tough balance. I hate it when a slaesperson hoovers but I hate it when I can not find one too.
supernova1987a
Yeah, it really gets tough. And I am selling low compared to my counterparts on other days!
Thank u crdowner. Your suggestion will help a lot.
Wink Wink
Afaceinthematrix
Quote:
1. What do I say/do if they say 'Just Looking'? How do I help?
2. Do I say 'have a great day after they say 'just looking'?
3. I know I can make better sales, if I help them clearly, like finding the stuff they want, or just helping out even if they say 'just looking'.... Help! I am not able to do anything!
4. How do I make better sales?
5. What are the etiquettes?

Well I have been in retail for a long time (since I was 16) and I will probably be in retail until I finish up college. I have usually been the number one seller (for commission) in the store (I work at Sears). So I know a lot about retail and this is what I'd advice:

1. If you ask them if you can help them find anything and they say, "Just looking," then simply respond politely with, "Well if you need anything just come up and ask." Then leave them alone. If they're just looking, then they most likely don't want to be annoyed by constant pestering. Sometimes too much customer service can be bad.

2. You can, but I wouldn't. Say something more like that I said.

3. I'm sorry. At this point you cannot do anything. Sometimes I get people when they first walk in and I offer to show them some of our good deals. Some customers like that and you'll get sales that way. Another way is to talk to them at the register. Ask them if they found everything that they wanted. Also tell them about some of the things that they may have missed that they may like (based on what they're buying).

4. You have to be polite. The most important thing is knowing exactly how to say something that sort of tells the customer what he/she wants. Give questions that don't let the customer say, "No, I don't want that." For instance, if I'm trying to sell a circular saw and we have a Makita, Craftsman, and DeWalt saw, I would say, "Which one do you want to buy?" instead of, "Do you want to buy one of these?" See the way I ask that question? I assume that they want at least one of them, so I set the question up that way. "Do you want to buy a table saw" should be translated to, "Which table saw do you want to buy?"

5. Be polite and always try to help the customer as much as you can.
supernova1987a
Thank you very much! I appreciate it very much. It really helped me a lot. Cool Cool Cool