FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you think it is necessary to go to school and work?

elephant03
I am taking three classes but don't have a job. Do you think I should get a job and go to school? Do you think it will effect my academic progress because of the physical labor. Do you think work is just same as school? I want to hear your opinion.
Jaggo
Depends on what you're after, buddy.

I'm facing this same dillema myself on my time of life, so at the moment I have 1 job at a restaurant and will soon start a single academic class.

I reckon it's all a matter of how badly d'you need the money vs how quickly wish you to progress.

I know my first priority for this year is about making money, so once the class starts I think I'll get a second job.

Next year I'll begin with full throttle at a regular university, so I won't be looking for a job on the first few months.

G'luck.

(What are you studying?)
Alaskacameradude
I had three jobs while in college. I needed them to pay for college as I don't believe in student loans, I didn't want to graduate with 60 thousand dollars in debt. I was able to do it, but it was hard and I can't say that it is for everyone. I'd start out with a part time job at the very least though, going to college usually leaves you some spare time that you could use to make money. Of course if your parents are paying for your school (mine weren't) than things are different. Working teaches you about the 'real world' though, in ways your schooling won't do. For example, I was in broadcasting/TV sequence and I actually got a job working at a TV station, it taught me some things that just my classes didn't.
Jaggo
Well, you're a lucky One.

I really feel that I made every possible effort to work in the area I'm studying (software engineering), and there truly are no openings for experience-less folk like me.

(Which isn't to say I've stopped trying or stopped investing in Open Source.)

And now that you've graduated do you reckon ya did the right thing having 3 jobs while in college? Didn't your grades suffer too much?
deadswan
I had 4 sujects last year and didn't have a job, but I failed 2 of my subjects...
So I'm probably not the best person to be trying to give out advice, but I'd say that if you're gonna get a job then you shouldn't get one that will tire you out so that you can't study, because a lack of study and revision throughout the year will end badly lol, I know that last part well... Wink
profbis
Discipline is the key and so is the proper time management. In my opinion, if you focus and study, studying few hours will yield great results. Again time management is the key.
sikoji
I think As Long as you enjoy It, there is No one Can Stop You,,,So JOb Or School????

The answer Is in your HEART!!!!
nigam
For me, it is not necessary to go to work while you have a school. if your parent can pay your tuition fee, let them pay for it since it is their responsibility as a parent. another situation is that, if your parents can't afford to send you to school, and you want to finish your education then you should work hard in order you can finished your studies.otherwise, it is your choice on what you want to do with your life.
spring567
Get a part job while you are in school .
Jaggo
spring567 wrote:
Get a part job while you are in school .

Yeah, I guess that's what I'll opt for as well.
kerryworkman
School is a great place to learn things from a book and to learn about yourself by expanding your understanding of the how things work and why things work and of who you are from the socialization of the universities. I loved being in school ... great place to develop the grey matter between your ears and learn how to learn. Outside of college in the work day world is where you try out what you learn at school... Basic concepts are what you bring to the table when you leave school with that degree. Any experience that you have of how the work place functions gives you that much more. No need to learn the expectations or the basics of what makes a good employee. Most places that are hiring you as a college grad does not care what your degree is in but that you have the tenacity and intellect to warrant a degree, they will train you to what they need you to do and how they want you to proceed.

Now it is up to you on how much real life experience you want to take into your first position after college. Find your own balance and what works for you.... no one else can decide this for you.
Pepperfan
Having a degree under my belt and have worked the whole time I would say this. If you can get a job in the field you want to go into get that job. If you can not then see if you can get an internship in that field. If you can get neither then get a job that will not interfere with school.

My friends who had career related jobs/internships are making much more money than my friends who had no job or an unrelated one. My friends who had a job in collage got new jobs after collage much faster providing the grades were good.

Charles
deanhills
elephant03 wrote:
I am taking three classes but don't have a job. Do you think I should get a job and go to school? Do you think it will effect my academic progress because of the physical labor. Do you think work is just same as school? I want to hear your opinion.

There are many benefits, provided that you choose the work you do well. Preferably it should be associated with the academic work you are doing, or alternatively the direction that you would like to move in when you have completed your academic studies and want to enter the work force. Then you can add this as part of your CV as this is usually the challenge, that by the time you have completed your academic studies, and are applying for jobs, that you will find that employers are preferring candidates with experience. So now you have an opportunity to do something about the experience part.

Also, it may enrich your academic studies, provided you choose the job carefully. You can learn more about business, about workers, etc. etc. and that could make your academic studies more meaningful, provided again that you choose the job right.

There are certain exceptions of course as certain academic degrees require much more study and involvement in the programme than others. For example if you were to study medicine or law, it would be better to focus only on the studies, and if you need to get experience, it is usually already provided for in the programme.
Afaceinthematrix
If you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to work, I wouldn't work. Unfortunately for many people, like me, I simply would not be able to afford not working. I have to go to work to pay for my school. But if it was up to me, I wouldn't be working.
jsarnold
Obviously such a decision is greatly affected by your personal feelings and ambitions. I grew up with an understanding that it was expected of me to complete school, go on to do A-Levels, and then go to university. The only factor I seemed to have some control over was the career towards which I would be focussing my course decisions and effort.

I completed my education (full-time) at the age of 23, by which time many of my friends who had left at either 16 or 18 had several years' experience in work, had changed jobs, moved on, and acquired very decent salaries.

Although my starting salary may well have been comparable or slightly igher than my friends' were - they had had up to seven years' headstart, and had bought houses, cars and got themselves nicely settled, whereas I was just starting.

After 12 years of the normal job I felt was expected of a 'normal' person, i suddenly realised it simply wasn't me, and packed it all in to do something I could have done after leaving school at 16. I don't regret my years of experience or my education though - valuable experiences, and always handy as a safety net for the future, but I think you have to be very honest with yourself early on, and don't let yourself be pressured into making decisions with which yuo don't feel fully comfortable.
keane
Honestly, I don't really think that it's necessary that you finish college. Though, finishing college is a plus factor and it gives you an advantage over others.
deanhills
keane wrote:
Honestly, I don't really think that it's necessary that you finish college. Though, finishing college is a plus factor and it gives you an advantage over others.

Unless there is a special reason for wanting to bail out of college (and there are a few), I don't think it is a good idea to not finish something that you started with. More than being a great plus when you go out in the working world, it is a personal accomplishment that would give you much more plusses in your self-esteem than knowing you had started something and then dropped out. It will be nagging at you for the rest of your life. Not to mention the waste of money that has been invested so far. You will have nothing to show for it, other than it has been wasted. You also may have taken up a spot in the College that could have been given to someone else when you originally applied for admission, and that person lost out. To stay with something that you have committed yourself to, especially when parts are boring or lots of hard work, practices good discipline for later achievements in your life.
soljarag
when I went to college, I was lucky enough to not have to work... I can't imagine having to balence studying with working
jsarnold
I went to school, left at 18 to go to uni, and worked for 12 years as a teacher.

Today, I use none of my schooling, but instead work at home doing the one thing that my schools tried to stop me from doing - writing.

I guess it's good to get academic experience, but I don't think it's for everyone. I don't see school as a one-size-fits-all solution.

For too many people it ends up being something to do while they decide what to do.
Afaceinthematrix
soljarag wrote:
when I went to college, I was lucky enough to not have to work... I can't imagine having to balence studying with working

You get used to it. You just have to acquire the habit of not sleeping much.
natilovesmike
As a graduate student in science, studying and working are the same for me. I basically get paid to go to class but mostly for working at the lab and doing research, although ultimately the research I do leads to my PhD thesis.
When I was in college I did not study until my last few years, but again I was doing science and the university I was going to was pretty demanding having ~30hs of classes per week, which made working very hard. But I knew people who had to work because otherwise they wouldn't be able to go to school. They were slower in graduating. When I was finally "working" it was technically for free and I was just getting the experience of working at a research lab.

All that said I do believe that whatever it is you are studying, having the actual work experience is priceless. Because once you finish your school studies it will be easier for you to look for and find a job for many reasons. 1- you will feel confident that you can do the job, because you have done it before. 2- the employer will have the same feeling, 3- you might get connections if you start working and networking.

When I finished high school, and while I was doing a required year of classes I needed to get into college (this was in Argentina) and these classes where not as demanding, I also studied to be an aerobics instructor. It was a one year course where I learned everything I needed to, but the course never made us practice in front of a real class...and I never had the "guts" to go out in the real world and be an instructor. So I have my diploma siting somewhere but I never did anything with it and I am sure it is because I never had a real experience while studying.

On the contrary...I also studied to be a dog trainer. But to be a dog trainer you have to apprentice with an experience dog trainer first before you can even take the test to get certified. So, before I even had to read any books or study I was watching and helping a real trainer. After reading many books and watching many real classes I started giving the classes myself...and to take the test you actually have to have a certain amount of hours of experience. I always thought that was a great thing and to this day I still give some private classes sometimes.

So, if you are in your first year of college and you don't need the money...then just focus on your courses and get lots of As. And then when you are in your 2-3 year get a job but a job that lets you study and that is related with what you study.

Hope that was helpful!
gueda
here in my country you don't have option. You should go to school. If you don't go, your parents can go to jail.
>.<
It's the law.
But i like study, I always go to school, univesrsity and work and study and read books a lot
carlospro7
I go to school and I'm taking 4 classes and I also work 10 hours a week. Of course I live around campus, and most businesses are small businesses and the owners understand that school is a priority and have flexible with hours. Getting a job certainly makes a difference on how much time you have, so you have to be ready for the responsibility.
jomar
if others can do, you can do it also... amongst personal behaviour that you must have as adviced , add also perseverance Smile it's a great honor after all Smile
Grasshopper
Get a job even if its crap. Most people graduating don't understand what working is about. The next few years will be interesting for graduates as many will be forced to take crap jobs or wait around for employment. And whatever you do think about your boss and realize why you have a job.
Triple_7
I haven't had the chance to go to a collage...nor at this point do I really have a reason too even though I'm 21 and as of the 1st became unemployed...but depending on the hours of the classes I don't think a job would be a bad idea at all to fill in the gaps.

Sometimes I feel school is overrated depending on your goals. In high school I had a full time job working anywhere from 40-60 hours a week. My grades did suffer a bit but my job came first...it had too....and I wasn't the only one in that situation so it was widely understood by most teachers. My Junior and Senior year I would work a few hours before school, clean up at home, drive to the school just to get on a bus...I took a vocational building trades coarse the first half of the day and built a house from the ground up. By the time I got the to actual classes back at the high school I usually found myself falling asleep. After school it was grab a quick bite to eat and off to work again till late night, get home, clean up, eat, sleep a couple hours, get up the next morning and repeat. No time to waist doing pointless homework or study for that big test. And it wasn't working at a fast food place flipping burgers...it was working on farms around livestock and all hard physical labor.

But had I sat around during school and did nothing, I probably would be living in a cardboard box and have nothing to show for all those years. The last 2 years of book work taught me nothing, it was useless information that had already been drilled into my head from all the past years. Hands on vocational training on a job site and working a full time job got me where I am today, and I would not change any of it if I could.

Teachers had a heart and passed us without really making a big deal about homework not done, just so we gave them a little respect and did in class work. They agreed with everyone else that everything was a repeat of the past years and was really pointless. We all turned out ok. But that was high school and most of us had no desire to study at a collage anyways....just not our cup of tea Confused
sebbe44
Do both, you can get overworked later dude...
Kelvin
it all depends on whether you can handle the stress and juggle your time well. If you are ok at having 3 subjects and think you can still cope with your for additional income, then you can give it a shot. Anyway if you can't cope, then just drop the part time job. On the contrary, you can opt to take on more subjects and finish the course earlier? I did up to 6 subjects per semester without taking on a part time job. So if you have need for the extra income and don't mind managing your time wisely, then it should be ok.
forkei
i think you should go to school to study lots of Knowledges
wendy_b
I was very lucky that my husband told me to quit work so I could go to college full time. He has been working his butt off, but he know that in the end, it should pay off. Of course, when I started college the economy here in the US was not so crappy, so now that I'm ready to graduate next month, I'm freaking out because of the lack of jobs.

If you can handle a job, AND Keep your grades up, go for it!! I knew that I would not be able to, because of how many classes I was taking during each semester. (4-6)

Good luck!!! Very Happy
gtoroap
Absolutely not. Its desiderable but not mandatory. There are people who never wente to a school, but they have many skills to manage his own business or they are good workers. And, on the other hand, I met excellent students who never got a decent job or show his talents.
wanshi
elephant03 wrote:

I think work is different from school . one can learn many different things that usefull from both them. so if you will ,go for a job outside ,then you will enjoy what you get.
hamza1122
Yeah, well it depends on what you want to achieve in life. if you want to become successful in a job such as a teacher or even become a doctor then it is critical that u go to school. even if you want to become a professional basketballer or something when you growing up you still need an education so you can fall back on in case u don't make it.
bloodrider
I'm with the same dilemma.
I've studied only, but now I've been studding and working at a part-time job. It isn't the same thing, I can't do all the classes...
And now I've been offered a job in my area, full-time, the problem is that if I accept it, it will take me some years to finish my degree :S
I don't know yet what I'll do, but as where I'm, and in my area, the degree doesn't really matter, it's the knowledge and I already have it, maybe I'll pass the degree to second plan...
Greatking
we endure hard and unpleasant things in life only because it is necessary to have the best in the end. i believe in schooling and then getting into the job market. the stages. but life doesn't span out that way for some of us. i am getting ready for school yet i am working. i know its gona be very difficult but i am preparing my mind for the stress. its cool if your parents have the money to take you through college, but when you dont have the privelage, you work it. never settle for less always strive for the best. and if going to school whilst working will get me the best. then way to go! cheers!
bsbteng
if money is not a problem, why do you need a job? if money is a problem , then you have to get a part-time job. you have no choice.
bsbteng
I really feel that I made every possible effort to work in the area I'm studying (software engineering), and there truly are no openings for experience-less folk like me.
hangnhu
If you mean work while you study, it depends really
if you're working to make money, then it because you need to work

you have to be able to balance work and study, you don't want to fail your study because you have been concentrating on work or working overtime

if you could get a some similar to your career path while you study, then that excellent, case it adds more experience to your CV and help you one later

I worked the first year of my BA, but didnt' the second or the final, but I was working between my MA earlier this year and everything was neck and neck. I had no free time because as I finish one set of dealines I faced another (I had contract drawing package to issue at work).

now I'm jobless, and although I got plenty of school work, I'm desperate for a job cause I got no money and I'm certainly not getting any funding.

work is good for you, so if you have the spare time, then do it
ptpmonitor
i think if you want to do job beside your study then it will create effect on your study and maximum people can't maintain both nicely. if you spend times after the job, it will reduce the time of your study and if the time reduced for study, it will be hard to complete the home tasks and study papers. If it is possible not to take the job right now, then my suggestion is only stick with the study until you will complete the A level.
crimson_aria
I am currently studying and working part-time. It's really hard but I wanted a productive life and less procrastination so I did my best to manage it. but now that I'm on my last year in uni, I need to focus more cause of the so many projects we have. I thought of this really hard, I didn't want to quit but I have to. it's my last week at work this coming week. sad because I met many friends at work, but I need to study much more than I need work right now. prioritize.
standready
If you don't need the money to pay for school, don't get a job! Concentrate on your studies. I wish I could have done that. I had to work to pay for school.
Ryox
elephant03 wrote:

It really depends on if you want the money, but the education is more important in order to get a real steady job. it will effect your progress in school when you do get a job and will have problems with both later on, if you decide to do both.
joe_042293
I think this sort of decision whould be up to you, really. Consider the jobs available, how much time they will take out of a week, and how well you are currently doing at school. If you're struggling right now, before having even become employed, then the answer should be clear. If you're finding yourself with a lot of free time, though, maybe a job would be good.

Or you could always get a job with flexible hours. When I was at school, I had a web design business. I could take on lots of clients during periods where I was bored, and less when I was busy.
skimox
Get a job as soon as you can. I didn't and it was a pain paying off those study loans from my salary. Crying or Very sad
_AG_
If you're doing well in school and not working I'd say keep it that way. Get the education done because you'll always have time to work.
Greatking
its good to finish school before a person gets a job. otherwise if a person doesn't have the previlage to school only and gets a job as well then i think you would just have to juggle both school and work.
gs-resume
When you do get a job, if that job requires you to be on call, keep these points in mind:

in Colorado:
Call Frequency and Consequences of Failure to Respond:
--If the employee must respond to every call or page during the on-call duty impeding the employee's ability to enjoy personal nonworking time, then Colorado's Department of Labor requires the employer to pay the employee for the entire period. If the employer provides the employee with flexibility and discretion in determining whether the employee has to take the call or the employee is only required to return a certain number of calls, then the employer does not have to reimburse the employee for the entire on call time. The employer only needs to pay the employee for the time spent returning calls.

Read more: Colorado Labor Laws on Carrying Pagers | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6909956_colorado-labor-laws-carrying-pagers.html#ixzz1ESRDjV8F

--There are 2 types of on-call as defined by DOL: "Waiting to be engaged" (non-compensable) and "engaged to be waiting" (compensable). Under "waiting to be engaged" you are basically free to do as you please until you receive a page (or a call). The waiting time is non-compensable but the actual call time is paid. Under "engaged to be waiting" you have strict limitations placed on your time for waiting. Often you are not permitted to leave the work premises in cases like these. In this example, the waiting time is compensable and so is the call time.

---The following are the federal on-call regulations effecting Non-Exempt employees. Carrying a cell phone or pager by itself is not compensible. The key phrase is "seriously curtail", which federal DOL has historically narrowly interrepted. I will also leave a webpointer to the major Exempt classification rules, none of which mention pagers.

- Employees who must be on-call on the employer's premises or close enough to seriously curtail their use of the time for their own purposes must be paid for the time spent on-call. But employees who merely have to leave word where they can be reached are not working while on call. (29 CFR 785.17).
- Employees must be paid for unproductive time if that time is spent for the employer's benefit (29 CFR 785.7).
- If an employee has been called back to work, you must also pay for his travel time because his time is no longer under his own control once he receives the call back to work. If he works from home, only the time actually spent working has to be paid for. (29 CFR 785.33-785.41).
- The regular hourly rate of pay of an employee is determined by dividing his total remuneration for employment . . . in any workweek by the total number of hours actually worked by him in that workweek for which such compensation was paid. On call pay causes the regular rate of pay to change. (29 CFR 778.109)

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/fairpay/main.htm
deanhills
I don't think I had a choice in the matter at the time when I was growing up. I was completely brainwashed into thinking that I need to be good at school, so that I could get good school grades, as that would give me a good chance of getting a great job.

I still thinking some of those basics are right, as Warren Buffett, the great investor agrees that education is power, the more educated we are the greater chance we have to get ahead of the game. But I'm not so sure whether we are really getting quality education at a school. Most of what Warren Buffett learned was through self education. So maybe there is a point in our schooling where we are taught to think with blinkers on. Brainwashed. And we are taught to go get a job in order to make a living. Whereas our talents could be much better applied to being self employed.
menino
Skoolz ar inpotant. Laughing

Well, a lot of people think that schools teach you a different way of learning than what you can learn yourselves, but not everyone has that capability, and they have to start somewhere, so schools teach the basic knowledge to help you out in the real world.

Not everyone is Warren Buffet, or Bill Gates, or other millionaires out there.
But I think schools and teachers should be able to hone your skills, rather than just brainwash you into learning the way everyone else learns, and just compete to get better grades.

In my opinion, if you can learn stuff a different way and apply them, then you need to... to get the same result, or even better results.

Schools are important, and when you realize what you need to do, and how to do it, then you can leave school and follow your dream or destiny. - its never too late.