FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why does everyone love Palin?

Stubru Freak
Could anyone explain to me why the American media and people seem to like Palin this much? I've read her speech on the Republican Convention and it was very mediocre, and full of outright lies.

Could anyone explain please?
liljp617
For one, nobody really knows anything about her yet. Two, the media doesn't love her...at least not the majority of the media. Three, she's the first woman in the Republican party to be a VP candidate (pretty sure). She comes across as a normal "soccer mom" which people can relate to. And she's a hardcore conservative, which means she has a supporting base no matter what.
jmi256
America is tired of her politicians. Obama has made it so far, not because he was the most qualified or most experienced or even the most talented. He represents something new and exciting. A departure from the "good old boys" club of the past. The platform of "change" has always worked well in American politics. But as the election draws closer and citizens take a clearer look at Obama and the state of the world, they realize that taking a chance on him is a bit reckless.
Then comes along Palin. She also represents something "new" and a "change," but with the added value of being the bottom of a ticket that has the experience and character a lot of Americans want/need deep down.
There is also a truth in that most Americans are conservative and like the values the GOP stands for, even if they don't like the GOP (or at least atest to not like the GOP in public). Individual rights (and responsiblities), smaller, less intrusive government, a hand up, not a hand out, etc. Of course they don't get it right 100% of the time ( I personally believe we should have attacked Afganistan and Iraq, but then left them to pick up the pieces. I also see a huge contradiction is supporting the rights of the unborn, but also supporting the death penalty). But overall I personally tend to feel my own morals and worldview are better aligned with the GOP.
ocalhoun
Stubru Freak wrote:
Could anyone explain to me why the American media and people seem to like Palin this much? I've read her speech on the Republican Convention and it was very mediocre, and full of outright lies.

Well, not everybody likes her. Another forum I participate in is full of people who hate her. (Many of whom, coincidentally, supported Obama in the first place anyway...)

Personally, I don't really care for her too much either... Maybe it is just because I don't care for soccer moms...

Anyway, the media has good reason to pay lots of attention, at least at first:
*A surprise choice (not considered likely to get the position before being picked)
*A unique choice (a woman)
*A controversial choice (little experience and extreme views)

Once the surprise wears off and they run out of things to talk about her politics, they'll cover it less.

I'm hoping that this choice was McCain's way of sticking with a reform strategy by picking someone who was definitely not an already corrupted insider, or perhaps he thinks he can influence her more easily than a more experienced VP.
Stubru Freak
I'm not American so I'm not sure how it's there, but in Belgium there is a lot of fuss about Palin, more than about Biden for example.
The newspapers say Americans love her, and I didn't understand it at all.

But ocalhoun's reasons make sense.
ainieas
We had a class about the American Presidential election the other week. Everyone argued whether Palin was out of the blue or if she was McCain's trump. Actually we debated quite a bit about all this keeping in mind her stands and all. But the one thing everyone agreed upon was thatshe's one hot mama!! Razz
ocalhoun
ainieas wrote:
But the one thing everyone agreed upon was thatshe's one hot mama!! Razz

Ah, the grand results of open political debate!
roxys_art
I'm not sure why everyone is going nuts about her. Sure she's good looking, but how is that going to help me? I don't get the fascination everyone has with her.

I really hope this doesn't help McCain get into office. He is not what this country needs. I hope Obama doesn't get into office either. He is not what this country needs. We don't need some politician to get into office. It's the same old crap every four years.
ocalhoun
roxys_art wrote:

I really hope this doesn't help McCain get into office. He is not what this country needs. I hope Obama doesn't get into office either. He is not what this country needs. We don't need some politician to get into office. It's the same old crap every four years.

Right, no politician! Let's elect a plumber this time.
quex
...I'm an American (and so is everyone in Canada, Mexico, the Central nations, and the South, so there's actually a push to start calling ourselves "Statsians," but I digress), and I'm not particularly fond of Sarah Palin. She seems kinda... immature. Notice how she's not allowed to talk to the press unless McCain is right next to her? Unsettling.

Also, the new go-for-broke-and-lie-until-you're-blue-in-the-face tactic that she's using (or that somebody has given her to use, I don't know) might work in the short term, but the longer the inaccuracies are out there, the more time people are going to have to learn that what she's saying is entirely false.

Lastly, does anybody else ever get that feeling when they look at a politician or a celebrity, without even knowing the person's name or what they're about, that you can kinda tell if they're stable or not? I really get this vibe off Palin like she's ready to snap. Like she's stressed out, and she's fighting to hide it for just a little longer... McCain doesn't do that to me, nor did any of the other Republican candidates (except maybe Mitt Romney, he just looked a little angry all the time), so I don't think it's some sort of ideological projection... Am I the only one?
AFriedman
I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin either--she is way, way too conservative for me--but some people are drawn to her unusual, compelling life story. The media scrutinizes every aspect of a politician's life and if their life is a good story that people want to read about, they will tend to sell more news and cover it more. As a result, Palin has more attention than, say, Joe Biden. People who can relate to aspects of her story, as well as people who share her conservative Christian views, see her in a favorable light.

The media did the same thing to Obama, when it covered all the exotic places he had lived in and his unusual cultural and educational background. Hawaii (where Obama is from) and Alaska (where Palin is from) are outside the lower 48 and are very exotic to most Americans. As a result, Obama and Palin received more media coverage than McCain and Biden. Americans also like candidates that evoke their history of being a frontier. Alaska is the last American frontier and Palin, who hunts moose and has an Eskimo husband who won a 2,000 mile dogsled race several times, certainly gives off the image of the frontier.
Einsiedler
McCain played a bad hand with Palin. Yes, he managed to rally his base, but he's paying the price of putting a divisive figure at the front of his campaign. She has already been exposed as someone who exaggerates, bends the truth, and if not outright lies about her accomplishments.

Now McCain's fate is tied to this figure. I don't believe she will survive, politically, until the election. Her numbers are already starting drop rapidly as more about her is revealed.
gandalfthegrey
1. Palin has the appearance of being more real
This is not to say that McCain, Obama or Bidan arent real.

Real meaning that they she is closer to the rest of us, in that we arent afraid to be human and make mistakes.

Whereas politicians always seem to be on alert and watchful of their appearance.

2. Palin has the appearance of being a Maverick
She has views and taken sides on policies against her own party while governor.

Former member of the Alaskan Independence Party.

3. Palin has the appearance of being one of us
If she can be vice-president, then my children can
When politicos attack her qualifications, people feel attacked themselves

Obama has this "one of us" feeling as well, to a limited degree; mainly towards visible minorities

4. Palin is hot
She is hot. Nerdy hot. Girl next door hot. MILF hot.
deanhills
She is beautiful in a neighbourly girl way, professional without being overstated. Has the appearance of being very open and sincere about her own life, passionate and warm, honest and straight. A real person! That is how it had started for her anyway. From the heart. There is something special for me in her, as well as her family. For now. Hope politics will not destroy it for her as it is most likely to have a heavy impact on her family.
liljp617
gandalfthegrey wrote:
1. Palin has the appearance of being more real
This is not to say that McCain, Obama or Bidan arent real.

Real meaning that they she is closer to the rest of us, in that we arent afraid to be human and make mistakes.

Whereas politicians always seem to be on alert and watchful of their appearance.

I don't see how she's more real than a person who grew up on food stamps and worked his way to the top.

Quote:
2. Palin has the appearance of being a Maverick
She has views and taken sides on policies against her own party while governor.

Former member of the Alaskan Independence Party.

I can't really comprehend this. The people/party that screwed up the country for 8 straight years beyond comprehension are the mavericks of the race?

Quote:
3. Palin has the appearance of being one of us
If she can be vice-president, then my children can
When politicos attack her qualifications, people feel attacked themselves

Obama has this "one of us" feeling as well, to a limited degree; mainly towards visible minorities

As did Bush. He got elected because people wanted to have a beer with him and have him at their barbecue. Didn't work out well.

Quote:
4. Palin is hot
She is hot. Nerdy hot. Girl next door hot. MILF hot.

So is Jessica Simpson....pretty sure nobody wants her as VP.
kerryworkman
I hate to say it but I think most of the men like her because of her physical "assets" and how much better she looks in a dress then Obama's running mate. Razz
Alaskacameradude
Ok, I can give an opinion on this.

I live in Alaska. Palin is our governor. Her husband is part Alaska Native, not Eskimo. He
has won several Iron Dog (snow machine) races that are about 2000 miles, NOT dog sled
races. Anyways, there are MANY misperceptions of Palin, but I can tell you what I KNOW
from covering politics up here.

1. She has conservative views, but can be surprisingly moderate. She pushed through a
bigger tax on the 'big oil' companies in Alaska. She opposes abortion on moral grounds
(and personally just had a baby although she knew it would have Downs syndrome) but
she refused to call a 'special session' on passing a bill restricting abortions despite calls from
the Republican led legislature here in Alaska. She didn't feel it was 'governments place.'
She doesn't support gay marriage, but seems to support health benefits for partners of gays.
In other words, she seems to draw a line between her personal views, and the actions
she takes as a governor. Don't know how this would play out nationally though....

2. She is just a normal mom. Just a few years ago she was running for PTA in a small
town in Alaska. That is one criticism of her, that she doesn't have the experience. She
has rapidly ascended in politics from PTA mom, to mayor of her town, to a position
on a oil and gas position (appointed by the governor) to governor of Alaska, to running
for VP in just a few years.

3. I personally don't think she comes across as always knowing the issues really well.
My opinion on this comes from running camera on many of the governors debates here in Alaska. She still won here, even though I'd say she lost the debates, because people just liked her
and she was someone people could relate their everyday lives too....she has the
same issues and struggles of many working moms with a job and 5 kids. That
worked in a state election, but I don't know how it will play nationally. I don't mean
to say she's stupid, and she has a decent grasp of issues, but definitely not like some,
she is more 'general' than 'specific' if you know what I mean....I think she will have
her work cut out for her debating Bidin. This is also why I would bet a TON of money that
McCain's people have her on a short leash with media interviews and such, they are trying
to cram a 'crash course' on the national issues with her.

I personally think she was kind of McCains response to Obama. Obama chose Biden for his
running mate, to give his ticket some 'experience'. Obama had the 'star power' but not the experience. McCain had the experience so he chose someone with 'star power'. That's the
way I look at it anyways.
deanhills
Alaskacameradude wrote:
Ok, I can give an opinion on this.

I live in Alaska. Palin is our governor. Her husband is part Alaska Native, not Eskimo. He
has won several Iron Dog (snow machine) races that are about 2000 miles, NOT dog sled
races. Anyways, there are MANY misperceptions of Palin, but I can tell you what I KNOW
from covering politics up here.

This is great info thanks Alaskacameradude. I especially liked your last comparison of cross-referencing her inexperience with that of Obama, and Biden's experience with McCain. I thought it was going to be a totally boring election, but it is beginning to look interesting. Think since Palin joined McCain's ticket, he has looked more energetic and interesting too. The one thriving on the other's experience and the other on the one's energy. Smile
ocalhoun
liljp617 wrote:

I don't see how she's more real than a person who grew up on food stamps and worked his way to the top.

I can't really comprehend this. The people/party that screwed up the country for 8 straight years beyond comprehension are the mavericks of the race?

Appearances are everything, and a lot of people could imagine having her as a next door neighbor.
This is about an individual being a maverick. How can either party, both long established, thoroughly corrupted, and used to power, be a maverick?

Alaskacameradude wrote:

she seems to draw a line between her personal views, and the actions
she takes as a governor

I was a little worried about Palin as a VP, but knowing this and that she used to be part of a third party gives me great confidence in her. People who draw that line are what we need a lot more of in politics.
liljp617
ocalhoun wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Appearances are everything, and a lot of people could imagine having her as a next door neighbor.
This is about an individual being a maverick. How can either party, both long established, thoroughly corrupted, and used to power, be a maverick?

Alaskacameradude wrote:

she seems to draw a line between her personal views, and the actions
she takes as a governor

I was a little worried about Palin as a VP, but knowing this and that she used to be part of a third party gives me great confidence in her. People who draw that line are what we need a lot more of in politics.

I'm not quite sure. But one candidate/pair is/are self-proclaiming mavericks when they're not even close to the term.
ocalhoun
liljp617 wrote:

I'm not quite sure. But one candidate/pair is/are self-proclaiming mavericks when they're not even close to the term.

Well, both McCain and Palin have been known to go against the party line when they have a reason to, and though I don't know about Palin, McCain was being praised for attacking the corrupt establishment well before there was any idea of him running for president.

The other issues are important, but if you get rid of the corruption, most of the solutions to these problems will fall into place on their own. Reforms will also be needed if the future of the country is to be anything other than bleak.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
if you get rid of the corruption, most of the solutions to these problems will fall into place on their own. Reforms will also be needed if the future of the country is to be anything other than bleak.

Agreed, but is the corruption limited to politicians and Government however? I was just wondering what McCain could do to stop corruption? More rules and regulations? Tougher penalties? Or is this a dilemma of society from bottom to top? Living beyond means, greed, not caring about the consequences? And again, this is not only limited to the United States. It is really everywhere in the world. Think for corruption to stop, will take a major overhaul of the establishment. We would have to move from "do not care" to "care". I wonder whether that would be possible in my life time? As presently this corruption seems to be on a wave with its own momentum. To give it to the President to change, well that has to be an enormous order. He may be able to put on some band-aid strips, but I think it is the core that we have to worry about. Teaching our children differently and setting examples that are different.
ThePolemistis
Stubru Freak wrote:

The Media likes young celebrity-like and inspirational figures.
Obama and palin both fit that category, and so are given a lot of airtime.

In my view, McCain and the other guy dont get enough attention as the above two, because the old, wrinkley men don't appeal to the media/Americans as much.
slashnburn99
Well Politics is dull and they lie

But for a politician she is pretty fit

So I think thats why she gets TV Time
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

I was just wondering what McCain could do to stop corruption?

One thing I'm excited about would be anonymous campaign contributions. Any campaign contributions would have to be anonymous, just like voting. That way, the relationship between politicians who receive large donations from corporations in exchange for doing favors would be strained. The politician could never be sure if the company really did donate or if it was some other company. You can't sell political favors anymore if you don't know if you've been paid or not.

Another interesting possibility is the 'none of the above' choice on the ballot. If the majority picked that option, the election would have to start over with new candidates.

Corruption will always exist, but at the moment is is systemic, and politicians can't really get the funding to be elected without accepting corporate donations, which puts them in debt to the corporations. They then send numerous lobbyists to congress to remind the politicians of their debts, and tell the politicians how the corporations would like to be paid back. Subsidizing? Tax breaks? Blind eye to practices that are or should be illegal? Less government regulation? Anything can be bought. Something has to be done, or the government will continue to serve the corporations rather than the public it claims to serve.
quex
deanhills wrote:
She is beautiful in a neighbourly girl way, professional without being overstated. Has the appearance of being very open and sincere about her own life, passionate and warm, honest and straight. A real person! That is how it had started for her anyway. From the heart. There is something special for me in her, as well as her family. For now. Hope politics will not destroy it for her as it is most likely to have a heavy impact on her family.

See, that's exactly the opposite from what I see. I think Palin is making herself and her family into the stereotype of "perfect" motherhood, for the sake of her political career. Her performance is too clean, too moulded... it smacks of cronyism. She's like some young actor with her first cameo on national television, so excited that she lapses into mentally "reading" her prepared lines to the audience, without the sincere connection of thought to word... have you noticed how closely her speeches match up, over and over? She says what she is told to say, and does whatever gets the most applause. Jokes, rhetoric, deferral to McCain. I haven't seen any substance from the woman yet!
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

One thing I'm excited about would be anonymous campaign contributions. Any campaign contributions would have to be anonymous, just like voting. That way, the relationship between politicians who receive large donations from corporations in exchange for doing favors would be strained. The politician could never be sure if the company really did donate or if it was some other company. You can't sell political favors anymore if you don't know if you've been paid or not.

Another interesting possibility is the 'none of the above' choice on the ballot. If the majority picked that option, the election would have to start over with new candidates.

Corruption will always exist, but at the moment is is systemic, and politicians can't really get the funding to be elected without accepting corporate donations, which puts them in debt to the corporations. They then send numerous lobbyists to congress to remind the politicians of their debts, and tell the politicians how the corporations would like to be paid back. Subsidizing? Tax breaks? Blind eye to practices that are or should be illegal? Less government regulation? Anything can be bought. Something has to be done, or the government will continue to serve the corporations rather than the public it claims to serve.

Thanks for this Ocalhoun. I did not know about this one, and for certain this sounds worth getting excited about. Wow, will that change a lot of things for sure! Voting legislation is going to be completely different. McCain is beginning to sound good to me.
deanhills
quex wrote:
deanhills wrote:

See, that's exactly the opposite from what I see. I think Palin is making herself and her family into the stereotype of "perfect" motherhood, for the sake of her political career. Her performance is too clean, too moulded... it smacks of cronyism. She's like some young actor with her first cameo on national television, so excited that she lapses into mentally "reading" her prepared lines to the audience, without the sincere connection of thought to word... have you noticed how closely her speeches match up, over and over? She says what she is told to say, and does whatever gets the most applause. Jokes, rhetoric, deferral to McCain. I haven't seen any substance from the woman yet!

I thought that her opening statement with family and all was precisely to make a clean breast of her scandals. Not to look perfect. I think if she and her family were that perfect as suggested, it would have had the exact opposite effect. She sounds like someone of the people (to me anyway), who has lived and struggled her life to its fullest, the American way.
mathiaus
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Thanks for this Ocalhoun. I did not know about this one, and for certain this sounds worth getting excited about. Wow, will that change a lot of things for sure! Voting legislation is going to be completely different. McCain is beginning to sound good to me.

I tend not to reply to these sort of topics because I get easily wound up and start ranting....but this has got me really wound up!

This is not a good thing, it is bad! The claim that favours could not be guaranteed and payments unconfirmed is frankly just rubbish! Not only can 'deals' still be done, but with donations being anonymous, there will be no public scrutiny. Surely that can only mean bigger deals and more of them!

What's baffling me though, is how a proposal like that can sound good to anyone? Brick wall

On the topic at hand though, I'm not sure how the media are taking Palin in the USA, but in the UK we're not exactly excited Razz
Stubru Freak
deanhills wrote:
quex wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I thought that her opening statement with family and all was precisely to make a clean breast of her scandals. Not to look perfect. I think if she and her family were that perfect as suggested, it would have had the exact opposite effect. She sounds like someone of the people (to me anyway), who has lived and struggled her life to its fullest, the American way.

Well that's exactly what he means I think. She's the most typical American mother you can imagine. In that way she's perfect. If her family was actually "perfect", it would seem fake and wouldn't be politically perfect.

And if you want someone who really struggled his life the American way, vote Obama. He had nothing when he was a child, and climbed to the top completely on his own.
quex
Quote:
Well that's exactly what she means I think.

:D

Quote:
And if you want someone who really struggled his life the American way, vote Obama. He had nothing when he was a child, and climbed to the top completely on his own.

This this this. It's been entirely too long since we've had a president who came from the same place as the majority; NOT rich, NOT a political dynasty, NOT pure white, NOT a perfect, painted dollhouse world.
Stubru Freak
quex wrote:
Quote:
Well that's exactly what she means I think.

Very Happy

Oops sorry.
liljp617
Stubru Freak wrote:
deanhills wrote:
quex wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Well that's exactly what he means I think. She's the most typical American mother you can imagine. In that way she's perfect. If her family was actually "perfect", it would seem fake and wouldn't be politically perfect.

Razz It does always get me confused when people call Obama the elitist. The man who grew up on food stamps, partly in Indonesia, wasn't even really raised by his parents is the elitist. While the man with 13 houses and 12 cars (something like that) is the down-to-Earth, man with values, average American -.-