FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trip around the UK CHALLENGE

poppat
Hi

I live in the UK. I often use maps and see loads of places on them I haven't been to. I am going to be attempting a challenge that I have setup to visit every place on Ordinance Survey maps that exist in England, Scotland and Wales. Obviously, I am not doing this in one go because I have to work, but the idea is to start local and visit about 5000 places every year including villages, towns and cities. To count as a visit I have to be in the place for at least five minutes, out of the car, and take a photograph of myself in a recognisable part of the location. One day my efforts will be on a website so that people can keep a track on where I have been and where I am likely to go next. I am particularly interested in visiting all the castles.

I am using some locations that I have already been to in the last three or four years and have suitable photographs of as evidence. I am not trying to break any records, I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Any comments??

poppat
ThePolemistis
poppat wrote:
Hi

I live in the UK. I often use maps and see loads of places on them I haven't been to. I am going to be attempting a challenge that I have setup to visit every place on Ordinance Survey maps that exist in England, Scotland and Wales. Obviously, I am not doing this in one go because I have to work, but the idea is to start local and visit about 5000 places every year including villages, towns and cities. To count as a visit I have to be in the place for at least five minutes, out of the car, and take a photograph of myself in a recognisable part of the location. One day my efforts will be on a website so that people can keep a track on where I have been and where I am likely to go next. I am particularly interested in visiting all the castles.

I am using some locations that I have already been to in the last three or four years and have suitable photographs of as evidence. I am not trying to break any records, I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Any comments??

poppat

Contribute to the Open Street Map / project if u can. All you need is a GPS device that permits tracking (keeping tracklogs).
mathewhadley
Statistics show 34 million Chinese went to travel abroad last year, which made the country the largest outbound travel market in Asia. In the first half of this year, China's outbound travel still grew rapidly and increased by 14.04%.
-------------------------------
mathew

influencer
PennyLane
Wow, this sounds so cool!!! I live in Belgium and I've always wanted to do something like this. And you know what? After I read this, I'm sure I will do it. There are so many places around here I don't even know, and I think it would be so cool to know for myself I visited them all Smile
Thanks for the great idea!!
poppat
At least I have inspired one person. I hope your trip around Belgium goes well. Incidentally, I will probably expand my adventures to Europe but probably not to the same degree as in the UK. I would probably just visit the main places of interest.

By the way I have been to Oostend, Bruxelles & Brugges and I was very impressed by all of those places, especially the architecture. What a fantastic country Belgium is, but it gets a lot of bad press in other parts of the world.

poppat
houdney
That's a great idea, but the UK isn't a small place. Thousands of settlements, although they are all quite close. A lot of mileage, you'd probably go through 10 cars, and enough BP points to buy BP.

I would be curious about driving around Australia but it's pretty large and I can't be arsed, so it'll just be some casual vagabonding. Still, best of luck with yours and I hope the travelers spirit and effort doesn't wane with time.
poppat
I have looked at a few site recently about various places in my home county of Staffordshire in England and this just excites me even more. There are places of interest so close to my home town that I didn't even know existed. Some are relics and some are fairly new, but all will be investigated soon.

poppat
watersoul
Wow, what a really cool idea!!!
This will take such a long time though I reckon, everywhere marked on the OS maps for GB?!
I'm impressed and a little envious (in a nice way though) My little dream is to one day take half a year or so out and starting at the coast here in Torquay, turn left or right and kayak and camp my way around our Island until I get back to Torquay Smile I know it's a crazy one, but you've inspired me as I think your personal challenge is even bigger than mine - good luck in some of the little boroughs marked around some of our less inviting cities though, 5 minutes may well be long enough!!!
poppat
I know that there are many rough and dangerous areas in some cities. I have experience of those in Manchester, Cardiff and Birmingham. These sort of places may only involve a drive through and a photograph taken on the move, but that does cheat the challenge, so I guess I'll have to grit my teeth and work fast.

I haven't been to Torquay for about twenty odd years (when I was a wee child). The closest I came to it recently was when I went to Fort Polhawn in Cornwall (near Plymouth) for a wedding, which I know is a long way away, but it's closer than where I live and took quite a few hours to get there in my old jalopy.
poppat
Things are going slow at the moment owing to work commitments. I intend to have a website up and running of my exploits and then the people of the UK can look and see if I've visted their town or village yet.

poppat
lagoon
You need to read Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Small Island', which documents his trip around the UK staying in little guesthouses and the like... He really does visit many little places that you wouldn't know existed.
deanhills
poppat wrote:
Things are going slow at the moment owing to work commitments. I intend to have a website up and running of my exploits and then the people of the UK can look and see if I've visted their town or village yet.

poppat

Brilliant Poppat, one of these days we will be able to see you on TV! You will have plenty of sponsorships by then, a book in making, a new career! Sounds pretty awesome!
poppat
Sounds interesting but I am a humble introvert kind of a guy. I am mainly doing this for myself.

poppat
jabce85
pretty cool idea..... think i should try it for the US? =P
poppat
Just started my UK tour. I have some time off soon to continue it, but I haven't setup the website yet.

poppat