FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Musical Taste Defines Personality?

richard270384
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/4993949/musical-taste-defines-personality/

According to recent research, "personality links to liking for a wide range of musical styles."

In other words, the research suggests that your personality plays a major role in the music that you prefer to listen to.

Some conclusions from the research are:
    -Country and western fans were found to be hardworking and shy
    -Rap fans are outgoing
    -Indie lovers lack self-esteem and are not very gentle
    -Soul music lovers are creative, outgoing, gentle, at ease with themselves and have a high self-esteem
    -Those who listen to exciting, punchy music are more likely to be in a higher earning bracket
    -Those who listen to relaxing sounds tend to be lower down the pay scale
    -Jazz and classical music fans are creative with good self-esteem, although the former are much more outgoing whereas the latter are shy

I personally think that music choice affects personality, rather than personality influencing music choice. I do however agree with the personality traits that they have associated with different musical genres.

Do you agree with the personality traits that the researchers have associated with lovers of different kinds of music? Is the music affecting personality, or is it vice versa? What music do you like and how would you describe your personality?
Helios
I think that you choose your music according to your personality, but the music has some effects on your personality as well. This is probably one of the reasons why musical taste is a variable thing.
I guess that I cannot really disagree with the results of that research, but obviously there are people listening to some style of music, who have a totally different personality. Plus, there are people who listen to various styles of music - that's the majority of people, I assume, so what about them?
richard270384
I guess they havent really counted people like that in this research.

The first question they probably asked was something like "What type of music do you prefer to listen to most of them?" and then they assumed that was the person's favourite music.
JinTenshi
@Helios: Split personality occurs! Nah I'm just kidding.

I personally like all genres of music other than rap (Cause I don't consider it music) it has nothing to do with my personality though, I just love music the way it is, and different moods has different songs to accompany. I think it affects mood more than it shows your personality. =\ Who knows. Oh well.
Kunkstar7
I don't really agree with the traits they describe, but i think that personality definitely influences your choice of music. Yet there is no set in stone rules or guidelines that determine what music you will like, there are undoubtedly going to be people who defy most norms.
Libby
Backwards.

Personality define music taste.
Nutteloos
I tend to agree that music may influence personality somewhat, but the other way around sounds more logical. Whether or not you play an instrument yourself is also quite a deciding factor.
Flarkis
I have a couple of friends that listen to those genres listed above and some of them match the description given to the dot. Not all however. I do agree that music influences your personality, people that listen to songs that constantly degrade women (for example), would make the person more likely degrade women. That, and if someone is listening to sad music all the time, it will affect them and they are more likely to be mellow or depressed. But then again, people that already have certain traits (ie a depressed person or emo or w/e) would be drawn to sad depressing sounding music because they can relate to the music. Just my two cents Wink
deadswan
I personally don't think that there is a link, the only link to music is emotions lol
I mean I listen to all sorts of music depending on what mood I'm in, doesnt mean my personality changes to each genre I listen to Confused lol
thejam
It's kind of interesting, but it this doesn't really apply to me and a lot of other people.
I like music, almost/every genre. However it's the quality of the production what makes it whether i like it or not. I like hip hop, i hate 50 cent. It's just an example.
I worked, and still do, as a DJ. I think it's pretty difficult to catorize people and preferably music selection. Cause how are you going to measure a quality factor in music for instance? Most hits in the top40 have the most simple structures ever and are musical wise not impressive at all. However they do seem to be apealing to a lot of people..Same thing other way arround.
You can have the most complicated impressive structure, well executed piece of music, what is only appealing for a couple of people.
ddukki
Helios wrote:
I think that you choose your music according to your personality, but the music has some effects on your personality as well. This is probably one of the reasons why musical taste is a variable thing.

I guess that I cannot really disagree with the results of that research, but obviously there are people listening to some style of music, who have a totally different personality. Plus, there are people who listen to various styles of music - that's the majority of people, I assume, so what about them?
I agree, actually. Music is such a weird ... concept? When it comes to how sound affects the Human mind, you could say that Music influences personality, because some music soothes people and some tends to make them angry. In either case, music is the agent by which people form part of their individuality, but I don't think it necessarily changes or affects the person's personality..

Initially, the choice in music comes from that person's character. I don't know any uptight people who WANT to listen to rap music. I'm not a country music fan, but I will listen to it occasionally, and that says something about my personality, not because the music I choose makes me who I am, but because I'm choosing not to listen to that type of music.

However, after a while, people can get used to a type of music which subsequently influences their personality. I used to despise Screaming Hard Rock [n.b. People label it Screamo, but that's a term I refuse to accept as a legitimate music category]. Now, I like it, and when I listen to it, I get excited and riled up. A temporary feeling, but some people expound that feeling and get into the whole vibe, be it acting angry all the time, or wearing black clothes.

But ultimately, music tends to bring out inner characteristics [personality], more than changing them altogether.
catscratches
ddukki wrote:
Initially, the choice in music comes from that person's character. I don't know any uptight people who WANT to listen to rap music. I'm not a country music fan, but I will listen to it occasionally, and that says something about my personality, not because the music I choose makes me who I am, but because I'm choosing not to listen to that type of music.
I have to remind you that there's a huge difference between mainstream rap and other rap. Rap actually can have meaning. Surprised I'm not a fan of it but I know people who are uptight and listen to it occasionally.
Nutteloos
I agree that genre is way too superficial to be describing the music involved. Not all music from one genre will be uplifting, and not all music from another will be depressing.

A person's taste in music can give you some insight in that person's personality, but we must be aware not to fall into prejudices.
endless
I think your personality makes you listen to the music you listen, but I also think that if you listen to some music alot like jappy outgoing music you'll get happy and outgoing too =/
sondosia
I think what says more about your personality is how many different kinds of music you try and enjoy. A person who refuses to listen to anything but classical, to me, has the same personality flaw as someone who only listens to rap. It doesn't matter which genre is "better" or makes you calmer and gives you better grades.

The stuff you mentioned, though, is better than that traditional stuff I was talking about and makes more sense, so I don't doubt it as much.
_AVG_
What about Rock and Heavy Metal? What does that show about your personality?
warriorpoets
This sounds like a fat load of bollocks to me. Sorry, just calling it as I see it. Cool
nanunath
Even I read about htis in a newspaper..sounds funny...Music taste & Personality can never be related...as far as I think!
venometal
i think music is life. everyone chooses a character and pretends to be him in his life at least once. so in order to be the one that is selected, people need somethin to motivate em. the most helpful tool is music cuz it is everywhere n easy to get. if u wanna act like a punk, u listen to crazy bands. or if u decide to be a serious business man, u listen to classical music etc. thats why soundtrack thing exists. for instance in a movie, to express the feelings that the characters have more deeply, they put background songs. so the music becomes the soul of the moment, sometimes it becomes the soul of characters. so music is life .))

i listen to every kind of music but i love alternative rock n melodic death metal. am i insane Rolling Eyes
rapfan
"I personally like all genres of music other than rap (Cause I don't consider it music) it has nothing to do with my personality though"

To any of you who agree with that statement...... well nowadays you'd be right. But please dont steryotype all rap as garbage because of the crap it has now become today. Try listening to Nas, Lupe Fiasco, De La Soul, Binary Starr then see if you still view rap as not music.

Now to the personality thing. It's very interesting. I've always listened to rap but when i just kinda listened to it here and there and not really intensely i was shy and hid in my own little shell around people. But somehow after really getting into rap i'm now brave enough to approach people and try different things and have fun. I think this is because i listened to skillfull, uplifting, lyrical rap and not that ringtone sell out crap. Most people i know that like crappy ringtone rap are ignorant and call everyone haters if someone dissagrees with their music. There's different kinds of rap, rock, Jazz, classical, country and so on. So it's hard to pinpoint one genre and say this is why i'm outgoing or why i'm shy. I know a few freinds who love punk rock, they dress like them and like to randomly yell whenever they feel like it. I don't know if this is true for all Punk fans but that's what i've experienced.
profbis
I think the choice of your music is more a variable of mood rather than personality.
I listen to almost any kind of music. I listen to rap, but I am introverted. I listen to indie, but I have high self esteem. I listen to music pumps me up, but I do not make enough money. So, I would say your source was wrong.
roxys_art
It was already mentioned, but I definitely believe the personality decides what type of music you listen to and/or like. It's silly to think that the type of music shapes what type of personality you have.

Opinions vary though...
mattyj
Interesting article

But what about people with really eclectic taste in music?

Like me for instance

I listen to anything from really heavy metal (Cannibal Corpse, Sepultura & the like), to Punk (both new and old), to Ska and Jazz to Country and Western....

Only types of music i wont listen to a Techno Dance crap and Rap...

How would you define my personality ? LOL
mho320
A few centuries ago, some people would judge others by the shape of their head. This is obviously wrong and completely unscientific. Judging people's personalities by their music tastes is going in the same direction. Peoples' tastes can change and vary, for that matter. Don't believe the hype. Listen to what you like but don't listen to Leona Lewis - that's the only advice I can give in this context.
Mrs Lycos
Well i dont now i listen a bit of all , so my personality is very varied i think. Razz
ddukki
catscratches wrote:
ddukki wrote:
I have to remind you that there's a huge difference between mainstream rap and other rap. Rap actually can have meaning. Surprised I'm not a fan of it but I know people who are uptight and listen to it occasionally.
I agree. I listen to rap and hip-hop myself. I was just making the point that my personality "allows" me to listens to rap and be open to deep basses and such. There are people - I called them uptight because I couldn't find a better word at the time - that dislike loud noises, or get annoyed easily. That personality trait makes them adverse to genres like rap.
Kelcey
I think they might be correct if you take a huge sample of people. But it's far from definitive.
Lachrymose
Kelcey wrote:
I think they might be correct if you take a huge sample of people. But it's far from definitive.

I agree with this statement... I would like to see some type of statistic before claims such as these. Personally, none of the originally presented character/music matches proposed fits me.
shindig
richard270384 wrote:

In other words, the research suggests that your personality plays a major role in the music that you prefer to listen to.

The study suggests that personality defines music taste, not that music taste defines personality.

And if different music evoques different emotional responses, and different personalities are drawn to different emotions, then that makes sense.

True what you experience in listening to a genre of music, and being exposed to its associated culture/etc, would influence you as a person... however your personality would have already had to determine which genre you would explore. What culture you'd want to be associated with would also be determined by your personality, i.e.a soft God-loving young woman who likes to meditate to easy tunes on Sunday afternoons isn't going to want to go out and headbang with a bunch of chauvenistic metal heads in a smoke filled bar and get into the metal scene.

To say music taste determines personality would be to suggest that we all force ourselves to listen to a style of music until we like it, rather than choosing genres by which sounds we like. AKA you'd have to be pretty fake/shallow to have been mainly shaped by the music and not the other way around.
welshsteve
If musical taste defines personality then I have multiple personalities LOL
rockstar
I guess that its an interesting theory, but my guess is that certain music is more related to moods.

Even within a particular musical style, such as blues, certain track reflect specific moods.

John Lee Hookers rhythm driven music is a million miles from some of BB Kings more upbeat big band arrangements.