FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Butterflies, a lizard, and a rattlesnake.

ocalhoun
I went out on another trip this weekend, and here's what I found...

I'll start out with the little lizard. Very hard to get a picture of this one; it keeps running away:

Now for the butterflies:

Then, what should I see by the side of the road, but possibly the most dangerous animal in this forest:

I think it is an Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, but if anybody here knows snakes better than I do, feel free to correct my identification:

I was taking these photos with the maximum zoom (in the name of caution), which is why the quality is not the best. But when it suddenly started rattling its tail, I was glad that I was well out of striking range. After it took this posture, I decided to leave:
Ghost900
Nice photos of the butterflies, they look nice, the rattlesnake is really nice though.

I think you are right about it being a Eastern diamondback Rattlesnake as I searched it and photos of similar snakes showed up.

Great pictures! Very Happy
Kashinilaya
Are you my neighbour? We can find all these animals in my place, except for the colors, that difer from those in the pictures.
ocalhoun
^Well, Mississippi is a little far from Brazil, but they do have similar climates... Hot, humid and swampy... I can see how you'd have similar animals.
Kashinilaya
It's not really swampy here, but these animals adapt very easily to almost every environment. Our lizards are mostly dark brown or green (depending on if they are hiding in the grass or under dry leaves), which I believe is quite common, but have you ever seen a silver snake??? I like seeing pictures, but don't have the patience to wait for the right moment to take the perfect picture, so I lost the chance to register the silver animal (I didn't have a camera on me that day). Every now and then nature takes my breath away!