FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much did Microsoft pay Jerry Seinfeld??

standready
Answer: Ten million dollars! Yep, $10,000,000 to appear in their latest ad for poor old Vista. You can find the ad on youtube and your TV. Just goes to show Microsoft has more dollars than sense! A "has been" to pitch for a crap product. Microsoft is trying to baffle us with more B.S.! Congratulations Jerry!
friuser
Lol. I actually saw the commercial on tv. I was just so surprised cause it showed him in a shoe store and than it went nowhere... Either way it's hilarious cause vista been around for pretty long now and you get that weird commercial how people thought the new o/s is really vista.

I've used vista and it takes too much resources. My computer is stable at 1gb memory and at 3gb i don't use a cache for xp. For vista 3gb is just enough. I'm going to stick to xp cause I don't know if any of you have an windows 98 and it just flies at 128mb though it's prone to crashing way too much lol.
guissmo
I've kinda downgraded my Vista by removing all the flashy animations and stuff.
I guess that deducts the resources I'm using. It doesn't crash that much but I can't use the Power Saver option of my laptop since it goes terribly slow because of it.
Diablosblizz
I don't really see a point in the commercial. I'm also getting sick and tired of all these complaints about Vista. Yes, it uses (and optimizes) the amout of ram used. Of course with every new operating system you're going to expect more RAM required. With the new computers out now, everybody should be able to run Vista without any problems.
pashmina
Vista is a memory hog, had to remove it after a week of its installation. I am so much satisfied with xp now. I am ok with OSX too, but isn't always favorable for my day to day work.
driftingfe3s
Diablosblizz wrote:
I don't really see a point in the commercial. I'm also getting sick and tired of all these complaints about Vista. Yes, it uses (and optimizes) the amout of ram used. Of course with every new operating system you're going to expect more RAM required. With the new computers out now, everybody should be able to run Vista without any problems.

I totally agree with you. People keep complaining about Vista when they are running it on their old computers.

Anywho, I think it was a waste of money to make that commercial. They spent ten million dollars on that commercial and no one knows what the point of that commercial is.
DjMilez
My mothers laptop uses it and we've never had any problems with it.

I'd rather use XP however...
Helios
Please don't turn this thread into another Vista vs. XP thread, or we'll have to lock t.
brokenadvice
It's more like we (everyone who buys Microsoft products at least) paid Seinfeld the money to produce the adds. Seriously, these could have been really funny, and they are just weird. Bill gates shaking his behind has scarred me for life.
Magicman
I saw the commercial I can't believe Microsoft would spend $10M on that. Its not even a good ad for the product; its more of something made completely for entertainment value, and even with that its not exceedingly entertaining.
Diablosblizz
[quote=driftingfe3s]I totally agree with you. People keep complaining about Vista when they are running it on their old computers. [/quote]

Thank you. Smile I like the Mojave Experiment commercial, although I think they could have done it a bit better. The "non-actors" seemed like actors and it just didn't fit, but I think the commercial is still good.
PatTheGreat42
I think the Apple Ads are the best Microsoft Ads. Think to yourself: which one of those guys is actually funnier?
Aredon
pashmina wrote:
Vista is a memory hog, had to remove it after a week of its installation. I am so much satisfied with xp now. I am ok with OSX too, but isn't always favorable for my day to day work.
It isn't a memory hog, it just uses RAM differently by preloading the programs you use most into memory so you get faster launch times. It's not a "hog" it's actually much more efficient, but yes, if your computer is too old your complaints might be slightly justified. Besides, if you think vista is a memory hog try running XP after 3 years without a format. Razz
AftershockVibe
Surely it was a VERY effective advert if you are talking about it on the internet. How many advertisments can you say that about?

If you're anything to go by it was $10M well spent.
ankitdatashn
I am always a big fan of XP, i use XP professional, Vista is known for too much conflicts arising from too much security so my XP does fine when compatibility comes into picture. Hail XP hail!!
missdixy
Well, word on the street is that Microsoft is pulling those ads.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10081 Very Happy
loonix
AftershockVibe wrote:
Surely it was a VERY effective advert if you are talking about it on the internet. How many advertisments can you say that about?

If you're anything to go by it was $10M well spent.

How right you are =)

I can't help feel Miscrosoft should bin Vista and release a real OS that doesn't require 5 million GB ram etc...
coolclay
Wow thats crazy. I haven't seen it yet. I saw the vista new os ads. I also thought it was funny that they wait this long to advertise. I agree I like XP better then Vista, but then again the same thing happened before I had XP. I remember swearing that I would never get rid of win98 and especially not ever get XP so I am sure it's only a matter of time until Vista gets enough program and driver support to make it feasible to switch.
DoctorBeaver
Are those ads US only? I would imagine so as Seinfeld is not that big in the UK. I certainly have not seen any.

In fact, I don't remember seeing any Microsoft ads for a long time - probably since Vista was first launched - and even then there were not that many. All we get are computer stores advertising and saying "Comes with Microsoft Vista" etc.

Sometimes the actors involved even manage to look enthusiastic about it Laughing

In fact, the only adverts that I can think of that are not by the stores are those for IBM, Apple or Dell.
brokenadvice
DoctorBeaver wrote:

In fact, the only adverts that I can think of that are not by the stores are those for IBM, Apple or Dell.

There haven't been many Microsoft ads in the USA for a few years now; I think after vista was released, they need some positive PR.
airh3ad
who is this man? im sure he is billionare now ha!
RosenCruz
how famous is Seinfeld in America???i mean the show is over for years .....is he still that popular ?
tony
Diablosblizz wrote:

Eh; well I stick with Linux as it runs on the old computers too and is typically more efficient regardless.
erlendhg
That's really a lot of money.
...and actually I don't get the commercials. The message, the intention. Only thing I get is the humor.
Might be because I am Norwegian and don't understand everything, but can someone please tell me why Microsoft has made these commercials?
pashmina
actually i didn't get it and wasn't so interesting.
i find mac ads really interesting, cause they have some point to argue about
bonestorm74
Microsoft doesn't make such great choices with their advertising a lot of the time. They probably need to take a leaf out of Apple's book.
RosenCruz
their marketing department is not the best one...thats sure Laughing
erlendhg
So, at least I am not alone with not getting the commercials.
Then I agree, but I must say I am no big fan of Apple's marketing either. I shall admit that the mac vs pc ads are funny (indeed), but Apple's way of selling themselves makes me sick.
LostOverThere
missdixy wrote:

Hmm, I heard differently that they weren't pulling them, but always only wanted to run them for a short space of time.

Although I didn't really enjoy the commercial or find it amusing, I've got to say I thought it was effective though. I mean, look how much buzz there is around the internet over it. It's gotten us talking about it, and hey, that means free advertising for Microsoft. Smile
polly-gone
Well see, getting Jerry Seinfeld to do it is actually a great marketing tactic. Even if a message is not clear and doesn't appear effective to you, it has an underlying effect. Anyone who is under twenty has probably seen every episode of Seinfeld, so it is a great push to use Jerry Seinfeld to help advertise. Seinfeld did score huge in the Neilson ratings.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
erlendhg
LostOverThere wrote:
missdixy wrote:

Hmm, I heard differently that they weren't pulling them, but always only wanted to run them for a short space of time.

Although I didn't really enjoy the commercial or find it amusing, I've got to say I thought it was effective though. I mean, look how much buzz there is around the internet over it. It's gotten us talking about it, and hey, that means free advertising for Microsoft. Smile

Well, actually you're right. I never though of it that way before. It's like what they say: "All advertising is good advertising".

Maybe it's actually genious. Making a bit meaningless commercial to have everybody talk about it Razz