FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Administrating a wifi network

ainieas
If you are the administrator of your wifi network is it possible to know which user is running what software at any point in time? If yes, how can that be done.

Again is it possible to assign a limited amount of bandwidth to each user logged on??
psycosquirrel
All of what you said is possible, but can get complicated. Are said computers on the network behind a domain?

By bandwidth, do you mean transfer speed or transfer amount?

In order to monitor bandwidth, you might need to route traffic through a server that monitors all incoming / outgoing packets. It is possible, but difficult.

To monitor general, dynamic traffic via a basic wifi network is nearly impossible. You can generally log traffic through a logfile, but limiting it via a router may prove difficult. In addition, it may not be possible to monitor which user is doing what - only what computer is doing what.
Skye001
ainieas wrote:
If you are the administrator of your wifi network is it possible to know which user is running what software at any point in time? If yes, how can that be done.

Again is it possible to assign a limited amount of bandwidth to each user logged on??

for 1) I would look at what ports are open and match it that way.

for 2) look into QoS

Also I have a linksys WRT54G, I have changed the fw to Tomato and I can do all the above and more.
justtj
for wifi you can use following options:
1. Use a WEP Encryption for security and limiting the users.
2. Use a RADIUS server for limiting bandwidth for each user
3. Configure your wifi router {if u knw how to} and limit max speed for each connection..[/list]
Ghengis
I agree with Skye -- if you really want to shape your traffic, either run everything through a dedicated Linux box (as the "router") or get something that can run DD-WRT, which is an open-source router firmware replacement. It gives you a *lot* more control over your network than you'd see out of the box with something from D-Link or Linksys.

As for seeing what software people are using -- if you just mean what kind of network traffic they're generating, you don't even have to be a network "administrator"... just get good at using Ethereal. A tutorial is way beyond the scope of a forum post, but look into it... it's *really* powerful at letting you know what's going on with your network.
Craeft
DD-WRT has been a lifesaver here. Just make sure your router can take the flash or you'll fry the router. We use a Buffalo router as our main and then run a 300 foot CAT5E to a D-Link which we use as a switch. The reason for that is that we have computers here at the house, and then others down at our shop/brewhouse. With a total of ten computers on the property, the DD-WRT has been a lifesaver.
Ghengis
Heh, it's funny that there's a new post here today -- I just saw on hackaday that somebody turned one of these Linksys units into a remote-controlled robot. Let me see if I can find the link...

http://hackaday.com/2008/10/07/inexpensive-powerful-router-based-robot/

That's it. Uses a lot of household parts to build a rolling little bot. You don't always think about it, but really there's a little computer inside each one of those off-the-shelf routers. Neat!
gh0stface
justtj wrote:
for wifi you can use following options:
1. Use a WEP Encryption for security and limiting the users.
2. Use a RADIUS server for limiting bandwidth for each user
3. Configure your wifi router {if u knw how to} and limit max speed for each connection..[/list]

WEP encryption is weak. Although the average Joe doesn't know how to crack/hack the password so it is to use. So it is ok for that.

If you are gung ho on security use WPA or if you want to extreme security WPA2.
chipbricks
About first, I can only guess about software. About speed, wifi - this is only transport. In setting you can set speed rate , but this is not good for usage. All shaping and traffic limit usually done on router. Also sometimes wifi AP can be used as router to.
Craeft
Ghengis wrote:
Heh, it's funny that there's a new post here today -- I just saw on hackaday that somebody turned one of these Linksys units into a remote-controlled robot. Let me see if I can find the link...

http://hackaday.com/2008/10/07/inexpensive-powerful-router-based-robot/

That's it. Uses a lot of household parts to build a rolling little bot. You don't always think about it, but really there's a little computer inside each one of those off-the-shelf routers. Neat!

hehe... That's not how we deliver packets!!!

.oO( Now I have to make one )
Ghengis
It'd be funny to measure the "bandwidth" of the router robot -- tie a couple SDHC cards or a TB hard drive to it, and see how fast you can move your data. Probably beats 802.11b, anyway
Craeft
Ghengis wrote:
It'd be funny to measure the "bandwidth" of the router robot -- tie a couple SDHC cards or a TB hard drive to it, and see how fast you can move your data. Probably beats 802.11b, anyway

I honestly suddenly have the urge to make a comedy video. Kinda like MAC vs. PC, but Linksys (robot) vs. D-Link b.
albuferque
You can monitor every sort of traffic with Wireshark. However it'll depend on which chipset your promiscuous card will have. I think you can assure driver loadind with some kind of SLAX(Auditing) Linux.
Ghengis
@Al: It was a joke. Sort of like "never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway." I was kidding about how slow the B-wireless standard was.
WarhammerLeagues
"If you are the administrator of your wifi network is it possible to know which user is running what software at any point in time? If yes, how can that be done.

"
Yes depending on many things. to view software running acrost the network you can use any one of many network sniffers. If you want to know what is on their local system you would need some controll over that computer. Software can be installed that tracks that data and reports is back to a central server on the network. As far as bandwidth.... Well that depends on many things and can be done in several ways. some high end wifi units can do that for you. You just need to set up each each account using their mac address and set up the data in the router. These units can also keep people out of sites you do not want them going to. If you are not using a fancy router then you would need a smare firewall that can do that work for you. All of it can be done but there are so many options that it is hard to go over with little data.