FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great free photo editor

crabfish
Try Picasa by Google. It is very much like Photoshop and has a great red-eye removal tool.

Of course , it is also free!

You can get it here...

http://picasa.google.com/
ato784
It is called Brush

you can find it here

http://pabird.supanet.com/

here is the description

"Popular free image editing software. Brush Strokes is a free graphics editor with many of the features of a professional product. You can edit images fom a variety of formats (GIF, JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, PCX, BMP, TARGA, AVI); create images for websites; create and view GIF animations; adjust colours in photos; apply filters, rotations and transformations; use magic wand selections; use any picture as a brush or fill pattern; blur images; sharpen images; use frames from videos; capture frames from video cameras... and much more. You can download the free version and have a go yourself. It is very easy to use and lots of fun."
ato784
another one is gimp

gimp.org is the website

About GIMP:
Quote:
Introduction to GIMP
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.

GIMP is written and developed under X11 on UNIX platforms. But basically the same code also runs on MS Windows and Mac OS X.

Features and Capabilities
This is only a very quickly thrown together list of GIMP features. You can also have a look at the illustrated features overview.

Painting
Full suite of painting tools including Brush, Pencil, Airbrush, Clone, etc.
Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high quality anti-aliasing
Extremely powerful gradient editor and blend tool
Supports custom brushes and patterns
System
Tile based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
Virtually unlimited number of images open at one time
Advanced Manipulation
Full alpha channel support
Layers and channels
Multiple Undo/Redo (limited only by diskspace)
Editable text layers
Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
Selection tools including rectangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy
Foreground extraction tool
Advanced path tool doing bezier and polygonal selections.
Transformable paths, transformable selections.
Quickmask to paint a selection.
Extensible
A Procedural Database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs as in Script-fu
Advanced scripting capabilities (Scheme, Python, Perl)
Plug-ins which allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
Over 100 plug-ins already available
Animation
Load and save animations in a convenient frame-as-layer format
MNG support
Frame Navigator (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)
Onion Skin (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)
Bluebox (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)
File Handling
File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
Load, display, convert, save to many file formats
SVG path import/export
Much, much more!

Edited by a Moderator. Please don't forget to use quote tags!
ato784
It is called tint

Tint is a photo editor for colour-select effects. It automatically clusters the colours of a photo into groups, and allows each colour to be switched on or off to create the desired effect.

you can get it here

http://www.indii.org/software/tint
realtrue
Faststone is small, free photo editor and you can use it for viewer. The website address is:
www.faststone.org
This is overview from fastone:
FastStone Image Viewer 3.5 Freeware (Last Update: 2008-01-15)

An image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA. It has a nice array of features such as image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, color adjustments, musical slideshow and much more.

For profesional use and free, you can use GIMP that can be use for several operating system, especially Linux. This software is very reach features, but I do not use it many time.
logic123
use the photoshop trial version
nisibdv
Nothing better than gimp, and picasa google dont compare with that.
ocalhoun
nisibdv wrote:
Nothing better than gimp, and picasa google dont compare with that.

It might easily win out in the ease of use category for those who are somehow incapable of figuring out new interfaces though. And surely it is better than MSpaint, which is the only other thing that users like that would have.
tsuvik
Gimp is the best. It can be called as the free alternative of the hugely popular Photoshop
bernardnapoleon
GIMP period!
wicke
Gimp. It's compatible with both Linux and Windows and will be installed with Ubuntu.
Kelvin
Heard of Gimp but haven't tried using it yet. Currently I use Paint.NET

Below a descpirtion of what Paint.NET is all about:

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.

It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such as Adobe® Photoshop®, Corel® Paint Shop Pro®, Microsoft Photo Editor, and The GIMP.

You can get a copy of it at : http://www.getpaint.net/
cyberbuddy
yes its good but its takes to much time
froy357
Watch out for the coming CS4.
Agent ME
Well in a topic about free image editors, I think Photoshop is at the complete other end of the spectrum considering its price Razz
mshafiq
Once I was able to keep MS photo editor on my usb and its runs everywhere.
It was for win98.
Then some day I lost it.

I was a cool application to crop, to change brightness, contrast etc.

I loved it.

Now I have winXP but do not have ms photo editor too.

I do not know if can get it (older or newer)!!!
mshafiq
See Photoscape V3.1 as portaqble applic too

at here ie at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1339

which states;
"
Photoscape V3.1
Suggested by trpplayer79
Posted on 1st June 2008 - 18MB (uncompressed) - Popularity score (2225)
Website - Screenshot - Download - Comments (9) - Post comment - Permalink

Category: Graphics - Editors (14)

Synopsis: Photoscape is an all-in-one photo editing software that lets you fix and enhance your photos. It includes numerous tools, including a viewer, editor (cropping, resizing, effects etc.), batch renamer, RAW formater converter, animated GIF maker, collage generator etc.

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the installer and extract to a folder of your choice. Delete $PLUGINSDIR, $TEMP and [NSIS].nsi. Launch PhotoScape.exe.

Stealth: Yes

Unicode support: No

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista
"
mshafiq
See PhotoFiltre at Here ie at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=12

as some times we need more than one programs which suits to different needs.
(this may be good choice when we need to change brightness etc.)

Anyhow, site states

"

PhotoFiltre V6.3.1
Suggested by Andrew Lee
Posted on 14th January 2008 - 4MB (uncompressed) - Popularity score (3510)
Website - Screenshot - Download - Comments (11) - Post comment - Permalink

Synopsis: PhotoFiltre is a complete image editing/retouching program. It allows you to perform both simple and advanced adjustments to an image, as well as apply a vast range of effects and filters.

How to extract: Download the installer and extract to a folder of your choice. Move everything from $_OUTDIR to the main folder. Then delete $_OUTDIR, $PLUGINSDIR and [NSIS].nsi. Launch PhotoFiltre.exe.

You may also wish to download the extra plugins, selections, masks and patterns from the application website and unzip them directly into the program folder.

License: Free for non-commerical use

System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista

"
moh853
First: you could use Linux and all the free image editing softwares it has. Second: use Picasa from google.
mshafiq
I found very very interesting software

small and easy to use and handles big pictures.

It is Image Analyzer and can be found at http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/

Here are the features

* Automatic brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation adjustment
* Build-in conventional and adaptive filters for noise reduction, edge extraction etc.
* Retouch tools
* Retinex filter for reducing shadows and increasing local contrast
* Deconvolution for out-of-focus and motion blur compensation (see below)
* Easy red-eye removal
* User specified filters in spatial and frequency domain
* Resize, rotate, crop and warping of images
* Scanner, camera and printer support
* File format support:
Read/write BMP, ICO, CUR, WMF, EMF, PNG, MNG, GIF, PCX, JPEG and JPEG 2000 images
Read RAS, PNM, PGM, PPM, HIPS and Matlab files
* Morphological operations
* Color model conversion: RGB, CMY, HSI, Lab, YCbCr, YIQ and PCA
* Distance, Fourier and discrete cosine transformation
* Math expression module for creating and transforming images and advanced "pocket" calculator with equation solver
* Plugin system for adding more specialized features. See below for available plugins
[Ref: http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/]

-- Regards
ato784
Art weaver - this is my most recent favorite art tool. it is very customizible, which helps alot.

http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

Artweaver Features

Support of many different digital brushes e.g. chalk, charcoal, pencils...
A wide variety of adjustment settings to customize the default brushes or to create new brushes.
Standard image editing tools like gradient, crop, fill and selection tools.
Support for the most common file formats like AWD (Artweaver), BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, TGA, TIFF, PNG, and PSD.
Transparency and Layers support.
Effect filters like sharpen, blur, emboss and mosaic.
Editable text layers.
Pen Tablet support for a realistic feeling.
History function to und/redo last editing steps.
Expandable by Plug-In modules (Artweaver Standard).
Support for many languages through language files.

System Requirements

Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Pentium compatible processor, 600 MHz or greater (1000 MHz recommended).
128 MB RAM (256 MB recommended).
30 MB of available hard disk space.
800*600 pixels or greater monitor resolution (1024*768 pixels recommended).
15-bit color display (24-bit recommended).
A Pen Tablet is recommended.
r4inm4ker
gimp is indeed a very good program. I used it frequently for texturing purpose. It has a lot of good filters, and free alternative plugins are also available on the net.
jmraker
For automated photo editing I like to use ImageMagick
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Quote:

The functionality of ImageMagick is typically utilized from the command line or you can use the features from programs written in your favorite programming language. Choose from these interfaces: G2F (Ada), MagickCore (C), MagickWand (C), ChMagick (Ch), ImageMagickObject (COM+), Magick++ (C++), JMagick (Java), L-Magick (Lisp), NMagick (Neko/haXe), MagickNet (.NET), PascalMagick (Pascal), PerlMagick (Perl), MagickWand for PHP (PHP), IMagick (PHP), PythonMagick (Python), RMagick (Ruby), or TclMagick (Tcl/TK). With a language interface, use ImageMagick to modify or create images dynamically and automagically.

Here are just a few examples of what ImageMagick can do:
* Format conversion: convert an image from one format to another (e.g. PNG to JPEG)
* Transform: resize, rotate, crop, flip or trim an image
* Transparency: render portions of an image invisible
* Draw: add shapes or text to an image
* Decorate: add a border or frame to an image
* Special effects: blur, sharpen, threshold, or tint an image
* Animation: create a GIF animation sequence from a group of images
* Text & comments: insert descriptive or artistic text in an image
* Image identification: describe the format and properties of an image
* Composite: overlap one image over another
* Montage: juxtapose image thumbnails on an image canvas
* Motion picture support: read and write the common image formats used in digital film work
* Image calculator: apply a mathematical expression to an image or image channels
* High dynamic-range images: accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from the brightest direct sunlight to the deepest darkest shadows
* Encipher or decipher an image: convert ordinary images into unintelligible gibberish and back again
* Virtual pixel support: convenient access to pixels outside the image region
* Large image support: read, process, or write mega- and giga-pixel image sizes
* Threads of execution support: ImageMagick is thread safe and most internal algorithms are OpenMP-enabled to take advantage of speed-ups offered by the dual and quad-core processor technologies
MeddlingMonk
I've used the GIMP and Paint.NET for a while now. I would probably prefer Paint.NET out of the two (especially the layout), although the GIMP does have its advantages.
mshafiq
I used ImageMagick and found 'not good, not bad'

Here are pros and cos

Pros:
it looks operations are lossless
it is free

Cons:
it is not portable
it has very limited no of operations

Anyway, I'll remember it when I need to transform the pictures.

-- Regards
ingelady
Is it easy to downlaod to Windows vista?
I am just learning and would love to have all these programs.
is there a way for easier download in Vista?
ingelady
Will try Picasa and will let you know.
Thank yoy or the info. i am right now working with illustrator and photoshop (just learning)
mshafiq
No doubt Portable-Artweaver impressed me.

It is lighter than GIMP still gives facility of layers.

I have added it in my portable collection.

Thanks for sharing,

-- Regards
deanhills
tsuvik wrote:
Gimp is the best. It can be called as the free alternative of the hugely popular Photoshop

Well perhaps the light version of Photoshop, but yes, even the full version of Photoshop can be triumphed by Gimp. Gimp also comes with loads of tutorials and explanations of what to do in simple English. The software is super easy to download, almost as though there are a team of people there who are making things as easy as possible for you and helping you virtually along every step of the way. There is something special about Gimp from its software writers, where you feel kind'a special, whereas Photoshop is pretty commercial, VERY expensive, feels like exploitation, and like Microsoft Office and Explorer, if I can find an alternative, I will embrace it in every way!

For downloads refer to:

http://gimp.org/downloads/#mirrors
welshsteve
Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net) is pretty decent, although I'm not big on photo editing so not sure how powerful it is in that respect.
albuferque
Almara is intended mainly for quick and easy digital photos manipulation. Optimized for minimal amount of keypresses. Planned features include working with groups of pictures, undo/redo, Motion JPEG support.

http://linux.wareseeker.com/Multimedia/almara-0.9.0.zip/322470
rohan
i think photoshop is very good photo editor
it contain very large range of tools which is helpful for user
hummer010
Irfanview is a great photo viewer with a few editing tools. Rotation, cropping, bit depth changes and a few filters.

I have CS2, but for anything that Irfanview can do, it is much faster than CS2. I used to use gimp before I got CS2, and while it is powerful, and very full featured, it isn't terribly intuitive. If you've used nothing else, maybe gimp will be fine. If you've ever used photoshop at all, you'll probably struggle with the gimp interface.
khanzin
Try these one here!

Portable Gimp
http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/portableapps/GIMP_Portable_2.6.4.paf.exe

Portable Photoshop CS3

http://w14.easy-share.com/5674321.html

These two are free to download and use, and dont need crack or serial.

And you dont need to install these!

Laughing
Zaimati
Thanks Very Happy
mshafiq
A good link

I will try Portable Photoshop CS3 too.

I have heard alot about it and have never used it.

Anyway, thanks...
aningbo
crabfish wrote:
Try Picasa by Google. It is very much like Photoshop and has a great red-eye removal tool.

Of course , it is also free!

You can get it here...

http://picasa.google.com/

very much like photoshop??? are you kidding me? picasa is so basic. there's nothing in it. except resize, crop and some basic functions.
snowynight
picasa is an amazing software in that it can recognize the faces.
ayman988
thank for all Very Happy Very Happy
aningbo
just get yourself a copy of photoshop and try it out. nothing's better than photoshop. anything and everything can be done with that software.
weableandbob
I currently use Paint Shop Pro 8 (my sister bought it years ago, but I still love it). There's version 9 now, but 8 is still great (paint shop is considered the poor man's photoshop-it's much cheaper, but still has great tools). I've tried gimp and I like Paint Shop a lot more (Although it technically isn't free).
Chinmoy
i guess picasa is the best for you.
Da Rossa
This doesn't have all the stuff available, but its free, light, quick and intutive: IrFanView.
download here.
lethaltriad
for what it does and for free you really cant beat GIMP. I havent tried out any of the others apart from picasso but gimp seems to be top notch
mshafiq
PicPick is really amazing graphics tool.

You may use it to take screen shots too

It comes with all basic pic editing tools too (brightness/contrast etc).

here is its url: http://picpick.wiziple.net/

they say
Quote:
PicPick is an all-in-one software for software developers, graphic designers and home user.

It has an intuitive interface and simple, elegant operation. After starting the software, you simply select one of the tool from the PicPick Tools trayicon menu when you want.
It features a powerful capture tool, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and etc. You can use all these tools freely.......
awazdohamko2004
I like irfan view ... it so light and simple with so many editing options .... rather it also have media files play back support
mshafiq
Subject: Cropping all the pictures at same time

Anybody has an idea regarding cropping all the pictures at same time.
There can be many but I mean which gives the ultimate ease and control. It must be free and I would appreciate if it would be portable as well.

Application:
Sometimes we scan our college/university notes to save it on hard drive rather to keep hard copy for ever and scanned images contain black ends from right and left and would become toner eater if say printer later. Using that kind of software will eliminate that issue by cropping black extra portion.

-- Thanks and Best Regards
jackill
BTW. I found something like Photoshop, working insade of a web browser: http://www.pixlr.com/app/

That's amazing, what that flash app can do!
Jean-Clod
woow jackill, that's exactly what I was going to post, before I read what you wrote Evil or Very Mad
Well, then, I approve jackill, pixlr is just great, I tried gimp but it's not very performant; and default MS Paint is not at all..
babarus
Speaking about free photo editors i think that picasa is a great image editor and also brush. i used both some year ago but now i am warking in a company who wave photoshop licence.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I use picasa to view photo gallery ... i think is all i need.
jackill
Gimp is also usable, but somewhere it's interface makes you mad Very Happy Rumours said that new build will be awailable with Photoshop-like interface Smile If it will be more like PS with new buidl it will be great. I'm using Gimpa at work, but hate it Very Happy
Jamestf347
another one is gimp

gimp.org is the website

About GIMP:
Introduction to GIMP
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.

GIMP is written and developed under X11 on UNIX platforms. But basically the same code also runs on MS Windows and Mac OS X.

Features and Capabilities
This is only a very quickly thrown together list of GIMP features. You can also have a look at the illustrated features overview.

Painting
Full suite of painting tools including Brush, Pencil, Airbrush, Clone, etc.
Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high quality anti-aliasing
Extremely powerful gradient editor and blend tool
Supports custom brushes and patterns
System
Tile based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
Virtually unlimited number of images open at one time
Advanced Manipulation
Full alpha channel support
Layers and channels
Multiple Undo/Redo (limited only by diskspace)
Editable text layers
Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
Selection tools including rectangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy
Foreground extraction tool
Advanced path tool doing bezier and polygonal selections.
Transformable paths, transformable selections.
Quickmask to paint a selection.
Extensible
A Procedural Database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs as in Script-fu
Advanced scripting capabilities (Scheme, Python, Perl)
Plug-ins which allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
Over 100 plug-ins already available
Animation
Load and save animations in a convenient frame-as-layer format
MNG support
Frame Navigator (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)
Onion Skin (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)
Bluebox (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)
File Handling
File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
Load, display, convert, save to many file formats
SVG path import/export
Much, much more!

Edited by a Moderator. Please don't forget to use quote tags!

Gimp, is amazing, it has so many features it's basically a poor mans photoshop
jackill
This "poor's man PS" will have PS-like interface soon Smile
angfrayle
mshafiq wrote:
See PhotoFiltre at Here ie at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=12

as some times we need more than one programs which suits to different needs.
(this may be good choice when we need to change brightness etc.)

Anyhow, site states

"

PhotoFiltre V6.3.1
Suggested by Andrew Lee
Posted on 14th January 2008 - 4MB (uncompressed) - Popularity score (3510)
Website - Screenshot - Download - Comments (11) - Post comment - Permalink

Synopsis: PhotoFiltre is a complete image editing/retouching program. It allows you to perform both simple and advanced adjustments to an image, as well as apply a vast range of effects and filters.

How to extract: Download the installer and extract to a folder of your choice. Move everything from $_OUTDIR to the main folder. Then delete $_OUTDIR, $PLUGINSDIR and [NSIS].nsi. Launch PhotoFiltre.exe.

You may also wish to download the extra plugins, selections, masks and patterns from the application website and unzip them directly into the program folder.

License: Free for non-commerical use

System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista

"

PHotofiltre is useful. I use it quite a lot.
slashnburn99
Cheers saw this on the Gadget Show in the UK
collage123
If you are in trouble with a bundle of photos and wanna get them into together, there is a idea - DIY a photo collage
With premade collage layouts , you just drag & drop your photo into blank area and your many different photos will be assembled into an artistic compilation.
sourojit
Yes paint.net is very powerful and easy too use it has got all necessary and basic filters. It supports layer addition also which is good for creating detailed images. Other software that i have used is GIMP, It is is also good and can be more helpful than paint.net. But thing is i found it to be bit complex than paint.net.
msphoto
I found this forum because my search string to Google was: photo editing online with extraction. What an interesting find. Gimp looks as if it is in the lead. Gimp was previously recommended to me. I downloaded it but did not use it much--it was a little complicated for me. However, I think I will give it another try. There are several other recommendations I will also try.

I think it would be great fun to see examples of your work with these programs. Showing before and after photo editing.

I appreciate that the editor is very hands on with reminders to use quote when copying and pasting product descriptions.

I did notice one peculiarity--It was obvious that some posters were not reading the thread before posting.

Thank you,
MS Photos
1 of 5