FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Google's new browser "Chrome" worth a try?

I'am curious and I will try Google's new Browser
Yes, I will install it and try it
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
No, I will continue to use my favorite browser
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
No, but I will maybe use it in the future
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 30

goutha
Google's new web browser is now available to download and install.

It's a minimalist-sophisticated browser and everyone is talking about it on the web.

Faster than Firefox and Internet Explorer... Do you think that it's worth a try?
Genesiz
Google Chrome really is great..... just don't try it right now. Its only in beta, so there are a lot of glitches and things that need improving. When these are sorted however, I would thoroughly recommend it to everyone here at Frihost.

To anyone who has GC - a glitch that keeps reoccurring is that when i try to write a reply for a forum such as Frihost, when i change or correct my mistakes, the letters write themselves over each other or disappear all together. Do you get this too or is it just me?
James007
Topic moved to the Software section.
Bengt
I will try it. Because this is not some little company, it's google launching a serious project that could have a big influence on the internet and browing etc.

( but i am in doubt if the mac build is out already ? )
Sphaerenkern
I tried it at school, so I didn't have to care about EULA and data storing.
It is minimalist and fast, the bookmarks are a bit weird. The rendering engine - WebKit - is great, it was a good choice for them to choose it (I use the nightlies).
What I don't like is:
They said they looked on Firefox and Safari. They have the tabs on top and use quickdial, but claim in their comic that it was their idea and it was just some logical thing.
Nothing to do with Opera. Sure.
And they sure use your private data for something - it's google, they need this kind of data. And the EULA says / said they can use the content you enter there. I don't have an english source, just read it on the german heise.de site.
I'd say, keep your hands off it.

Bengt wrote:

( but i am in doubt if the mac build is out already ? )

It's not.
hummer010
I won't use it until they change the terms of service on it:

Google TOS wrote:
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services.

Google TOS wrote:
Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you.

I've been an Opera user for a long, long time. I don't see myself switching anytime soon, especially not with that in the EULA.
goutha
Yeah, there's a privacy problem in their agreement.

Personnaly, I'll wait at least for the next version. It's too minimalist for me and I'm too used to my Firefox Adds-on.
James007
Quote:
Google Fixes Chrome's End User Terms Of Service

As of Wednesday, Chrome's Terms of Service were revised to simply state that Chrome users retain all rights to content viewed or posted using the browser.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210500008&subSection=Enterprise+Applications
malcolmpreen
Just downloaded it for a play on the work machine, and accepting that it is a beta version I'm actually quite impressed....

I'm an Opera user out of choice.... but I often switch to Firefox if something has problems with Opera. I've even tried Safari for Windows as well as Google Chrome. Basically, anything except Internet Exploder!!!

Google Chrome appears to be significantly different but initially at least I'm interested....

Malcolm
Idoru
Genesiz wrote:

To anyone who has GC - a glitch that keeps reoccurring is that when i try to write a reply for a forum such as Frihost, when i change or correct my mistakes, the letters write themselves over each other or disappear all together. Do you get this too or is it just me?

Yup, I'm getting that. Tried it for a day now, but I must say that I'm impressed by how fast it works. Don't have
quite the power in this computer as I'd like to have, so I experience it slow. With chrome (used without to
many tabs) it's notable faster.
The glitch though, occurs when I just change the row. A bit annoying, but still, it's minor and will go away with
the beta. Also, I've tried to find the spell-check's off-button, but can't seem to find it. Anyone?

Finally, I recommend to try it. Though, it have some BETA-glitches, it's still fun to see something else than Firefox
challenging on this arena.
Genesiz
Ahh the spellcheck. First time i saw this i thought, wow this will be useful. How wrong a person can be. It went from being great, to being okay, to be a friggin nuisance. There's no off button, no way to add words to the dictionary and is possibly the worst spellcheck I've ever used. If you write 'i' instead of 'I', the dropdown menu doesn't have I as a selection. How stupid is that. In any other circumstance, this would be the first result on the list. And rather than subtly highlighting the words you have misspelled, it glares at you ominously as if to say 'hey, idiot, you spelt this word wrong'.

@Idoru - i've had a quick look and i cannot seem to find any way of turning the SC off. If you do happen to find a way, tell me immediately before i explode from the frustration Brick wall
guissmo
It saves space too. 79,000K Memory for Firefox but 24,000K Memory for Chrome.
FTW!
Diablosblizz
Guissmo, are you using Plugins for Firefox? They can also add a lot of RAM usage to Firefox. Google's browser is nice, I like the layout of it. Nothing to complicated either. Best part of it though is the logo. Doesn't it look like a PokeBall?

http://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/res/chrome/images/chrome-205_noshadow.png

Genesiz; it's a beta browser. It's going to take some time for Google to get a good browser. It took Mozilla a while as well.
Genesiz
Diablosblizz wrote:
Genesiz; it's a beta browser. It's going to take some time for Google to get a good browser. It took Mozilla a while as well.

I know, i know, it;s just that everything else is really good, i mean really good, and then there are just these little things which just really annoy me.

But, alas, i shall have to wait.
erlendhg
I have been trying Google Chrome. I must say it is fancy, especially that you can drag tabs out of the window to make it another window, and drag it back again.

However, I don't get Java to work with Chrome, so I'll stick with Firefox until Chrome comes as an RC. Then I might concider it (well, not instead of Firefox, of course).
Shewolf
I was about to run off and download it, but it seems as the beta is just for Windows. So, then I'll wait. And probably soon forget everything about google making a browser... Laughing
loyal
Peace.

Obviously google being google, chrome will have some nice new features that are flashy.
And i'll give it a try sometime in the future.
But where is google going with this? Is it eventually going to compete with FF and Opera? Or is simply a simplistic alternative browser?
Google is powerful, but i have no idea if it would be able to compete with FF and Opera. Maybe it would, i don't know.

What do you guys think?
bulek
I tried it today and I think Google made great job again. It's working much faster than Mozzila Firefox, maybe due to much less functions. However, it's only in version 0.3 beta, so someday it might concurrent to other popular browsers.
[FuN]goku
I downloaded it the other day, and in fact, i'm using it right now. It's awesome. It's like IE that collided with Firefox imo. I don't like the fact that it creates a process for each tab but oh well. I do like that it can import stuff from firefox. I like the theme for it and it has some nice animation features as well (try dragging the tab across)
Also try dragging a tab out of the window, it has a nice thumbnail of the site while you're dragging it.

Meh. overall i like it. It has 'alot' for firefox's feats, but i dont think i'll switch permanently.
Idoru
erlendhg wrote:
I have been trying Google Chrome. I must say it is fancy, especially that you can drag tabs out of the window to make it another window, and drag it back again.

Nice one! Didn't know that. Thx!

@loyal
I think google wish to continue to grow. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually aims at an OS as well.

And @ the spell check... have been reading up and down at their page without any luck, and find it very
funny that the dictionary doesn't contain the word - google
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Another flaw is the incognito-mode. Nice explanation at the home-page, that it can be good if one is planning
birthdays... doh! It's absolutely what it's going to be used for... NOT!
Anyhow, one is entitled to privacy, but there is a problem with this. It should be optional, or enable/disable by
family-settings. We, as parents, do sometimes wish to violate privacy in favor of teaching right from wrong to an
eight-year old. Find it better to give responsibillity and let him make his own mistakes, but we do wish to guide
him along the way.
Sphaerenkern
erlendhg wrote:

What an incredibly NEW feature, just like the Tabs on top and the QuickDial-Style. Very Happy
dmystic
i think i just stay at IE7, because its no extra software to install, and, even more, it starts faster then firefox, and just everything i wanna do works with IE7 and not with firefox, opera, and probably also Google Chrome
nivinjoy
yes of course Google Chrome is really a good browser..I liked it a lot...!! Though its simple I liked it a lot...!!
swizzy
yes Google Chrome, is perfect, sleek, slick and much more cooler than any other browser out there... but still i dont know why, i feel like sticking on to Firefox...
saratdear
I just downloaded it today, and from what I see, it is very minimalistic. Quite a nice, sleek look. I am not sure whether I like the look of the tabs on the top, but I suppose I will get used to it. One thing I miss is the 'File', 'Edit'...that menu.

I really like the effect they show when you try to drag a tab out of the window. Smile
Pantherus
Looks good although not sure on Chrome vs Firefox

Might be a big contender in the browser market
logic123
The theme and look is great but unfortunately it is not customizable with addons unlike firefox and ie.
SlideR.nl
Theme looks great and it's a little bit faster then FireFox. But still i prefer FireFox. Because there are still quite large bugs in Chrome and it's still in beta. When it's still in beta I'll stick to FireFox.
LostOverThere
loyal wrote:
But where is google going with this? Is it eventually going to compete with FF and Opera? Or is simply a simplistic alternative browser?
Google is powerful, but i have no idea if it would be able to compete with FF and Opera. Maybe it would, i don't know.

Google doesn't want to compete with Firefox at all. Remember 85% of Mozilla's profits from 2007/2008 come from Google, and Google just re-signed a deal with Mozilla which lasts until 2011 from memory.

Google want to use this to promote their online services. Look at Chrome, its main feature is the exceptional speed it renders JavaScript using the sexy V8 engine. This is all good news for Javascript stuff like, you guessed it, Google's office suite and all Google's other apps. They want other browsers (except FF) to feel threatened, but more so, they want other browsers to incorporate the V8 rendering. If every browser used V8 rendering, it would only make Google's office suite seem more attractive to people, and in the end. That's all Google will want. Smile

My 2 cents.
dickyzin
Using Chrome now. The speed is noticeable fast. Does anyone find it a bit buggy? Even as I type this, the text get's covered if you try to type something between any typed letters. It looks like the new text is over-riding the text on its right side. But when you place the cursor back at the end of the paragraph or line, it fixes itself. Weird and annoying for me. It makes it seem like I've got Insert turned on my keyboard. Hope this bug will be fixed and will not be a 'feature' of chrome.
ProfessorY91
Yes, the type-over glitch is annoying. Additionally, when I went to actually post something... It didn't post properly, and I couldn't view my post in the thread. (As in, all I saw was a blank post by me). This inevitably led to me double posting, which led to me getting scared, which led to frustration, which led to swearing, which led to going back to Opera. Temporarily. Give Chrome a chance.
psycosquirrel
No, but I will maybe use it in the future

I want to wait for it to be out of beta. There are too many issues with it, and I don't want to get caught up on the bad end of a security vulnerability.
surdy
I would surely give it a try sometime in future. But right now i'm pretty happy with firefox ,also i have become used to firefox and its addons which i would miss there.

Also i'm waiting for initial glitches to be removed at its quite new ...i'm sure there would be some.

But being a google product I guess it should turn outto be good.
tsuvik
Google Chrome is awesome. But it is advisable to use it once it comes out of beta since it has a lot of glitches and bugs right now.
jofi
its good but (BETA) i like more FireFox Confused
GavinJaynes
Chrome is another step in Google's world domination scheme. But like most things from Google it's pretty damn awesome and well built. Check out the link below if you want to subscribe to my conspiracy theory about Google taking over...

http://www.broom.org/epic/ols-master.html

Oh and it's well worth the download, but has some bugs, but it is still beta so they are to be expected.
dickyzin
It's quite hard to install plugins into Google Chrome. Anyone have a quick and easy way to install plugins?
loyal
GavinJaynes wrote:
Chrome is another step in Google's world domination scheme. But like most things from Google it's pretty damn awesome and well built. Check out the link below if you want to subscribe to my conspiracy theory about Google taking over...

World domination lol? lol
According to google, chrome is only intended for minimal browsing...it probably won't ever have plugins...but then again, google could easily change their stated intentions
dickyzin
I think they might allow plug-ins later on. Are there any updates for chrome now?
seba3977
Google crome is a very good internet browser when it comes down 2 relighability, simplicity and
speed. however its funtions are quite limited at this period of time in its release. i think it is still in
beta. but its still a useable browser..................
xaogo
this browser is fast, much much faster than firefox with javascript. it's interface is very simple yet very functional at the same time, while still being very very nice looking. i think google did a wonderful job with the browser. however, there are plenty of security issues most people don't know about, one being that it records everything you do, every website you visit. all this information is sent to google servers. I suspect it will be used to target ads to you and should be harmless. But if you have sensitive information and don't want google to record it, i suggest you stay with firefox.

there are reports of chrome caching and saving even banking websites. and site that have no-cache headers.
rockacola
Google Chrome is definitely worth using. Not only it looks slik, it's the lowest CPU usage browser since each tab is consider as a seperate application instead of a thread, so memory occupation will continuosly increate like Firefox and IE. Chrome also has advanced security features that I know nothing about, since I'm still a Firefox user.

Check out Google Chrome Comic if you haven't see it already: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Reason I'm still FF user, is because Google Chrome is not (yet) a development browser, Add-ons in my FF is essential for development.
froginabox
I would HIGHLY suggest trying it out. I enjoy the clean look and the smooth animations. I also like the way the file downloads are handled (UI wise). It does render pages much faster than Firefox 3.x and IE7.

I use it on my office machine (Windows XP). I'd use it on my laptop, but I'm still waiting for them to release a Mac version!