FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

orkut virus?

bukaida
Whenever I am trying to type the url www.orkut.com in my IE address bar, a strange laughter is coming from background and a messege is coming that the site is blocked. Is it a virus? My KAV didnot detect anything(having latest update). Also the antispyware spybot search & destroy didnot detect anything(having latest update).How to get rid of it?
FunDa
Yup, it a virus.

"Muhaha orkut is banned you dope" virus

This page will help you remove the virus :
http://www.fundazone.com/2007/06/how-to-remove-use-internet-explorer-you-dope-i-dnt-hate-mozilla-but-use-ier-or-else-svchostexe-heap41a-virus/

Or this page
http://www.fundazone.com/2007/06/how-to-remove-use-internet-explorer-you-dope-i-dnt-hate-mozilla-but-use-ier-or-else-svchostexe-heap41a-virus/
bukaida
Thank you FunDa. But I realy astonished that neither KIS 2009 nor spybot could detect the problem.
That means it can again re-appear in future.Any permanent future proof solution?
FunDa
It spreads through USB devices as a file called MicrosoftPowerPoint.exe

It might make your hidden files invisible too.

But this particular virus will not reappear if you have deleted its files completely. It leaves a registry setting to let it know it has infected that computer earlier and doesn't infect again.

So once the heap41a folder is emptied, it would not infect again.
bulek
Which antivirus do you use? Strange that it didn't pick up this virus.
FunDa
There ar so many viruses now that even after updating daily, some viruses are not detected in AVG, Avast, or even Kaspersky and NOD32

Now, I always check the pen drives manually by opening it from the top drop-down menu (address bar),
Then I make sure all hidden files are visible and delete autorun.inf if its there and the viruses like MicrosoftPowerpoint.exe, New Folder.exe, sscvihost.exe, regsvr.exe, ssvichosst.exe, soundmix.exe, n1detect.com, ntdeiect.com, uxdeiect.com, VirusRemoval.vbs, DATA user.exe, PFW.pif and so on.

There are also viruses which go into each folder and use the same name as the folder it is in.

Confused We need some new method of stopping these viruses
aningbo
what you need is an update... the virus resides in c: drive and also blocks youtube!

there's a background file that runs in the startup and stopping the file would temporarily relieve you of the virus. anyways hope u got it working.
bukaida
Yah finaly I got rid of that virus.It made my system and hidden files permanently hidden before being destroyed but I could restore them from my registry(editing folder option DWORD to 1).I am using Kaspersky Internet security 2009 which updates 2-3 times daily.Hope it will not attack again.
ticktacktoe
Nod32 is a pretty good anti-virus, over and above all the others mentioned in the post above.
I'be been using it for a few months now, and have been virtually virus-free.
Apart from me, all my friends use perpetually virus-infected computers, so whenever a flash drive comes to me from any of them, it is bound to be filled to the brim with more viruses than data (jk, but it's still true to an extent), but Nod32, even when it's not updated, catches all of them the minute the flash drive is inserted, and gets rid of them all.
You might want to give it a try.