FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The World At War TV Series

wellerchap
I just acquired this dvd boxset of the tv documentary series from 1973.
There are 11 discs in it, covering 36 x 1 hour long episodes. The series was first aired in the UK in 1973 & is narrated throughout by Laurence Olivier.
I'm absolutely hooked on it now, each disc continues the story, more or less in chronological order & the great thing about it is, as it was compiled only 25 years or so after the war, there are some really high-ranking contributors in the interviews & testimonials....people that were not only there, but instrumental in forming strategies & battle-plans etc.
If you're at all interested in the history of WW2, this is a must-see thing!

Bikerman
It is indeed an excellent series (I'm old enough to have watched it the first time around Sad )
wellerchap
One thing that struck me last night, while watching a couple of episodes, was that the one constant throughout is that no matter where in the world the fighting is taking place, there are scenes of grieving civilians, and a Japanese woman crying seems pretty much like a British woman crying & so on & so on.
With one or two exceptions, we're all pretty much the same the world over.
poppat
I recently purchased this boxset. It is indeed moving and very thorough in its detail. There seems to be footage in it that I've never seen anywhere else.

poppat
wellerchap
I'm 11 episodes in now...it's a pity I don't have more spare time in a day to see them.
My friend suggested that 2 episodes were filmed originally but never shown, due to their graphic content....one covering the death camps, not sure about the other.
I haven't looked to see if these are included in the set though.
How much did the boxset cost you, Poppat?