You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I don't know much about Newton the old scientists from past

I want some to explain to me about all his theories and what kind of formula he came up with in his scientific study. Also, can some one please explain to me about his life like when he died? When did he became famous? What kind of formula did he come up with about the laws of nature.
Sir Isaac Newton, FRS (pronounced /ˈnjuːtən/; 4 January 1643 – 31 March 1727 [OS: 25 December 1642 – 20 March 1726]) was an English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, alchemist and theologian. His Philosophić Naturalis Principia Mathematica, published in 1687, is considered to be the most influential book in the history of science. In this work, Newton described universal gravitation and the three laws of motion, laying the groundwork for classical mechanics, which dominated the scientific view of the physical universe for the next three centuries and is the basis for modern engineering. Newton showed that the motions of objects on Earth and of celestial bodies are governed by the same set of natural laws by demonstrating the consistency between Kepler's laws of planetary motion and his theory of gravitation, thus removing the last doubts about heliocentrism and advancing the scientific revolution.

In mechanics, Newton enunciated the principles of conservation of momentum and angular momentum. In optics, he invented the reflecting telescope and developed a theory of colour based on the observation that a prism decomposes white light into a visible spectrum. He also formulated an empirical law of cooling and studied the speed of sound.

In mathematics, Newton shares the credit with Gottfried Leibniz for the development of the differential and integral calculus. He also demonstrated the generalised binomial theorem, developed the so-called "Newton's method" for approximating the zeroes of a function, and contributed to the study of power series.

Newton was also highly religious (though unorthodox), producing more work on Biblical hermeneutics than the natural science he is remembered for today.

In a 2005 poll of the Royal Society asking who had the greater effect on the history of science, Newton was deemed much more influential than Albert Einstein.

Source -
[MOD - quote tags and source added - Bikerman]
i can tell you a bit more bout his life,
he was a very average boy, not that smart at a young age, he grew up mostly on a farm ( that belonged to his uncle) after his father died. But he soon found out the farming life wasn't meant for him, he kept doing reading books when he was supposed to work or try out stuff ( like when it was very windy, he jumped up and measured how far he would fly and calculating the velocity of the air using that )
The reason why he became that smart is because some guy bullied him and he told himself from that point on he would become the best or at least try it.

After his life on the farm he went to the city, where he stayed with a pharmacist ( who owned a lot of books ) Isaac really loved living there and here is where he made most of his theories or at least the foundations.

He lived his life in a sad way, he was most of the time alone, he only felt love once for the daughter of the pharmacist but when she turned him down, he never found love again...
Newton is generally given credit for calculus, although Leibenitz should not be forgotten for his huge contributions. He also came up with his famous three laws of physics.

As for an equation... well he did mostly invent calculus, which can be used to derive many of the equations that you use in physics. Calculus can be used for force, pressure, work, etc.

For example, if I take acceleration and integrate it, it becomes velocity. If I integrate it again you get what's known as the position function.

acceleration (which is a constant... let's use acceleration due to gravity which is approximately 9.8 m/s/s)
- integrate
9.8x + c
- x is time (in seconds), and c is a constant of integration (which is actually initial velocity)
final_velocity = 9.8*time + initial_velocity
- integrate it again to get the position function
position = 4.9*time^2 + initial_velocity*time + c
- C is a constant of integration and represents initial height
position = 4.9*time^2 + initial_velocity*time + initial_height

There's some basic (very basic) physics equations there based off all calculus.
to expand a bit on Poetsunited, Newton was born and resided at Woolsthorpe Manor (at that time a farmstead). When he became of suitable age, he went to live in an apothecary in Grantham, Lincolnshire (notable as the birthplace of Margaret Thatcher), where he lived so that he could attend the local boys school (now The King's School). At his time there he was average at best and was bullied. So the School story goes, one day when a bully attacked him he retaliated, and overcame the bully, and declared that he "had beaten the boy in body, and now intends to beat him in mind". After the school he attended Cambridge, and spent some time at his home in Woolsthorpe, where one day he gained inspiration for his work on gravity - laying under an apple tree in his garden (a descendent of which is on the same spot today), he saw an apple drop from the tree and land near hom (the more populist version proclaims it fell on his head). The rest as we say, is history. He didn't come back to the Manor for long periods, and after his early years at Cambridge, the longest he spent there was during the plague, simply to avoid it for as long as possible.

Coming from Grantham, and having attended Newton's school adds some colour and in some ways glamour to him. Even though it was no longer part of the curriculum, Newton's Laws were required learning there, and we revelled in the history - the school library is the original school building that Newton was taught in, and one of the stone windowsills bears his signature, which he carved while at the school. In my seven years at the school, the one and only time I decided to look at his mark was the very last day I attended there. It was somewhat moving. Sorry, remeniscing a bit, but hey.
All you need to know about Newton.

A: He liked sitting under trees
B: One day an apple fell upon his head
C: Eureka moment
D: Discovered gravity.

That pretty much covers it.
A rather simplistic view, but aside from the slight inaccuracy (it fell near him, not on his bonce), that pretty much sums up one of his greatest discoveries. But there was also the bending of light and the spectrum, and some other important stuff to.
wow that's sad that newton lived a lonely life... a man that came up with gravity never been in love.
{name here}
truespeed wrote:
All you need to know about Newton.

A: He liked sitting under trees
B: One day an apple fell upon his head
C: Eureka moment
D: Discovered gravity.

That pretty much covers it.

Except that the apple story seems to be more factoid than fact. Newton did give an anecdote that he watched an apple fall from a tree which led to him asking "Why?", but the "fall on the head" part was added a little later.

A fun little Newton story, which to me shows how much of an awesome geek he really ways. He used John Wallis' method of calculating the digits of pi to find 15 digits. He later said "I am ashamed to tell you to how many figures I carried these computations, having no other business at the time."
Actually I saw a program on PBS about Neton's life, he grew up on a farm like the previous post said and seemed to be pretty average intellegence but as he grew his interests and intellegence did to.

He did discover the equations that described gravity, and he did discover or derive calculus, thing that was funny about calculus was that he had come up with it and used it in his scientific work for years before he ever published the Pricipa Mathimatica which stunned the world. He was a recluse, and it was discovered after his death that he had spent years in seclusion at Cambridge studying alchemy which was forbidden at the time by law. He also being a recluse could not stand criticism and became despondent and felt those that criticized his work were too stupid to know the truth of what he had done (which was pretty much true). His 3 laws of mechanics are still a mainstay in engineering and physics to this day as well as calculus, his work on light and so many other areas. One of the wierd things I found was that he wrote volumes and volumes of information so many books it forms a library of its own. Incredible amount of material. It would probably take a life time just to read it, let alone do the research and write all of it. All his volumes are kept in the museum in Jeruselem, which I thought was odd, why not Cambridge where he held the same position for years that Steven Hawkins now holds.

The one thing that I also think is the coolest of all about Newton was his telescope. The design that he developed the one with the mirror the one that every telescope in every store and observatory uses to this day, is also the same design that was deployed in the hubble, and remains to this day the standard in our tool to view the heavens!

And last but not least, he didn't live a lonely life, at first he was a recluse, but in his mid thirties he had by all accounts a nervous breakdown and then suddenly came out of his shell, became a member of parliment, headed up the fraud investigation devision of the government, prosecuted many serious abuses, was knighted (thus the Sir Isaac Newton) and married a younger woman.

Pretty interesting character, if you ever get the chance to see the special I would recommend it, too bad I can't remember the name of it.