FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Metallica - Death Magnetic (2008)

riki
Metallica - Death Magnetic (2008)

Track
    1. "That Was Just Your Life" – 7:08
    2. "The End of the Line" – 7:52
    3. "Broken, Beat & Scarred" – 6:25
    4. "The Day That Never Comes" – 7:56
    5. "All Nightmare Long" – 7:57
    6. "Cyanide" – 6:39
    7. "The Unforgiven III" – 7:46
    8. "The Judas Kiss" – 8:00
    9. "Suicide & Redemption" – 9:57
    10. "My Apocalypse" – 5:01

Code:

description:
In the Eighties, thrash metal wasn't a scene, it was an arms race: riffs kept speeding up, drum kits got bigger. But with 1991's Black Album, Metallica opted for unilateral disarmament, slowing their tempos, shortening their songs and smelting their chugging guitars and piston-powered drums into armor-plated pop hooks. After that, the band rushed from one reinvention to another, starting with the Southern-rock infusion of 1996's Load and culminating in the muddled, bizarrely produced group-therapy session of 2003's St. Anger. No longer: Death Magnetic is the musical equivalent of Russia's invasion of Georgia — a sudden act of aggression from a sleeping giant.

Just as U2 re-embraced their essential U2-ness post-Pop, this album is Metallica becoming Metallica again — specifically, the epic, speed-obsessed version from the band's template-setting trilogy of mid-Eighties albums: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and, especially, the progged-out ...And Justice for All. That much is clear from the 90-second mark of Death Magnetic's first track, "That Was Just Your Life," where the band unleashes a barrage of James Hetfield's dutta-duh-duhnt riffing and Lars Ulrich's octuple-time double-bass-and-snare smashing. That long-vanished sound, as essential to Metallica as variations on the "Start Me Up" riff are to the Stones, is all over the album —you wonder how these fortysomething dudes are going to handle playing it live night after night. (Enter chiropractor.)

Death Magnetic marks the group's split with producer Bob Rock, who helmed every Metallica album from 1991 to 2004 and pushed them toward concision and immediacy — until St. Anger, when he seemed to throw up his hands altogether. (As the 2004 documentary Some Kind of Monster demonstrates, Rock deserved credit for getting any music at all out of a band determined to self-destruct.) New producer Rick Rubin shoves Metallica in the opposite direction: Half of Death Magnetic's tracks are over seven minutes long, with song structures that are not so much "verse/chorus/verse" as "long intro/heavy jam/verse/even heavier jam/chorus/bridge/wild solo/outro."

This feels like the right move for an era where Guitar Hero is the new rock radio. (Appropriately, the full album will be downloadable for GH play.) And it's not as if Top 40 stations were going to slip in Metallica between Chris Brown and the Jonas Brothers, anyway. These songs rarely feel too long: At their best, they combine the melodic smarts of Metallica's mature work with the fully armed-and-operational battle power of their early days. "The End of the Line" is a freight-train rocker with a ricocheting riff and lyrics about a doomed, drug-addicted star. It builds to a frantic guitar duel between Kirk Hammett and Hetfield, a wah-wah-crazed solo and, finally, a bridge that feels like an entirely new song. And the spectacular "All Nightmare Long" — a thematic sequel of sorts to "Enter Sandman" — combines relentless Master of Puppets guitars with a Black Album-worthy chorus.

St. Anger was a misguided attempt to recapture the band's mojo by sounding "raw" — but Death Magnetic manages to sound huge, polished and tough. The musicianship feels thrillingly live throughout, and nimble new bassist Robert Trujillo helps, even though he's mostly heard as a distant, ominous rumble. (Has there ever been a more bass-averse band in rock?)

There's supposed to be a lyrical theme here — something about death — but it's hard to discern. After expanding his lyrical palette on previous albums, Hetfield is now so determined to re-metallize that he pushes toward self-parody: "Venom of a life insane/Bites into your fragile vein," he barks on "The Judas Kiss." The "One"-style half-ballad, half-thrasher "The Day That Never Comes" appears to be yet another tale from Hetfield's rough childhood, complete with the awful pun "son shine."

But if you ignore the lyrics, Death Magnetic sounds more like it's about coming back to life. Everything comes together on the fan-favorite-to-be "Broken, Beat and Scarred," which manages to channel the full force of Metallica behind a positive message: "What don't kill ya make ya more strong," Hetfield sings, with enough power to make the cliché feel fresh. The aphorism he paraphrases happens to come from Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols, which is subtitled How to Philosophize With a Hammer. Metallica's philosophizing may get shaky — but long may that hammer strike.

offcial site:
Code:
http://www.metallica.com/
David_Pardy
Spam0rz...

This sort of post isn't what the administrators have in mind for constructive contributions!
Futumuch
Ive heard mixed reports of this album, is it any good? I didnt like St Anger and Im hoping this one isnt going to be similar.
Rosanova
Hi there,

It isn't like St Anger, but more a mix between Kill'em All, Master Of Puppets and the Black Album. But my opinion the most boring sh*t that I've ever heard, they should had used a couple of month more to make it real and perfect.

As said many times before, has Metallica's days been counted and they should go find out some other work to do.

Sad but true!

Cheers!
Nutteloos
I haven't had the time to give the album a thorough listen, but so far it's at least better than St. Anger. Not that that is such an amazing feat, but still...
RosenCruz
much more than St.Anger..not a JoA or MoP....but a nice thrash album...lyrics and music is nice...metallica is back this time...!
warriorpoets
I don't hate it. It's definitely metal, and not whatever that crap they made from Load to St. Anger was called... Yeah, they didn't raise Cliff Burton from the dead, it's not their best--but it's definitely good old fashioned metal. I like it. I don't expect them to pound out another Master of Puppets, but they seem to be back on track. It's better than the Black Album (I'd rate that a C) anyways.

My rating: B-
Nutteloos
I can't say I like it more than most of their albums, but maybe I wasn't that much into Trash Metal to begin with... but it certainly looks like they've done a much better job at going back to their roots than whatever St. Anger was.
Futumuch
I just got it yesterday. It sounds ok - better than St Anger but not as good as the old stuff. Maybe its a grower? I will persist with it and see how it goes. It strange how so many bands seem to do thier best stuff when they first start out.
Helios
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

It isn't like St Anger, but more a mix between Kill'em All, Master Of Puppets and the Black Album. But my opinion the most boring sh*t that I've ever heard, they should had used a couple of month more to make it real and perfect.

As said many times before, has Metallica's days been counted and they should go find out some other work to do.

Sad but true!

Cheers!

Totally agree.

I heard this album, and few songs even more than once, and it was totally boring. As I said somewhere before, they were rolling downhill right from the start, starting as a mediocre band and became famous only because they started making "more popular" music (black album at those times, if I remember right). Correct me if I'm wrong on the facts, but I still don't like the album.
ibay
All of the songs are in the same tone. I hate this album. I used to love their earlier songs. I think its time for them to retire for good.
venometal
i like the album. its not like the ones before of course. the day that never comes is my favourite song for now .)
bjwok
the first single, the day that never comes is an absolute disgrace. what on earth happened to this band?? to think they once wrote stuff like harvester of sorrow!!
liljp617
Like I've said many times, the only people who will be upset with this album are A) The people who wouldn't like anything Metallica did B) The people who CANNOT accept the fact that they'll never come close to another MoP or Ride The Lightning.

Lower the expectations, they've been going for 25 years. They'll never be the 19/20 year olds they used to be. To get your hopes up that they might one day be capable of reverting back is to ignore reality. The album is good on its own. There's no need to compare it to their past albums, especially the albums from 15 years ago with different band members (one in particular that really brought Metallica to the forefront...that being Cliff Burton).
bjwok
liljp617 wrote:
There's no need to compare it to their past albums, especially the albums from 15 years ago with different band members (one in particular that really brought Metallica to the forefront...that being Cliff Burton).

then they should dump the name metallica, start afresh and not parade themselves like they are still that band from 15 years ago because musically they are definitely NOT.

c'mon man: LOAD? and RELOAD? what on earth was that rubbish?

i mean not only do they release a absolute pile of commercial rubbish, but they then go ahead and essentially release the exact same thing over again!!!

how long will they continue to dirty their own name?
liljp617
bjwok wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
There's no need to compare it to their past albums, especially the albums from 15 years ago with different band members (one in particular that really brought Metallica to the forefront...that being Cliff Burton).

then they should dump the name metallica, start afresh and not parade themselves like they are still that band from 15 years ago because musically they are definitely NOT.

c'mon man: LOAD? and RELOAD? what on earth was that rubbish?

i mean not only do they release a absolute pile of commercial rubbish, but they then go ahead and essentially release the exact same thing over again!!!

how long will they continue to dirty their own name?

They don't parade themselves around pretending to be the band they were. They've acknowledged everything they've done over the years, they've wrote albums for specific reasons with specific motivations, they've changed and they've acknowledged they've changed, they make music with different goals in mind. They don't do it for the fans, they do it for themselves. St. Anger was not written to be a great album for fans, it was written as a coping mechanism for James when he came out of rehab.

It's pretty apparent neither of us is going to agree, so I'll end it with saying again, the only people disappointed with the album are A) People who don't like anything Metallica does B) The people who can't handle the fact that the old Metallica will never be back and a new Metallica is here to stay.
bjwok
ie. they sold out.
Gagan
I heard it sold 200k in 3 days.

It's a more modern music from them which is good to see.
liljp617
bjwok wrote:
ie. they sold out.

IE people bitch every time a band plays the same thing and produces the same music for 30 years, then bitch when bands evolve and broaden their music.
bjwok
no they don't champ. case in point: radiohead. pushing the boundaries of music without a care in the world if it sells or not. their last album they allowed you the buyer to decide how much it was worth! metallica: purposely creating commercial music to fund their over zealous lifestyle at the expense of the very fans who got them where they are today.
liljp617
bjwok wrote:
no they don't champ. case in point: radiohead. pushing the boundaries of music without a care in the world if it sells or not. their last album they allowed you the buyer to decide how much it was worth! metallica: purposely creating commercial music to fund their over zealous lifestyle at the expense of the very fans who got them where they are today.

And every single interview they've ever done, every single documentary they've ever put out is directly contradictory of the point you're attempting to make. Your mind is obviously made up, I'd just like you make this assertion in front of them so they can easily prove you wrong.
bjwok
regardless of whether "my mind is made up" or not, take a listen to their music mate: it's woeful!!!
Rosanova
Helios wrote:
Totally agree.

I heard this album, and few songs even more than once, and it was totally boring. As I said somewhere before, they were rolling downhill right from the start, starting as a mediocre band and became famous only because they started making "more popular" music (black album at those times, if I remember right). Correct me if I'm wrong on the facts, but I still don't like the album.

Hi there,

I'm not very proud of it, but I've to confess that I've now also listen to it a couple of times more, and my updated conclusion is that it doesn't hurt your ears, but I doesn't do anything else. You can listen to it, but in thoughts about how long time they had spend on it, would my conclusion be that they had wasted their time, and still might find something more useful to do.

Cheers!
metalprincess666
this is very good album
one of the best by metallica
liljp617
metalprincess666 wrote:
this is very good album
one of the best by metallica

Far from it. Their "best" went out in the 80s. This album is worth much more respect than most music today, but it's not even comparable to Metallica of the old days (not that it should be compared to that...they're 25 years older, have 20 years of alcohol destruction, have families, etc.).

bjwok wrote:
regardless of whether "my mind is made up" or not, take a listen to their music mate: it's woeful!!!

Respectfully disagree.
votd
I'm not a very big fan of Metallica, well, to tell you the truth, I haven't listened to many of their songs, but I found Death Magnetic a very good album. It has some pluses and minuses, but in general it's something new in their style.

Pluses:
- perfectly recorded compositions
- Hetfield's vocals
- cover

Minuses:
- sometimes can be boring (all songs have something in common and hearing the same thing all the time can be tiring)
- The Unforgiven III (too much - that's my opinion)
liljp617
Add Kirk's soloing to the minus list.
Nutteloos
It gets better with each listen, I have to admit. It kind of grows on you.

Though I have to admit most music is like that, new albums are always strange. They need some time to settle, and Metallica's latest is a slow one at that. I don't think I'll ever like it more than some (actually, make that most) of their older works.
Afaceinthematrix
I liked the album. I bought it shortly after it came out. Metallica is my favorite band of all time. Sure it isn't as good as Kill 'Em All or Ride the Lightning, but it's still great! The songs had some pretty decent solos, lyrics, etc. Sure Metallica has had better line ups (Cliff Burton and Dave Mustaine both made huge contributions), but it still has James, Lars, and Kirk. All of them are legendary.

The one thing that I wish this album had more of was speed. That's really what made Metallica popular. But all in all, this album was good. I think my favorite song from the album is All Nightmare Long.
slashnburn99
on the next album looking forward to unforgiven 4 - (forgiven at last, bit of a tearjerker that one)
Nutteloos
slashnburn99 wrote:
on the next album looking forward to unforgiven 4 - (forgiven at last, bit of a tearjerker that one)

If by that you mean that the "Unforgiven III" was a bit overdone, then I agree. If you don't, well then, I don't. Smile
agustin
didnt heard it yet.
Scubaman2051
I have recently seen the video for All Nightmare Long. I think it was creative but definitely was not one of their best videos.
Noremac
It's terrible, They tried to make it sound raw in the mastering but it cam out sounding distorted, it can be as "metallica" or "metal" as it likes but it's boring and unoriginal. I won't even buy it just to complete my collection of Metallica albums. It makes St. Anger and Load and Reload of shit look good. I'll still go see them live though they should hand the sceptor over.