FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux XP Desktop 2008

riki
Linux XP Desktop 2008

Linux XP Desktop 2008 is a modern operating system for users, who want to take Linux advantages on the desktop, still having comfort and not spending time on learning how to use new system.

The product is based on opensource software. It is as Microsoft Windows compatible as it is possible in Linux. Linux XP Desktop combines Lnux productivity and security with Microsoft Windows usability.

Linux XP Desktop - much more then a operating system. It has a complete and ready to work set of applications to create your modern workplace.

Connecting and communications

It is of great importance to be online in our communications world. Our system provides you access to global information resources and a variety of communication utilities to connect to other Internet users.

Productivity

In our rapidly changing life it is of great importance to raise effectiveness and productivity of your work. Linux XP Desktop 2008 makes you workflow comfortable.[/b]
[FuN]goku
For anyone looking for a link since he didnt post one

http://www.linux-xp.com/

I find something funny on their site.

Quote:

Security
It's not vulnerable to viruses, spyware and many other common threats.

I think thats a bit of BS, imo any system is susceptible to virus's. It just depends on whether they're ones that arent in virus definitions or not. Everyone thinks just cuz your on linux you cant get virus's but thats kind of false.

But i think i might get a copy of this and give er a try on a virtual machine, since i'm happy with my current linux installation. I don't feel like patching my wireless drivers again XD
rjason0
I run a tri boot on my computer. I run Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu.
cavedog2
linux xp looks sooo nice! Maybe I should try out the 30 day trial. Just wondering where I'm going to buy it. It seems the links on their website doesn't work Sad
Diablosblizz
In my opinion, that just looks like Windows XP with a Visual Theme for Linux. I'll download and install on a Virtual Machine like GoKu and I'll post what I think. Smile

EDIT: The link that GoKu posted seems like a scam, I can't download or "buy." When I Wikipedia the operating system, it says that it was released by "EnabledPeople," while the website says "TrueVerse."

I smell something fishy.
LostOverThere
Diablosblizz wrote:
In my opinion, that just looks like Windows XP with a Visual Theme for Linux. I'll download and install on a Virtual Machine like GoKu and I'll post what I think. Smile

EDIT: The link that GoKu posted seems like a scam, I can't download or "buy." When I Wikipedia the operating system, it says that it was released by "EnabledPeople," while the website says "TrueVerse."

I smell something fishy.

Read the first paragraph of Wikipedia.
Wikipedia wrote:
Linux XP is a shareware Linux distribution that was first released by EnabledPeople. It is designed to imitate the Windows environment. It is currently owned by Trustverse and is under development.

But seriously, there is no way I'd actually pay for Linux when I can just get it for free...
Fire Boar
[FuN]goku wrote:

Quote:

Security

I think thats a bit of BS, imo any system is susceptible to virus's. It just depends on whether they're ones that arent in virus definitions or not. Everyone thinks just cuz your on linux you cant get virus's but thats kind of false.

But i think i might get a copy of this and give er a try on a virtual machine, since i'm happy with my current linux installation. I don't feel like patching my wireless drivers again XD

Wrong. Linux is far more secure than Windows. Why? Let us consider how a virus would work on Linux. It installs itself as a daemon ('service' for you Windows people) and messes things up. Okay, first problem: daemons are all controlled by the root user. And the first thing to know about using Linux is that you NEVER run your programs as root. In other words, the underlying architecture of Linux makes it more secure, and impossible to install viruses on easily. But there's more!

Unlike Windows, you rarely have to install something which isn't on the repositories. You might download a script and just run it straight off, or you'd use apt or RPM or whatever to install the package. Only packages approved for use by the repository maintainers will be available, and most distros have a huge range of programs, perfect for almost any use you could care to come up with. No potentially dodgy websites downloading and installing stuff.

Most people get viruses from visiting harmful websites or downloading stuff illegally. With Linux there's not a problem: websites can't make any change to your computer without you knowing about it and approving of the operation, and if you see a request for an administration password, you'll be pretty suspicious of it I'm sure.

And finally, viruses are mostly geared towards Windows. This is because it's not only the most vulnerable and easy to attack system around, but it's also the most used. There are very very few Linux and Mac (which is built similarly) viruses in history, compared with the thousands for Windows.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this Linux Desktop XP. Is it some sort of mad joke?
dmystic
Fire Boar wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

Quote:

Security

Wrong. Linux is far more secure than Windows. Why? Let us consider how a virus would work on Linux. It installs itself as a daemon ('service' for you Windows people) and messes things up. Okay, first problem: daemons are all controlled by the root user. And the first thing to know about using Linux is that you NEVER run your programs as root. In other words, the underlying architecture of Linux makes it more secure, and impossible to install viruses on easily. But there's more!

Unlike Windows, you rarely have to install something which isn't on the repositories. You might download a script and just run it straight off, or you'd use apt or RPM or whatever to install the package. Only packages approved for use by the repository maintainers will be available, and most distros have a huge range of programs, perfect for almost any use you could care to come up with. No potentially dodgy websites downloading and installing stuff.

Most people get viruses from visiting harmful websites or downloading stuff illegally. With Linux there's not a problem: websites can't make any change to your computer without you knowing about it and approving of the operation, and if you see a request for an administration password, you'll be pretty suspicious of it I'm sure.

And finally, viruses are mostly geared towards Windows. This is because it's not only the most vulnerable and easy to attack system around, but it's also the most used. There are very very few Linux and Mac (which is built similarly) viruses in history, compared with the thousands for Windows.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this Linux Desktop XP. Is it some sort of mad joke?

its not that linux is safer, all that stuff you say got windows too, if you run with windows XP as a non-admin account, its also not possible to change much, but the biggest problems is security leaks, but also linux got them, but because it isnt used much, there arent much organisations spending money on linux. So practically the biggest thing that saves linux from virusses is that it isnt used much. so if linux get to be someday a big OS, there are also going to be much virusses
wicke
Really seems like XP with customized theme. I tried once a distro like this, but it didn't worked as I expected, and those screenshots, they don't always tell the truth, only part of it...
Fire Boar
dmystic wrote:
its not that linux is safer, all that stuff you say got windows too, if you run with windows XP as a non-admin account, its also not possible to change much, but the biggest problems is security leaks, but also linux got them, but because it isnt used much, there arent much organisations spending money on linux. So practically the biggest thing that saves linux from virusses is that it isnt used much. so if linux get to be someday a big OS, there are also going to be much virusses

The big difference? Linux only requires an admin account for installing things. Windows, on the other hand, requires an admin account to do basic things - just using certain software requires it!

Windows has no repositories. Installing random things you find on the internet is the norm. With Linux? You generally either download a tarball from the internet and compile it, in which case the application is open source and people can flag it down as a virus, or download it from repositories, where lots of other software is kept and used by thousands others. If it's a virus it will be taken down.

You're also wrong about company support. Companies like Novell and Google have piled huge amounts of support into Linux. Then there's the financial support from people with more money than they know what to do with and finally, there are volunteers working on building and improving Linux so there are actually far more Linux developers than Microsoft developers.

Finally? You're also wrong when you say Linux isn't used much. It's true that most people are given Windows with their computers, but big businesses, hobbyist home users, academic institutions and home users who want that much more stability and performance out of their system opt for Linux. And with Microsoft's Vista fiasco, more and more users are discovering Linux, and its use is rising very rapidly indeed.

... unlike the virus count.