FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash Drive - Unrecognized Device

Kestrel
When trying to use my Kingston 1GB Data Traveler, my computer tells me that it's an unrecognized device and that it has malfunctioned. This has happened on two different PCs, and I even bought a brand new Flash Drive, and it did the exact same thing, right out of the package. Any idea what's wrong?

Edit: And I know how to use Flash Drives, and computers in general. So I'm not doing anything unusually dumb.

Also, I plugged it into one PC, it worked. Put something on it, uninstalled the device to take it to a different PC, then it stopped working.
psycosquirrel
Odd.

So you said it malfunctions on more than one computer, and at the same time, other flash drives won't work on either computer?

I think you should retry your troubleshooting. Restart all computers, then try it again.

It seems odd that it wouldn't work on two computers, but would work on a third. It seems even more odd that the same exact thing would happen with a second drive...
bulek
Do you get this message for every USB port on your computer? Have you installed the newest motherboard software and BIOS? If you did, then USB flash drive is probably dead. Try it on more computers to be 100% sure.
prithvi
This happens with my drive/player too............but it happens mostly while connecting to others' computers.
But it works when re-connected to an alternative USB port.
Kaseas
Kestrel wrote:
When trying to use my Kingston 1GB Data Traveler, my computer tells me that it's an unrecognized device and that it has malfunctioned. This has happened on two different PCs, and I even bought a brand new Flash Drive, and it did the exact same thing, right out of the package. Any idea what's wrong?

Edit: And I know how to use Flash Drives, and computers in general. So I'm not doing anything unusually dumb.

Also, I plugged it into one PC, it worked. Put something on it, uninstalled the device to take it to a different PC, then it stopped working.

For me, my Kingston Datatraveler works on only one side of my laptop. I don't know why that happens, it works fine on every other computer.

Also, this could be because I am running Vista, which I'm finding to be quite unstable.
BriDog333
Hey everyone,

I think I may have solved this one...I have certainly been able to get three previously "unrecognized" flash drives to begin working properly again. Maybe this will help with yours...

I preface this by pointing out that I am by no means an expert on this stuff. I have never been formally trained in any aspect of computing. I have only a working-knowledge of the subject, obtained via years of my own personal research of it. If anything I say here strikes you as incorrect, please feel free to correct me & set the record straight...

The problems I was having with my flash drives appears to have stemmed from the computer operating system, i.e., there was/is nothing whatsoever wrong with the flash drives themselves (which explains why they will continue to work on some computers, but not on others).

Near as I can tell, the OS - for reasons I am unable to determine - changed the "letter" associated with the drive. The drives were (while they were still working properly prior to them suddenly going unrecognized) designated as the "L" drive(s). The OS apparently, with no action whatsoever on my part, re-designated them as the "F" drive(s).

Unfortunately, the "F" drive was already in use(!)...it is the letter designated as the company server. The computers in question (there were several computers that would not recognize the drives) apparently disregarded the new letter designation and continued (properly) to associate the "F" drive with its original designation as the company server.

The solution was/is as simple as re-assigning the drive letters back to their original letter (or any letter that is not currently in use by the computer). How I accomplished this is as follows:

1) While the flash drive is NOT connected to your computer, left-click on “My Computer”, and make note of all of the letters currently assigned to the various drives on your computer. Exit back to the desktop

2) Connect/Plug-in your flash drive

3) Right-click on “My Computer”, click on “Properties”, click the “Hardware” tab, then the “Device Manager” button, and finally on the “Disk Drives” icon
- If indeed your flash drive is operating properly (which, as noted above, I believe should be the case), then it should appear here under its brand name
- You have just verified that your computer knows that the flash drive is there

4) Once again, right-click on “My Computer”, and then this time click on “Manage”, followed by clicking on “Disk Management”. You will now see a list of the drives that are currently in use, i.e., the main “C” drive, and your flash drive, which will be listed immediately beneath the “C” drive.
- If the problem is what I suspect it is (as noted above, the OS re-assigning the drive letter associated with the flash drive), then the current letter assigned to the flash drive will be one of the letters that you noted previously as already being in use. This is the heart of the problem. This letter needs to be changed (back) to a letter that is not currently in use.

5) To change-back/re-assign the flash drive letter, do the following:
- Remaining in the “Disk Management” screen, go down to the lower portion of the screen to the drive in question (there will be a list of drives, appearing something like “Disk 3”, Disk 4”, “CD-ROM 1”, “CD-ROM 2”….and so on)
- Right-click on the drive, and click on “Change Drive Letter and Paths”, and click on the “Change” button
- In the drop-down menu containing various letters, select any letter that is NOT currently in use by your computer, click on “OK”, then click on “Yes” in the “Confirm” pop-up box that appears.

If I’ve got this one right, your flash-drive problem should now be solved. Give it a try, and please give me some feedback as to whether or not it worked for you…

Best Regards,

BriDog333
aningbo
Code:

its a fake product. take it back to the store.