FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

~~~SPORE~~~

media-flow
Hi Guys,

am i the only one who's really looking forward to the game spore.

please tell me your thoughts on the game and will you be getting it.

if you have never heard of it then just visit this website below for a trailer and summary

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36436.html

~~##mikey b##~~
Flarkis
omg this game looks sweet. My brother preordered the game and we should be getting it this sunday Very Happy i created a creature on the creature maker thing and wow. The vast amount of things you can do to your little guy (or big guy) are amazing. You have so many choices as to what it will look like! Couldnt have expected anything less from the makers of the sims Wink cant wait to see how the actuall game will be Very Happy
georgeodowd
I took a class earlier this year that was taught by one of the guys developing Spore, but despite fervent requests, he wouldn't leak anything about it! So I guess I'd better go get a copy and see for myself Smile
Diablosblizz
While this game looks very kiddish, and reminds me of Pikmin, it seems awesome! It's one of those Age of Empire strategy games. I would defiantly buy it, because it seems like a game I would enjoy.

Pretty interesting, thanks for the share.
Futile
i have had this since the first day of the creature creator release. I have been waiting for the whole three years since the idea was first announced. can't wait
QrafTee
I have it, but I haven't gotten to install yet. I'll be sure to give my insight on the game in one to two days.
mitra
can someone please tell me if this a sweet game or a bit too childish. Or hmm i guess i will take some game time before you get further into the game. But still. Please post some stuff about it. I might go and get it, but wanna hear some peoples opinions first.

is it like a maxis simcity type game but obviously different. or is it something completely new?
QrafTee
mitra wrote:
can someone please tell me if this a sweet game or a bit too childish. Or hmm i guess i will take some game time before you get further into the game. But still. Please post some stuff about it. I might go and get it, but wanna hear some peoples opinions first.

is it like a maxis simcity type game but obviously different. or is it something completely new?

Okay, so I've had a total of... 4 hours in the game. I finished Cell, Creature, and I'm just starting Tribal Phase.

Please keep in mind I'm playing on Hard mode.

Cell phase is pretty simple, it looks childish and its gameplay revolves with just the mouse. Each time you evolve, you add more parts to make sure you survive. Keep in mind that everything you do in the beginning of the game affects the latter part of the game.

The creature phase is fascinating. It has a little control issues, but plays like an real-time RPG. Everything can be molded and parts can be added for this and that. Remember if you want to be peace, you better not go killing everything and if you want to be a warmonger, you better drive other creatures to extinction. There's also an inbetween which is harder to achieve than one would be led to believe.

I just started the Tribal Phase so I can't comment much on it yet. The game crashed, but that's just a minor set back. I'll go back to it tomorrow.
Kunkstar7
I've heard some good things about this game, but not exactly sure what it is. But from what I'm told I think it might be a good game. Anybody got any reasons otherwise?
QrafTee
So... I ran into a little snag. After destroying the first rival tribe, the game crashes... It is such a shame that PC games require patching when the game is released.

Hint for Tribal Phase: Work on creating Baby creatures first so you have a lot of manpower. If you're mostly peaceful, fish and impress the other villages. If you're warlike, fish, hunt animals down, and buy a weapons hut as soon as you can.
ddukki
I definitely want to play the game, but I'm not so sure about buying it. It looks like one of those games where it'll completely take over your life, trying to get every single evolutionary detail perfect just to find out that another person has either a) the exact same creature, or b) a better, unbeatable one.

In other words, I'll be playing it over the next break xD
r4inm4ker
Wow, it seems to be a very fun game. Definitely will try it soon!
Futile
I got the Galactic Edition yesterday. I like it. The cell stage can be a little annoying but once you get the hang of it, it rocks. I played up until the Civilization Stage. I will tackle it and space tonight. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the Sims or any game around that genre. The ability to create whatever look you want and being able to download any creature you like that is shared is one of a kind. I especially like that you are online and have your own instance. Think of it as The Sims2 meet Civilization meets Populous. It is a good buy. Check out the reviews at http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926714.asp
hlavco
I'll probably get this game sometime soon. Not now, I've been too busy. But once I have time I'll look into it, it seems fun.
gugusm
I really don't like that kind of games. It's boring for me Confused
Keran
I'm playing Spore now for few days, I haven't beaten it yet, I'm only at the tribal phase... But my impressions so far are, that this game is nothing more than... cute... Yup, there's really nothing super special about Spore. Everything could have been done with a little more attention to detail, right now it kind of feels like 5 mini games turned into a game. The sum of all of those parts makes the game pretty good, but broken apart, every phase of evolution is just boring and repetitive...
But as I said, this game is cute... really damn cute, my critter is really awesome, I guess it's the only thing that keeps me playing ;]
Oddw1re
Hi I've been playing spore for a few days and think that it is a fun game.
Its not the kind of game for hardcore gamers but if your bored its a fun thing to play.
I'm currently on the Space stage and think that this is the best part of the game. You get to fly around different planets Trading, Doing mission, Destroying them...ect.
The stages before space went too quickly i think but creating your creature and vehicles takes time (well it did for me). So I think this game is awesome and fun to play
Futile
I agree with Oddwire the earlier stages can go quick, if you want them too. It takes a little patience and I see the repetitiveness in the game especially if you are trying to unlock all the body parts in the creature stage or just can’t get that right combination to get races to ally with you. I have found that if you are a carnivore that the game is a little less exciting, at least for me because you just beat the hell out of everything and blow the crap out of it. It's kind of like being of evil alignment in an RPG. Nothing is too bad because you adhere to no rules. Being an omnivore or herbivore takes a lot more management and nurturing especially if you are trying to stay within your "class" range.

Being a hard core gamer myself, I will say that it is not for the hard core gamer. A gamer cannot live by fireballs, swords, grenades and M-60 machine guns alone. I may be classified as a hard core gamer, but I am first and foremost a gamer and I know a good game when I see one and Spore is a great game. As I stated in an earlier post it will not be for everyone. But I will lay money on the overall impact it will have on gaming. People who normally wouldn't play video games will play Spore. Just like The Sims and Second Life it will open up gaming to an audience who normally wouldn't give a rat's @ss one way or another.
Kelcey
The reviews don't really present the game in a good light for me. It sounds really short and like it didn't deliver on the promises from way back.
QrafTee
Kelcey wrote:
The reviews don't really present the game in a good light for me. It sounds really short and like it didn't deliver on the promises from way back.

They do review it positively, but they also do say the whole game can be completed in less than 10 hours. The reason being Will Wright started simplifying the game for casual gamers in the latter part of development which is why each phase went by quickly.
ericf
Kelcey wrote:

This is actually why I haven't started playing it yet. When I think about it though, the reason why I haven't is that it was hyped so much that when it started getting only 'good' reviews instead of amazing reviews, I was turned off by it. Hmmm, I'm still debating. I do have a lot of on my plate this semester. Maybe I shouldn't, Razz.
Fire Boar
I'd steer clear of the PC version actually, no matter what. They are incorporating something called SecuROM which is supposed to prevent piracy (though ironically the time for Spore to be cracked is one of the fastest ever (-2 days IIRC, yep, pirates got it two days before legit buyers), so that kind-of fell through!). Instead it's obtrusive, installs a load of crap on your system and actually modifies your CD drivers, in some cases corrupting the ability to burn CDs/DVDs.
schooldays
It does look really good and I'd like to get it, but all the reviews warning about the install system have kind of put me off. Which is really quite annoying. Some people say the game itself is very deep and complex, but others say it's quite shallow and short. Don't know which ones to agree with. Neutral
thetinyclam
I read that Spore is now the most pirated game in the history of gaming lol. But this was mostly attributed to the DRM, which only allows consumers with legitimate copies to install it and register the game 3 times. Lol what an insult to consumers. EA thinks that the DRM will stop people from pirating it, but it as the worst negative effects lol. I guess it's time I get a copy of this game =]
petermilko
PAHAHAH i love PIRATES ARRRRGHH haha
weableandbob
the game itself is great. The DRM from EA is not
warriorpoets
I had fun watching my girlfriend play it. She was seriously addicted to it for about a week, then she got bored and went on a NWN kick.
filesharing
thetinyclam wrote:
I read that Spore is now the most pirated game in the history of gaming lol. But this was mostly attributed to the DRM, which only allows consumers with legitimate copies to install it and register the game 3 times. Lol what an insult to consumers. EA thinks that the DRM will stop people from pirating it, but it as the worst negative effects lol. I guess it's time I get a copy of this game =]
nope, THE SIMS ist the most pirated game in the world, but Spore beats all other games, I read that there were about 80 000 downloads in the first days and they only counted the downloads from public torrent trackers like "the pirate bay"
Starrfoxx
I really want to like Spore, and it is kinda fun the first time around. I don't see much replayability, because it's pretty much the same thing no matter what creature you make. Space phase is a little additctive, and I love games that are similiar to it. But with Spore, the missions are pretty much the same thing over and over (pirates, environmental disasters, or invasions) as you try to expand your empire and go to the center of the universe.

To me, Spore is one of those games you log into once in awhile for some quick fun. Then you move on to something else.

Maybe it'll get better when they release all the expansions.
filesharing
Quote:
To me, Spore is one of those games you log into once in awhile for some quick fun. Then you move on to something else.
true, it was great fun - for about 20 hours, there is no motivation to play the game longer...
Indyan
filesharing wrote:
Quote:
true, it was great fun - for about 20 hours, there is no motivation to play the game longer...

I havent played that game myself. But given that most FPS provide about 10-15 hrs of gameplay 20 hrs seems good enough value for money.
Drathan
I'm hoping to get it, because Spore looks amazing. I probably wont get it though.. Anyone who has it tell me if it's hard or not? and if it is what's easier, Herbivore or Carnivore?
Starrfoxx
Here's the thing about Spore.

It doesn't matter if you are a herbivore or a carnivore, because it plays the same way. It doesn't matter how you make your creature, because you can change it later anyway. What you do has little to no impact on how the game goes or how your creature evolves. Most of it is all looks.

Easy or hard? I guess that depends on what setting you play at. I've played on easy, and it was easy. I feel that playing on Hard might actually make the game annoying, though. And the space phase gets really annoying with the countless emergencies that come up requiring your attention. You can barely dedicate any time to terraforming a planet until you are interrupted.

It's fun. Kinda. Once you play through it once though, I can't imagine wanting to do it all again with a different creature because it'll just about the same. I do think this game has a lot of potential, though. If they release a ton of expansions, then it may become an incredible game. Right now, it's kinda "so-so". Not worth $50.
ddukki
Starrfoxx wrote:
Here's the thing about Spore.

It doesn't matter if you are a herbivore or a carnivore, because it plays the same way. It doesn't matter how you make your creature, because you can change it later anyway. What you do has little to no impact on how the game goes or how your creature evolves. Most of it is all looks.

Easy or hard? I guess that depends on what setting you play at. I've played on easy, and it was easy. I feel that playing on Hard might actually make the game annoying, though. And the space phase gets really annoying with the countless emergencies that come up requiring your attention. You can barely dedicate any time to terraforming a planet until you are interrupted.

It's fun. Kinda. Once you play through it once though, I can't imagine wanting to do it all again with a different creature because it'll just about the same. I do think this game has a lot of potential, though. If they release a ton of expansions, then it may become an incredible game. Right now, it's kinda "so-so". Not worth $50.
Definitely addicting for the first time you play it. Then, you end up asking yourself, "what have I been doing for the past three hours?"

I agree with Starrfoxx in that it really doesn't matter how you play the game. The settings are moot, once you figure out the fundamental mechanics, which isn't that hard. After the first ten minutes, I realized that the game is so simplistic that Hard and Normal probably aren't much that different besides the amount of enemies that appear.

I was right.

Don't worry about the settings, or the choices you make until at least the Tribal Stages. Nothing really matters until really the end of the second stage. That's only if you want to change the look of your creature before it's set permanently.

Great game ... but too easy / simplistic [which isn't really a bad thing. Just that there should have been some degree of difficulty difference in the difficulty settings.]
Nebenator
Spore is so much fun! I can't stop playing!
amperx
really nice game, though its replay value isn't that nice, for me, i dont wanna play it over again, nice game though
Starrfoxx
Yeah, it's kinda funny. I'm playing the original DOS version of Civilization. The graphics are nothing compared to Spore, yet the gameplay and replayability of Civilization always keeps me coming back. Spore is like... eh, been there done that already.
r4inm4ker
Just play it for a few hours, and like it a lot actually. I have a lot of fun just by modifying parts of the creature to make it "believable" and "balanced" while also cute, lol. It has a very nice concept, and I hope that this game make considerable profit so that the developers keep improving it. I'd like to see more complex and non-linear gameplay.
georgeodowd
Yeah, I agree with the comments above. I am almost all the way through the stages and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to actually finish. There just isn't enough variable gameplay within each phase. The goals are very simple and repetitive. I have a friend, however, who is really into gameplay that isn't heavily goal-based and encourages exploration. Spore seems to fit more into this game type.
Starrfoxx
I agree. There is a lot to explore, but the problem is that once you've seen a lot of it, then you've pretty much gotten the idea.

I think the biggest discovery I had is when I changed the graphics from default to max settings. Then I was going, oooo and ahhhhh.
achowles
This is just more DRM rubbish from EA. It's so intent on protecting EA's profiteering that it's practically a virus. There's no way in hell I'd install something like that on my computer. Never mind pay for it.
WicCaesar
I own it and I got too disappointed, but I still think it's a good game.
grashopa
No way the game is not good at all. Incredibly weak. Absolutely mindless. When you are allowed to start from scratch redesigning your animal there is no point to having played up to that point. And oh god why would you want to play the part when you become smart and start wearing things. You got to space??? HOW?! WHY?! Whats the point! Stop playing. Don't buy it!
Starrfoxx
So, has anyone bought the Cute and Creepy parts pack? I haven't, because I think it's a waste of $20 for something that doesn't really change the game. I think the Sims 2 Stuff packs have more use out of them.

From what I read, the creepy parts are relatively the best parts out of the pack.
filesharing
Starrfoxx wrote:
I think the Sims 2 Stuff packs have more use out of them.

5h additional gameplay. Don't think thats worth the money...
Xaferrow
SPORE was a great game untill u finish it in some hours xD

the game is too simple.
chi0
Thanks for all these reviews, guys. I was thinking about getting it, but if it's so quick to finish, I might wait until it goes on the sale shelves with 3 expansion packs added to it or something. Razz
Xaferrow
is SPORE have expansion pack?
Starrfoxx
Xaferrow wrote:
is SPORE have expansion pack?

No, but soon. There is an expansion planned for Space. Allows you to beam down to planets and do missions or something. Plus others can create missions and you can download them through Sporepedia, or something like that. From what I have read from various sources, it doesn't sound like they are doing much for the first expansion. Maybe more will get revealed later.
amperx
true a very nice game, top 1 of the most pirated one to boot, fun gameplay and addicting for the first 15 hours or so of the game, conclusion, dont play longer than 15hours, you'll get bored