FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Text Editor of your choice

Da Rossa
Which one do you prefer? There are more than ten well recognized text editors to replace notepad. My preference is Textpad 5, but Notepad++ is pretty cool too.
hummer010
Context is my choice. It hasn't been updated in a while, but IMO, there isn't anything that needs updating.
kansloos
Gedit or normal notepad, depending on which OS I use.
Arnie
EDXOR

Diablosblizz
I use a PHP IDE - phpDesigner. It's pretty simple, but complex at the same time. It's a good text editor, and pretty easy to use.
lashaun
i like notepad myself for quick things. for essays and more complicated things i use officeblue 07
surdy
I use linux ...so i prefer Gedit.
When on windows ..i use the good old notepad
moorthyrweb
NP++ I had.
Da Rossa
Actually I meant a plain text editor, not a word processor..
realtrue
I use JEdit and Notepad++ but more in Notepad++. I like Notepadd++ because easy to use and fast enough.
swizzy
Diablosblizz wrote:
I use a PHP IDE - phpDesigner. It's pretty simple, but complex at the same time. It's a good text editor, and pretty easy to use.

Ditto me, i simlple love phpDesigner, wondering how to get it on Mac!
infinisa
Usually I use notepad.

Sometimes I use VIM to edit a file, if I need to know the cursor location, or handle control or hexadecimal characters.

This may sound like overkill, but sometimes I use the Delphi IDE as a text editor . It has several useful features:
    allows me to select a insert/delete rectangular blocks
    Prints with line numbers if you want
    shows the cursor position (line/column)

Although Delphi is a software development system, a free version (Turbo Delphi) is a available.
mgeek
I use NToolz Notepad Pro and ZionEdit. I am using an old computer running on Win98 and I find these two editors congenial to it.
phucngo
EmEditor is also one of best choice for PHP programming with Macro to show pop-up menu with PHP function list.
Studio Madcrow
I've always had a soft spot for Notepad++ It's powerful, open source and has all the cool features you could ever want.
jylan
I use the default text-editor for Mac: TextEdit by Apple Very Happy
bissoboa
kate is my choice within linux/kde.
If I really have to edit text files in windows, then I use notepad or notepad++ Rolling Eyes
snowboardalliance
Notepad++ is my favorite. I never really found anything like it in Ubuntu, because I really got used to the interface.
spring567
Editplus is a nice text editor.
r4inm4ker
notepad++,it's free and suits my needs. It has custom syntax highlight, tabbing, compare function, auto-complete, and many more.
silverdown
I use Notepad ++ , word and many others just which ever is closet to the cursor and click it Laughing
Studio Madcrow
jylan wrote:

TextEdit is more like a real word processor, though, isn't it? It does fonts, colors, styles, spell check, etc... Doesn't that get in the way when you just want to edit plain .TXT files?
Arnie
Well technically even MS Word and OOo Writer can save documents as TXT...
chartcentral
My preferred text editor would be Notepad for simple and basic use. Textpad for a feature-rich and advanced editor. WinkSmile
Agent ME
Notepad++ is nice on windows - I even have the portable version on my flashdrive. On linux, I stick with gedit and nano, which are simple but useful.
jylan
Studio Madcrow wrote:
jylan wrote:

TextEdit is more like a real word processor, though, isn't it? It does fonts, colors, styles, spell check, etc... Doesn't that get in the way when you just want to edit plain .TXT files?

No not really, when you open up a plain txt file it just hides all the of the word processor options.
welshsteve
Notepad++ everytime. Great little app. Code highlighting, expandable nodes etc. I love it Smile

Used to use Notepad2, which is also very nice until I found notepad++
Fire Boar
snowboardalliance wrote:
Notepad++ is my favorite. I never really found anything like it in Ubuntu, because I really got used to the interface.

Kate is pretty cool. But for the hardcore, VI is the best around. It's programmable on the fly, so you could make all sorts of edits really really quickly. But it's also really confusing for a new user. "Wha?! I have to press "i" before I can start writing anything?"
sheedatali
Since I am a Nix user primarily, 'vi' is the primary editor i use. The reason to use that is because it is available on almost every system out there by default and does not require GUI. On my system I use VIM and I love it because it is very customizable and does not waste time. If I was to choose an editor for serious programming then I will probably go eclipse IDE.
jsfdan
I use Notepad for quick edits (less lag) and phpDesigner 2008 for my php coding. It is really helpful because it auto-spots errors.
snowboardalliance
Fire Boar wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:

Kate is pretty cool. But for the hardcore, VI is the best around. It's programmable on the fly, so you could make all sorts of edits really really quickly. But it's also really confusing for a new user. "Wha?! I have to press "i" before I can start writing anything?"

yeah I looked at vi and emacs and just couldn't get around the concept, shows how much the modern GUI has influenced me. It seems like the interface is a steep learning curve and that you have to type a lot to do anything (I'm more of a copy-paste) person. I don't know though, I'm sure I could get used to it pretty quickly with enough motivation.
welshsteve
jsfdan wrote:
I use Notepad for quick edits (less lag) and phpDesigner 2008 for my php coding. It is really helpful because it auto-spots errors.

Think i'll take a look at phpDesigner 2008
xcloudy
I use nodpad2, it's small and fast enough, while it's just more powerful than MS notepad.
slashnburn99
anything that doesnt have the word "word" in the title
chartcentral
And in addition to Notepad and Textpad, I also now use Notepad++. I enjoy its added features and it also fits my needs at work. Smile
driftingfe3s
I also use Notepad++.
mgeek
In a previous post, I wrote that I use NToolz Notepad. When my Win98 broke down, I used a computer that runs on WinXP. By that time, NToolz Notepad was no longer available, so I switched to NoteTab Lite.
mgeek
Has anyone here used Caderno?
welshsteve
I haven't ever heard of that one no. Looks almost the same as the standard notepad. Personally I prefer the feature rich interface of notepad++. For a bog standard notepad replacement, Notepad2 is pretty good
snowboardalliance
As an update, I have started trying to use emacs a little for some c++ homework. I kind of like it, although using Makefiles suck as projects get larger, so I'd rather use an IDE. Still, it's pretty cool to be able to do everything from the keyboard. Although, I wish I was faster and knew more shortcuts.
SultanMA
I'm using notepad++
cybersa
Notepad++.
No other.
inferno8719
edit plus