FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your Experiences with Google Chrome!

ganesh
Google today announced its own open source browser, namely, Google Chrome.

Apparently, it is geared to make sure JavaScript executes faster, and also web applications are specifically catered to. In my own experience, I found working with Google Docs much faster in Chrome compared to either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Each tab is a process by itself, and I don't like my task manager being chockfull with chrome.exe. I am happy anyways that the processes don't take up too much space. Also, there is a 'sad tab' feature which I haven't had the chance to experience yet.

My biggest gripe is that there are no add-ons available for Chrome yet. Without AdBlock Plus, I am not sure whether Chrome will be able to lure away Firefox users completely.

In the meanwhile, I continue to use Internet Explorer, Firefox 3 and K-Meleon in no particular order whatsoever!

Have fellow Frihosters started using Google Chrome yet? Please share your experiences here.
brokenadvice
Google will probably not allow adblock like plugins:

1. Chrome is produced by Google
2. Google Makes its money off of ads
3. With an adblock addon, in chrome there are no ads
4. ???
5. Google doesn't profit
r4inm4ker
Like google talk, it has very simple interface, with only basic tools on the default UI. I like the design actually, but seems that it's not feature packed yet(maybe because it's still in Beta). Don't know how it will compete with firefox in the future.
[FuN]goku
awww damn someone beat me to the post XD i just noticed it on google and was gonna post about this.. but anyways , i havent tried it yet , but i'll get around to it sometime this week.
Diablosblizz
If Google Chrome did have a ad-blocker, why would they block their own ads? It doesn't make any sense of why they would do that.

Although, I like the theme but I don't think I am ready to download. I bet you it will become a pretty good browser considering it's Google. I haven't seen anything that has failed from Google.
badai
this is really bad news for web developer. now we have to cater for yet another browser.
brokenadvice
badai wrote:
this is really bad news for web developer. now we have to cater for yet another browser.

Actually, since it is using the webkit rendering engine, it should render exactly the same as safari, camino and the like.
SonLight
I took a quick look at Google's new browser. I was disappointed that it's Windows only for now, but they assure me they will release it for other platforms soon.

I checked out the comic book which describes the browser features for non-technical users.

(See their blog entry at: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html and the comic book it links to at: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html .)

The comic book format is pretty good for making the ideas non-threatening for non-technical users, but if you're an IT major or equivalent, it has a review a lot of the ideas you've been studying the last few years.

I'm glad to see Google getting involved with a browser. They should be able to establish some new standards for reliability and safety. Apparently their version of open source includes making all code available for any use, including commercial programs.
Liu
Internal process manager shows the resources a website takes which I think is pretty cool.

I want them to hurry up and finish the linux version. Firefox just isn't cutting it for me anymore. The very least, I hope this puts more pressure on FF to step up the competition.
keane
I'm currently using Google Chrome and it's pretty sleek and fast. It got the basics of a web browser, there aren't much features like those of Firefox. Anyway, compared to Firefox, even without reading speed test results, it's a lot faster. XD That's a point for Chrome. I noticed also that when you make new tabs, it creates multiple instances/services of chrome unlike Firefox.

I'm just wondering, how long will it take for Chrome to get out of the beta period? Hahaha... Why do I ask? Look at Gmail, it's been years but still in beta. I mean no offense, I love Google. Just my two cents.
Liques
It's fast. But I'm not using yet because it is hard sometimes...
dude_xyx
Its simple and very fast. Its fast because lack of pluggins and lot of others things which firefox have. I would use Firefox as default but im gonna use this one too.
ThePolemistis
brokenadvice wrote:
Google will probably not allow adblock like plugins:

1. Chrome is produced by Google
2. Google Makes its money off of ads
3. With an adblock addon, in chrome there are no ads
4. ???
5. Google doesn't profit

Google has less ads that its rivals (ahem...cough... Microsoft)...
Look at the google main page (google.com). Not an ad in sight.

Now look at any other page on the web.

Google are the masters of displaying ads relevant to u and discretely too.
chungungo
is very fast, and cool. Is looks like firefox
Bets regards..
k_s_baskar
just now installed Chrome in my Windows xp Os.

Installation takes only few Sec.
Flash player n scripts in my sites are working fine without any prob.
Think Chrome may beat IE in few months Smile
xcloudy
badai wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about.
Developers have to spend more time of browser compacity validation.
Sad
well, as a developer, I still want to try chrome.
Agent ME
xcloudy wrote:
badai wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about.
Developers have to spend more time of browser compacity validation.
Sad
well, as a developer, I still want to try chrome.

It uses the same rendering system as Safari. If it works in Safari, it'll work in Chrome.
jabce85
yeap... i'm using it right now. i did notice however that spacing images old school style in html didn't seem to display the same as in ie...

much faster than ie on my computer
ThePolemistis
I always wanted a feature so tabs would run in their own process. these days, IE is so bloated that even with no tabs are open it would consume loads of memory (because you closed down tabs before of which still have memory utilisation)

Google chrome is very efficient. I love the idea of showing more visited sites on the main page.
FunDa
Its great that it has its own process explorer.

Always wondered when some website suddenly slows down the whole browser - this would make it easy to find the rogue website and kill its process.
the-guide
The new web browser from Google!!!
May be, if you’re moving from IE6, you might find Google Chrome to be cool.
However, if you are FF3 user you might think "What is the big deal?".
Genesiz
I posted about GC in another thread but I'll post about it here too.

Compared to many other browsers, GC has a much more sleek, professional feel to it. It could do with a few more features, as minimal is great but not to the point where there's nothing there. I have the feeling that once GC comes out of beta, Google will begin adding new features on gradually to cater for users needs.

Another thing that's great is how you can search for things without having to go to a search engine. This can save quite a bit of time, especially if your computer is very slow. The only problem i have with this is that it could alienate other search engines, as most people will be inclined to select Google as their default given that it is a Google product. Whether this is true or not i don't know.

Has anybody got any suggestions for extra features they want added to GC. One that i'd like to see is the ability to change the bookmarks that appear on each page, rather than it displaying them in alphabetical order. I'd definitely prefer to choose the links i want rather than it choosing for me.
ainieas
I've been using it since yesterday and I really like the looks and feel of it. I expected google to come up with something good and they did. Its real sleek and elegant in its look. And quite fast as a browser. I guess thats cause its stripped of any unnecessary, flashy feature. It did not take much time for me to download and install the software. I'm yet to discover most of the innovative features in Chrome but the few ones that I've come across have impressed me. Specially how opening a new tab gives a snapshot of all the webpages opened.
badai
not really, all 3 of my applications that run fine on all browser (including safari for windows) look weird on chrome. or are you referring for mac version? i know my applications look weird on mac (even on IE for mac)

brokenadvice wrote:
badai wrote:

Actually, since it is using the webkit rendering engine, it should render exactly the same as safari, camino and the like.
kv
I like it's process management, but the lack of addons/extensions makes it unusable for me.
guissmo
It's good but since it's new, the toolbars I have (StumbleUpon, Multiply) aren't supported yet.
the-guide
May be because they need "high rapidity" so any toolbars and addons are not supported.
However, this is only BETA version, I think they will add more functions later.
Kelcey
Chrome is much lighter than ie and firefox. Unforunately there aren't any add-ons right now and it seems to like missing my clicks.
snowboardalliance
I might try it, but it sounds like I'll be missing all of my extensions. I'm sure it'll be better eventually.

EDIT: I read the comic and I really hope this change works. Like if Mozilla will follow suit and use the new javascript engine. And I'm wondering how well this gears idea works? Like I can picture 10 years from now, all browsers use gears and if your site uses a "gear" that a user doesn't have, regardless of the browser, they can just download it easily. Maybe one day all browsers will render pages alike and web development won't be so difficult. This would also let developers invent new features (like CSS3) and quickly implement them (CSS3 will be useless for years at this rate). Very interesting...
tsuvik
Some how I always had a problem with chrome. The pages get killed midway.
So left using it.