FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is music

ptolomeo
Nineth symphony of Beethoven is music. The eclectic noise of a free jazz band is music. The polite sound of a choir of human voices is music. The boring music at the other side of the answering machine is music, although we dont like it to be called music. For me, sometimes, the noise of the drops of rain falling in the pavement is music, also the beautifull almost white noise of the top of the trees moved by the wind is (for me) music. Sometimes the crying of a man is music.

What is the limit between music and noise? Can it be defined? Or it depends on the one who hears the sound? After all, the waves in the air aren't concious of themselves, They are pressure waves in the air. The music is inside the human being hearing it.

What do you think?
Arnie

I bet you can tell which is music and which is noise. Of course it's not always that easy... I think some so-called music is actually noise.
airh3ad
For me music is sounds and bit of noise the sounds of our nature like wave its create noise and it will be music.
Insanity
I think this is a subjective matter; what we think is music may not be classified music by some other people. It's interesting because it's hard to classify even using this definition. Is music just pleasing sound? Then again you have music that you don't like, but could still call music. So it's all up in the air.
David_Pardy
This is an easy one.

Music is an aural construct of one or more voices (created by any item, instrument or animal) which harmonizes in a manner which is pleasing to the ear of the listener.

Music is ANYTHING that is aurally and emotionally stimulating to you, the listener.

Whether it's raindrops, the breeze through the trees, Hate Eternal or Bach, if it's music to YOUR ears, then it's music.
chatrack
Music is a vibration obeying the law of nature and god,

there was music before man and before the origin of life.

music is a periodic vibreation in pure form. just as a sound from "flute".

if you monitor the sound of "flute", it has only sine wave.
but if you monitor "yesudas" singing a sruthi it will be having a
mixtue of tones.

still it is not the complete answer
liljp617
Quote:
Greek philosophers and ancient Indians defined music as tones ordered horizontally as melodies and vertically as harmonies. Common sayings such as "the harmony of the spheres" and "it is music to my ears" point to the notion that music is often ordered and pleasant to listen to, but the opinion of the listener does not necessarily help music theorists formulate a precise definition of music. Like the notion that visual arts must be beautiful to behold, the tacit notion that music need be pleasant to listen to has been questioned.

20th-century composer John Cage was explicit that any sound can be music, saying, for example, "There is no noise, only sound."[2] According to musicologist Jean-Jacques Nattiez, "the border between music and noise is always culturally defined—which implies that, even within a single society, this border does not always pass through the same place; in short, there is rarely a consensus.… By all accounts there is no single and intercultural universal concept defining what music might be, except that it is 'sound through time'."[3]

The creation, performance, significance, and even the definition of music vary according to culture and social context. Music ranges from strictly organized compositions (and their recreation in performance), through improvisational music to aleatoric forms. Music can be divided into genres and subgenres, although the dividing lines and relationships between music genres are often subtle, sometimes open to individual interpretation, and occasionally controversial. Within "the arts", music may be classified as a performing art, a fine art, and auditory art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music

lol Very Happy
Firilacroco
Indefinable by words alone. It is not only something you hear but what you feel. It is something your soul can reach out and touch. It originates from all over the world since time began. Complex or simple, fast or slow, loud or soft. It is what you feel, or it could be your method of escape or it could just keep you alive.
JinTenshi
you like it, it's music.

you don't, it's noise.
spinout
Music has just one purpose!

To enjoy the soul!
ddukki
David_Pardy wrote:
This is an easy one.

Music is an aural construct of one or more voices (created by any item, instrument or animal) which harmonizes in a manner which is pleasing to the ear of the listener.

Music is ANYTHING that is aurally and emotionally stimulating to you, the listener.

Whether it's raindrops, the breeze through the trees, Hate Eternal or Bach, if it's music to YOUR ears, then it's music.
Couldn't have articulated it any better myself. Thus, contrary to some people, rap IS music ... just not to those people. We could go on for semantic rants all day long, but the core of music is the expression of nature in an aural medium. Be it Human Nature, Religion, or the World, music is the embodiment of that in a meaningful tone. Even if the music seems to have no meaning, the lack of meaning, probably suggests an underlying theme. Circular logic? Maybe, but music isn't about dictionary definitions, anyway.
deadswan
I think all it's all music other than Emo bands and Dragonforce lol
Emo is just pointless really and Dragonforce are just noise lol
Sluff
Music is music whether you think of it as noise or something soothing,its all on personal preference,i really dont like people that discriminate music either i mean yes you are entitled to your opinions but such opinions as "that band is garbage" well apparently they arent to some people otherwise they wouldnt be famous and making 100 times more money than you are

Musicians dont have it as easy as most people think...they think ya living the life as a rockstar would be easy,but yet they never think about what it would really be like

1. you travel non stop,you never really get to see your family unless they tour with you
2. your record company owns you so you do as they say just like the military
3. they sacrifice things in their life to entertain their fans
4. Most of them cant even put gas in their own cars anymore or do things that seem normal to you and me.

These people are doing what they love,so would you like to be criticized all the time at your job? i dont think so..it would make you quit right?

Well a lot of people try to fire back and say well most people dont love their job..then look at it this way..its your own fault for not controlling what you wanted to do with your life!

As being in the music industry a lot of people dont get to see the ugly side of what musicians actually go through,so the next time you go to say "that band really sucks" just remember what i said here!
deadswan
Well as you can see I didn't say they suck, I just said they were noise, or pointless Smile
Radar
I think there is a line between music and well, all other forms of sound, but I think 'noise' is really just a subjective term. We call a lot of things that aren't music 'noise', so I think it's far more general as well.

Music - a combination of sounds and silences created for performance.
Noise - anything you don't like Smile
prithvi
Sound could be anything. (raindrops, knock on the door, water dripping from the tap, human voice etc.)

But if a series of sound waves are formed that evoke a feeling in the listener, then that is music.

You can only hear a sound........but when you start feeling it, that's music to your ears. Cool
nTonio
Most of music is made by human (by himself or with a help of some devices - musical or almost musical), that for sure.
But the most important thing is to separate over own subjective opinion about kinds of music. For example, I do not like death metal at all, but I reconsider it as a kind of… music. That is why the opinion that noise is a thing that we don’t like is a bit wrong…
Some often says (me including) that the sound of V8 engine is beautiful music, but is only a metaphor. It is actually a noise, of a machine that I like!
Most certainly rain drops are not a music, it’s just a noise that some people like to hear.
wombatrpgs
Or you could just say that there is no such thing as music, and all sound is simply noise. Music is just a human construct for anything that sounds pleasing.
David_Pardy
Music is noise that sounds nice Wink.
Shewolf
nTonio wrote:

Some often says (me including) that the sound of V8 engine is beautiful music, but is only a metaphor. It is actually a noise, of a machine that I like!

Some composers in the early 20th century brought air plane engines on stage for making noise during the performance, and I do think they did call their work music...
To me music is sound in a system, human made that is. Even though raindrops can create melodies, and so do birds as well, that's not music. It's just pure sound, never noise, and of course you might enjoy those things as well.