FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac or not?

Do you prefer macs or regular computers?
Macs
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Regular computers
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

gink8000
I'll be getting a new computer soon, and I can't decide to get a mac or not.
I love macs, but not all software is compatible with them, and I do a fair amount of programming so I need it to run on whichever computer I have.
DarkAkira
I say go with the mac. For the most part, it has all the software you need

If there is something that you need that it doesn't have natively, you can just run a copy of windows on it using VMWare Fusion or Parallels desktop. I say those because boot camp requires a partition, and that's lame.

SO far it's worked out fine for me. The only thing I have needed from windows is the ability to use MS Publisher, and that's only once in a great while, and its because dumb customers at work send me .pub files instead of .pdf. Even though I say "SEND ME PDFS RETARDS". I hate .pub files... always yelling at me for not having peoples dumb random fonts. Pfft.
mehulved
I personally wouldn't buy a mac, cos I prefer linux/freebsd.
But, if you so want a mac, try out a demo at your nearest apple store, they freely allow you to test out a few things and show nice demo's if you want to get familiar with macs. Then you can list down the list of things you need to do and ask on some apple forum/list about the availability of apps for these functions. And if you have a spare legal copy of Windows you can install it on parallel's and get going if you're really stuck somewhere.
Today all OS's have software for most common functions, just that they maybe a little different and need to get used to.
kansloos
In europe Apple is a bit overpriced and I don't like the Global Apple window menu thingy.
So I vote regular.
Subaru
Let's think... I heard that Mac OS X 10 can run on regular PC Smile
I like Apple more and more ^_^
Oh yeah one small question if I can...
Let's say that Windows XP costs... 150$, what would be price for Mac OS??? I heard it must be bough (not like Linux which can be downloaded)
DarkAkira
Subaru wrote:
Let's think... I heard that Mac OS X 10 can run on regular PC Smile
I like Apple more and more ^_^
Oh yeah one small question if I can...
Let's say that Windows XP costs... 150$, what would be price for Mac OS??? I heard it must be bough (not like Linux which can be downloaded)

Mac OSX cannot be run on PC's out of the box. Doing so requires using OSX86, and that is a community driven project with no support from Apple, and limited hardware support.

And OS X costs $129.
wmmullaney
macs are much better
Vaemz
If you need a large amount of non-Mac supported software I'd go for a Windows pc because it's pretty shady to buy a Mac if you're using some virtual machine to run Windows based applications instead of Mac OSX.