FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing OS X in a computer other than a Mac

ainieas
Hey can someone please tell me if it is possible to install OS X in a computer other than a Mac. Once installed I believe features of the Mac such as a multi touch touchpad may not work but what about the softwares, would they work? What other features would not work?
Also would the OS need the drivers for sound, video etc to be installed externally?

I got a Athlon 64-bit 1.9 GHrz laptop, 1.5 GB RAM and am thinking of getting OS X installed, if possible.
Srs2388
I find that funny as hell.... I was just going to make a new topic saying im posting from my inspiron 1501...
but instead of vista I am using Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2
everything except the sound works. I am working on that right now though. I will edit my post with a screenshot in a few.
PM me because you aren't allowed to do anything regarding illegal activities.
Srs2388
Here is the more accurate info in the machine...
here is what it shows up as in the system profiler
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Speed: 1.9 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 200 MHz
Boot ROM Version: BOOT.EFI.V80

here are two screenshots.. if you want more of spaces or something i'll show you that too..

Here is the desktop

here it is with the "about this mac" thing...
the processor info is wrong, because it's a duo core it shows it in the system profiler...

this thing FLIES.
I have it set on just normal.. it has a "better energy saver" "Normal" "better performance"

it is possible tho Razz obviously.
[FuN]goku
Srs2388 wrote:
I find that funny as hell.... I was just going to make a new topic saying im posting from my inspiron 1501...

XD i'm not the only one with an inspiron 1501 Very Happy hehe i wanted to know this same thing if you could use mac on something other than a mac (lol) Just to see if i could obtain a copy so i could gather some knowledge of OS X cuz i'm not as familliar with it as i am windows and linux.
ainieas
what about the softwares and the functions? which ones are you able to use and which ones you aren't?
Srs2388
so far I haven't had any software not work that I have tried. I installed frostwire last night... it's the equivalent to limewire for windows.
for the inspiron 1501 though... everything works out of the box if you want to install os x.
i also have mac os x 10.4.8 on another dell I should upgrade it to leopard too Smile
now on certain machines you'll run into lots of problems with hardware not working.... the dell inspiron 1501 with the AMD patch of course it works flawlessly.. I would like to get the bootscreen instead of all the black and white text...
[FuN]goku
Srs2388 wrote:
so far I haven't had any software not work that I have tried. I installed frostwire last night... it's the equivalent to limewire for windows.

Just wanted to point something out Razz

Frostwire is multi-platform and opensource. Alot of the ex-limewire devs are the ones working on frostwire. It's a fork of limewire Razz

Anyways, since you have the same laptop as me (the model anyways),
How does it run? Fast, slow? Any problems?
mehulved
Isn't it illegal to use Mac on anything other than Apple supplied hardware as per the Terms and Conditions?
Though, of course there's projects out there to let you run Mac OS on your PC, as we have seen in some of the above posts.
swizzy
1. Its Illegal
2. All updates seem to break hackintosh
3. Its pretty much unstable on other hardware, which actually defeats the purpose of buying a mac
4. It does not work as its supposed to, i.e. trouble with dual booting (for a actual mac, its very easy, otherwise you have to use tboot, etc.)
5. Its cool with all the matching apple hardware, multitouch, media keys.
Srs2388
It runs very fast. I had a few small problems I fixed.
the only hardware problem was the sound card... I still don't have sound Sad
but i could just buy a USB sound card and it would work then.
edit: I tried parallels and it wouldn't work on it... that's the only software I've found that hasn't worked on it...
Studio Madcrow
Athlon hardware doesn't really work well because Mac OS X wasn't designed to run on AMD. If you have a spare Intel box around, I'd suggest you try that instead.
Srs2388
There is an AMD dual core processor in the computer it's running on... and everything on the whole thing is compatible.. except the audio.
i was shocked when it worked with an AMD chip.
i also have tiger on this machine dual booted with xp.. it works really well.. but again no audio it has a sound blaster live chip..
it all depends on the kernel you run and the patches you apply. very easy to install on an AMD based machine.
Srs2388
i do have a question... about the specs.
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Speed: 1.9 GHz
Total Number Of Cores: 2
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 200 MHz
Boot ROM Version: BOOT.EFI.V80

is this good for today?
surdy
Srs2388 wrote:
but instead of vista I am using Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2
everything except the sound works. I am working on that right now though. I will edit my post with a screenshot in a few.
PM me because you aren't allowed to do anything regarding illegal activities.

Ohh great!! Even i tried it on my Hp Pavilion notebook.
Everything worked for me except sound and wireless.

Did you wireless work ?? ..if yes which wireless card do you have

Thanks
ainieas
Do you get external sound and wifi drivers for the OS X if you were to install them in another computer and there's no sound?
creativfrequenci
I have a kalway DVD... i tired installing two time but after installation it didn't boot succesfully both the times... i ll give my configuration can u help in the process like selecting the kernel, patches, etc.

AMD Athlon 6000+ [64bit]
ASUS MTN-SLI Deluxe
Nvidia G force 8400
500GB SATA Hard disk
80GB ATA Hard disc

And also tell me installing in SATA hard disk is better or ATA?
hunnyhiteshseth
Well from your posts i cannot understand how you installed OSX.(I guess you must have PMed Ainied).

Anyway one thing which i think could work and without any problem in sound card is Virtual Machine. You can get a virtualization software like VMware(paid) or Innotec VirtualBox(free) and try installing OSX in them.
Now, i do not know whether they could emulate MAC or not, but i think its definitely worth trying.
fadirocks
what's this new device you hook up to your computer and you can install official Mac OS X without any hacks??? i read that somewhere but forgot where