FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EA giving out the Original C&C: Red Alert for free

jambler
As a promotion for the 13th aniversary of the release of Command and Conquer: Red Alert and the release of the third installment of the series, EA is giving away the original game on their website. This is not illegal or a pirated copy, but a direct release from EA Games.

http://www.ea.com/redalert/news-detail.jsp?id=62

Enjoy!
bogger
w00t!!!

Time to have FUNNNNNN. this is the best game EVER, I'm gonna go download it now, in fact
David_Pardy
I'll download it as soon as I remember when I'm at home!

Even if I don't have the time to play it, it'll be great to finally have a copy! I used to play it at my friend's house.
QrafTee
Doesn't work on Vista... and now I can't get it off... Time to reformat soon.
xcloudy
well, RA could run on my Vista, but without network capacity:(
Nameless
Awesome. Smile More game companies need to do this with more games ... it's not like they're still selling them anymore anyway, and it's certainly good publicity(/advertising) for them.
cavedog2
Hmm nice I'm downloading it now. Smile
mattyj
Man i havent played Red Alert for years...used to play Network games with mates for hours!

Downloading now, cheers for the link!
achowles
I've already got it as a part of First Decade. It's a great game though. Certainly worth the download.
bigt
This game is great! I downloaded it the other day, thanks!
catscratches
Nameless wrote:
Awesome. Smile More game companies need to do this with more games ... it's not like they're still selling them anymore anyway, and it's certainly good publicity(/advertising) for them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_games_released_as_freeware
Josh1billion
Nice. I already have it, but it may be more convenient to download it than to search for the disc. Razz

On a related note, Midway's Area 51 was released for free a couple of weeks ago (not the arcade shooter of the 90's, but instead, the crappy FPS of 2005). It's not really even worth downloading, though. Confused
lastelement0
thanks for that link to a list of other games that have been released as freeware. while im sure most of those aren't really worth the download, there are probably some that are gems.
blk3
So its been that long 13 yrs. As far as I could remember I didn't get to play the first Red Alert game (was this the one with Albert Einstein???) so this download would be great. I hope all the other game companies follow this example, I mean rather share it than for this great games to fade away.
prithvi
Thanks for the info.
Never played this game before.

Downloading it.......will check it out.
blk3
I've searched for gameplay video first before downloading it. I think it was Red Alert 2 that I'm familiar with not this one. The graphics seems to be way outdated for me, so I decided not to download it. Maybe I'll just wait for Red Alert 2 to become available for free download, maybe a few years from now, when Red Alert 4 is made.
TheOnionRack
It is annoying that older games that used IPX for their network protocols don't work on Vista. There is a hack out there, but I don't have the guts to try it out for the fear of breaking something. RA2 was orsm too. The whole thing behind 2 discs was cool, because you could let a friend borrow a disc and you could both play online with it. Some games still do that, but you both need a unique CD serial key, which kinda defeats the point. (Yes, I'm pointing at the masters of DRM... EA!)
Psycho_X52
So nice of them Smile I've played a lot of RTS, but I never tried this. Now that it's free I'll gine it a go.
legion
Wow. I can't believe it. EA is giving something free. Laughing

One of the best RTS ever Twisted Evil
Cove
Sweet! I've been looking for something to play on the train on the way home xD My friend has all of these and always tells me how great they are. I'm cheap, so free is the right price.
prithvi
Cove wrote:
.....I'm cheap, so free is the right price.

Hide, the ticket-checker is coming! Wink
Kelcey
This is awfully cool of them. I liked the original Red Alert.
Faraz
This is great!!!
swizzy
Seriously impressed to see EA do this, i loved the Grand Theft Auto 1, 2 versions when Rockstar gave them out for free
misterXY
catscratches wrote:
Nameless wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_games_released_as_freeware

Thanks for the list. Also here's a list of open source games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games
Starrfoxx
I was amazed to see EA release these games for free download. I have yet to check them out, but I'm looking forward to it. I need to burn them to a DVD or something and make room off my hard drive.
o2o213o2
im downloading the lastest version: Red Alert 3 - it is too big size
QrafTee
o2o213o2 wrote:
im downloading the lastest version: Red Alert 3 - it is too big size

Are you talking about the demo?
misterXY
Starrfoxx wrote:
I was amazed to see EA release these games for free download. I have yet to check them out, but I'm looking forward to it. I need to burn them to a DVD or something and make room off my hard drive.

It is amazing they're giving something free. l have a feeling theres a catch.
catscratches
misterXY wrote:
Starrfoxx wrote:

It's been 13 years. They don't earn a penny of it anymore so why not?
misterXY
catscratches wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Starrfoxx wrote:

It's been 13 years. They don't earn a penny of it anymore so why not?

l bought it a few years ago instead of downloading it, well l did anyways, and l had it before and broke, so they earn little bit of money, plus they can sell you're registration info maybe? How do you think callcenters get you're information? l used too work at one.
umeshtangnu
wow thanks for news
one of the best games ever
downloading it asap
j00gotpwnd
Thank you so much for the link! I haven't ever played this game, but I did play the CC shooter. Don't remember the name of it though. Anyway, I am now downloading both discs! Thanks again!
catscratches
j00gotpwnd wrote:
Thank you so much for the link! I haven't ever played this game, but I did play the CC shooter. Don't remember the name of it though. Anyway, I am now downloading both discs! Thanks again!
It's called Command & Conquer: Renegade.
j00gotpwnd
Yep, that was the one. After you said it I totally remember now. I wonder if I still have the disc lying around...Man that was so long ago! Thanks for remembering the name for me Smile