FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Unsure where to put] Picture-Tube Screen Burn

Diablosblizz
First, sorry but I am unsure where to post this. Anyways, to the point. I have bought a Wii system a few days ago and it's wonderful. Very interactive and I love it. Today, I purchased Rock Band for the Wii. It's AWESOME! Now, keep this in mind, I have only played the game for maybe an hour and a half. After enough of playing I turned off the Wii, switched back from Video to television and walked away.

After about another hour or two, I want to play again. All is fine until I turn on the Wii and go to Rock Band. When the screen goes black (switching to the logos at the beginning) I see a scrolling line across my screen. The line goes from the top of my television to the bottom. Alright, I saw an option in the Wii settings to reduce / remove screen burn. So I enabled that, and nothing happened. I don't like this, because I have a picture-tube television and it's not technically mine (my parents).

The television does have surround sound, so there is an amp. The AMP plugs into Video 2 on my television, so anything I plug into the AMP I must switch to Video 2 on my TV. The Wii is plugged into the Video 4 input on the AMP, so I must switch to Video 4 on the AMP and Video 2 on the TV (I hope you understand that).

So basically, my question is why the heck is it doing this, and how can I fix it? My parents are saying move it down to a small cruddy television with NO surround sound, and I DON'T want to go downstairs to play. Also, the screen burn is also at the Wii Menu. Thanks!
LukeakaDanish
First of all, try connecting your wii directly to the tv (not through the amp).

If that doesn't work you *could* try getting new cables, but most likely that wont help you.

If the really is something wrong with the tv, you will most likely be unable to fix it yourself. If there is a local electronics repair centre somewhere around where you live you could ask them for a price to look at the tv - maybe they'll be able to fix it - but most likely that is too expensive relative the the tv's price.

Thats my 0.02$

BTW: Cool sig Razz
Diablosblizz
I've figured out the problem, restarting the Wii appears to have fixed it. There might have been an error. From reading the manual it says a lot of things that I've been doing wrong. For example, the CD should always be removed before shutting down the system. The system shouldn't be sitting on the floor (which I had). I suppose some of it is common sense, but if it happens again I am phoning Nintendo and asking what's wrong.

For some reason I've been getting Disc errors while trying to load Wii sports, but I haven't gotten it since I moved it to a shelf. Anyways, the problem has fixed itself - and it thankfully was not screen burn.
LukeakaDanish
A quick question: was your wii next to anything potentially magnetic?

Coz that could cause the kind of problems.

I always leave the CD in the drive, and my wii is on the floor...there doesn't seem to be any problems with that...
Diablosblizz
Well, the AMP and DVD player is in a cabinet type thing underneath my television, and my Wii was outside of the cabnet so it was a good foot away from it. And this is no wood cabinet either, it has to hold like 200 pounds. Razz

Hey, do you have the Internet Channel for the Wii?
LukeakaDanish
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well, the AMP and DVD player is in a cabinet type thing underneath my television, and my Wii was outside of the cabnet so it was a good foot away from it. And this is no wood cabinet either, it has to hold like 200 pounds. Razz

Hey, do you have the Internet Channel for the Wii?

No, but I'm getting it soon
Diablosblizz
Ah dang, I wanted to know how it is. Razz I want to buy it as well, pretty awesome to have a browser on a television. Smile I am glad that I am a Nintendo Fan.
psycosquirrel
The browser on the Wii is awesome. It's nowhere near as functional as a real browser with keyboard and mouse, but for point-and-click, it is amazing!

I love going on YouTube and watching stuff on my TV through it, especially because I haven't gotten around to hooking my computer up to my TV.

I've never had any problems like yours. I have a 42" LCD HDTV with a similar surround setup to yours too. I'm not sure what could cause the problem.

I always leave the disc in my Wii. It does not sit on the floor though.
Diablosblizz
This is why I think there is something wrong with my Wii. I did put the disc in the wrong way the first day I got it, but I'm not sure if that would break the Wii or not.

Are the YouTube videos good when they're full screen (besides the horrible quality)? If I continue to get the disc problem then I am going to take it back to Wal-Mart and see if they'll replace it. If I see it again I may phone Nintendo and complain. Smile

Never gotten this from a Nintendo product (other than the N64 cause it was cartridge) so I am very disappointed.