FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS3 or Gaming computer (which is better)

IsraelYsrayl
I'm in the middle of deciding on which I should buy for great online gaming (PS3 or desktop that is made for online gaming)

Does anyone have any suggestions or expertise on which of the two I should aim for ? Think
balend
You should definitely go with a gaming computer. However, you;ll have to shed a lot more money if you want a computer that can handle most games.
QrafTee
What's a PSP3? If you mean PS3, they're going to be $399 for an 80GB model.

If you're shooting for a gaming PC, you can build a moderately good one using a $199 4850, a high-end one using a $299 4870, or a monstrous gaming rig using a $549 4570X2; keep in mind those are only the graphics cards.

You'll also need a: processor (Core2Duo or greater), a good motherboard, a pair of RAM (2GB at least at DDR2 or DDR3), a power supply (500W or greater), a case, a monitor, and peripherals.
haydxn
Anyone with this dilemma clearly doesn't understand enough about gaming!

You always go for the platform with the games you want to play

Look at the upcoming releases if the games already out don't give you enough info to make a decision...

Just bear in mind that (1) there are more games to choose from on PC, and (2) there are some games that you just won't get on the PC.
catscratches
(3) You can do a lot more on a PC besides playing games.
william
As stated before, it all depends on the games you want to play. If the PS3 exclusives are what you like, get a Playstation 3. If the games you want are on the PC, then build a gaming machine. Personally, there isn't any exclusive on the PS3 that would make me want to purchase it. I could invest that in a Radeon HD 48x0 or two and either use them as an upgrade, or for building a new PC. Remember, a PC can do a lot more than a PS3. Performance would annihilate the PS3 and often make some of the PS3 graphics not so special.

Either way, I personally would go with a PC, but that's because it has the games I want, and it does more than any console. You have to decide which machine has the games you want and make your purchase based on that.

Best of luck! Very Happy
IsraelYsrayl
Thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated....Now my next step is to do homework on buying a good gaming computer, based on the information that's on this post...

Dancing
gullip
I like both. The ps3 is sweet on my 50" pioneer. But I hate playing FPS games with a controller.
The playstation has some games there are only for playstation. I like the new GTA that's pretty nice. And the release date is in the future some time. So that's suck a little Smile

Another + for the playstation is the low price. You can not buy a powerful PC with the same specs as the playstation for the same price..
Another - for the playstation is the high prices for games. (cheapest at ebay)...

Personally I could be without the playstation. But I can not be without a computer.
Nehallyn
There are benefits to both platforms. Computers can vastly out-power any console, but they keep costing you money to upgrade. You can also use your computer for other things, such as productivity tasks, while a PS3 is strictly entertainment.

However, a PS3 has great graphics power, and all the games made for it will run on your console, no need to buy upgrades. You can use the PS3 to play Blu-Ray, DVDs, and many other types of media as well as use it to store photos.

You also need to consider what controller you are more comfortable with. As a long time PC gamer, it took me some time to become adept at the Xbox 360 controls. As well, a console gamer might find it difficult to adjust to using a mouse and keyboard.

As for games, that's not the biggest problem. You can always find a game you like, no matter which platform you choose. The Xbox, for example, has over 470 different titles available in stores or over Xbox Live. The PC has thousands upon thousands available to buy or download. I am not certain about the PS3, but I'm pretty sure it has hundreds of titles as well. That makes for a huge library to choose from to find something that fits you.
QrafTee
Nehallyn wrote:
There are benefits to both platforms. Computers can vastly out-power any console, but they keep costing you money to upgrade. You can also use your computer for other things, such as productivity tasks, while a PS3 is strictly entertainment.

However, a PS3 has great graphics power, and all the games made for it will run on your console, no need to buy upgrades. You can use the PS3 to play Blu-Ray, DVDs, and many other types of media as well as use it to store photos.

You also need to consider what controller you are more comfortable with. As a long time PC gamer, it took me some time to become adept at the Xbox 360 controls. As well, a console gamer might find it difficult to adjust to using a mouse and keyboard.

As for games, that's not the biggest problem. You can always find a game you like, no matter which platform you choose. The Xbox, for example, has over 470 different titles available in stores or over Xbox Live. The PC has thousands upon thousands available to buy or download. I am not certain about the PS3, but I'm pretty sure it has hundreds of titles as well. That makes for a huge library to choose from to find something that fits you.

Kinda true... but PCs have the worse support for Fighting games and Sports games. If you're into any of those two games and in a big way, avoid the PC because those games plain suck on the PC.
enygmasoft
QrafTee wrote:
Nehallyn wrote:

Kinda true... but PCs have the worse support for Fighting games and Sports games. If you're into any of those two games and in a big way, avoid the PC because those games plain suck on the PC.

I agree that its the games that make the consoles worth buying, Zelda has been the only reason to buy every nintendo system ever made.
Kunkstar7
enygmasoft wrote:

I agree that its the games that make the consoles worth buying, Zelda has been the only reason to buy every nintendo system ever made.

I think I might just agree with that statement Razz Not entirely true, but close.

As for Gaming computer versus PS3, I think the PS3 probably will have the advantage in the amount of games eventually, but you just can't match the abilities a computer has that consoles don't. At least for now, until the consoles are pretty much a computer in themselves.
Kelcey
Depends. The computer can do more things... if you need them, then yeah get a computer. Then after that it depends on game selection. If you don't like any games on PS3 or PC then the answer is pretty obvious. Any kind of power in either system is worthless if you don't like the games.
jofi
I think PC is better but all time coming better computers and need them for new games Mad
QrafTee
You will be paying more of a gaming PC and you may start paying more for upgrades when the time comes. Upgrades don't usually come in $50 increments either, you're looking at AT LEAST $150 increments in video cards, $70 for DDR2 RAM, $250 for DDR3 RAM, $100 for motherboard, $200 for a new GOOD processor.
RuoCrage
I am all for the gaming pc as i am going to buy one soon it will cost about 1098 but it will be worth it Very Happy

As stated before, it all depends on the games you want to play. If the PS3 exclusives are what you like, get a Playstation 3. If the games you want are on the PC, then build a gaming machine. Personally, there isn't any exclusive on the PS3 that would make me want to purchase it. I could invest that in a Radeon HD 48x0 or two and either use them as an upgrade, or for building a new PC. Remember, a PC can do a lot more than a PS3. Performance would annihilate the PS3 and often make some of the PS3 graphics not so special.

Either way, I personally would go with a PC, but that's because it has the games I want, and it does more than any console. You have to decide which machine has the games you want and make your purchase based on that.

RuoCrage
IsraelYsrayl wrote:
I'm in the middle of deciding on which I should buy for great online gaming (PS3 or desktop that is made for online gaming)

Does anyone have any suggestions or expertise on which of the two I should aim for ? Think

Defunately a pc Smile
Fake
Hands down. PC!

No gaming platform comes near to a good PC
Kcin1
I'm a big fan of FPS and RTS games and for that nothing beats the mouse and keyboard. So I would say PC
Pikokola
PC. No hard feeling...
IMO If you wants to play some console game, you "maybe" can play it on PC, with some limitation of course, or maybe even better, they release the PC version.
But it's nearly impossible for you to play PC exclusive games on console.
RosenCruz
gaming pc is my opinion .....!ps3 never gives me the feeling of a PC to me ...
Nameless
Gaming PC.

If nothing else, for freeware.
spinout
go for the PS3 - no viruses or so...
Hm, well I always played on computers, from the early 80s yil now, but the ps3 is a better system all fitts all my needs.
Seiji
PS3 is going to be cheaper than a PC, you're going to have to replace both in a few years, either a new console will be getting released or your PC will be outdated. Well it'll be a long time before another generation of consoles are out. You get better games with the PS3, like GTA IV is already out and I'm still waiting for it come out in November (I'm a PC Gamer). Each has its pros and cons. The keyboard and mouse isn't for everyone, and the joystick isn't for everyone.
Starrfoxx
PS3 would be cheaper than a PC, but I prefer a PC because you can do many more things with a PC than just play games. Plus you can build it up as your budget allows.

Blu-ray to me is not that big of a deal. Yeah it looks nice, but I am fine with DVD. Now an Xbox 360 on the other hand..... Very Happy